Smogon Grand Slam - Introduction

Discussion in 'Smogon Grand Slam' started by Iconic, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jcpdragonx

Jcpdragonx

Sorry if I missed something but will the new tutor moves be used in this?
  2. Zebraiken

Zebraiken with splinters in our teeth, we're driven from our parallels
    is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Super Moderator Alumnus

BW2 is due for release in June sometime in Japan, so yes, most likely.
  3. Marshall.Law

Marshall.Law

It seems great
  4. blarajan

blarajan i was born under the same star as shakeitup
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Little Cup Leader

[01:57] <+blarajan> YO
    [01:57] <+blarajan> QUESTION
    [01:57] <+blarajan> is grand slam going to be bw or will it take bw2 tiers into account?
    [01:57] <+blarajan> cause that'll be obnoxious as fuck
    [01:58] <+blarajan> since everyone has been trying to learn current uu ru uber nu lc for the tour
    [01:58] <+blarajan> switching over to bw2 will be a huge kick in the balls
  5. Morgenstern

Morgenstern

looking forward to it :O (starts building UU team)
  6. Darkaxis

Darkaxis

Ubers is about to get rocked.
  7. DestinyUnknown

DestinyUnknown An obsession with the past is like a dead fly
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus

That's ignoring the fact that we will have to wait for PO developers till they include new moves and etc with a new PO version, and I heard coyotte is disappeared.
  8. Full2Half

Full2Half

Cant wait. Time to go to top 10 NU then choke like a little bitch. *tries to learn the other tiers*
  9. Zebraiken

Zebraiken with splinters in our teeth, we're driven from our parallels
    is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Super Moderator Alumnus

I know this has been brought up before, but can we consider changing the schedule so the Uber Open is the first to be played? Ubers (and LC to a lesser extent) is the tier least likely to be affected by tier changes or BW2 move tutors etc, so to me it makes sense that it should go first in order to allow players a little bit longer to accommodate to the changes that the tier shifts / BW2 will bring. I can't think of any reason not to, at least.
  10. SOMALIA

SOMALIA Boxing
    is a Contributor Alumnus

[​IMG]

We are coming to snatch this tourny trophy.
  11. Iconic

Iconic
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

just a couple updates. zebraiken will be taking over hosting duties for the NU open following tennisace's retirement. secondly, we're still mulling over whether grand slam will be bw or bw2. even though the first open is in a month, which gives a lot of time for tiers to settle, tiering updates won't take effect until october (according to worms) so i'm afraid we might still be playing in tiers with a bunch of broken stuff. anyways stay tuned, we'll keep you updated
  12. AuraRayquaza

AuraRayquaza

I think that we should play in bw because for the past few months, poeple have been preparing teams based on the bw metagame, not the bw2 ones because they didnt know any of the changes made, or released pokemon. If we playin bw2, everyone will have to make 5 new teams, and learn 5 new metagames, in the space of a month or 2. That would just make all of our past efforts a waste and i feel that more time is needed to learn a metagame. Just my opinion.
  13. chaorboy

chaorboy

i'm definitely in and in it to win it... i just need to learn 5 new metagames
  14. SethZiBritannia

SethZiBritannia

I'm up to see it be BW2 to benefit those of us who haven't been preparing as much and are just starting now like me :3

logically though it probably shouldn't be BW2.
  15. AuraRayquaza

AuraRayquaza

Lol maybe you should have started sooner
  16. Nova

Nova fromlomostreet
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

At least 15 teams, it's bo3 ;)
  17. SOMALIA

SOMALIA Boxing
    is a Contributor Alumnus

bw 2 fuck bw
  18. AuraRayquaza

AuraRayquaza

oh :/ but that just adds to my point, 15 new teams is a lot!

(seems like I need to make 10 new teams...)
  19. FelixMinamimoto

FelixMinamimoto

motion for it to be bw2 because damn my LC team is gonna be awesome if it's bw2.
    Stuff may have settled or at least we'll know what shit is broken by then.
  20. -Manu-

-Manu-

BW is better because it's a metagame stable for the quality of the tournament I think it's important.
  21. kokoloko

kokoloko I fill the bag.
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Winner
    Underused Leader

Should really be BW2... no one is going to want to go back to playing BW1 by the time this actually starts.
  22. complete legitimacy

complete legitimacy one for the future
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

To add to this, with the new dropdowns that affect UU, RU, and NU, you'll end up playing completely different metagames that never existed before and won't exist again. If you choose to go with "BW1", you'll actually be alienating the playerbase even further because for the three tiers that I just mentioned, it'll be a completely new metagame anyway. However, BW2 gives everyone a chance to actually practice in that metagame first, and especially into the later Opens it'll be a better option.
  23. Vinc2612

Vinc2612 I guess I'll never learn
    is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderator

No, the main problem is that BW2 DOES NOT give a chance to practice. The tournament will start in 10 days.
  24. Ginku

Ginku Farbenprächtig
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Agreeing that it should be bw2 because honestly playing the old bw now seems incredibly boring, and while it's true that this doesn't leave much time (although I would argue that it's enough, especially considering how far away the later opens are), this puts everyone in the same situation, so it's not like playing bw is more fair.
  25. Vinc2612

Vinc2612 I guess I'll never learn
    is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderator

Well, it looks like half of the players won't be happy with the tier, whatever it is. But we need to know what will we play.

The TD probably don't know yet, but could you answer as soon as possible please ?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)