The Anti-Hax Formula: Curtain Call

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was considering posting a lot in the thread, but I decided that I should "stay in character". Promise to "look into it" but instead just debate about it on IRC (and then complain about how I prefer debating in forums).

I tried to frame the debate as "current hax formula" or "stronger hax formula" by putting myself on the side of "The hax formula doesn't overturn enough" so that I could debate with people who "support" it. We could easily ignore other opinions. I've found that if there are three positions, only debating one of the other two is a good way to shut down the third.

I'm gullible. I never had any doubt in my mind that it was completely legit, and I also supported it after reading about it.
Great idea for a prank. I checked smogon this morning, and said to myself "smogon has an extremely lame and stupid April fools joke" after seeing the red herrings. Looks like I was wrong; this was brilliant.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
u
n
r
e
a
l

tricking an entire community to perfection...doug why arent you playing mafia?? :p

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
That was excellent. Even now, the debates in PR seem real. The posting of the veterans was a bit suspicious, but even then, the whole thing was just well-performed. Kudos.

I tried to post in here twice that i thought it was april fools, but it got instantly deleted both times.
For what it's worth, I saw one of those posts before they killed it, and I edited my post (which was above it) with a response, and they killed that too.

I tried to frame the debate as "current hax formula" or "stronger hax formula" by putting myself on the side of "The hax formula doesn't overturn enough" so that I could debate with people who "support" it. We could easily ignore other opinions. I've found that if there are three positions, only debating one of the other two is a good way to shut down the third.
I tried to do this last night, no one was helping me along. I think I made chrisisme kind of mad though.

Articuno64

1 to 63 were taken
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This was a lot of fun everyone! The majority of people who saw my ridiculous post probably don't know me, but I promise I'm not actually an asshole...

Great vision, Doug.

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
This was fantastic to be a part of. You're the man, Doug!

Nobody is going to know what's a joke and what isn't come next year. :)

EDIT: In retrospect, one of the coolest parts was the "White Knight" being sworn to "secrecy", and it turned out it was Noah. Brilliant!

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I liked how Noah had a post count of 11, even though this was supposedly his first post, according to his profile. Conceivably you (Doug) had him post and delete specifically to reach that number?

I liked how Noah had a post count of 11, even though this was supposedly his first post, according to his profile. Conceivably you (Doug) had him post and delete specifically to reach that number?
Apparently you can't get a badge if you have less than 10 posts, so doug had to give him fake posts in his post count to allow him to have the badge. (You've never seen gorm with 1,000,000+ posts have you lol)

brilliant

I almost was "the guy without PR acess who opened a topic complaing about the formula here" and I started to write it with something like: "I really hope this is a April's fool prank" but i didn't have time to finish it xD

Edit: wo translated tha first page? Google? It isn't very good. I'd do it if someone asked

As I KOed Blue Kirby's Skarmory with my Infernape, I fully expected that it would end up as a Win for me, when it actually gave the win to Blue Kirby. I got so mad that, without thinking, I quit without saving the log. Could you look at the formula and see what could have gone wrong with it?
I thought this was pretty hilarious too

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Actually, Noah is a real user. Just because you can't find his other 10 posts in his posting history doesn't mean they don't exist. There are hidden forums not all users (even regular mods!) can't read.

This is by far the best prank I've ever seen. Amazing job to everyone involved!
khz can lead the Mythology village if I die.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I am now going to research for a real win formula...

...actually no I won't do that.

Great job everyone!

(The fake tier lists were also there to detract from the real joke.)

I would just like to say the most fun part of this was getting to troll setrack in #biuret and making up fake battles that happened on the hax server.

And for the record, I am against this as well. :p
you never trolled me, i had you all sussed from the beginning. i was the one trolling you

hah i thought so. i knew something was fishy when certain people who i know wouldn't support such a thing started supporting it.

That was excellent. Even now, the debates in PR seem real. The posting of the veterans was a bit suspicious, but even then, the whole thing was just well-performed. Kudos.
<--- this the odd behavior of some of the PR posts made me think something is fishy here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)