I Am The Shinxe, koo koo (pi)kachu!

Shinxe

there and back again
is an Artist Alumnus
Whoa long time no see! It's finals and im dying squirtle

FOR INSTANCE these 7 pieces are due tomorrow morning at 9am (printed out all nice, too) so fml, etc etc. Assignment is for Digital Painting, a narrative with at least 3 panels. So most people are doing 3. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH ME

so much to do, but I will have to cut corners. Remember my glazing tutorial? There's probably such a thing as too much and I'm probably doing it.

annnnnd GO

god bless you if you can figure out what the goddamn hell the narrative is.

(sorry for stretching the page.)

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
i don't know what the fuck it is, but that sure doesn't stop me from loving it!

you have the most captivating style, shinxe...top-notch stuff as always~

Wishing you luck on the finals, and while I can't contrive what the narrative is about, I love the technique and your unique, detailed style!

Did the "roboman" fall into a cave saving her or something?

Anyway, the art was amazing as usual! My favorite was the first panel, makes me wonder what that society's architecture is like past the columns.

wowow shinxe! they're looking great, I love that robot(?)creature. Possibly late but good luck with your finals D:!!!

icepick

she brings the rain
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Wow, that just convinced me to give glazing a try. I love the subtle hues (along with everything else), great job.

The robot is striving to be human or have passion? And then is rewarded by the girl at the end for having it?

I don't know if I'm right, but, damn, is that impressive.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
My chin => the floor. WOW! That Fantastical House is quite simply the best thing ever. I am not crying... -sniff-

All of you art is amazing! :D This sort of stuff is the reason I go to Smeargle's Studio.

Shinxe

there and back again
is an Artist Alumnus
I will try and make PKMN art to post. But until then, here's some recent stuff. I have some PKMN stuff in the works, at least.

RCSI: The Wild Hunt
Fan art for the webcomic RCSI/Code Name: Hunter featuring one of my favorite European legends, The Wild Hunt. Unintentionally timed for the London Riots, where hopefully the looters are having their asses utterly handed to them by ladies with swords.

PROCESS FOR THIS IMAGE LINKED BELOW.

--

PROCESS IMAGE: http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/2349/processr.jpg

"Hope this is useful to somebody! It was such a ridiculous process of painting-over and moving-around that maybe it'd help others to see what's up. 6u9

1. I actually started with a thumbnail, then took it into Google Sketchup to pinpoint the perspective and forms. THEN took it back into PS and made the lineart and tilted the horizon, etc. See those parts here: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/6056795/

2. Underpainting. Just showing how I tried to use a warm base tone to set the mood and force myself to think of color and stuff. Or something.

3. This looks like a large jump, but it's really just blocking in semi-transparent over the orange. I start to decide on a mostly monochromatic palette of neutrals so when I add in Ruby's orange/red hair and tail, she'll pop out. I also want to make sure that everything is rather dark so that the lightest color is dark in comparison with Ruby's pure white fur later. The dudes standing are a brush that I used to try and decide on scale.

4. I make the overall piece less cool and sketch in some BG elements.

5. I decide to switch Max to face the other way and begin to paint!

6. Trying to decide on placement... still painting some things...

7. Still figuring out placement! Argh! I also make the background cooler to counteract all the warm sludgey colors starting to happen.

8. REFINING. I moved the horseman down, cropped the piece in, moved Max forward so he's bigger, and so on.

9. Still refining... I add the overall texture to the piece on a separate layer and lock it, and paint ONLY under that from now on.

10. Refining and adding textures to the buildings, sidewalks, etc. I want there to be a lot of detail that just sort of fades back and reads as 'stuff' without painting it all in. Textures from DeviantArt.

11. FINISHED. I changed the colors so that it's a little more striking and varied without being too crazy. Pinks and blues help to bring out the stark white and blacks of the foreground (I hope?). I did this by making a new layer of the entire image, using Photoshop's AUTO TONE, liking it, and putting the transparency of that down to 50%. It's fun to see how the program handles a painting when you use the Photo-editing tools.

Throughout all this, I used the following techniques:
-Glazing & Masking (http://www.furaffinity.net/view/5347189/) for large color changing, value-changing, and so on. I would copy the entire image, paste it on a new layer, make it much higher contrast, then use a mask so that only select images showed the change. I also used this for sharpening and blurring certain parts of the image; somewhere in there I made two new layers of the ENTIRE image (I merge everything constantly so it's essentially one layer), blurred one out with 'Blur More' and Sharpened the other. Then I put a mask on the Sharpen layer and brought out only the foreground figures that I wanted there to be focus on.

-As I said, I constantly merge layers. When I do a major merge, I save it in a separate file so I will have the past layers in case I realize I've fucked up. So I have 6 PSD files of this painting. I don't name my layers for this reason, except in the setup stage when I'm significantly moving everything around in big chunks.

-I used a lot of different brushes in this, but I'm still learning how to use brushes to their best purposes.

-I was messy-- or, if you like, FEARLESS-- and even if everything was one layer but I had to move the horseman down slightly-- I'd just select him and copy him to a new layer, and do that, then paint over it.

Anyway, just revisiting my process and thought you'd be interested in hearing about it!

Characters Ruby & Max, and the comic Code Name: Hunter belong to:
http://www.codenamehunter.com/

Shinxe

there and back again
is an Artist Alumnus
And an image of my gryphon character, Tierney. Someday this will be all painted up with a background, lol. But still, wow, Shinxe does lineart!

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
wait....did I unconscious start using that sound effects in your title....(koo koo kachu). Also, you should change it to coo coo kachu, so the acro isn't KKK C:

also, that detail!!

EDIT:
ku klux klan? I'm confused too right now :/
because I say coo coo kachoo sometimes randomly but I didn't get that from your title

Shinxe

there and back again
is an Artist Alumnus
Kinneas: Look to my coming, at first light, on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East.

V0x, I'm kind of confused, since as a Bostonian, I couldn't figure out how KKK means New York Yankees?

Shinxe

there and back again
is an Artist Alumnus
Thanks Eos, I will NEVER STOP ARTING. I'll be doing another, albeit quicker, illustration for the upcoming Smog, so I hope you'll like that one too!

V0x I was being facetious because I highly doubt anybody is going to glean a Klan message from koo koo (pi)kachu, and it's from I Am The Walrus.

Nice to see you back, Shinxe! That fanart of yours is truly awe inspiring! Every detail stands out in that very busy/action-packed scene. Can't wait to see more work of yours!

Shinxe

there and back again
is an Artist Alumnus
Thanks Jarardo!

Here's a Pokemon-themed sketch that I did after running into an Emolga for the first time in Pokemon White. I laughed and, because apparently Top Gun is always in my mind, thought it'd be hilarious to name one Maverick.

Then I drew an Emolga anthro in a wingsuit and her name is Maverick and I may draw a version of her that is "tiny, short but fit overcompensating hilariously tetchy butch" because I see a lot of those in Boston and they're obnoxious and yet pitifully funny.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)