Platinum/HG/SS Battle Frontier and DP Battle Tower Records

I got through 1 - 49 in Single Battle Tower in 98 minutes yesterday, primarily using this team:

Gengar / Timid @ Focus Sash: Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt / HP Ice 69 / Destiny Bond
Heatran / Timid @ Life Orb: Flamethrower / Earth Power / Dragon Pulse / Explosion
Flygon / Adamant @ Choice Scarf: Earthquake / Outrage / U-Turn / Fire Punch

I used this in place of Gengar (and Heatran had Choice Specs) in the first three or 4 sets though:
Jolteon / Modest @ Life Orb: Thunderbolt / HP Ice 70 / Shadow Ball / Signal Beam

Strategy should be obvious. Gengar and Heatran do most of the work. Actually Jolteon (in the early streaks) and Gengar do most of the work for most battles. Heatran resists all of Gengar's weaknesses, so Heatran can come in to KO stuffs fairly easily. Other than OHKOing all the opponents, the fastest battles would be Gengar 2HKOing something, Destiny Bond the 2nd, and Heatran explodes on the 3rd, if Heatran is faster, or surviving a hit and then explode, whatever works. Flygon is there for the Steel + Dragon combo so that after Gengar faints, the combo is still good, etc.

I'm using my real team to continue my streak now. It's proceeding a lot slower.

[SIZE=+1]FREE SHINIES![/SIZE]
i traed u a lvel 100 darkie iz legit.

Now that I grabbed some attention... Jumpman, please don't miss this question:

Did the same thing happen to you that occurred to Peterko - the cycle of trainers restarting from the first ones with NFEs, then facing Palmer again?
ah good question - i totally forgot about that (and i really wanted to see if it happened in the castle too). i guess it must have happened...?

I've wondered about that too - it may be as relevant or irrelevant as the percentages said by Factory (BAN ME PLEASE) Thorton before battle... at least in this case we could actually test theories by noting which door is used and then which trainers/pokes.

But I'd place my bet on it being completely irrelevant...
yeah almost certainly irrelevant i guess. but maybe i should start paying attention.

I always thought that the ride in the lift then the corridor with the four doors functioned as a loading screen. There's no real point to it at all, you don't even control your character, but it's prettier and more 'kayfabe' than 'LOADING BT TRAINERS AND MOVESETS PLEASE WAIT'. Other areas of the game don't need loading screens, but a BT run probably requires more 'thinking time' as it generates trainers and their pokes and retrieves movesets, then checks items aren't duplicated on a trainer, randomises natures and abilities etc.

I could be completely wrong and the doors could in fact signify which group of trainers you'll be facing - but I'd bet that the door is chosen randomly, to give us something to look at that changes each time, but doesn't cost anything during loading.
i think there is actually way less "loading" than you might think. im basing this off things mingot has told me, but for example when you receive an egg theres a whole "dah dadada da da da dah" thing, which i always assumed was the game "thinking" about the egg, but really it is completely created the instant you press A to talk to the guy. im guessing the whole thing of choosing the AI trainers etc is done extremely quickly.

its not entirely related, but i really miss how in emerald the further you got in your streak, the longer the elevator would be going up for!

For those who care, I will retry the tower with a lvl 1 frisk Shuppet and a lvl 2 magic guard Clefable.
i really like your team :) especially the nickname on your bronzong! would suit a porygon also.....

it would be absolutely hilarious if you managed to go a long way with two pokemon of level 2 or less - i for one am keen to hear how that turns out!

bozo i'm not sure about the doors thing... it really hasn't been apparent to me if it has but i'll start paying attention to see if i can learn something.

i have a spreadsheet for this streak with every trainer, pokemon and set number, their move choice, who i swapped in and how far i got set up

no choke getting onto the boards! i'm at 175 now and very happy that i've finally cracked into the top 30.
good stuff - have fun passing people :)

I got through 1 - 49 in Single Battle Tower in 98 minutes yesterday
haha cool - someone else did it :) i think there is still a 4th spot available on the list for the first person who can be bothered to record their time.

I'm using my real team to continue my streak now. It's proceeding a lot slower.
good luck with that! what pokes are you using?

I'll try to get to at least 200 streak or so first (or until I lose). As much as I wanted to be original, it's really not too exciting of a team to talk about I think. So yah, I'll just see how far I get first.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
well, i for one assumed you were doing this ;)

so, i will add my congratulations - you did a really brilliant job! i'm still totally in awe of the drapion strategy. kinda combines registeel and salamence into one pokemon (and your "backup" is garchomp lol).
smart man, though i wouldn't expect anything less from an aussie (for reasons stated somewhere in my Well thread). i too have kinda laughed at the fact that my two most important pokemon are two mid-level UU pokemon and that my fallback would be #1 in OU if it weren't banned to ubers. as an aside, i still compare it to the current #1 scizor as far as fast setup is concerned, and i may have to give the edge to garchomp, i'm not sure. i've lost garchomp once maybe twice to QCes, which is pretty lame, but at once that has more to do with my backup pokemon than anything. chomp getting QCed sucks because those pokes have EQ, the only thing drapion is weak to, but mesprit can fuck with them. by the same token, even if scizor could get QCed by those eq pokes, latios wouldnt care all that much because they wouldn't be hitting him with "stab eq" cause of levitate. the pokemon scizor loses a sub to by virtue of its rather poor type coverage and lack of speed, pokemon like entei and raikou and moltres and slowbro, are pokemon that latios can clean up very, very easily by himself...but are not pokemon that unboosted drapion wants much to do with.

so it kind of has more to do with team than anything else, but i love how murderous garchomp is after just one SD and without a sub. it would be different if they had similar base stats, like if scizor was a "fair" 100/130/115/75/95/85 to compare to garchomp's ever-ridiculous 108/130/95/80/85/102 (both are 600 BST). not to get too off track but both have respectable and not "lol heracross-like" SpA stats, and i would argue that garchomp's stat spread could almost not possibly be improved without lowering its SpA...maybe a 103/130/90/80/85/112 spread lol. this kind of shows you just how much of a bitch scizor is when it only has 70/130/100/55/80/65 stats...Garchomp has a clean 100 points on Scizor, and would have a spread of like 68/130/70/65/65/102 at BEST if we want to keep its two main statistical selling points intact (102 definitely and 130 just to keep that constant between the two). you can see how shitty this is defensively...it may not *matter* because chomp still has stab outrage/earthquake just like despite scizor's mediocre base stats it still has technician and stab priority and a 120bp/100acc move to cover its stab, but you see my point. (chomp could probably get away with like 110 base attack instead on a 500 BST spread for 68/110/80/65/75/102 but whatever.)

EDIT: the video is kinda blurry and i'm watching it at work - the original number was 2359, right? and you just played enough games to get to 2364 exactly? so, you're just gonna leave your game locked in that in-between stage? i'd finish the last two battles if i were you - i'd be scared of accidentally turning it on and then off, thereby ending the streak. and besides, it'd be good to take a good photo of the board.
yes, that's it. i'm not worried about the game turning off and on though, and i think the video is even better proof despite the blurriness

[SIZE=+1]FREE SHINIES![/SIZE]

Now that I grabbed some attention... Jumpman, please don't miss this question:

Did the same thing happen to you that occurred to Peterko - the cycle of trainers restarting from the first ones with NFEs, then facing Palmer again?
oh yeah, i did...i had some stuff i wanted to paste here but after editing the video and having the spectre of a 4-hour drive later in the day looming, i just wanted to go to bed (and that's why i haven't posted again yet i was away on business). i actually took quite a few battle videos for your viewing pleasure and id been noting them for a few months patiently in preparation for this:

CLS
263, lol politoed, broken win thanks to perish song: 32-02800-04969
272, metagross, fuck you etc: 14-97385-54942
351, "fuck regice". zapdos that could kill 75% scizor and "signal ball" but then latios. one of my toughest CLS battles to date: 81-97442-54714
Team Drapula II
484: lead skarmory, really showcases the strength of drapion here early: 15-61213-11288
862: example of dealing with a low-pp move and charming preemptively: 37-83435-33128
1067: fuck off regice (again) and retard ohko dewgong, drapion is a boss: 38-43201-62105
1198: lol cool let's qc ch with wood hammer and take me to 1 HP idiot...could safely Acu on last struggle because there was no longer a threat of "QC OHKO". could have been real lame if i had died 30-44234-01547
1580: fling hariyama, a little improvising kinda: 48-51073-77353
1616 chomp can dish it out, but...
1790: strength of flash, one opened up door for three, needed it against sb slowking (kinda): 95-10978-37915
1793: guess i lapped...lol. as though to remind me that there is still nothing to be taken for granted in pokemon, the game brings out a ground-immune poke: 67-49391-38891
2071: lead scarf (mold breaker) rampardos, only poke besides pinsir that drapion fears: 98-68466-52019

now that i'm like the stephen king of battle frontier cinematography i guess you guys would prefer it if i youtubed some of these ones too huh (at least those of you who have now subscribed to my youtube page lol)

now that i'm like the stephen king of battle frontier cinematography i guess you guys would prefer it if i youtubed some of these ones too huh (at least those of you who have now subscribed to my youtube page lol)
I'll be seriously laughing my ass off if you'll upload more of those frontier battles like the #1616 one with Palkia and that music, that was realy funny haha.

Are you realy gonna stop playing the frontier until someone (Peterko) goes beyond 2364?

i traed u a lvel 100 darkie iz legit.
k letz hav batle 4 keepz no ubers like lucrio thouhg

i think there is actually way less "loading" than you might think. im basing this off things mingot has told me, but for example when you receive an egg theres a whole "dah dadada da da da dah" thing, which i always assumed was the game "thinking" about the egg, but really it is completely created the instant you press A to talk to the guy. im guessing the whole thing of choosing the AI trainers etc is done extremely quickly.

its not entirely related, but i really miss how in emerald the further you got in your streak, the longer the elevator would be going up for!
I think so too, especially since the time spent in the elevator would surely be enough to at least generate the data for the first battle (perhaps it loads the next one after you win... I wouldn't know). Also, since Pokemon battles have such simple graphics, it would be able to focus more on loading the pseudo-random battle data.

Also, thank goodness the elevator doesn't behave like the one in Emerald, or else Peterko and Jumpman would be leaving their DSes (wtf plural) on overnight.

Jumpman16 said:
Yeah you have heaps of fanboys/girls on YT already and it would suit the people who have dodgy Wi-Fi connections like me... up to you of course.

Also, nice to know that the Trainer cycle restarting wasn't a problem inherent to Peterko's copy... unless by some lightning-strike chance you also happened to have an extremely rare glitch on your copy.

Interesting fact: My longest no-Pokemon streak (as in, not playing the game at all) occurred after I lost at battles 63 and then 26 on the same day.

I've been lurking for a long time and finally signed up... :P Anyway, I'll probably have a go at the doubles arcade. I'm surprised no-ones set a score for it. Oh well. Also, what's the ID number for your video with 4 OHKO hits, Peterko? I trust that happened, but I want to see it for myself.

I just ended at 139 in Platinum Tower Singles with this team:

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Levitate
252 Sp. Att / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Timid
31/30/30/31/31/31
-Shadow Ball
-Thunderbolt
-Destiny Bond
-Counter

What a lead! Yes, many prefer starmie, but gengar deals with many things that starmie can't. Counter destroys many things including weavile, slaking, and the problematic cursing umbreon. There isn't really that much to say about him since he isn't exactly innovative. Often I go up 2-1 because of him, although even at worst case scenario of 2-2 I can still pull through. Yes, I can get flinch haxed to death when I try to counter, but even when I am flinched I can just switch to another team member.

Garchomp @ Choice Band
Sand Veil
252 Att / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Jolly
23/31/23/14/31/31
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Aerial Ace
-Stone Edge(the last two slots are mainly filler)

I tried out the CB set for the Frontier and it has worked quite well. I don't like using stat boosting moves on any pokemon that isn't leading because the goal with my lead is to get ahead 2-1, and I don't need stat boosting moves when my opponent has 1, or even 2 pokemon left. Yea, he's lacking a bit of speed against crucial threats like Lati@s or weavile, but since both my other team members can deal with those two, I'm not too worried. Chomp can OHKO so many things it isn't funny. He's easy to switch in and very bulky, too. Even physical walls that aren't steel type are 2HKO'ed by Outrage while they can usually do only very little back.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Sand Stream
252 Att / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Jolly
31/31/31/31/31/31 (hacked, I'm sorry)
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Aqua Tail
-Crunch

Here's the poke that held my team together. Overall, while my team can be thought of as slow since the highest it reaches is functionally base 116 speed, it is very bulky and can deal with the faster threats. Scarf over DD since, like I said above with chomp, I dislike stat boosters not in the lead position because I don't see much value in boosting yourself when you only have to KO 1 or 2 pokemon. Yes, I am using 2 choiced pokemon while most people use 0 and yes, sand stream does mess up the sash, but overall, the pros definitely outweigh the cons. Tyranitar can switch into alot, especially special attacks, and strike back hard. Often I switch back and forth between t-tar and chomp, and sometimes back to gengar to absorb fighting and ground attacks.

Before, I used this same exact team except I had a metagross with a lum berry over T-tar and the highest I could get was 89 wins. By switching one poke I got 50 more, proving the value of tyranitar. One "LOL" moment was when I had t-tar and chomp vs. a medicham and some other poke. I had t-tar out with all 4 pokes at full HP. I didn't want to attack medicham since it wouldn't be able to OHKO and then I would be left with chomp vs. a weakened medicham and some other poke, so I switched to chomp to absorb the obligatory fighting attack. However, the stupid AI instead decided to use ice punch, which would have killed chomp and probably ended my streak. Fortunately, the stupid AI hax was countered by sand veil hax, and so my streak continued.

In the end, I lost to a stupid granbull. I forget how the beginning of the battle went, although I remember that I had t-tar locked into crunch with a full health gengar waiting in the wings and granbull came out as the last poke. I figured that it had some sort of fighting/ground attack and crunch wouldn't do enough to put granbull into thunderbolt's KO range due to intimidate, so I switch to gengar who absorbed the close combat. Then, I made a very stupid mistake - I used destiny bond. I had already taken sandstorm damage so I was at 128 hp (gar had 136 max). The granbull used stone edge, leaving me with 3 hp, of course. So, the sandstorm killed me and next turn stone edge left granbull with very little hp but he killed t-tar with close combat. Doing the damage calc, the stone edge's range was 115-136 damage. I was at 128 hp, so any damage from 128-136 or 115 - 119 would have resulted in my win. (9+5)/22 ~ 64%, so I basically had a 64% of winning.

Battle Tower Singles - 139 w/gengar, chomp, and t-tar
Battle Hall Singles - 186 w/chomp
Battle Tower Multi w/ cpu - 42 w/chomp and metagross
Battle Castle Singles - 50 w/chomp, heracross, and metagross
Battle Arcade Doubles - 78 w/gengar, chomp, and metagross

Descriptions are all on page 70, picture for arcade doubles in sig.

Either way, I firmly believe that you do the best with a team the very first time you use it.
I strongly disagree with that - the saying 'practice makes perfect' is very relevant to the Battle Frontier - especially since you learn from mistakes what flaws your team has, what the AI tends to do, how much damage certain things do, etc. I don't see any logic in doing your best the first time - I used to struggle to get to Palmer at battle 21 back in my noob days, but I think I've slightly improved since then. Thanks to Smogon of course. As for another example of not doing your best the first time - Peterko and Jumpman, the ones with the ridiculous records, have been through more separate Tower streaks than can be accepted by a rational human mind.

Interesting fact (related to above statement): I was testing my no-quick-sweeper team and realised it sucks because it lacks an essential type resistance. However, I have learned from this and now have a completely new team member planned, which will replace one of my most overused pokes of all time.

@CB Shuckle: I also totally disagree with that statement. Theorymoning can might get you somewhat far if it's thorough enough, but in most cases, when I'm actually battling, there are some things I missed, or I should have done something (but didn't) that I didn't think of before, thus making mistakes that could have been prevented etc. ... what DrDimentio said.

Actually, I'm not even sure why you say that. You told us the story of how you lost, and I'm pretty sure that if you were to be in that situation again, there's basically no chance you'd lose (when it's 2 against 1 and both your pokemon can 2HKO the last pokemon, there's really no reason to switch, and then of course using Destiny Bond in that situation was a mistake that you wouldn't repeat). So that means you should be better off even if you are using the same team in the same facility.

Anyway, that brings me to:
I'll try to get to at least 200 streak or so first (or until I lose). As much as I wanted to be original, it's really not too exciting of a team to talk about I think. So yah, I'll just see how far I get first.
... Definitely doing quite a bit of learning right now. I had 3 streaks with my team for battle tower in the past few days, 97, 122, and 99 just now. All 3 losses were me playing it wrong. In fact, all 3 were really stupid, especially the 3rd one since I've faced the exact same situation before and did the right thing, but this time I just totally screwed up. Anyway, I don't want this to be on the records since 122 is far from impressive. So I won't write up the team description yet. I know it can do much further, so yah, I'll just post the team when I get a streak I'm satisfied with.

I timed myself again for the 1-49 streak: 87 minutes using this team:
Starmie / Natural Cure / Timid @ Expert Belt: Surf / Ice Beam / Psychic / Thunderbolt
Heatran / Flash Fire / Timid @ Life Orb: Flamethrower / Dragon Pulse / Earth Power / Explosion
Flygon / Levitate / Adamant @ Choice Scarf: U-Turn / Outrage / Earthquake / Fire Punch

Comments:
- Heatran only used Dragon Pulse once in the 49 battles, and that was against a Dragonair (which conveniently had Haban) somewhere between streak 8 - 20 ... so not sure I really need that move. Then again, not sure what I'd replace it with either.
- Flygon never even used Fire Punch once. Heatran took care of nearly all grass/bug/ice types. I suppose if Heatran dies and an Abomasnow comes out, Fire punch could be useful. That just never happened before.
- Yeah, I know Garchomp > Flygon, but I don't like chomp, don't have a chomp, and won't be bothered to breed for one. Plus, the Ground immunity to cover for Heatran is nice. Plenty of free switches.
- Facing Palmer #2, it's best if either Palmer leads with Heatran or Regigigas. I never faced him with Heatran leading though. For Regi, I just injure as much as I can with Starmie. Heatran Flamethrowers for the KO. Opposing Heatran comes out. I switch to Flygon on Earth Power. U-Turn (to break Palmer's Heatran's sash) and my Heatran takes little damage from Flash Cannon. My Heatran Earth Power for the KO. Then Flamethrower + Explosion to KO Cresselia (never did the calc to see if Explosion itself KOs, but I doubt it).
- My previous one (98 minutes) was pretty much the same team with Sash Gengar leading instead of the Expert Belt Starmie. I wasn't really even trying to be extremely fast (like I even went to washroom during that one), so that's probably why it was 11 mins longer. Starmie covers better too imo, guaranteeing the OHKO on all non-Kingdra (and non-Yache/Sash obviously) Dragons, whereas Gengar's unboosted HP Ice doesn't.

smart man, though i wouldn't expect anything less from an aussie (for reasons stated somewhere in my Well thread). i too have kinda laughed at the fact that my two most important pokemon are two mid-level UU pokemon and that my fallback would be #1 in OU if it weren't banned to ubers. as an aside, i still compare it to the current #1 scizor as far as fast setup is concerned, and i may have to give the edge to garchomp, i'm not sure. i've lost garchomp once maybe twice to QCes, which is pretty lame, but at once that has more to do with my backup pokemon than anything. chomp getting QCed sucks because those pokes have EQ, the only thing drapion is weak to, but mesprit can fuck with them. by the same token, even if scizor could get QCed by those eq pokes, latios wouldnt care all that much because they wouldn't be hitting him with "stab eq" cause of levitate. the pokemon scizor loses a sub to by virtue of its rather poor type coverage and lack of speed, pokemon like entei and raikou and moltres and slowbro, are pokemon that latios can clean up very, very easily by himself...but are not pokemon that unboosted drapion wants much to do with.

so it kind of has more to do with team than anything else, but i love how murderous garchomp is after just one SD and without a sub. it would be different if they had similar base stats, like if scizor was a "fair" 100/130/115/75/95/85 to compare to garchomp's ever-ridiculous 108/130/95/80/85/102 (both are 600 BST). not to get too off track but both have respectable and not "lol heracross-like" SpA stats, and i would argue that garchomp's stat spread could almost not possibly be improved without lowering its SpA...maybe a 103/130/90/80/85/110 spread lol. this kind of shows you just how much of a bitch scizor is when it only has 70/130/100/55/80/65 stats...Garchomp has a clean 100 points on Scizor, and would have a spread of like 68/130/70/65/65/102 at BEST if we want to keep its two main statistical selling points intact (102 definitely and 130 just to keep that constant between the two). you can see how shitty this is defensively...it may not *matter* because chomp still has stab outrage/earthquake just like despite scizor's mediocre base stats it still has technician and stab priority and a 120bp/100acc move to cover its stab, but you see my point. (chomp could probably get away with like 110 base attack instead on a 500 BST spread for 68/110/80/65/75/102 but whatever.)

yes, that's it. i'm not worried about the game turning off and on though, and i think the video is even better proof despite the blurriness

oh yeah, i did...i had some stuff i wanted to paste here but after editing the video and having the spectre of a 4-hour drive later in the day looming, i just wanted to go to bed (and that's why i haven't posted again yet i was away on business). i actually took quite a few battle videos for your viewing pleasure and id been noting them for a few months patiently in preparation for this:

CLS
263, lol politoed, broken win thanks to perish song: 32-02800-04969
272, metagross, fuck you etc: 14-97385-54942
351, "fuck regice". zapdos that could kill 75% scizor and "signal ball" but then latios. one of my toughest CLS battles to date: 81-97442-54714
Team Drapula II
484: lead skarmory, really showcases the strength of drapion here early: 15-61213-11288
862: example of dealing with a low-pp move and charming preemptively: 37-83435-33128
1067: fuck off regice (again) and retard ohko dewgong, drapion is a boss: 38-43201-62105
1198: lol cool let's qc ch with wood hammer and take me to 1 HP idiot...could safely Acu on last struggle because there was no longer a threat of "QC OHKO". could have been real lame if i had died 30-44234-01547
1580: fling hariyama, a little improvising kinda: 48-51073-77353
1616 chomp can dish it out, but...
1790: strength of flash, one opened up door for three, needed it against sb slowking (kinda): 95-10978-37915
1793: guess i lapped...lol. as though to remind me that there is still nothing to be taken for granted in pokemon, the game brings out a ground-immune poke: 67-49391-38891
2071: lead scarf (mold breaker) rampardos, only poke besides pinsir that drapion fears: 98-68466-52019

yes, aussies are smart :)

and like someone mentioned, i would also love it if you made some kind of video of them all! (one of your new subscribers :P)

Also, thank goodness the elevator doesn't behave like the one in Emerald, or else Peterko and Jumpman would be leaving their DSes (wtf plural) on overnight.
actually im pretty sure once you get beyond about 100 it doesnt get any longer, so it wouldnt have been too bad ;)

I've been lurking for a long time and finally signed up... :P Anyway, I'll probably have a go at the doubles arcade. I'm surprised no-ones set a score for it. Oh well. Also, what's the ID number for your video with 4 OHKO hits, Peterko? I trust that happened, but I want to see it for myself.
there's quite a few records up for grabs actually - you might ignite some interest by trying something fun that noones bothered with :)

yes, aussies are smart :)
I agree with that in a totally non-biased way. *covers up Location*

and like someone mentioned, i would also love it if you made some kind of video of them all! (one of your new subscribers :P)
Same here... but I wonder if Jumpman would rather not do so for the sake of hiding his secret techniques involved in overcoming almost any nasty situation the Tower can throw at him... depends on how much he cares about being beaten, or whether he actually thinks that's possible for any non-Peterko-type-person to do (probably not).

Hm, yah, I guess that's a possibility. I've always been pretty paranoid about using inaccurate moves in Battle Frontier though. I have a feeling that I'm just going to rather use Flamethrower twice in case Blast misses lol. It's just for fun anyway, so yah, I don't think I'll be changing it. Thanks for suggesting though.

On a related note, Bozo, I was just thinking, instead of CB Salamence, if you used CB Chomp it might cut down your 84 minutes a bit since Intimidate takes up time?

Hm, yah, I guess that's a possibility. I've always been pretty paranoid about using inaccurate moves in Battle Frontier though. I have a feeling that I'm just going to rather use Flamethrower twice in case Blast misses lol. It's just for fun anyway, so yah, I don't think I'll be changing it. Thanks for suggesting though.

On a related note, Bozo, I was just thinking, instead of CB Salamence, if you used CB Chomp it might cut down your 84 minutes a bit since Intimidate takes up time?
Yeah, I also never use moves like Fire Blast normally, but if you wanted to be like a hardcore speedrunner (probably not) you'd have to just hope it never misses. Also depends on whether you have a huge, hacked stash of TMs or not - I did on my old Pearl since my friend knew how to use Action Replay, but since then it broke and I restarted Pearl to get my new RNGed Trick lead.

eh, my statement wasn't really meant to be scientific, it was more from my own experience with my teams. Every time I use a team for the first time I seem to get a lot of luck. The next few times I use it I get a lot more hax coming my way.

excellent point, and id definitely thought about this, and certainly always used salamence as a last resort due to the time wasting factor of intimidate. but i didnt have a garchomp with me at the time and, like you, it was more just a bit of fun than anything else :)

also, the record there says blissey was my third pokemon, but it should have been weavile (the post it links to states this correctly) - just something for peterko to fix up ;)

Yeah, I also never use moves like Fire Blast normally, but if you wanted to be like a hardcore speedrunner (probably not) you'd have to just hope it never misses. Also depends on whether you have a huge, hacked stash of TMs or not - I did on my old Pearl since my friend knew how to use Action Replay, but since then it broke and I restarted Pearl to get my new RNGed Trick lead.
yeah, i think in some things like this you're better off using fire blast. i mean the worst thing that could happen is in the 48th battle it misses and you have to start again - i guess youve wasted 90 mins, but its not like a 500+ streak has ended (definitely use flamethrower if you're going for a big streak).

also, i think you can buy fire blast TM's for a respectable amount at the dept store in that city with the game corner (and flamethrower is prob a prize there too - a few E4 runs and you'll be able to buy enough coins) so you can definitely make do without hacking!

eh, my statement wasn't really meant to be scientific, it was more from my own experience with my teams. Every time I use a team for the first time I seem to get a lot of luck. The next few times I use it I get a lot more hax coming my way.
actually, without meaning this "scietifically" either, i often find that if i am using a well-thought-out team, i am more likely to put in a more concentrated effort on my first (decent) streak. if you lose at 300 say, its pretty difficult to get back to 300 with the same degree of care, and this can sometimes lead to an early loss, while youre trying to race through it.....

actually, without meaning this "scietifically" either, i often find that if i am using a well-thought-out team, i am more likely to put in a more concentrated effort on my first (decent) streak. if you lose at 300 say, its pretty difficult to get back to 300 with the same degree of care, and this can sometimes lead to an early loss, while youre trying to race through it.....
Yea, that's pretty much what I meant. Of course practice makes perfect, but it's slightly demoralizing the 2nd or 3rd time you use a team, thinking of how long it will take to just get back up to your previous record and then beat it.

just wanted to let you all know i finally broke 500 with my battle tower team :)

DAWN - latias
timid - choice scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 182 Def / 76 Spe
Stats: 187 HP / x Atk / 133 Def / x Sp Atk / 150 Sp Def / 154 Spe
Moves: Trick, Charm, Thunderwave, Recover

CLAW - registeel
careful - leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Atk / 146 Def / 12 Sp Def
Stats: 186 HP / 108 Atk / 188 Def / x Sp Atk / 189 Sp Def / 68 Spe
Moves: Substitute, Curse, Amnesia, Iron Head

CHARLIE - salamence
adamant - lum berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 Sp Def
Stats: 170 HP / 205 Atk / 100 Def / x Sp Atk / 101 Sp Def / 152 Spe
Moves: Substitute, Dragon Dance, Outrage, Earthquake​

nothing special, right? didnt exactly improve my standing in the list, eh? well, maybe i did:

yup, bozo moves into top spot on the d/p battle tower list ^^. i was a bit bored after my platinum streak ended, so thought i'd just have a whirl at diamond, seeing as i wasnt even on the board (previous best of 101 there i think, at least on the game i did this streak on). just for kicks i decided i'd play it without looking at any lists - it made it a lot more fun, especially since i had no prior knowledge of the d/p sets (choice scarf horn drill rhyperior wtf?!). all damage calculations were done in my head too. i wanted to play this streak like a man.

so yeah, ive been keeping this streak secret, since usually when i post about how i'm going i lose pretty soon after. if i lose after this i don't really mind because, at least for a short time, i'm on top of the list, and i may just keep it at 504* anyway...... d/p is painfully slow.

youtube video to come maybe. (it's a bit boring with way more registeel "sweeps" than salamence). EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG3AQ_Eva1I

EDIT: final picture:

how it ended:

1. i was watching tv so i dont even remember the first pokemon. but it was some legend which registeel set up on easily.
  2. next pokemon is heatran. at full health these guys are pretty easy to handle. i select substitute just in case i had taken enough damage from the previous foe, and it uses fire fang and doesnt break the sub. this is good because fire fang heatran is so easy to beat usually.
  3. next turn FF breaks my sub and i sub again.
  4. FF, iron head. i can see it will be a 5HKO as usual.
  5. i select IH again, but this time FF crits and breaks the sub (usually takes about 3 hits to break otherwise). IH gets it to just over half hp.
  6. FF burns, and i sub. FF did 20hp here, so i know i would have survived a non-crit FF the turn before.
  7. i figure now i need to KO this in 3 hits and then scramble for the last pokemon, which could be any legend. so, FF then IH which does hardly anything thanks to the burn which i had sorta forgotten about. i figure i am going to die of the burn before KO'ing heatran, so i switch back to latias, hoping i can maybe lower its attack and set salamence up with at least one DD.
  8. latias comes back in. FF, burns. this burn is hardly important, but the AI just thought it should throw it in i guess.
  9. charm, explosion. it doesnt quite KO me, but burn takes me down to 5hp. what will the last pokemon be......
  10. out comes regice. ok, this might not be as bad as it sounds. i thunderwave, seeing as not much else will be any good. (i could have recovered, but it would be risky at best, since i'd have to hope it didnt use ice beam.) it kills me with thunderbolt.
  11. i thought about looking up the sets to see what it might have had, but decided to stick to my guns of not consulting the lists.
  12. in the end i decided i'd have to try and weaken it with burned iron head for a couple of turns and then see if i could finish it with outrage. and you never know, it might be FP for one turn which would basically give me a victory.
  13. IH, thunderbolt. IH does about 30% or so. leftovers restores its health.
  14. protect! IH does nothing. now i have really only one more IH unless it is FP.
  15. IH, thunderbolt crit! noncrit would not have killed me, but i would prob have died to burn, so whatever. again, the AI just wanted me to know it was in charge of this battle!
  16. out comes salamence. im pretty sure outrage cannot do 75% to regice, which is roughly what its at after lefties. so i choose sub, hoping for a FP, but....
  17. sub, ice beam.
  18. sub, ice beam.
  19. sub, ice beam.
  20. sub, ice beam.
  21. i am now naked at 2hp, while regice is pretty much at full hp. it could still be FP, or i could get a crit.
  22. outrage (about 65% damage, meaning i could not have KO'd it previously). ice beam. the end!
and now for a jumpman-style analysis of the hax. these things needed to happen for me to lose this match:

1. crit FF to break my sub. 1/16
  2. FF burn the very next turn before i subbed. 1/10
  3. regice moving 9 times in a row while it was paralyzed. (3/4)^9
  4. regice not flinching in the two turns IH hit. (4/5)^2
  5. grand total = 1/3329 - for comparison, 6 OHKO moves hitting you in a row has odds of 1/1371.
note that i didnt even count things like "odds that the last poke is regice" or the random burn on latias and CH on registeel. (maybe i should also have counted "three non-CH's on regice which would take the odds to 1/4040.) well, i feel sad that the streak had to end, but at least it ended in the way most good streaks end, with stupid hax.

Nice one Bozo.

In other news, I'm restarting my Platinum, because having legendaries with shit natures is ruining my mood. (Yes, I will be making a new BT team, but no time soon.) Maybe in hindsight I should've transferred the Arceus and my shinies to another game...
>.>

i know its not as much of an achievement as some of the other bigger platinum streaks, but there are a few people who still care about d/p. i expect kingbattlus to maybe break 500 also. and if peterko/jumpman wanted to they could too - i dont think the teams they were using are anywhere near as robust as their platinum ones.

and how's this for a close match (somewhere around 520).

1. latias vs medicham. latias used trick. missed. medicham used attract. latias falls in love.
  2. immobilized by love. ice punch - down to about 90hp. frozen.
  3. switch in registeel. ice punch. almost no damage.
  4. switch in latias (fire punch please?). drain punch - down to about 50hp.
  5. hmmm...... if latias is going to do anything it will have to unfreeze on its next available turn, so.... latias is frozen solid. ice punch KO's. switch in salamence for intimidate.
  6. switch to registeel. ice punch - lol damage, frozen.
  7. switch to salamence. focus punch - down to about 100hp. ok, registeel is frozen, so cant set up, and risks focus punch anyway while it does non-damaging moves (if it ever thaws out). so its pretty much up to salamence, and i havent even seen the other two pokes.
  8. salamence used outrage. OHKO on medicham (no bright powder hax this time).
  9. in comes shuckle. this could be good or bad. outrage - down to about 60%. power trick.
  10. outrage KO's. when i saw it go past the 40% damage i was expecting i thought i must have got a crit, but then i remembered power trick kills shuckle's defense. salamence becomes confused.
  11. in comes lucario! EQ for the OHKO.
so, it goes down as 2-0, but thats definitely tied for the most lucky (and unlucky) battle frontier battle ive ever played. a few things could have ruined me, most notably that they could have chosen any two other backup pokes to completely screw me.

the "funny" thing is, 90% of the time, it would have gone like this:

1. latias used trick. latias gets bright powder, medicham gets choice scarf. medicham used attract.
  2. switch in salamence. attract, failed (i chose salamence to be male for this exact reason - different gender to latias).
  3. dragon dance x6, sub.
  4. three OHKO's with EQ.
ah, bright powder.......

i know its not as much of an achievement as some of the other bigger platinum streaks, but there are a few people who still care about d/p. i expect kingbattlus to maybe break 500 also. and if peterko/jumpman wanted to they could too - i dont think the teams they were using are anywhere near as robust as their platinum ones.

and how's this for a close match (somewhere around 520).

1. latias vs medicham. latias used trick. missed. medicham used attract. latias falls in love.
  2. immobilized by love. ice punch - down to about 90hp. frozen.
  3. switch in registeel. ice punch. almost no damage.
  4. switch in latias (fire punch please?). drain punch - down to about 50hp.
  5. hmmm...... if latias is going to do anything it will have to unfreeze on its next available turn, so.... latias is frozen solid. ice punch KO's. switch in salamence for intimidate.
  6. switch to registeel. ice punch - lol damage, frozen.
  7. switch to salamence. focus punch - down to about 100hp. ok, registeel is frozen, so cant set up, and risks focus punch anyway while it does non-damaging moves (if it ever thaws out). so its pretty much up to salamence, and i havent even seen the other two pokes.
  8. salamence used outrage. OHKO on medicham (no bright powder hax this time).
  9. in comes shuckle. this could be good or bad. outrage - down to about 60%. power trick.
  10. outrage KO's. when i saw it go past the 40% damage i was expecting i thought i must have got a crit, but then i remembered power trick kills shuckle's defense. salamence becomes confused.
  11. in comes lucario! EQ for the OHKO.
so, it goes down as 2-0, but thats definitely tied for the most lucky (and unlucky) battle frontier battle ive ever played. a few things could have ruined me, most notably that they could have chosen any two other backup pokes to completely screw me.

the "funny" thing is, 90% of the time, it would have gone like this:

1. latias used trick. latias gets bright powder, medicham gets choice scarf. medicham used attract.
  2. switch in salamence. attract, failed (i chose salamence to be male for this exact reason - different gender to latias).
  3. dragon dance x6, sub.
  4. three OHKO's with EQ.
ah, bright powder.......
Wow, nice freezehax.

just got a 169 in the battle hall
lost to kingdra because it used yawn
=/
big wth
am i able to get on the list and if soo what info do you need

I'm not sure if anyone theorymons for the battle hall anymore, but I've come up with an interesting idea(sorry if it's been taken before). Basically, you abuse Infernapes huge movepool and use of Fake Out to get past focus sashes and then use a combo of Close Combat+2 moves that are super effective in the area you're going to

for instance, if you're going to the water section(DO THIS FIRST!!!) then take Grass Knot and Thunder Punch. if the psycic section, bring U-turn. now, obviously this is a lot of work, but it doesn't have the threat of ALWAYS losing to the same thing, i.e. Garchomp will always lose to Weavile.

I may've missed a threat, but I'm pretty sure it'll work. I'm going to begin testing it after I finnish some school stuff.

EDIT: of course, this would be an extremely hard strategy if you didn't clone/hack TMs, so for those of you who don't want to do that, you want to try another route

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Off the top of my head, Crobat is probably the biggest problem to Infernape. Crobat can't be flinched, is faster, can OHKO with Brave Bird if you don't have a Sash and holds BrightPowder. I think Overheat will let you win but it has 19% chance of missing which is death.

Hippowdon is another problem. It survives Fake Out + Grass Knot unless you pretty much max out your SpAtk and OHKO's with Earthquake. Sandstream means your Sash is worthless.

Crobat, Salamence, Gyarados, Scyther. All of them are Flying type so they need to be dealt with by one moveset. Fake Out, Counter, Flamethrower with Focus Sash, will let you beat all four. However, there's other Flying types to deal with and you need to be able to beat several other types with this one moveset.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)