B&W Research Thread

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
While I'm not expecting anyone to legitimately do this since Urgamoth learns Fire Dance at level 100, I was wondering if anyone could confirm the chance that Fire Dance has of raising Special Attack, or if it's even a chance at all and is, in fact, a certainty.

Multiscale: (Slipperjeans)

Reduces damage by half if the pokemon was at full health before the hit. A lv 100 dragonite at 99% (having lost only one HP) will still take full damage. Same, don't have the numbers, so you'll probably want to test it again, but it was a clean cut by 2.
As a minor addendum, I believe fractions are rounded down, as it's possible to take 0 damage (presumably only if the attack would cause 1 damage originally going off this data).

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've looked over the flags, and here's my educated guess about what they do, in order from least significant (far right) flag to most significant (far left) flag:

1. This move makes physical contact with the target.
2. This is a two-turn attack that hits on the second turn (like Fly).
3. This is a two-turn attack that hits of the first turn (like Hyper Beam).
4. This move is blocked by Protect and Detect.
5. This move is reflected by Magic Coat.
6. This move can be stolen by Snatch.
7. This move is replicable by Mirror Move.
8. This move is boosted by Iron Fist.
9. This is a sound-based move (blocked by Soundproof).
10. This move cannot be used during Gravity.
11. This move is usable by a frozen Pokémon. (This may always thaw the user, I have no idea. Boiling Water and Cross Fire have it along with Flare Blitz, Flame Wheel, and Sacred Fire)
12. This one has me stumped. Most (if not all) Flying-type attacks have it, along with 'pulse' attacks, like Water Pulse, Healing Pulse, Aura Sphere, etc. Maybe these are boosted by an effect now? *Keeps fingers crossed for Tailwind*
13. This move cannot be used if the user has the Heal Block effect.
14. This is the list that coyotte posted. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that these moves all go through Substitute now. Could somebody test this?
15 and 16. Glancing through the list quickly, these seem to be unused. It's possible I missed a move, though.

I've looked over the flags, and here's my educated guess about what they do, in order from least significant (far right) flag to most significant (far left) flag:

1. This move makes physical contact with the target.
2. This is a two-turn attack that hits on the second turn (like Fly).
3. This is a two-turn attack that hits of the first turn (like Hyper Beam).
4. This move is blocked by Protect and Detect.
5. This move is reflected by Magic Coat.
6. This move can be stolen by Snatch.
7. This move is replicable by Mirror Move.
8. This move is boosted by Iron Fist.
9. This is a sound-based move (blocked by Soundproof).
10. This move cannot be used during Gravity.
11. This move is usable by a frozen Pokémon. (This may always thaw the user, I have no idea. Boiling Water and Cross Fire have it along with Flare Blitz, Flame Wheel, and Sacred Fire)
12. This one has me stumped. Most (if not all) Flying-type attacks have it, along with 'pulse' attacks, like Water Pulse, Healing Pulse, Aura Sphere, etc. Maybe these are boosted by an effect now? *Keeps fingers crossed for Tailwind*
13. This move cannot be used if the user has the Heal Block effect.
14. This is the list that coyotte posted. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that these moves all go through Substitute now. Could somebody test this?
15 and 16. Glancing through the list quickly, these seem to be unused. It's possible I missed a move, though.
There are also descriptions here: http://typewith.me/pokemon-black-and-white
But yours seem to be more accurate.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It does boost Flare Blitz, but the recoil is still there. (It only boosts Flare Blitz because of the secondary burn effect, and probably removes it). Tested using two pokemons with the same attack stat, one with Encourage, the other without.
My in-game experience with Flare Blitz doesn't concur. My Hihidaruma used Flare Blitz against Geechisu's Desukan, which survived around 75%. Since it was a contact hit, Hihidaruma's ability changed to Mummy. It used Flare Blitz again, and still did around 75%.

I restarted the battle, and tried again with Fire Punch. Fire Punch (with effective power 112.5, pretty close to FB's 120) did slightly less than 75%, and when Hihidaruma's ability changed to Mummy, Fire Punch did significantly less.

I'm not sure Flare Blitz has a secondary burn effect now, if it ever did.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
Well, the only differences between the two is that I specifically mention Heal Block and that I'm making a guess about one of the flags hitting though Substitute. It's just a guess though, and if it's right, what is Conversion 2 doing on that list? I also remember reading that Acupressure works through Substitute now, and it isn't on the list. Neither is Helping Hand, though, so maybe moves that can only hit your allies don't need the flag...?

I hope my game gets here soon so that I can test some of this stuff.

EDIT: Conversion 2 must have changed, because you now choose a target when using it, according to veekun's data dump. So this flag could be the Hits-through-Substitute flag after all.

Ok I think I might understand this. The code has a specific flag for the ability Miscievous Heart, which is for miscellaneous moves that are effected by the effect. There is also a variable called y that figures out what status, if any, a move should have. Miscievous Heart finds out if the move has one of these effects that should have the effect of the ability applied as well as seeing if it has the Miscievous Heart Flag.

This would be why things like Cotton Spore clearly are effected by Miscievous Heart but aren't flagged.

I think Mischievous Heart checks the base power of the move- if it's zero, it's affected.

It's just an educated guess, though, but makes sense to me.

I think Mischievous Heart checks the base power of the move- if it's zero, it's affected.

It's just an educated guess, though, but makes sense to me.
But we know (or atleast think we know) that Miscievous Heart doesn't give priority to Trick Room. If Miscievous Heart doesn't effect Confuse Ray, Sleep Powder, or Perish Song (which all fall into the same effect category as Trick Room), then I'm probably right.

Also, something interesting I noticed. Healing Attacking moves like Giga Drain are put into the same category as recoil moves. What I think someone should test is does Rock Head prevent Giga Drain from healing the Pokemon using it?

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
Anybody have a Porygon to test with? Conversion2's effect must have changed, because you now choose a target when using it.

My in-game experience with Flare Blitz doesn't concur. My Hihidaruma used Flare Blitz against Geechisu's Desukan, which survived around 75%. Since it was a contact hit, Hihidaruma's ability changed to Mummy. It used Flare Blitz again, and still did around 75%.

I restarted the battle, and tried again with Fire Punch. Fire Punch (with effective power 112.5, pretty close to FB's 120) did slightly less than 75%, and when Hihidaruma's ability changed to Mummy, Fire Punch did significantly less.

I'm not sure Flare Blitz has a secondary burn effect now, if it ever did.
It's interesting that Flare Blitz isn't boosted. The data dump says it still has a 10% chance to cause a burn. Perhaps only certain moves with added effects are boosted?

But we know (or atleast think we know) that Miscievous Heart doesn't give priority to Trick Room. If Miscievous Heart doesn't effect Confuse Ray, Sleep Powder, or Perish Song (which all fall into the same effect category as Trick Room), then I'm probably right.
Hm. I'd say it doesn't work with moves that aren't in the zero priority tier, then, but your assumption does makes sense.

Hm. I'd say it doesn't work with moves that aren't in the zero priority tier, then, but your assumption does makes sense.
That's true or it could even boost the move's priority by 1 and we don't notice anything because Trick Room would still have -5 priority.

Also, about that one flag that has most Flying moves and Aura Sphere in it. All of the moves that are flagged by it have the word はどう (hadou) in their Japanese names. Does anyone know what this means in English?

Edit: Google is telling me it translates to 'how about'.

'Hadou' means Wave, Aura, Pulse.

I think it's related to a new secondary effect of a field move/weather condition. But I probably should stop guessing and start testing.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It's interesting that Flare Blitz isn't boosted. The data dump says it still has a 10% chance to cause a burn. Perhaps only certain moves with added effects are boosted?
You sure? For all we know the data dump just shows that Flare Blitz has a unique effect number, which could happen if its side effect were just recoil+thaw target.

Trickery (attack)-

1)
What is the exact effect? Serebii list it as getting stronger the higher the opponent's Attack is. I've also heard that it uses the opponent's attack instead of yours. Basically just want some clarification.

2) If it does get stronger the higher your opponent's attack is, how do the increases work? Basically, how much does it get stronger for a given amount of attack power?

As a Dark Pokemon lover, I NEED this information!

Trickery (attack)-

1)
What is the exact effect? Serebii list it as getting stronger the higher the opponent's Attack is. I've also heard that it uses the opponent's attack instead of yours. Basically just want some clarification.

2) If it does get stronger the higher your opponent's attack is, how do the increases work? Basically, how much does it get stronger for a given amount of attack power?

As a Dark Pokemon lover, I NEED this information!
By using it ingame with Warubiaru, I'm pretty sure it's a 95 BP, 100% Accurate, Dark-typed physical move that calculates its damage using the target's Attack stat instead of the user's.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
Telepathy: (Slipperjeans?)

Prevents a damaging attack to hit an ally, like Motor Drive would block an electric attack, though Telepathy's message is displayed. This work for any damaging attack, even single target attacks like Psychic. Non damaging attacks still hit.
I could use some clarification here. Does Telepathy protect all Pokemon on the same side of the field, or just the Telepathy Pokemon? Does it protect against opponents' attacks, or just an ally's collateral damage?

Hello, I have great news about Dream World abilities.

Daruma Mode is an ability that inside the information of the game can be considered as a Dream World ability. Sites like Serebii.net and Veekun agrees with me. But it can be get in a special way thru the game. I won't spoiler here, so i'll go direct to the point. I 've got a male and female hihidaruma with that ability, and I've tried 2 things:

Female hihhidaruma (with daruma Mode) with ditto. every darumaka born with hustle.

Male and female hihidaruma with daruma mode. every darumaka born with inner focus (his dream world ability).

Dream world ability is breedable!

but it needs more research...

By using it ingame with Warubiaru, I'm pretty sure it's a 95 BP, 100% Accurate, Dark-typed physical move that calculates its damage using the target's Attack stat instead of the user's.
Aww, that sucks. I was hoping for a nice new powerful Dark move. Still have to make do with Crunch as our most powerful move aside from this less than reliable move. In fact, I think Dark has the lowest highest attack power move of all types...

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
You sure? For all we know the data dump just shows that Flare Blitz has a unique effect number, which could happen if its side effect were just recoil+thaw target.
It's not the main move effect number that I'm looking at. The 'caused_effect' column has a '4', the same as other burning moves, and the 'effect_chance' column has a '10'. Maybe those columns are leftover data that isn't actually used, though.

Daruma Mode is an ability that inside the information of the game can be considered as a Dream World ability. Sites like Serebii.net and Veekun agrees with me. But it can be get in a special way thru the game. I won't spoiler here, so i'll go direct to the point. I 've got a male and female hihidaruma with that ability, and I've tried 2 things:

Female hihhidaruma (with daruma Mode) with ditto. every darumaka born with hustle.

Male and female hihidaruma with daruma mode. every darumaka born with inner focus (his dream world ability).

Man, it's nice that they're breedable, but if the father has to have the ability, wouldn't that mean that Dream World abilities are incompatible with egg moves unless the father obtained in the Dream World had the egg moves already?

Could you test a male Hihidaruma and a Ditto?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro

I'll do some testing later tonight, catching the Daruma Mode Hihidaruma to see their PIDs (which is what was traditionally used for determining ability).

Question remains: can you breed two completely different species Pokemon with Dream World abilities and get a Dream World-ability Pokemon? This may be the only way to get egg moves onto Dream World Pokemon. Huy, got any of those to test with?

It seems like Conversion2 was changed. It says the same message before Porygon2 gets hit by an attack and after it gets hit by a non-normal type attack.

If someone can translate these into English, it should clarify the change done to the move.

The important thing you should try is breeding the Female Hihi with a non-dream Male from her Egg Group, and then a Male Hihi with another Pokémon we know has a Dream World ability. Since Ditto may act as Female, reguardless of the gender of its partner, this may prove that Females pass on the "Dream World" Gene when breeding.

It seems like Conversion2 was changed. It says the same message before Porygon2 gets hit by an attack and after it gets hit by a non-normal type attack.

If someone can translate these into English, it should clarify the change done to the move.
First Pic:
Porygon2 has become Rock-type!

Second Pic:
Something like "User becomes a type that's resistant to the type of the last move used by the target".

Porgyon2 became Rock type!

and then the description says: "Can change into a type that resists the last attack used by the opponent."

..as far as i can tell thats the same as it was before..

Edit: beaten to the punch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)