B&W Research Thread

I'll tell you right now: Rotom\Giratina formes: Usable on WiFi now?
Giratina is banned on Random Wi-fi but Rotom formes aren't so yes, this is true. I know because I just face a girl with a shiny rotom-w I'm not sure if it's the same on Union Room/Wi-Fi Club though.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just tried to Sleep Powder a Mebukijika. Herbivore activated and Sleep Powder had no effect. The same thing probably happens to Spore and Stun Spore, probably even Cotton Spore and Worry Seed.

Possibly not Grasswhistle, though.

I'll tell you right now: Rotom\Giratina formes: Usable on WiFi now?
Giratina is banned on Random Wi-fi but Rotom formes aren't so yes, this is true. I know because I just face a girl with a shiny rotom-w I'm not sure if it's the same on Union Room/Wi-Fi Club though.
Hmm, I'd like more testing on this to be done, to make sure. For all we know, this girl could have just used some sort of AR code to force Rotom-W to be allowed online, similar to the ones from 4th gen. So, if someone could try using Rotom-W themselves and see what happens, that would be great.

Can Griseous Orb be Tricked onto any other Pokemon besides Giratina?
Tested this with a rankurusu holding Griseous orb using Trick on my snorlax and it worked.
It also worked on my opponents choroneko.

So Trick fails on Giratina with the Orb, but anything else is fair game?

Does Griseous Orb, now that it can be held by anything, offer anything to any other Pokémon in the game, such as boosting everything's Ghost and Dragon moves, or only Giratina?

I just tested a multi-hit move against a Rugged Helmet user, and it does in fact activate between hits. Not sure if this was implied in OmegaDonut's blurb on Rugged Helmet, but I wanted to test it just to be sure. I presume (but haven't tested) that the same thing applies to the abilities Rough Skin & Iron Barbs.

This is shaping up to be a really awesome item, if you switch-in on a Cloyster using Icicle Spear you can rack up 83% damage against it!

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
So Trick fails on Giratina with the Orb, but anything else is fair game?

Does Griseous Orb, now that it can be held by anything, offer anything to any other Pokémon in the game, such as boosting everything's Ghost and Dragon moves, or only Giratina?
Only giratina

I just tested a multi-hit move against a Rugged Helmet user, and it does in fact activate between hits. Not sure if this was implied in OmegaDonut's blurb on Rugged Helmet, but I wanted to test it just to be sure. I presume (but haven't tested) that the same thing applies to the abilities Rough Skin & Iron Barbs.

This is shaping up to be a really awesome item, if you switch-in on a Cloyster using Icicle Spear you can rack up 83% damage against it!
Icicle Spear isn't a contact move.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
This is Random WiFi battle, not Pal Pad. Entirely random opponent, not based of of the Pal Pad. They presumably follow different rules. Random WiFi only allows legal gen 5 movesets, whereas Pal Pad has no restrictions. Random WiFi didn't allow legitimate Dream World Ability Pokemon either.

Scizor was from my own RNG, and was legitimately PokeShifted, 100% legitimate. Random WiFi battle straight up rejected it when it had Superpower. When Brick Break was taught over it, it let it on.

It wasn't able to detect blatantly edited IV/Nature Pokemon either. Legitimately caught, and IVs/nature edited. It let it on. (used a Hatooboo)

(WPMC=Wild Pokemon Modifier Code, as I just abbreviated it from when I used it above).

Maybe
this is the whole "Fresh" set of rules that was rumoured to exist. Since this rumour wasn't found within the options, maybe this is it.

I turned off all cheats I had (which were simply pokemon AR codes from kazo's early SAV program) and can confirm that rotom forms work on friend code wifi battles. I have not tested giratina.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'll take it you meant Magic Coat. Does that mean that if the opponent used Foresight twice, Magic Coat would bounce back the first one but wouldn't bounce back the second?
I believe that in 4th gen, Magic Coat could only reflect one move per use, so I don't think this is a change. I'm 100% sure Snatch could only steal one move, but I'll retest Magic Coat later today.

What I'm wondering is if Magic Coat now reflects moves targeted at the Magic Coat user's allies, or just at the Magic Coat user as before.

Nah, just more we're testing things with singles right now.

I have a bunch of things I've tested, but I'm ironing them out. Lack of in-game rotation battles is pretty annoying.

Has anybody checked to see if there are legality/hack checks in place for different battle modes (random wi-fi, friend codes, local, etc.)? I see that random wi-fi enforces some kind of move check, but what about blatantly illegal stuff like 510+ EV spreads or more subtle things like illegal Pokeball/move combinations?

I wouldn't expect local versus to have any kind of move check (seeing as how new games always add new tutors and so forth), but a built-in EV check would be a godsend for local tournaments.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I believe that in 4th gen, Magic Coat could only reflect one move per use, so I don't think this is a change. I'm 100% sure Snatch could only steal one move, but I'll retest Magic Coat later today.

What I'm wondering is if Magic Coat now reflects moves targeted at the Magic Coat user's allies, or just at the Magic Coat user as before.
I know Magic Coat can only reflect one move per round, but what I thought was that jumpluff used Foresight one round, got bounced back, and then used Foresight again the next round, only for it to succeed.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I know Magic Coat can only reflect one move per round, but what I thought was that jumpluff used Foresight one round, got bounced back, and then used Foresight again the next round, only for it to succeed.
Ah, my apologies! (My brain tends to automatically assume double battles.) That's very interesting if confirmed. I wonder why that would happen?

EDIT: Perhaps Magic Coat now can't bounce back moves that wouldn't work on the user? Can we confirm that Confuse Ray can be reflected back onto an already confused target, for instance?

Just tried to Sleep Powder a Mebukijika. Herbivore activated and Sleep Powder had no effect. The same thing probably happens to Spore and Stun Spore, probably even Cotton Spore and Worry Seed.

Possibly not Grasswhistle, though.
I confirmed this a few pages back, just forgot to go into further detail.

Herbivore grants an immunity to non-damaging Grass moves as well. Spore, Stun Spore, Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, Worry Seed, Cotton Spore and Grasswhistle have no effect and the pokemon gets the Attack boost.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
I confirmed this a few pages back, just forgot to go into further detail.

Herbivore grants an immunity to non-damaging Grass moves as well. Spore, Stun Spore, Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, Worry Seed, Cotton Spore and Grasswhistle have no effect and the pokemon gets the Attack boost.
Okay. Fixed.

I will laugh so hard if this means it can't be healed by Aromatherapy.

Over at ProjectPokemon MrFuji, Guested and I tested out PokeShifting, Generation 3/4 exclusive moves and WiFi's Random Battle.

We tested Wild Pokemon Modifier Code caught Pokemon, which let us battle.
We tested PokeShifted without any exclusive tutored move (ie only moves learnable in gen 5), it let us battle. Scizor's Bullet Punch was fine...
We tested PokeShifted with exclusive tutor moves. It did not let us battle. Scizor + Superpower
We tested Wild Pokemon Modifier Code caught with exclusive tutor moves from gen 4 (illegal). It did not let us battle.

So if it never can learn a move in Black and White, it can't have that move to battle on Random WiFi.

It appears as if Random WiFi battle only allows legal Generation 5 movesets. Sup Stealth Rock!
I Have friends who just battled against ramdom people with Generation 4 move tutor and TM... I'm Sure that don't battle against this people is just an option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)