B&W Research Thread

Tentative Evil Eye, normally 50 power, is boosted to 100 power against a target with a status condition. Only Burn has been tested so far. (OmegaDonut)
jumpluff and I tested this with Burn, Toxic, Paralysis, Sleep, Freeze, and Confusion. Evil Eye's power was doubled against all of the above listed statuses except Confusion, which isn't really a traditional "status" anyways, but we decided to test it nonetheless.

-----

Edit: I just did some more tests on my own with regards to multi-hit moves again. I wanted to answer this question:
Hmm... That's definitely neat and poses an interesting question then:
-Does a Pokemon still take Life Orb damage only once for a multi-hit move, as in Gen IV, or does it now take 10% damage each time it hits the opponent?
As it turns out, you only take Life Orb damage once for a multi-hit move, even if the move hits 5 times. Also on a side note, you don't take Life Orb recoil if you're confused and you hit yourself in confusion. Anyways, to summarize for multi-hit attacks...

-Multi-hit attacks will activate abilities such as Rough Skin and Breakable Armor once per hit, often resulting in the ability activating multiple times in one turn.
-Multi-hit attacks will, however, only activate Life Orb recoil once per turn, even if it hits all five times.

can anyone test zekrom + reshiram cross skills? i wanna know how much there base power grow.

from what i read about the 2 skills, their power seems to grow with each use from their partners.

Haven't had a chance to look into it yet, thank you.

Well, this is going to make breeding - and RNGing - more of a pain than ever. Does Everstone still boost the chance of getting the mother's nature?
Yes it does, I've bred Kibago with a jolly nature ditto, all four hatched pokemon turned out to be Jollly nature. I've done other random breeding with different pokemon and 80% got ditto's nature.

althought can someone here test fire dance out? i'd like to know the chances of an SPA increase and i know many others here wants to know that to.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Don't know if this is something that needs to be looked into or not, but according to serebii, there are a few changes to things that are important to competitive players found in THIS LIST. Something about "special powers" gained from the Hi Link.
1) Apparently you can decrease the amount of steps necessary for hatching an egg. This might have some effect on the PID or IVs of the egg possibly, I don't know for sure.
2) Apparently you can increase the capture rate of pokemon. Don't know what pokemon, or what effect this has on PID/IVs/whatever.
3) There's also some that increase or decrease encounter rates. This may be important to Wild Captures too, I don't know.

Just a new feature that might warrant looking into.

Probably it won't work while Tension Pokemon switch out, but it would be nice if someone could test it to be sure.

For example in doubles Smeargle uses Dark Void and thanks for Tension, Tyranitar makes Lum Berries useless and opponents Pokemon are asleep. If Tyranitar switch out, does Lum Berries activate curing their status ? Or for example there are few exceptions in berries on how Tension work ? Thanks for the answer ;).

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It'll suck for RNGing, but I think this is actually a good thing for non-RNG breeding, as we'll be doing at first.

It means you can just put your final-generation parents in the Day-Care, wait for one egg, save, and then start soft-resetting for the desired nature/IV combination. You don't need to waste a lot of time generating more eggs when you get a bad one.
Uh, no, this is pretty terrible for non-RNG breeding. You think that soft-resetting for nature, ability AND IVs is going to be easier than just soft-resetting for IVs alone?

Fortunately it still seems the Everstone works. I'll be doing some tests later to see what it's doing with the PIDs of the eggs.

Don't know if this is something that needs to be looked into or not, but according to serebii, there are a few changes to things that are important to competitive players found in THIS LIST. Something about "special powers" gained from the Hi Link.
1) Apparently you can decrease the amount of steps necessary for hatching an egg. This might have some effect on the PID or IVs of the egg possibly, I don't know for sure.
Nah, steps to hatch have nothing to do with those two.

2) Apparently you can increase the capture rate of pokemon. Don't know what pokemon, or what effect this has on PID/IVs/whatever.
Cool, but once again doesn't have to do with PIDs\IVs.

3) There's also some that increase or decrease encounter rates. This may be important to Wild Captures too, I don't know.

Just a new feature that might warrant looking into.
Not when these bonuses only last three minutes.

Anyway, I've conducted some more tests on Assist Power, and haven't found a cap on the move's power yet. There might not even BE a maximum, besides the number of stats you can boost. In which case it can go as high as 980 power. I'll have to bust out Acupressure to be sure, but I don't think I have anything to test with that can survive that at L50 (Battle Subway auto-level), not even a Blissey.

L50 Gallade with 66 SpAttk against ally Blissey with 155 SpDef
Gallade has 6 Bulk Ups and 6 Double Teams, which should result in 380 BP Assist Power

Damage rolls: 103, 100, 105, 109, 102, 106, 96 (consistent with 380 BP)

Since this doesn't seem to have been brought up in this thread yet, Serebii's abilitydex claims that shadow tag traps the foe even after the pokemon with shadow tag has switched out. The exact quote (up to some capital letters and accented e's =P) in the abilitydex is

The opponent cannot run nor switch. If this pokemon switches, the opponent will remain trapped. The opponent may still switch by using baton pass.
http://serebii.net/abilitydex/shadowtag.shtml

Anyone care to confirm or deny?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Since this doesn't seem to have been brought up in this thread yet, Serebii's abilitydex claims that shadow tag traps the foe even after the pokemon with shadow tag has switched out. The exact quote (up to some capital letters and accented e's =P) in the abilitydex is

Not really. Serebii screws up descriptions way too often to look into every incident.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It has come to my attention that Feint's power has been lowered from 50 to 30. Since Feint needed to be more powerful, not less, I'm wondering this:

Can Feint hit a Pokémon that is NOT using Protect or Detect?

This should be very easy to test.

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but it is a game mechanic question, so here goes.

If you're battling someone over a random Wi-Fi match, is there a CPU-enforced Sleep Clause active? Basically I'm asking anybody who has battled on random Wi-Fi, has there been a time when you had two Pokémon asleep at once, not including ones that had used Rest?
Seems there is no Sleep Cause in random wifi, yesterday one Smeargle put three of my Pokemon to sleep (but this was a triple battle, hmm, someone should test in single battle mode)

Confirmed Multi-hit Move Synopsis:
Multi-hit moves now break through Focus Sash and Sturdy. If the first hit would not be an OHKO, Focus Sash\Sturdy never trigger. If the first hit would have been an OHKO, Focus Sash and Sturdy would trigger, but subsequent hits would KO the Pokemon. (OmegaDonut, oneballjay, Philip7086)
Multi-hit moves are treated as separate attacks, triggering some abilities multiple times. This includes recoil from Rough Skin\Iron Barbs\Rugged Helmet, Breakable Armor activation, and Herbivore activation. (need a post for credit)
However, for the purposes of Life Orb multi-hit moves are treated as a single attack. (Philip7086)
Here and here.

I'm sure that's exactly how it has always worked so far - on the turn the opponent switches the Shadow Tag user out, you can't switch out as well, but you can do that on the following turn (if the opponent is not another Shadow Tag user).

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Someone on YouTube has said that you cannot migrate a pokemon from 4th to 5th gen if it knows TM moves it cannot learn now, in addition to HM moves. Has anyone actually tried this, or are we all just assuming that it was possible? For instance, has anyone actually migrated something with Stealth Rock to their 5th-gen game?

The reason I even ask is because the OP mentions that you cannot use previous-generation-exclusive moves on random wi-fi matches, so perhaps the game considers them to be illegal. I know, for instance, that you cannot use poorly-made hacks on random battles either, but you can use them in friend code matches just fine.

Hey guys. I've been researching some Japanese sites who do research about attacks and such also and found this. It has a lot of interesting changes. Feint apparently can hit regardless of whether they use protect or not now.

http://bit.ly/d3TJhC

EDIT: Also interesting fact: Extremespeed has greater priority than quick attack moves now? Can someone confirm this?

I'm sure that's exactly how it has always worked so far - on the turn the opponent switches the Shadow Tag user out, you can't switch out as well, but you can do that on the following turn (if the opponent is not another Shadow Tag user).
Ah, that makes much more sense. Without that caveat the abilitydex wording seemed to suggest the foe was hopelessly trapped, which I suspected wasn't the case.

Anywho, another ability question which doesn't seem to be have been answered in this thread yet:

Which abilities can the ability Mummy not overwrite? In particular, can it overwrite Truant, Slow Start, Weak Kneed, or other abilities detrimental to the possessing pokemon?

I suspect it won't let you overwrite Truant, much to the chagrin of the pursuit-Mummy-Slaking hopefuls, and perhaps not even Slow Start, but someone should check to make sure.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys. I've been researching some Japanese sites who do research about attacks and such also and found this. It has a lot of interesting changes. Feint apparently can hit regardless of whether they use protect or not now.

http://bit.ly/d3TJhC
Nice find! I don't speak Japanese, so I probably missed a lot, but here are some of the things I think it says:

Encore now lasts exactly 3 turns (which we already knew, I believe)
Damaging trapping moves (Whirlpool, Fire Spin, etc.) now last 4-5 turns (which I think we knew)
Tailwind lasts 4 turns (again, known)
Uproar lasts exactly 3 turns
Growth raises both Attack and SpAtk (known)
Minimize raises evasion by 2 levels now
Taunt lasts exactly 3 turns
Poison Gas hits all foes in addition to having its accuracy increased to 80! (Hypno is now best friends with the Venom Shock-learning crowd)
Feint now hits targets that aren't using Protect/Detect (as I suspected)
Tail Glow now boosts SpAtk by 3 levels
Future Sight is no longer typeless
Not just acrobat, but all Flying-type moves have unlimited range in Triple Battles. (Perhaps that's what the mystery flag is actually for.)
Curse is no longer a ???-type move. It is Ghost-type now. The effects of Curse are unchanged.

I'll update the OP with these under tentative changes (except the ones that we already knew).

I'm testing Tail Glow right now. Will update this post in a minute.

edit;

Lvl 100 Volbeat vs Lvl 27 Haderia

Volbeat used Tail Glow!
Volbeat's Special Attack rose greatly! (rough translation, but I was like "oh shit" already, because it wasn't the "rose" or "sharply rose" message)
Haderia used Cheer Up!
Haderia's Atk and SpA rose!

Volbeat used Tail Glow!
Volbeat's Special Attack rose greatly!
Haderia used Cheer Up!
Haderia's Atk and SpA rose!

Volbeat used Tail Glow!
Volbeat's Special Attack can't go any higher!
Haderia used Take Down!

So... yeah, +3 boost. Enjoy your awesome Manaphy.

Nice find! I don't speak Japanese, so I probably missed a lot, but here are some of the things I think it says:

Encore now lasts exactly 3 turns (which we already knew, I believe)
Damaging trapping moves (Whirlpool, Fire Spin, etc.) now last 4-5 turns (which I think we knew)
Tailwind lasts 4 turns (again, known)
Uproar lasts exactly 3 turns
Growth raises both Attack and SpAtk (known)
Minimize raises evasion by 2 levels now
Taunt lasts exactly 3 turns
Poison Gas hits all foes in addition to having its accuracy increased to 80! (Hypno is now best friends with the Venom Shock-learning crowd)
Feint now hits targets that aren't using Protect/Detect (as I suspected)
Tail Glow now boosts SpAtk by 3 levels
Future Sight is no longer typeless
Not just acrobat, but all Flying-type moves have unlimited range in Triple Battles. (Perhaps that's what the mystery flag is actually for.)
Curse is no longer a ???-type move. It is Ghost-type now. The effects of Curse are unchanged.

I'll update the OP with these under tentative changes (except the ones that we already knew).
I can confirm the bolded one. I had my Emboar in game battling a Hypno at lvl 65. He used Future Sight against my Emboar. Couple of turns later, it hit Emboar for Super Effective damage

Also, can someone confirm this please:
Someone on YouTube has said that you cannot migrate a pokemon from 4th to 5th gen if it knows TM moves it cannot learn now, in addition to HM moves. Has anyone actually tried this, or are we all just assuming that it was possible? For instance, has anyone actually migrated something with Stealth Rock to their 5th-gen game?

The reason I even ask is because the OP mentions that you cannot use previous-generation-exclusive moves on random wi-fi matches, so perhaps the game considers them to be illegal. I know, for instance, that you cannot use poorly-made hacks on random battles either, but you can use them in friend code matches just fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)