B&W Research Thread

I always check anything by loading my save file (and thus the battle vid) onto my actual cart, just to be sure.

Oh, and Turbo Blaze, Tera Voltage, and Mold Breaker do not ignore Mummy. When a contact move is used, they do change to Mummy.

Does Light Clay work on Safeguard and\or Lucky Chant now?
Tested this and both Safeguard and Lucky Chant lasted 5 turns when holding a Light Clay.
So i suppose Light Clay still works the same as it did in gen IV, only for Light Screen and Reflect

Oh and i have tested Heat/poison Rampage in case you missed it

Nope, he didn't.

Regardless, the only thing he changed with Pokésav were the Pokémon moves, natures, IVs, EVs and levels. He didn't alter the Pokémon species themselves, their abilities or their locations. Maybe it has something to do with that?
Probably. We caught a random mon and changed its species to Gigaiasu and it didn't pass the test, but when we caught a Dangoro, the test went just fine.

Edit: Also, I don't know if this has been pointed out already, but I was able to play random matches with abnormal PPs, like 21/8 Encore.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Hi mien, did Zangoose/Drifblim still suffer poison/burn damage or did it also grant them an immunity ala Poison Heal? Probably the former but I can hope, right?

Hi mien, did Zangoose/Drifblim still suffer poison/burn damage or did it also grant them an immunity ala Poison Heal? Probably the former but I can hope, right?
They still suffer from Poison/burn, aside from the attack/spatt bonus the status works like it normally does.

@Squid Ninja, yes that's right

can someone check if items such as bulb or rechargeable battery are one time use?

also, do the boosts activate if a pkmn has volt absorb or water absorb?

also, do the boosts activate if a pkmn has volt absorb or water absorb?
I didn't test this, but I would assume it doesn't in the same way that LightningRod Ground types don't get boosted. After the move is absorbed in Volt/Water Absorb, it would unlikely still affect Bulb and Battery as a non-existent attack. Or vice-versa, whichever took precedent.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I may be totally wrong, but this (respected) YouTuber seems to be implying that he managed to send one of his pokemon into the Dream World, and when he got it back, its ability changed. I can't read Japanese and I know nothing about the way Dream World is supposed to work, but it might be worth looking into:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UDIizLLtgU

Maybe we don't need the global link to be functional in order to get the new abilities?

I may be totally wrong, but this (respected) YouTuber seems to be implying that he managed to send one of his pokemon into the Dream World, and when he got it back, its ability changed. I can't read Japanese and I know nothing about the way Dream World is supposed to work, but it might be worth looking into:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UDIizLLtgU

Maybe we don't need the global link to be functional in order to get the new abilities?
I'm pretty sure I heard this somewhere else. I can't remember where though, but I definitely get the feeling that there's multiple sources claiming this. Someone try and find out as much as they can before the Dream World itself goes back online, then once it's back we can finally answer the question definitively.

But what makes me cringe is that he said something about their stats changing when the come back?! I sincerely hope that isn't true.

Syberia

[custom user title]
Well, I just sent my (Lightning Rod) Zebra into Dream World and filmed the whole thing. I will also film myself getting it back, so we will have proof one way or the other. I also found it odd that some of the pokes in my boxes were greyed out so that they could not be uploaded. Keep in mind, these were legit caught in-game pokes so there wouldn't be anything wrong with their stats, moves, trash data, or the like.

He said it was an in-game poke so he didn't know if its stats changed or not.

Just wondering if someone has managed to research the pokesav = no random battles/WiFi yet.

It would have to be tested twice though.

1. Sav'ing the actual pokemon directly to the game card
2. Sav'ing on 1 game card and then trading the created pokemon to another game cartridge for use.

If the Second results in no Random Battles/WiFi I might not trade with people just for the fact i might get a Sav'd Poke and not be able to battle. Which would ruin the GTS. 'Cos people would be too scared of getting a Sav'd Pokemon

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
But what makes me cringe is that he said something about their stats changing when the come back?! I sincerely hope that isn't true.
Well, even getting back a completely different Pokemon of the same species but a Dream World ability would be fine as long as it's a female. Then you could use it to breed one with good stats and a Dream World ability.

I also found it odd that some of the pokes in my boxes were greyed out so that they could not be uploaded. Keep in mind, these were legit caught in-game pokes so there wouldn't be anything wrong with their stats, moves, trash data, or the like.
Could you show us the first video now? Perhaps we can find some common link between the grayed-out Pokemon.

Syberia

[custom user title]
But that would make getting things like DD Overconfimence a royal pain in the ass, if you had to upload it and just hope you get it back with good stats.

Well, even getting back a completely different Pokemon of the same species but a Dream World ability would be fine as long as it's a female. Then you could use it to breed one with good stats and a Dream World ability.

Could you show us the first video now? Perhaps we can find some common link between the grayed-out Pokemon.
Yeah, I was just hoping that it doesn't because it eliminates having to go back over and RNG breed pokemon. On top of that, if this is true, then 4th gen move tutors+dream world will be legal then.

Has any research been done into the ability inconsistent?
Tested it, the ability works this way:
At the end of each turn the pokemon with this ability will increase a random stat [2 stages] and decrease a random stat [1 stage]. The random stat includes Accuracy & Evasion.

So The_Chaser and I just went into a Rotation battle to test this:
Do abilities like Minus, Plus, and Flower Gift work in Rotation battles if the conditions are met?
...and we came out with a lot of cool Rotation info! I think Rotation battles might be my favorite type of battle yet, and I'm going to try and see if I can get all the research on Rotation battles down and get it to be an official Smogon metagame! Here were some of our discoveries:

1. To answer the original question, no, Plus and Minus did not work even when two Pokemon on the grid were next to each other and had the two abilities. Cherrim changed into its Sunshine form and Flower Gift activated for itself, but upon rotating it out, it did not boost any of its allies stats.
  2. Weather abilities such as Drought, Drizzle, Sand Stream, and Snow Warning do not activate upon rotating the respective Pokemon in. They only activate if the Pokemon is leading the rotation grid (in the center) or is switched in from the party.
  3. If your party is in the formation of A | B | C, where B is "leading" the grid (in the center), only Pokemon B can rotate out to A and C; Pokemon A cannot rotate to C, and Pokemon C cannot rotate to A.
  4. Entry hazards (Stealth Rock, Spikes, Toxic Spikes) do not damage Pokemon for rotating around on the grid. They only damage Pokemon who are switched out from inside their Pokeball.
  5. Moves that target multiple Pokemon such as Earthquake, Surf, and Discharge do not damage any Pokemon except the one Pokemon who is active on your opponent's grid at the time.
  6. You cannot rotate to a Pokemon and switch it out on the same turn. You can only switch a Pokemon out if it is currently active.
Like I said, I still plan to do some more research on Rotation battles and get all of the quirky functions figured out, but these are some great finds to start it off! What a cool format!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)