B&W Research Thread

Tentative It's confirmed that Fire Burst does a small amount of damage (about 1/16 of max HP) to the target's adjacent allies in a double/triple battle. Is this damage considered Fire-type damage for the purposes of Flash Fire? Does Magic Guard block it? (MauriiDS, Coram_Boy)
Flash Fire did not activate.
I did not see a message about Magic Guard, but Clefable didn't take any damage either. I will re-test with Clefable just to make sure.

ETA: Nope, Clefable isn't taking damage.

Busted Stench gives the Pokemon's attacks the ability to flinch. (The_Chaser, jumpluff, Philip7086)
I know this has been tested, but there was something that I just encountered in-game that made me think twice about this:

Summary

Far left: Ishizumai is selecting an attack. This is to show "before." It intends to use Dig (あなをほる).
Near left: Yabukuron uses Take Down (とっしん).
Near right: Yabukuron takes recoil damage.
Far right: Ishizumai flinched! (ひるんで技が出さない!).

Which leads me to believe in a couple of possibilities (some of which are not likely but whatever, listing for thoroughness):

- Stench adds the flinching effect.
- Sticky Hold adds the flinching effect.
- Sturdy (Ishizumai's ability) makes Pokemon susceptible to being flinched.
- Take Down has the added effect of flinching.
- Attempting to use Dig makes Pokemon susceptible to being flinched.
- I just translated wrong and made a huge mistake.

I think I screwed my translation up, not dondon, because I looked up the Japanese flavour text again and it does mention flinching. The verb for it has る, which is really easily confused with ろ... I'm sorry, I feel really dumb. I don't know how our test could've gone wrong since the methodology was fine. We will re-evaluate it.

I know this has been tested, but there was something that I just encountered in-game that made me think twice about this:
*snip*

Which leads me to believe in a couple of possibilities (some of which are not likely but whatever, listing for thoroughness):

Just to add a(rather farfetched) possibility, the Black Sludge item may now have a chance to induce flinching. Yabakuron has a 5% to hold it in the wild. If this wasn't a wild battle the Yabakuron might have been holding king's rock.

It belonged to a Plasma grunt. I'm fairly sure those don't hold any special items, but that is a distinct possibility, yes.

Confirmed If a Choice item holder runs out of PP for the move they are locked into, and an Elixir\Leppa Berry\etc. is used to restore its PP, they will be allowed to select a new move. (Aminar)
Now I wonder if Choice Item users are still forced to struggle when they reach 0 PP. Because if not that would explain this and make it logical.

Just to add a(rather farfetched) possibility, the Black Sludge item may now have a chance to induce flinching. Yabakuron has a 5% to hold it in the wild. If this wasn't a wild battle the Yabakuron might have been holding king's rock.

1. 'Stench adds the flinching effect.'
- I think it is true.

2. 'Sticky Hold adds the flinching effect.'
- It is absolutely FALSE.

3. 'Sturdy (Ishizumai's ability) makes Pokemon susceptible to being flinched.'
- It is so ridiculous. ABSOLUTELY FALSE.

4. Take Down has the added effect of flinching.
- It is false. I checked move data. (http://stuff.veekun.com/bw-moves.html)

5. 'Attempting to use Dig makes Pokemon susceptible to being flinched.'
- Are you SEREOUS?

As you know, King's rock don't effect on some move. for example, Air Slash is effected by King's rock, but Zen Headbutt isn't. So, I think that"Busted Stench gives the Pokemon's attacks the ability to flinch." is false. We need more experiment, more test, more time.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Digging a hole doesn't really count as an actual attack, so I'm pretty sure Stench doesn't randomly block moves, it'd have to add Flinch to the moves it uses.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I just took my Stench Skuntank out to fight a few wild Pokemon.

Fourth one it ran into was a Dotekkotsu who flinched from Fury Swipes. (Although this does not contradict TMN's contact-move-attempt theory.)

I think it's safe to say that jumpluff, Philip7086 and The_Chaser were just really unlucky.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I just took my Stench Skuntank out to fight a few wild Pokemon.

Fourth one it ran into was a Dotekkotsu who flinched from Fury Swipes. (Although this does not contradict TMN's contact-move-attempt theory.)

I think it's safe to say that jumpluff, Philip7086 and The_Chaser were just really unlucky.
So perhaps Stench only causes flinching if the Stench Pokémon uses a Contact move?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So perhaps Stench only causes flinching if the Stench Pokémon uses a Contact move?
Their original test involved using Scratch 20 times, and didn't cause a flinch once.

I'm going to do some tests with Sing-A-Round, see if that causes flinches.

EDIT: Apparently Sing-A-Round is a TM you need 36 BP to get, so to save time I used Hidden Power. I successfully flinched a Koromori and Gantoru with it.

Sorry if I'm a Slowpoke, but this isn't in the OP: Lightningrod now grants immunity to Electric and raises SpAtk when the user is hit by an Electric move, including T-wave. Oddly, the OP does mention Ground-types don't get the boost. This, of course, means Seaking is now a BoltBeam resister.

Gyro Ball: Has its power formula changed to something similar to Electra Ball?
Geodude with 256 attack and 50 Speed using Gyro Ball against the fellowing who all have 216 def
The BP listed is roughly the real one not the exact BP(i only tested it twice)

Pineco (50Spe): 23-36 damage- 25BP
Pineco (99Spe): 45-48 damage- 50BP
Pineco (101Spe):49-50 damage- 50BP
Wobbuffet(149Spe):66-71 damage- 75BP
Wobbuffet(151Spe):67-76 damage- 75BP
Altaria(199 Spe): 89-91 damage- 100BP
Altaria(201 Spe): 91-99 damage- 100BP
Altaria(250 Spe): 119-125 damage- 125BP
Gengar(350Spe): 134-149 damage- 150BP
Gengar holding Choice Scarf(350Spe): 129-137 damage- 150BP

Gyro Ball works exactly the same way as it did in D/P it seems

People told me that this is not true anymore:

Level Up Moves
If both parents know the same Level Up move and the baby can learn the same move by level up, the baby will be born with that move. For example, if a male Slowbro is breeding with a female Slowking and both know the Level up move Zen Headbutt, the baby Slowpoke will be born knowing Zen Headbutt.

Does anyone confirm it? I don't have access to my BW right now to test it :/

Lol, seriously? Do you happen to have an idea what the % chance of flinching with Stench is? I'd like to know how unlucky we were, in terms of a percentage -__-.

People told me that this is not true anymore:

Level Up Moves
If both parents know the same Level Up move and the baby can learn the same move by level up, the baby will be born with that move. For example, if a male Slowbro is breeding with a female Slowking and both know the Level up move Zen Headbutt, the baby Slowpoke will be born knowing Zen Headbutt.

Does anyone confirm it? I don't have access to my BW right now to test it :/
That has been true since... uh... the second generation?

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Lol, seriously? Do you happen to have an idea what the % chance of flinching with Stench is? I'd like to know how unlucky we were, in terms of a percentage -__-.
Well, if the chance of flinching were 10%, the chance of it not activating 20 out of 20 times is about 12%. So, it's quite possible you were just unlucky.

They said it's not true anymore, ie both parents knowing level up moves DOESN'T pass along the move.
Atleast that's how I read what was posted

Tentative Elemental Gems give a one-time boost to attacks of the same type as the gem. Gives an activation message when used up. The boost appears to be 50%. (Seriin, sixonesix)
Not sure why it is tentative but here it goes
Blissey holding Fire Jewel with 186 Spatt using Flamethrower against a Rankurusu with 206SpD: 93-110 damage(took me about 30 times to get both minimum and max damage)

So i suppose that confirms that it is a 50% boost

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)