CAP 14 CAP 3 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A general note to artists:

The Secondary Ability Poll is coming up soon, and if NCA is selected we'll be moving on to Art. I've just issued their 24 hour warning, and then the vote would go up.

I would thus advise a potential 48 hour warning to finish up your artwork and mark it with a final submission. You may end up getting an extension, but please be as prepared as you can.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission:

Oil snake main design:

Supplementary sketches 1: Ouroboros transportation, using Sludge Bomb, roasting a Delibird, lurking in waters, some tail-attack (Power Whip?), and sneaking up on a Gastrodon.

Supplementary sketches 2: Sludge Bombing/Inferno-ing a Celebi, Intimidating a Dugtrio, sleeping (Rest, if as a move), some fanged attack on a Stunfisk, Wild Charge, Coil, and a sequence of igniting its trail of oil with a FWOOSH.

Supplementary art 2.5: Pixel art version of the first two drawings from sketches #2.

Supplementary sketches 3: Two-piece set of a coiling oil snake springing up and down for an Earthquake or something, Sludge Wave, Overheat (or Outrage), an affirmation of Dry Skin, preparing a Gunk Shot, Shed Skin as a flavor ability, and a tail-oil-boosted Quick Attack.

Supplementary doodles 4: Doodles of some of the lesser-lauded concepts that I like--paintseagull's, KoA's, thornchild's, and RotationalBasis's--and the oil snake in more scenarios: some fridge-logic-like thingymabob on how it absorbs Toxic Spikes (looks like it's taking an Ice Shard :/), using Hypnosis on a Politoed (I do keep pokemon to scale, hence it needing to stick the tail in the ground to reach up), and (like Yilx's design) sticking its pump-tail into the ground to use Sludge Wave/Lava Plume/Eruption.

Comments:
  • Stagnant: You know, that design works quite well, though I'm not sure why! That means I can't give much commentary on the design part of it. D:
  • SoIheardyoulikeSENTRET: Nice shading. :P But yeah, those fires look much better integrated into the design. I do wonder if there's been enough of a lull between CAPs to acknowledge another tribal-design-oriented pokemon--not that I'm against yours, mind you.
  • LouisCyphre: The first and third alternate palettes work nicely for shinies. I lean more toward the first. Wish it got Poison Point or something, as this CAP's abilities are working against you flavor-wise.
  • bugmaniacbob: Again, less Quilava-like will help you.
  • MLaRF: Well, I must say that your design hits all the points competitive-wise and flavor-wise. Or maybe your design is broad enough to encompass any possible abilities that'll be given to the CAP.
  • DrOfla: Great to see another individual who uses oil as poison. Right now, I think the design is too plain. There'd need more fiery and poisonous and aesthetic elements to give it that pokemon-like quirk, rather than have it just be an edited Stegosaurus.
  • Ahem: Sphyxius? Does that mean mine gains your approval? ;D

Final Submission

Final Submission
Final Submission

Main Design

ChimeraMon is a pokemon seemingly made of the genetic structures of others, able to be found in the wild, and made in labs around the world. Such as the platypus found on a similar world as ours far away, it is a mammalian creature that has adapted to it's various environments over thousands of years by a type of evolution we have yet to understand.

ChimeraMon is an creature who's adapted specifically to survive around large bodies of water, while still being able to hunt wild sawsbuck. Since many of the amphibious organisms who inhabit the areas around the water like to attack wounded ChimeraMon, it's skin began to absorb water. This became ChimeraMon's main source of water, and when droughts swept the region, many began suffering dehydration.

Did I mention, Final Submisson?

meddle

boomer user
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Main Design:

Supporting Material

So, I'm not sure if I quite delivered on all the feedback I received for this guy, but I think I ended up making a pretty interesting (albeit odd) 'mon for CAP 3. Due to time constraints I'm really unable to offer much supporting material for the cauldron-mon in the way of art, but I do envision him having a very Rotom-like lore, in the sense that he's this inanimate object that comes to life through the 'magic' of Pokemon, so to speak. I can imagine the 'goo' half of the cauldron-mon emerging from his pot when the bottom reaches a certain temperature--the poison bubbling over and coming to life. In that sense he has this "dormant" and an "active" state.

As for harmonizing with the stat spread, I can easily see this guy being more specially-oriented, in terms of both offense and defense, firing out Sludge Bomb and Fire Blast, the goo and furnace parts of the design easily absorbing water attacks or turning them into steam. As for Dry Skin, I think that Doug addressed it best, and so his comment is all that needs to be said on the matter (and so should apply to every design that ends up being slated, in my opinion).

Thanks for your support of my concept and constructive criticism over the course of this art thread, specifically to: Quanyails, Koops, tea_and_blues, MLaRF, Yilx, Todd, srk1214, Seven Eagles, Yarnus, Kwihll, Quilph, and Mos-Q. So many good designs here--even if mine does not get many votes (let alone makes the slate), I'm sure we'll end up with something really cool!

Previous Iterations (just for fun)
http://i.imgur.com/3VLhp.png - initial sketch
http://i.imgur.com/hWRif.png - initial coloration & design
http://i.imgur.com/CUPiJ.png - 'witch doctor' concept
http://i.imgur.com/SqTj9.png - "cauldron alone" with male/female colorations
http://i.imgur.com/0C3sX.png - first iteration of the goo monster
http://i.imgur.com/mH68P.png - goo monster and new cauldron (with horns)

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
Final submission

(Based on an axolotl, so it goes well with dry skin and a regenerating ability/move)

It is only found near certain lakes, which contain clean fresh water. Only there it can retain its bright colouring.
Many of them gather in the morning sun to warm up, which made the natives think they were worshiping the sun. When swimming they preserve the stored heat inside their body, in order keep themself active.
To protect themselves from enemies they make use of a potent poison, which is emittet by contact. Foes who don't care about the signal colours are discouraged by the tail acting as a second head (reference to the gila monster).

supplementary art
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/61/supplementary.png

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I did this concept piece to show the radioactive canine being rambunctious as ever. I call this one:

"Dogs Love Chasing Squirrels"

Final submission will be posted soon.

meddle I must say this design has come a long way from your initial drawings, that cauldron looks perfect now! I'm not too sure about those horns on the slime part's head, but at this point I'd be nitpicking.

DJD, Emolga's looking a bit deformed. Perhaps out of fear? :p
The dog looks lovely as always!

There isn't a monopoly on ideas here. Let the stegosauruses (or whatever else) fight it out in the Thunderdome.

Loving the submissions I'm seeing. Cretacerus, I still see steel in your design, but I <3 <3 the way your supp. art brings the Pokemon to life, and your final submission has a lovely style.

Final Submission

Here's some extras:
The umbrella creature from a Magikarp's view
A few sketches of the umbrella creature in the sun (a bad thing) and attacking
And the umbrella creature just relaxing

Thanks all for the great feedback! Found out if the umbrella goes orange it becomes a pumpkin - recently discovered if I turned it green, it became a palm tree.

Between tea_and_blues and DougJustDoug, I think my creature'll get squashed, but I wanted to make something unique and I think this fits. Thanks again!

Edited - to incorporate outline around flame and nix the pool of poison as paintseagull wisely points out below (I bow before yours and DougJustDoug's experience) - the mistake was mine and was made innocently - wasn't trying to get away with stuff, or to compare myself to professionals – just misunderstood the rules. Sorry. If this edit makes my entry no longer "Final," I understand and submit. Rules are rules, and newness is no excuse.

Final Submission

Bomb Elephant takes the stage!

I unfortunately did not have time to take a lot of the critique I received into account, I did fix the back legs somewhat. Thanks for your consideration!

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
thornchild, meddle and flexistentialist, I'm pretty your final subs are illegal and won't get slated as they stand right now. thornchild and flexistentialist, you need an outline around *all* of the design. thornchild, the lines around yours, in the tentacles especially, are broken and sketchy, and I think it could be illegal. There's also no outline around the flames coming out of the top. Flexi, you have no outline around your flame. meddle, there seems to be some kind of blur effect around the outline of your sludge guy.

edit: Yes flexi, you can edit it up until the thread closes! CAP art rules actually disqualify lots of official pokemon art. "It must have a distinguishable outline on the entire subject in contrast to the background." I am 99% sure this means your flame needs an outline.

Actually now that I think about it, the pool of purple poison at the base might disqualify you too. It's not a part of the design, but an effect, so on the final art it should be removed. "No props, action effects, move effects, or additional objects can be rendered on or around the Pokemon. If a prop is part of the Pokemon's basic design (ie. Conkeldurr's pillars), then it is acceptable."

If mine is illegal, I'm very sorry (is it legal to edit a final submission?)
I was under the impression that a black line outline wasn't necessary around everything, just a hard line/edge - no fades of smoke into the background and such. It should be able to have a solid silhouette. (was referencing Chandelure's flame, and didn't remember it having a hard black line around that center flame – but I have been wrong before and will likely be wrong again –soon)

the flexistentialist

Final submission

Some extra's:
- in the de(s)sert
- flametrower
- front view

The concept is based on a egiptian snake, an uraeus and the pharoa's. It uses it's hood to protect it from the sun. It is able to take off it's hood even though it rarely does this. With the shiny gems, it can send off powerfull attacks.
I tried to make is as simplistic as possible because I wanted to try to make it 1ste gen-style.

I didn't think I was going to enter because I had a rough (and busy) week but i had some spare time and I just couldn't let it go ^^

Final Submission

Main Design

Supporting Material
This Pokemon lived roughly 150 million years ago. Most of them were preserved in the tar pits that are now the Unova desert. Unfortunately, only a few architects have been able to reconstruct full skeletons of this pokemon. Currently there is one on display in the Nacrene City museum.

Millions of years ago, these were poison type Pokemon. They used the poisonous barbs on its tail and head to ward of predators, while utilizing the spike plates on its back for defense. The revived fossil is still a poison type, but has gained more poisonous power from tar that remains on it's back. This tar has also become a fuel source as the array of plates on it's back has become ignited; allowing it to utilize the power of fire.

Other

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Edit Note: I hope its okay that I changed this to my Final Submission, I didn't want this to look like or become edit spam.

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Final Submission

Final Submission
Main Design

Supporting Material
Description
This creature is a walking radioactive waste accident, with the personality of a big playful dog. It's entire body emits searing heat and toxic radiation, but the pokemon has no idea that it is lethal to everything and everyone around it. When people run at first sight of this glowing nuclear beast, the pokemon thinks it's time for a fun game of chase! It doesn't want to hurt anyone, it just wants someone to play...

Inspiration
I have been kicking around radiation based ideas since Fire/Poison was first chosen as the typing. I was originally considering a post-apocalyptic radioactive zombie kinda thing, but all the sketches were too morbid or too human-like for a pokemon. Then I started imagining, "What if a playful dog was radioactive instead?" I loved the contradiction of a big playful animal who just wants attention and fun, cursed to be deadly to everyone around it. That dichotomy piqued my interest.

I didn't want to do a literal dog, but preferred to make a more generic quadriped beast with a glowing radioactive body, where you can see vaguely skeletal structures inside. Hopefully the look evokes impressions of x-rays and that sort of thing, while at the same time looking deadly and kinda scary. The alert stance, upright tail, and wagging tongue are all classic characteristics of a dog ready to play and have fun, which completes the visual contradiction.

Concept Art

"Dogs Love Chasing Squirrels"

Other Pictures

This was yet another fun and challenging design project for CAP! There are at least 5 or 6 other designs in this thread that I'd be happy to see win, and many others that I like. I have enjoyed seeing artists support and help each other throughout the thread and on IRC. That camaraderie has produced some fantastic designs and wonderful supporting material. Thanks to everyone who participated and good luck to all the CAP artists who submit final designs!

thornchild

I was under the impression that a black line outline wasn't necessary around everything, just a hard line/edge - no fades of smoke into the background and such. It should be able to have a solid silhouette. (was referencing Chandelure's flame, and didn't remember it having a hard black line around that center flame – but I have been wrong before and will likely be wrong again –soon)

the flexistentialist
I was under the impression that this is how the rule was to be looked at as well. The rule simply states that it has to have a distinct outline from the background no fading or glow. Although I know my lines are sketchy, that's just how my work is. I'm a little weary to go back in and do that given what time is left. Can I get a definitive judgment on if editing is necessary?

DougJustDoug

paintseagull is correct in all of her callouts of submissions that will be disqualified. All the affected artists should edit their artwork. Do not post repeatedly in this thread with questions like "Is this OK now?" or similar. This thread is not for moderators to give a tutorial to artists that do not understand the rules. Nor is it a thread for lineskating rules violators to eke out a series of itty bitty changes in hopes of barely making their submission adhere to the letter of the rule just in time for the poll.

Hundreds of artists have made rules-compliant art over the years, with no more instruction than what is contained in the OP of this thread. It's not difficult to comply. I strongly advise you to look at every aspect of your art and read everything in the OP. If you have even the barest hint of an idea that your art may not comply -- then most likely your art will be disqualified. I've seen it happen on every CAP, and almost every time the offending artist says afterwards, "Yeah I was wondering if it might be illegal, but then I thought <whatever reason to rationalize not changing their art>." Trust me, you really don't want to spend all this time making an artwork just to get it disqualified because you can't figure out something basic like the concept of an OUTLINE. C'mon guys, you're smarter than that.

Don't give us any excuses about "your style" or whatever as a reason the rules don't apply to you. And definitely don't compare your art to ingame pokemon designs to make a determination if your art is legal. We don't care if Ken Sugimori did it -- you can't. If you want to enter your art in Ken Sugimori's contest, be my guest. But this is the CAP design contest, and our rules are clearly stated in the OP.

This post is intentionally meant to be harsh and direct. Because for every artist out there who is innocently trying to follow the rules and just made some inadvertent mistakes -- there is another pain-in-the-ass push-every-rule-to-the-limit borderline cheater that is a nightmare for those of us that have to moderate this whole thing. And EVERY TIME someone is allowed even the slightest leeway on the rules, we get a bazillion complaints from other artists who think it's unfair. So yeah, we have to be harsh and direct on this stuff.

Just follow the rules, please. And if you can't seem to figure out the rules on your own, that everyone else seems to understand just fine -- then maybe you need to sit this one out and lurk more till next time.

the flexistentialist
no one says the outline has to be BLACK it just has to be an outline

YourFavoriteEgyptian

Banned deucer.
Final Submission

My final submission to the CAP art design forum thingy. I added sludgecanos if that is what you want to call them. Good luck to all artists.

Final Submission

Well, the smoke v's didn't work out so i cooked up a new salamander entry in the last 24 hours. This unfortunately means that there is no supporting artwork however I like the new design better. A fire mane thing was added based upon those deep sea salamanders whose name escapes me. I made it more poisonous looking with drippy skin and more of a shine to show that it has toxic liquids/oils on it's skin, kind of like poison dart frogs. Anyhow I hope you like it.

Good luck to everyone else and may the best design win!

Final Submission

Final Submission

Supporting Material

Underwater Volcano Giant Tube Worm Mon Facts:

• Design is based on a Giant tube worm + Submarine volcano
  • Hard to find, very rare as it only lives around underwater volcanoes
  • Implants itself on an area where it can suck lava in its body. Why? Its body needs heat at an immense temperature of 700 °C and more to function.
  • Lack of heat in its body for a long period of time will make its red marks turn dull pink and then eventually white, meaning death.
  • Cools itself off by releasing smoke through the holes in its body parts. The released smoke is extremely toxic as its body is already naturally poisonous.

Old Art Concept

Possible Shiny Colors

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)