Counter that Pokemon - Mk III [Silvershadow234 vs. New Breed]

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
One reason to choose Nasty Plot over 3 attacks is because the offensive coverage between Escavalier and Slowking is already great and not much need for Fire Blast (unless we really wanna hit Ferroseed THAT badly). We also don't know what we're up against and the extra power provided by Nasty Plot is a safe way to fall back. Nasty Plot also turns many 2HKOs to OHKOs which is great. We also want to be dealing enormous chunks to anything that switches in, resist or not and +2 SpA will take care of that. And while NP is hard to set up, if we do get the chance it's gonna rule and I don't see how Fire Blast helps us other than covering the Grass-types that Escavalier can already punch through.

OK, gonna wrap this round up now. Here are the three nominations:

scorpdestroyer's Slowking 1
Oglemi's Omastar 2
New Breed's Slowking 10

Hmm. Hmm Hmm Hmm. For me the contest is mainly between New Breed's Slowking and Oglemi's Omastar. I'm sorry scorpdestroyer but I've never been a fan of Nasty Plot Slowking (just a personal opinion) and especially not when it needs two free turns to actually sweep. New Breed's is a more efficient sweeper as it requires less setup. It's obvious that both Omastar and Slowking can easily take the Fire attacks directed at Escavalier, but fact of the matter is that it is incredibly easy to accompany a Grass-type move with a Fire-type one. Oglemi does make a good point about giving Escavalier entry hazards and the way Escavalier can trap Cryogonal, but my main gripe is how easy it is for the opposing team to take advantage of a slow Pokemon with a 4x weakness. So I'm gonna have to go with New Breed's Slowking. It's a more solid option that provides beautiful support to Escavalier in the form of Trick Room and has nigh impeccable offensive and defensive synergy with it.

I was hoping that there would be a regular Support Slowking on the list since Trick Room could hurt team 2's options if it wants to choose faster Pokemon. scorpdestroyer's Slowking will probably have difficulty setting up so I'm going to go with New Breed.

There's also an article on this core :p

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
no love for oma ;-;

i'm still going to vote for myself though cuz slow-esca has been done to death 9.9

Oglemi

New breed for the reason that it doesnt require 2 turns to sweep and provides trick room which escavalier loves and can kill a lot of things and is a check to accelegor and accelegor sucks under trick room.

Edit: My previous suggestion was kinda completely retarded, here's a new one (last one I swear):

Dusknoir @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Sdef
Adamant nature (+Atk -SAtk)
- Shadow Sneak
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Often thought outclassed by his younger brother, the big guy's got something Dusclops wishes it had; a useable attack stat! Our pudgy poltergeist resists one of each of their STAB moves, can OHKO Escavalier, and can 2HKO Slowking while completely bypassing its Trick Room, also completely negating its ability with Pursuit. This combined with its natural bulk makes it perfect for shutting down not only those two, but others that may resist with its handy Earthquake.

It's obvious that Team 2 is going the slow and bulky offensive route. So I'm just gonna suggest something that fits Accelgor's theme in hitting hard and fast, but can't take a hit. It also completely destroys both Escavalier and Slowking

Absol @ Life Orb
Trait: Super Luck
EVs: 244 Atk / 12 SAtk / 252 Spe
Naughty nature (+Atk -SDef)
- Night Slash
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Fire Blast

OHKOs Slowking with Night Slash or Sucker Punch. No hazards needed. Obviously Sucker Punch if it gets TR up, otherwise Night Slash. The 12 SAtk EVs insure the OHKO on Escavalier with Fire Blast without Stealth Rock. Absol gives Team 1 an excellent priority abuser, and between it an Accelgor, Team 1 isn't getting swept any time soon. The frailty issue on Team 1 is a proble however, so we might have to think forward to using bulkier Pokemon / VolTurn users for the next ones if Absol is chosen.

Medicham @ choice band
252 speed 252 attack 4 special defence adamant
High jump kick
Thunder punch
Psycho cut
Ice punch
This poke puts a stop to team 2 and their slow team. This poke can ohko both pokes with ease and nothing can safely switch in due to its huge power. Having a fighting stab early also means they can't choose bulky normal types and the only way to beat this is revenge killing. This puts team 2 in a tight spot as without trick room up they get beat unless they have a quicker poke but if they do have a quicker poke it gets destroyed if trick room is up.
We can always add a strong pursuiter to help the ghost weakness but Medicham can 2hko them all bar spiritomb which struggles beating accelegor so not their best choice imo. All the counters to Medicham (which exists of spiritomb) arent that viable and setup fodder too. Basically it gets a ko every time it comes in and that they only share a flying weakness which isn't hard at all to patch up and good flying types: Braviary (choiced or slow), swellow (it's in oh it died) and drifblm which isn't hard to counter at all.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus

Manectric @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power Grass
- Volt Switch

I think Manectric is a perfect fit for the Team 1 thus far; Manectric keeps up offensive pressure to stave off Slowking from setting up Trick Room, and Volt Switch is a great tool to have for the team since we don't know what else Team 2 might throw our way. A Life Orb set is the obvious tool to go with assuming Team 2 is going the bulky/offense route, and allows Manectric to pummel the team for a longer period of time. Flamethrower easily OHKOs Esca, and Thunderbolt nearly OHKOs Slowking too (has a 62% chance to OHKO after SR).

Quite conversely to some of the statements made about Accelgor wanting a frail, powerful teammate, I have a different approach:

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SDef
Careful Nature
- Swagger
- Recover
- Waterfall
- Earthquake

Swagsire is such an underrated threat in this meta, since many RU mons have high attack, or boost it as such, or less-than-savory defense. But the best part comes with Quag's ability, Unaware. This means that the attack boost given by Swagger will be ignored when the foe attacks Quagsire directly, but not when the opponent attacks himself in his confusion, meaning that the damage done from hitting yourself in confusion is made much more significant, greatly reducing the foe's reliability in that pokemon. The rest isn't too hard to figure out. The EVs are spread to have respectable bulk, Recover and Lefties bring Quagsire's lifespan to much greater levels, and Waterfall and EQ give Quag a good STAB combination. Plus, he can tank the Fire, Rock, and (to some extent) Flying moves Accelgor cannot.

Druddigon @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 SpA
IVs: 0 Spd
Brave Nature
- Outrage
- Flamethrower
- Thunderpunch
- Earthquake

Druddigon is excelent vs team 2 He can counter slowking and can kill with thunderpunch, and kill escavalier with flamethrower, and outrage kills everything no steel, earthquake necessary coverage, he can cover the fire weakness of accelgor too

Qwilfish (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Pain Split

Qwilfish is an excellent teammate for Accelgor, providing us a good switch in into Escavalier, physical Fire type attacks and also common priority moves from Pokemon suck as Entei, Kabutops and Hitmonlee that can easily threaten Accelgor. Qwilfish also provides Team 1 with Spikes support which Accelgor greatly appreciates, turning many 2HKO's into OHKO's and 3HKO's into 2HKO's. Qwilfish can even taunt Slowking to prevent it from setting up Trick Room if your feeling ballsy.

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus

Magneton @ Eviolite
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 156 HP | 252 SAtk | 100 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
Volt Switch | Thunderbolt | Hidden Power [Fire] | Substitute

The reason why Magneton would be an amazing pokemon for team 1 is because it can destroy Escavalier as it will limit it switches, also Magneton beats Slowking as long TR isn't up this is pretty good as Magneton nearly serves as counter to both Slowking and Escavalier bar Fire Blast which means if Magneton is picked something to wall Fire types will be much needed for the next pokemon. Another cool thing with Magneton is it's typing Electric/Steel, is pretty damn solid and also carrying an amazing SAtk and momentum in Volt Switch which seems to fit Accelgor perfectly as Accelgor loves to come in untouched. What im trying to say is that Magneton will be an amazing tank due to eviolite and an amazing momentum creater that hits hard and be a pain for team 2's wallbreaker Escavalier.

OK, I'm going to bed now, and when I wake up, after my bowl of cereal and a shower, I'll close the noms. So probably another 10-12 hours for noms, since double01 and I think that 8 is already a nice solid number. in the meantime, feel free to discuss the ones we already have or submit new ones.

Before I go to bed I'll just post some positives and flaws about the pokes.
Dusknoir:
Good: Beats team 2's pokes ATM easily and can switch in on the beastly escavalier.
Bad: Easily walled with its only respectable attacking stat.
Absol
Good: Beats team 2's pokes and provides priority.
Bad: Cant boost stats and walled by fighting types. Also fire blast IMHO is a gimmick
Medicham
Good: Spiritomb is its only counter if predicted right and can ohko both members.
Bad: No defence at all and shared flying weakness
Manetric
Good: Momentum and can beat team 2's picks most of the time.
Bad: No defence and can be walled but can normally get out of it with volt switch
Quagsire
Good: Beats slowking and seems fun to play with against escavalier.
Bad: Escavalier beats it though and so do fire types with hp grass.
Druddigon
Good: Can beat both pokes and good coverage.
Bad: Can be beat easily with prediction and revenged easily.
Quilifish
Good: One of the few pokes that beats escavalier and thunder wave is a bonus.
Bad: Atm spikes can be played around easily and mono coverage is easily walled.
Magneton:
Good: Beats escavalier and slowking and traps Magneton too.
Bad: Easily walled and sub/volt switch IMO isn't a very good idea.
Those are my views cya in the morning!=D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)