Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer MK V: We're Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you're thinking of making a topic that can be answered with one post, please post it here instead. New threads should be for discussion!

When posting in this thread, follow the following guidelines:

1. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.
  2. While answering Yes/No question, please quote the question you're referring to. It gets confusing otherwise.
  3. At least do a simple google search before asking the question here.
  4. This is already in the Smogon and Dragonspiral Tower forum rules, but I will reiterate again do not discuss ROMs or other illegal things.
  5. Do not ask for Action Replay or other external device codes. Use Google for that.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does [move / item / ability] do?
Check the links in this topic before asking. http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78983
Also read the first post here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79340

How can I view an alphabetical listing of all the Pokemon threads?
Click here.

Can we breed Dream World Abilities?
From the research thread:
CONFIRMED Breeding a Dream World female parent with any male parent (but not vice versa) has a chance of giving the offspring its respective Dream World Ability. It is unknown whether Ditto counts as the female for this purpose, and we won't know until DW Ditto is released. (Maverick Hunter, 0mastar\The Shadow Knight)
Can you use Rotom's alternate forms over WiFi?
Yes.

Why can't I select a Pokémon to replace a fainted in a Pokémon in a Triple Battle?
First you have to select which Pokémon you want to have replaced. If multiple Pokémon fainted, the game doesn't know which Pokémon you want on which position. So what you have to do is first select one of your fainted pokemon, and then select which unfainted pokemon you want to replace it with. (Thanks Chieliee)

What damage calculator should I use for 5th Gen?
Many a user will rave about this one. You may need microsoft silverlight to run it though.

The first SQSA thread can be found here.
The second can be found here.
The third can be found here.
The fourth is here.

Just posting to say maybe you should link to a couple damage calculators in the OP, as where to find one is probably the single most common question I saw in the last iteration of this thread (indeed, I even asked it myself way back). It'd be really helpful to have it right there.

If a zoroark switches into a zoroark (not disguised) will it take on the illusion property in that if ditto is switched in it will not transform as illusion is technically in effect?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Illusion is based on your team, not your opponent's, so Illusion would work as normal.

Also, Silverlight isn't bad, just slow as hell. I do prefer Honko's though.

On the Raikou Choice set, it is stated that Aura Sphere is preferred if using a Scarf, since Raikou "will not mind the loss of Speed that much." What does Aura Sphere have to do with a loss of speed?

Arcticblast

is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Aura Sphere Raikou was released as a shiny Raikou with a Rash nature. Thus, Raikou can only have Aura Sphere (and Weather Ball and two other moves) if it is shiny and has a Rash nature. That's where the loss of Speed comes in.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just posting to say maybe you should link to a couple damage calculators in the OP, as where to find one is probably the single most common question I saw in the last iteration of this thread (indeed, I even asked it myself way back). It'd be really helpful to have it right there.
Done and done

Can I use the pokemon that I download from Pokecheck on Random Match?
If not, can I download and use them just for breeding purposes?

Aura Sphere Raikou was released as a shiny Raikou with a Rash nature. Thus, Raikou can only have Aura Sphere (and Weather Ball and two other moves) if it is shiny and has a Rash nature. That's where the loss of Speed comes in.
I believe you mean a Quiet nature. Rash is +SpA -SpD. Quiet is +SpA -Spe.

Has anyone tried out Latias' Modest LO Tank set yet, and can comment on it? There's a spot on my team that can only be filled with a Dragon/Psychic, and I need something with more bulk than Latios and more immediate power than Latias' CM Dragon Pulse sets.
Any suggestions?

I take the pictures from smogons strategy pokedex if you're looking fo simple sprites if you want something else you could go to google images

Can I use the pokemon that I download from Pokecheck on Random Match?
If not, can I download and use them just for breeding purposes?
You cannot use the Pokemon you download from Pokecheck on Random Match, as they come with a "classic" ribbon that will prevent them from being usable. You can however use them for breeding purposes, as I have myself in the past.

Has anyone tried out Latias' Modest LO Tank set yet, and can comment on it? There's a spot on my team that can only be filled with a Dragon/Psychic, and I need something with more bulk than Latios and more immediate power than Latias' CM Dragon Pulse sets.
Any suggestions?
I haven't used it but I have FACED it and I think it's a perfectly viable use of Latias. The only reason it isn't used more often is because generally Latios is more suitable to all-out attacking sets. Latias IS however completely capable of doing the same. 110 Special attack and Speed is nothing to scoff at, making it more powerful than Starmie and only slightly slower. It also comes with the element of surprise to boot, which will very likely net you a surprise KO in many games. And unlike many Pokemon that can use the element of surprise, this one is actually still effective even after the surprise is gone. Just look out for pursuit trappers. My Ttar just has a field day with that Latias for example :P.

I haven't used it but I have FACED it and I think it's a perfectly viable use of Latias. The only reason it isn't used more often is because generally Latios is more suitable to all-out attacking sets. Latias IS however completely capable of doing the same. 110 Special attack and Speed is nothing to scoff at, making it more powerful than Starmie and only slightly slower. It also comes with the element of surprise to boot, which will very likely net you a surprise KO in many games. And unlike many Pokemon that can use the element of surprise, this one is actually still effective even after the surprise is gone. Just look out for pursuit trappers. My Ttar just has a field day with that Latias for example :P.
I see, that's good to hear. I needed something that could abuse its resistances whilst still being vaguely offensive, and no investment dragon pulses just weren't doing it. T-tars aren't a problem (1 counter and two checks on the team to most variants) so it should help.
Anyone else got anything to say about it? Does the loss of speed hit it hard at all?

I see, that's good to hear. I needed something that could abuse its resistances whilst still being vaguely offensive, and no investment dragon pulses just weren't doing it. T-tars aren't a problem (1 counter and two checks on the team to most variants) so it should help.
Anyone else got anything to say about it? Does the loss of speed hit it hard at all?
Well looking at what outspeeds it with that spread, it does loose out on some major threats anything above a Nuetral base 100 nature will outspeed it, meaning most Salamence, Virizon, Terrakion, Landorus, Latios (which sometime run Modest), an so on outspeed it. Seeing as Latias is a great check to many of these threats when it DOES outspeed them, and others can stop its sweep short, I'd say it does loose a lot with the loss of speed.

Personally, I'd probably use the standard sweeper spread of 252/252/4 Timid as opposed to the others, using it like a Starmie with better surviability and resistances, and power, unless you REALLY need the extra bulk. In my opinion, being able to outspeed those threats is just too valuable to pass up.

EDIT:
@QUAZ:
I always write up my larger posts in MS Word and save them there when writing them to make sure I don't lose my work. If you know BBC code at all you can even do the formatting in Word and just copy and past it at the end. Much safer than trying to write it up in the "make a reply" box.

EDIT:
@QUAZ:
I always write up my larger posts in MS Word and save them there when writing them to make sure I don't lose my work. If you know BBC code at all you can even do the formatting in Word and just copy and past it at the end. Much safer than trying to write it up in the "make a reply" box.
I type it all out then just copy it; if it doesn't go through go back and paste in again.

Does anyone else find it amazing that the BW2 thread had outpaced in terms of amount of posts. It was posted a month latter and reached the same amount of posts in the same amount of time. Talk about speculation o.o

Well looking at what outspeeds it with that spread, it does loose out on some major threats anything above a Nuetral base 100 nature will outspeed it, meaning most Salamence, Virizon, Terrakion, Landorus, Latios (which sometime run Modest), an so on outspeed it. Seeing as Latias is a great check to many of these threats when it DOES outspeed them, and others can stop its sweep short, I'd say it does loose a lot with the loss of speed.

Personally, I'd probably use the standard sweeper spread of 252/252/4 Timid as opposed to the others, using it like a Starmie with better surviability and resistances, and power, unless you REALLY need the extra bulk. In my opinion, being able to outspeed those threats is just too valuable to pass up.
But then I may as well just use a Life Orb Latios. I think I'll stick with Modest since it gets some key KOs (on stuff like Scizor and Tyranitar) while retaining bulk. I also have plenty of stuff to check the above pokemon, scarf Terrakion for the win!

Arcticblast

Don't use Microsoft Word if you're making an RMT. It adds all sorts of ugly formatting tags once you C+P it here. If you're on Windows, use the Notepad. If other systems (Mac, Linux, etc.?) have it, use that. It types in plain text. If you don't have Notepad or anything similar, type it in a PM and send it to yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)