(Archive) Small Objective Changes Thread

Not sure if this is the correct thread, if not please let me know.

""Aura Sphere is an alternative for the last slot, as it allows you to hit Blissey extremely hard and also guarantees an OHKO on all variants of Tyranitar. However, using it requires a Rash nature, which lowers Raikou's Speed from 361 to 329. This isn't all bad, though; you lose the ability to Speed tie with Azelf and Starmie, and you are also outsped by Infernape and Gengar, but with Calm Mind, the only threat posed by these Pokemon are physical attacks from Azelf and Infernape. On top of that, the Rash nature guarantees some notable KOs, such as an OHKO on Celebi and Rotom-A with Shadow Ball. Hidden Power Ice is also an option, as it hits Dragonite and Gliscor and allows Raikou to threaten Flygon on the switch, but it also leaves Raikou completely walled by Swampert.
There's really no reason to get fancy with the EVs here. Simply maximizing Speed and Special Attack with the leftovers in HP suffices. A Timid nature allows Raikou to outspeed Gengar and Infernape, and also tie with Azelf and Starmie. However, when using Aura Sphere, a Rash nature is required, and the advantages and disadvantages of that were detailed in the above paragraph. ""
This comes from the analysis of Raikou's 4th gen Offensive Calm Mind set. However, Rash nature actually lowers special defense and not speed, meaning that much of the content in those 2 paragraphs is incorrect.

I'm not entirely sure whether this requires the set itself to be changed (seeing as lowering spdef is objectively much better than lowering Raikou's speed, meaning Aura Sphere is probably worthy at least of a slash in). Personally I'd just slash in Aura Sphere and talk briefly about pros and cons of lowering special defense etc.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Timid is usually the first nature listed for all Raikou sets, which gives it 361 speed. Rash doesn't boost speed, so it gives it 329.

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've read every Pokemon article that begins with the letter L. Here's what I found:

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/lanturn

-- In the Substitute + Charge Beam set, last paragraph, it says:

Altaria, Scyther, and Moltres all make decent partners, although Rhyperior will cause issues for everybody because Lanturn cannot switch into even Stone Edge.
I think that the bolded "even" is extraneous, but I'm not 100% sure about it. If it was "cannot switch into even *coverage move*", I'd be fine, but that's a STAB move that would usually be aimed at Lanturn if EQ wasn't super effective.

-- In the OU Substitute + Charge Beam set, last paragraph, it says:

You will find opportunities to switch Lanturn in against the majority of OU teams, whether it be into a bulky Water-types or into choiced Electric- or Steel-type attacks.
"Water-types" should not be plural.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/lapras

-- In the Special Attacker set, last sentence of the second paragraph, it says:

Toxic allows it to wear down walls such as Lanturn and Chansey; Perish Song allows Lapras to force switches when it is faced with an unfavorable match up; and Heal Bell allows it to support its teammates by removing crippling status.
The semicolons should be commas, since this is a list and not three independent clauses, as evidenced by the conjoining "and" at the beginning of the third part.

-- In the Mixed Dragon Dance set, after the damage calculations, it says:

Lanturn is one of Lapras's biggest problems thanks to its mammoth HP stat and ability to switch in on any Water-, Ice-, and Electric-type moves.
This may just be me being OCD, but there is no Water/Ice/Electric typed move, nor any move with more than one type, so this sentence makes more sense:

Lanturn is one of Lapras's biggest problems thanks to its mammoth HP stat and ability to switch in on any Water-, Ice-, or Electric-type move.
-- In the Curse set, third paragraph, it says:

Sleep Talk is helpful to ensure that Lapras isn't wasting the two turns of sleep, and instead use them as an opportunity to raise its stats further with Curse or attack with a boosted Avalanche.
"use" should be "is using".

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/latias

-- In the Dual Screens set, first paragraph, it says:

After set up, she can then sacrifice herself to pass this long-lasting protection to a much more dangerous threat...
"set up" should be either "setup" or "setting up".

-- In the same set, third paragraph, it says:

The loss of turns for Reflect and Light Screen are not overly detrimental either, since most Ubers do not require much time to set up and set up and sweep anyway.
The bolded text needs to be removed.

-- In the same set, last sentence of the third paragraph, it says:

The rest are placed in HP to give Latias the optimum amound of bulk.
"amound" should be "amount".

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/latios

-- In the Offensive Calm Mind set, last paragraph, it says:

Blissey wall Latios thanks to her huge HP and Special Defense stats...
"wall" should be "walls".

-- In the All Out Attacker set, last paragraph, it says:

Without Hidden Power Fire, Scizor can come in and 2HKO Latios with a Choice Band Bullet Punch or OHKO with U-turn while not being OHKOed in return by Thunder. (Scizor can't switch in on Thunder however, as it is 2HKOed.)
The statement in parenthesis ends this sentence incorrectly. This is how it should look:

Without Hidden Power Fire, Scizor can come in and 2HKO Latios with a Choice Band Bullet Punch or OHKO with U-turn while not being OHKOed in return by Thunder (Scizor can't switch in on Thunder however, as it is 2HKOed).
The same problem appears later in the same paragraph:

Lucario can also switch in on Tyranitar's Dark-type attacks, thanks to its 4x resistance, and drop it with one Close Combat. (Keep in mind that Lucario is pretty frail.)
This should look like:

Lucario can also switch in on Tyranitar's Dark-type attacks, thanks to its 4x resistance, and drop it with one Close Combat (keep in mind that Lucario is pretty frail).
-- In the Dual Screens + Memento set, third paragraph, it says:

With the added protection of Latios' screens and the attack-lowering effects of Memento, Mew can easily boost it stats with Rock Polish and Swords Dance/Nasty Plot, and then pass them to a deadly sweeper, such as Groudon or Dialga, turning them into nigh impossible-to-stop offensive juggernauts. Substitute users, such as Mewtwo and Giratina-O, who only need one turn to pose an enormous threat to your opponent.
The bolded sentence is a large fragment. I'm not sure what the author's intention with this sentence was, so I'm unsure of how to fix it. I shall leave that to a badged member more experienced in prose.

-- In the same set, last paragraph, it says:

Stealth Rock can be provided by Groudon (Who can also stop Scizor and Tyranitar that may want to Pursuit you.)
The statement in parenthesis ends the sentence incorrectly. This is how it should look:

Stealth Rock can be provided by Groudon (who can also stop Scizor and Tyranitar that may want to Pursuit you).
-- In the Dragon Dance set, third paragraph, it says:

Dropping Hidden power Fire also means that Latios does not have to lower his Speed IV.
"Hidden power" should be capitalized.

Defensive Dialga is a slight issue as well, as Latios cannot OHKO it with Dragon Pulse, despite that he can't be OHKOed back.
I think "although" sounds better over "despite that", but I'm not too sure that the latter is a mistake.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/lucario

-- In the Ubers Swords Dance set, after the damage calculations, it says:

If Giratina-O is a concern - usually due to choosing Adamant, using Crunch on the switch can also be acceptable.
The hyphen needs to be an emdash. Furthermore, the comma also needs to be an emdash.

-- In the Ubers Agility set, second paragraph, it says:

Latios is always OHKOed by Crunch after Stealth Rock damage, while most variants of Latias, Mewtwo, Wobbuffet, and Giratina-O are 2HKOed. (Very defensive Mewtwo, Bold 28 / 228 Wobbuffet, and defensive Giratina-o may survive.)
The statement in parenthesis ends the sentence incorrectly. Also, "Giratina-o" needs to have a capital "O". This is how it should look:

Latios is always OHKOed by Crunch after Stealth Rock damage, while most variants of Latias, Mewtwo, Wobbuffet, and Giratina-O are 2HKOed (very defensive Mewtwo, Bold 28 / 228 Wobbuffet, and defensive Giratina-O may survive).

In a similar manner, Giratina-O will always survive one Crunch and can weaken Lucario with Draco Meteor and Shadow Sneak oreven KO with Hidden Power Fire (in the sun) followed by Shadow Sneak.
There should be a space between the words "or" and "even".

A good way of knocking it into it into Lucario's KO range is to lure in Wobbuffet...
The bolded text needs to be removed.

Ho-Oh is almost impossible to counter; thus its best to simply team up Lucario with users of Stone Edge to deal with Ho-Oh.
"its" should be "it's".

-- In the Ubers Attack Lead set, first paragraph, it says:

While Payback may seem like a strange choice, its a very important move in this set because it allows Lucario to defeat Deoxys-S leads.
"its" should be "it's".

-- In the same set, second paragraph, it says:

Ice Punch is one of the best options - Shaymin-S will be unable to flinch you thanks to Inner Focus while Lucario can OHKO in response.
The hyphen should be an emdash, or simply replaced all together with the word "as" and a comma after "options".

Regardless of what moves you choose, lead Giratina-o will always defeat you since Ice Punch cannot 2HKO it (although they will deal a significant amount of damage).
"Giratina-o" should have a capital "O". In addition, "they" should be replaced with "it".

Latias makes a superb teammate for lead Lucario - it can take all of Shaymin-S's attacks...
There is no reason for the attempted emdash to be here. Making the two clauses into separate sentences is sufficient.

-- In the same set, same paragraph, it says:

Latias is also capable of switching into Rayquaza's and Giratina-O's Fire-type attacks and can OHKO both of them with Dragon Pulse (be warned - some lead Rayquaza have Focus Sash).
Another failed emdash that shouldn't be there. Replace it with "as" and a comma after "warned". Also, a "can" should be added where I bolded it.

-- In the same set, same paragraph, it says:

Tyranitar checks Giratina-o well and can Pursuit it if it tries to escape.
"Giratina-o" should have a capital "O".

-- In the same set, last sentence of the same paragraph, it says:

Levitate Bronzong can be a good partner due to its immunity to Shaymin-S's and Groudon's Ground-type attacks and can set up Stealth Rock.
I think this sentence sounds better in its place:

Levitate Bronzong can be a good partner due to its immunity to Shaymin-S's and Groudon's Ground-type attacks and its ability to set up Stealth Rock.
-- In the Other Options section for Ubers, last sentence of the first paragraph, it says:

A Reversal set may seem appealing as well with Substitute or Endure; priority attacks, however, ruins its effectiveness.
"ruins" should be "ruin".

-- In the last paragraph of the same section, it says:

...but it comes with the drawback that many light-weight Pokemon such as Jirachi and Manaphy will take piddling damage from it.
"light-weight" should be "lightweight".

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/ludicolo

-- In the OU Rain Dance Special Attacker set, last paragraph, it says:

As a bonus, it also resists Ludicolo's Flying- weakness and is immune to its Poison-type one, which may come in useful at times.
"Flying-" should be "Flying-type".

-- In the OU SubSeed set, first paragraph, it says:

Toxic is another option to add to the stalling of Substitute and Leech Seed; it can actually affects most Grass-types, unlike Leech Seed, which is a bonus.
"affects" should be "affect".

For Rain Dance supporters, Bronzong is one of the best as it's very reliable at setting up Rain Dance, and in the case of Dragonite; it can switch into Draco Meteor and Outrage, which this set won't like taking, and then set up Rain Dance.
The semicolon here after "Dragonite" should just be a regular comma.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/lugia

-- In the Wall set, fourth paragraph, it says:

This allows it to deal quick damage to both Groudon and Rayquaza, while being able to inflict status on Mewtwo and Darkrai that thinks that they can switch in believing that Lugia has Ice Beam and not Toxic.
"thinks" should be "think".

-- In the same set, fifth paragraph, it says:

With it, a Dragon Danced, Life Orbed Outrage from Jolly Rayquaza maxes out at 72%, allowing Lugia to survive and dealing a fatal blow with Ice Beam.
"dealing" should be "deal".

That's everything I've found.

Also this from the same guide: http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/uber_battling_adv#third

What good is an Ubers Baton Pass team without Mew? Mew nearly always provides a +2 in Special Attack and Speed to a recipient, as long as you can manage to get Reflect and Light Screen up. Lum Berry is there to act as a safeguard against status, as Taunt means nothing can phaze Mew. It is important to not get greedy with boosts, as it is easy to lose Mew that way, and 1 Nasty Plot and 1 Rock Polish will usually suffice. However, stall teams will usually have a much harder time dealing with this little pixie, so it is fine to go for multiple Nasty Plots while Rock Polish, as stall teams very rarely use fast Pokemon that can threaten Dialga, and Dialga needs 2 Nasty Plots to safely beat Blissey.
Something is missing here. Go for multiple Nasty Plots while forgoing Rock Polish? Or go for multiple Nasty Plots while Rock Polishing?

Baton Pass guide: http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/baton_pass_chains#whatbeats

Roar
One of the most common ways to attempt to stop a Baton Pass chain. However, it's harmless when yor Pokemon are rooted with Ingrain or have Mr. Mime waiting in the wings. If a Baton Pass team does not use Mr. Mime, and the Roarer is faster and strong enough to kill Smeargle, there's not much the Baton Pass team can do.

Common OU users: Gyarados, Hippowdon, Suicune, Swampert, Vaporeon, Zapdos
Common UU users: Altaria, Arcanine, Donphan, Blastoise, Lapras, Nidoqueen, Rhyperior, Steelix Torterra, Venusaur
Missing a comma.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Fixed the Baton Pass guide issue, but I don't know enough about Ubers. I'll let firecrap deal with those.

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Also this from the same guide: http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/uber_battling_adv#third

Something is missing here. Go for multiple Nasty Plots while forgoing Rock Polish? Or go for multiple Nasty Plots while Rock Polishing?
Advanced guide to Ubers: http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/uber_battling_adv#first

The checklist for the first team claims it has a special wall (Blissey) when there isn't a Blissey in the team. Neither does it have Groudon as a physical wall. I think this checklist was somehow duplicated from that for team #2.
Fixed the two. I'm pretty sure it is "while using Rock Polish". The Special Sweeper (its not Special Wall as you mention it) is actually Latias. The physical wall in this team is Kyogre (obviously).

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Damn..I should have read the complete description about Mew before fixing it. If you read the next paragraph it is painfully obvious that its actually "forgoing" Rock Polish. I'm really sorry about all this confusion.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've found what might be a grammatical error in the Scrafty analysis. I posted the fix in the thread, so I'll just link to it.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80717&page=4

I'm posting here because I've found a bunch of errors or suggestions that don't get noticed (probably because the analyses are finished) Problem is, I can't remember which ones they were, and I can't look up my posts because of my ICCB status. Ugh.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Gengar's BW analysis (http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/gengar)

Even sweepers that use two coverage moves find themselves in very tight situations; prime examples include Substitute Garchomp, Conkeldurr without Stone Edge, and Gliscor.
Offensive Dragon-types like Haxorus, Garchomp, and Salamence make excellent choices for partners thanks to Gengar's ability to draw in either Steel-types or bulky Water-types and weaken them with highly damaging attacks. Garchomp in particular
Heck, Skarmory's analysis doesn't talk about Garchomp, so I'm assuming no Garchomp mentions at all for any OU's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)