1. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules.
  2. Want real-time art feedback? Want to meet YILX FIRST PLACE ARTIST? Come chat with us in the studio's IRC channel! Log onto #smeargle on SynIRC, or click this link to visit us via mibbit!
  3. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  4. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Art for Articles

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Studio' started by macle, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrollFreak

TrollFreak (╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
    is a Contributor Alumnus

2. Danmire

Danmire I'm distracting you, you big turd blossom!
    is an Artist Alumnus

3. hichez

hichez

I'm confused can we still make art for these?
  4. Electrolyte

Electrolyte That's how a superhero learns to fly
    is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

I used this thread to build my team; time to return the favor. Can I reserve it?
  5. Furosuto

Furosuto

Hi, since I finished the OU offensive guide for 5th gen awhile back, I think I'll reserve the Priority Guide.

Just a question, when does the OP get updated with the artwork that is posted? If it didn't make it past judgement, do the artists get a VM or PM to tell them? Just a suggestion so that the artists don't have to wait in anticipation for their art to be showcased.
  6. macle

macle frog jesus died for your sins
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Little Cup Co-Leader

I send them a vm usually and ya you guys can take the articles.
  7. Electrolyte

Electrolyte That's how a superhero learns to fly
    is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

Art for Uber stall:
    [​IMG]
    Vox already had something but it's a pretty long article, having twonpictures wouldn't hurt

Would like to reserve this if it still needs pictures; I will ask BTzz
  8. Furosuto

Furosuto

9. Furosuto

Furosuto

10. Bummer

Bummer .etiuq ooT
    is an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Art Co-Leader

I have an idea for a threatlist image. Can I make a second for the OU tier, or is the NU article close to be finished?

I'd personally avoid text for images like this since the article itself will do the talking, while the image is merely there to show off a glimpse of the contests or emphasize one of its larger points.

Also, the orange part on Terrakion are rocks of some kind, and not patches, as can be seen here. I like the realistic touch though.
  11. macle

is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Little Cup Co-Leader

can you make the spikes look better. Possibly add a background.

my partners and i decided that we would like the patches changed to the rock things.

thats good.

go for it
  12. Eagle4

Eagle4

I would have a go at some of these articles, but I doubt my style is sufficient or appropriate for a Magazine.
  13. Danmire

is an Artist Alumnus

These aren't for articles on the Smog. These are for articles on-sight.
  14. raikou00

raikou00

15. Furosuto

Furosuto

Here.

Show Hide
    [​IMG]
  16. Bummer

Bummer .etiuq ooT
    is an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Art Co-Leader

This is real pretty, actually. The way Kyogre blends together with the text was well handled.

.....however, I believe the art for these articles are required to be original, which means you need to create the images from scratch. In that image, you've used official art of Kyogre and Kingdra, and while I'm no judge, I sincerely doubt we can use this.
  17. Danmire

is an Artist Alumnus

I think this also goes for text? I dunno, I don't think that there should be text in the art, when there already is a title.

But I agree with Bummer(on both the requirement and how the art is), it's really pretty.
  18. macle

Little Cup Co-Leader

Please use original art.

On the subject of text in your images, please try to avoid using it.
  19. sandshrewz

sandshrewz
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Hi Smeargles! :)

Sorry for the bump >.> Anyway, good news! Two articles (DPP Ubers Wallbreaking and BW LC Threatlist) are recently updated with their art pieces, with thanks to elcheeso and Fuosuto respectively :) Every art that has been approved and have their articles uploaded are now on-site! Many thanks to every artist who has participated in this, regardless of whether your work is uploaded and we appreciate it! ^_^

We hope to see more artwork flowing in too despite all the hive of activity Smeargles has been getting recently with new projects! Let's not forget about this too :) Thanks!! :D
  20. Bummer

Bummer .etiuq ooT
    Art Co-Leader

[​IMG]

for the OU threatlist

Their numbers are the generation they appeared and then their index number. But they could be changed if a better suggestion arises.
  21. sandshrewz

sandshrewz
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

22. Bummer

Bummer .etiuq ooT
    Art Co-Leader

What are the preferred dimensions again? I see that the image has been shrunk, and while it's still fine, there are other images that can be ruined by a size change, so it would be good to have some measurements available in the first post of this thread.
  23. sandshrewz

sandshrewz

Roughly something like 400x600 or 600x400. It's flexible though! It can be something like 450x500 or something as long as it doesn't affect the article / take up too much space :) I resized it 600x291 just now. :x I used Paint.NET as I don't have PhotoShop. If the image (not just referring to this one, but any of it that's on-site) decreased in quality or something, please let me know! I'll gladly upload another version and overwrite the exisiting one. Thanks! And thanks for bringing this up too Bummer. :)
  24. Bummer

Bummer .etiuq ooT
    Art Co-Leader

While not on the list, I saw that the Damage Formula article had no art, so I drew this:

[​IMG]

Naturally it's a WIP, but I wanted to get a green light before moving on with colors and lighting.
  25. raikou00

raikou00

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)