Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
NoGuard only works for pokes targetting Machamp, or that Machamp is targetting. So if you wanted a 100% accurate Sheer Cold, you'd want to put mimic on the Machamp.
Note, however, that anything obtained via the Mimic Glitch will be illegal, as are illegal moveset combos like Belly Drum + Aqua Jet Azumarill.

Note, however, that anything obtained via the Mimic Glitch will be illegal, as are illegal moveset combos like Belly Drum + Aqua Jet Azumarill.
I think he means using Mimic in battle. For example:

T1 Smeargle uses Dark Void, Machamp uses Dynamic Punch
T2 Smeargle uses Role Play, Machamp uses Dynamic Punch
T3 Smeargle uses Sheer Cold, Machamp uses Mimic
T4 and on Smeargle and Machamp both use Sheer Cold

List of Pokemon that can get Feint and Foresight (so Explosion can hit Ghosts):

Farfetch'd, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Hitmontop, Hariyama, Sableye, Medicham, Lucario, Yanmega, and Smeargle.

Of those, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Hitmontop, Hariyama, Sableye, Medicham, and Smeargle can learn Fake Out and Lucario and Smeargle can learn Follow Me. Sableye might actually be the best Fake Out user for this since it's immune to Explosion.

Edit: That Smeargle + Machamp combo seems like it could work, but fast things with Taunt and Lum Berry could screw it up.

drcossack

I think he means using Mimic in battle. For example:

T1 Smeargle uses Dark Void, Machamp uses Dynamic Punch
T2 Smeargle uses Role Play, Machamp uses Dynamic Punch
T3 Smeargle uses Sheer Cold, Machamp uses Mimic
T4 and on Smeargle and Machamp both use Sheer Cold
Oh. My bad. That may work, but it takes way too much time to set it up.

The fact that No Guard only works on Machamp->Opponent and Opponent->Machamp exchanges screws up the lead idea. Okay, I get it. I didn't know that. I guess that would be all kinds of retarded if that actually worked. Thanks for letting me know.

And whoever said "OHKO" Moves would piss people off: I suppose that would be the point XD. Me and my friends have been laughing it up on the idea of going with the jankiest, noob-sauce teams and see how far we get with them; if anywhere at all.

Someone also mentioned my sig; but my sig only applies to when I ask for battles here on Smogon. Of course, if I make a VGC Team and want to start testing it, I'll post to ignore the rules in my sig; including the Entry Hazard rule I like to have.

Oh well, I might find some conjuration of scrubs that may just so happen to work. If I can make a Gastrodon that can single-handedly take down DD-Rayquaza, then I can certainly find a way to eke out a victory or two for VGC.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NoGuard only works for pokes targetting Machamp, or that Machamp is targetting. So if you wanted a 100% accurate Sheer Cold, you'd want to put mimic on the Machamp.
Haha, I was actually looking at this yesterday. If it weren't for the fact I have another gimmick I want to use more, I'd probably try it!

Oh. My bad. That may work, but it takes way too much time to set it up.
That's only one setup he's proposing. There are others and some with less risk.

If a Gastrodon wins VGC, bricks with be shat.
Just because you said this, I'm going to do it! And I think I know just how to alter my Gastrodon build for VGC in order to try to pull it off! <_<

Of course, I would have to breed a whole new one, but whatever. I'm 950+ hours legit and don't intend on changing that. (That's kind of why I'm going for the legit shiny Eevees!)

In other News:

Smeargle @ Focus Sash - Jolly Nature
252 HP / 128 Def/ 128 SpDef
Trick room
Endeavor
Spore (Obviously change this to Dark Void for Doubles)
Transform

This Smeargle has done awesome for me in singles. Aside from the sleep move change, any insights on how it could do in doubles?

drcossack

Do you think that playing in PBR is a good way to train?
Yes and no. A lot of the time, you run into guys with 6 Darkrai, 6 Arceus, 6 Dialga, etc.

Though, at certain times, you will run into Japanese players. They range from terrible to "holy shit, that team was awesome" - you'd be better playing in the weekly tourneys - #smogonwifi does theirs on Sunday, and another site does theirs on Saturdays.

Yes and no. A lot of the time, you run into guys with 6 Darkrai, 6 Arceus, 6 Dialga, etc.

Though, at certain times, you will run into Japanese players. They range from terrible to "holy shit, that team was awesome" - you'd be better playing in the weekly tourneys - #smogonwifi does theirs on Sunday, and another site does theirs on Saturdays.
Thank you for the answer. Normally, I would play on #smogonwifi tourney but I usualy don't have time to play in weekend.

Do you know if there is similar tourney played during week or do you know when I have the most chance to play against Japanese players?

drcossack

Thank you for the answer. Normally, I would play on #smogonwifi tourney but I usualy don't have time to play in weekend.

Do you know if there is similar tourney played during week or do you know when I have the most chance to play against Japanese players?
Hmm, I'd say 10 EDT is about when they're really active.

Here's an interesting combination of moves to use turn 1:

Poke 1 uses Follow Me.
Poke 2 (Preferably something extremely fast) uses Safeguard.

Take THAT DV Smeargle!
Any thoughts, anyone?

Here's an interesting combination of moves to use turn 1:

Poke 1 uses Follow Me.
Poke 2 (Preferably something extremely fast) uses Safeguard.

Take THAT DV Smeargle!
Any thoughts, anyone?
You do realize that if the Smeargle goes first, Dark Void hits both pokes, so it voids Follow me, and Safeguard won't wake pokes up.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Does Hitmontop gain a Technician boost for Rock Slide since its power is dropped to 56 in double battles?
Doesn't. The multiplier isn't applied to BP, just overall damage.

Haha, I was actually looking at this yesterday. If it weren't for the fact I have another gimmick I want to use more, I'd probably try it!

That's only one setup he's proposing. There are others and some with less risk.
You could try Role Play\Sheer Cold Abomasnow + Machamp. Machamp will be free to use Protect while Abomasnow uses Role Play to get No Guard. Only downside is... it's Abomasnow and Machamp, against stuff that can outspeed them both and hit hard. Plus OHKO moves are arguably less effective than multi-hit moves or double targeting.

You do realize that if the Smeargle goes first, Dark Void hits both pokes, so it voids Follow me, and Safeguard won't wake pokes up.
If the Smeargle goes first!? The thing has 75 Base speed!
I like Showsni's suggestion of "Fake Out" on the Smeargle. But all it takes is a faster Pokemon to "Fake Out" my "Fake Out"er to cut me short.

Here's what I'm seeing.

1. Defensively trained support Togekiss Uses Follow Me.
2. Timid Max speed Alakazam Uses Safeguard

You would need a Jolly, Fully speed-trained, Scarfed Smeargle with a 31 IV in speed to MAYBE outspeed a Timid Fully Speed-trained Non-scarfed Alakazam also with 31 IVs in speed. I'm not savvy on precise-number calculations, though. If anyone can crunch the numbers to prove me wrong, by all means, please do. Because I'd rather find out I'm wrong now than to get to VGC and find out the hard way!

Also, thank you for pre-emptively answering my next question, which would have been: Would "Follow Me" prevent all attacks and effects from hitting your other pokemon, including feild attacks like "Surf" and "Discharge". I guess not.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You would need a Jolly, Fully speed-trained, Scarfed Smeargle with a 31 IV in speed to MAYBE outspeed a Timid Fully Speed-trained Non-scarfed Alakazam also with 31 IVs in speed
Looks like you just figured out "how does Smeargle go first?" Perhaps you should consider "is it likely that someone in the VGC will use it and screw over my whole team?"

(Hint: the answer is yes.)

Looks like you just figured out "how does Smeargle go first?" Perhaps you should consider "is it likely that someone in the VGC will use it and screw over my whole team?"

(Hint: the answer is yes.)
Looks like I'll be scarfing the Alakazam, then. O_o'

Or maybe use "Fake Out" on the OTHER pokemon instead of "Follow Me" seeing as the scrafed Alakazam I mentioned in my previous post would well outspeed the Smeargle for the "Safeguard", leaving "Dark Void" Null.

I think "Safeguard" is underrated, especially for a tournament like this.

Also, does Light Clay support "Safeguard", or just "Light Screen" and "Reflect"?

Do you think that playing in PBR is a good way to train?
I would imagine it would be a good way to get experience with your team, especially if you don't usually play with only 4 Pokemon.
Although Random WiFi doesn't enforce any rules, so you'll likely run into a few trainers using more than the two allowed restricted Pokemon.

Dialga (TR Lead) - Lum, Chople, or Shuca. From what I've seen on youtube... Chople seems to be the most common, followed by Lum. Just wondering if others' experience has been similar for TR Lead Dialga's berry? (Note: I'm not asking which one's better or anything ... I'm sure we all know what the benefits of each of those items are)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)