Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, this is just an interesting question that comes about because of a situation that occured on the Pokemon Online VGC server. It doesn't have to do with the server, just the situation. It could have happened anywhere.

So, we are playing doubles. I have two pokemon in range of being KO'd with probably one more attack. One of my pokemon has Destiny Bond. My opponent only has one pokemon left and knows blizzard. So, it's an end-game 2v1 in my favor.

In the last turn, one of my first guys goes first and uses Destiny Bond. Then his opponent uses Blizzard. The blizzard kills my Destiny Bond user first. Then, my opponent dies from the effects of Destiny Bond. However, after that, the last pokemon on the field is mine, but the blizzard attack follows through and kills him, too. The result, according to the match, is a tie.

Though the game says it was a tie, at VGC, who would have truly won?

The result of the game would actually be a victory for your opponent, because you caused all of the remaining pokemon to die by using Destiny Bond, thereby breaking the self-ko clause. The game ends when all of a player's pokemon have fainted at the END OF a turn, not in the middle of a multi-target attack.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
From the VGC 2010 Regional Tournament rules:
"If an attack knocks out both players’ last Pokémon, the player that used the attack loses the match. This includes the moves Explosion, Selfdestruct, Double-Edge, Volt Tackle, Flare Blitz, Take Down, Submission, Brave Bird, Wood Hammer, Head Smash, Struggle, Perish Song, and Destiny Bond. This also includes the Life Orb held item."

Destiny Bond did not KO both players' last Pokemon. It was the Blizzard that KO'd the last Pokemon. If you strictly follow the wording of the rule, Self-KO clause doesn't apply. I think this might be up to the judge to decide. Keep in mind that if you get a tie in the
Preliminary Rounds (the pre-Finalist Lounge matches), both players are given a loss. So either way the Destiny Bond user would lose. In the Elimination Rounds, sudden death is done instead if there's a tie.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
when does a VGC event ussualy end, like i ussually never stay after getting eliminated, so i was wondering what time it finishes. i am booking my flight ticket and the latest they have leaving phoenix is 8:05pm but i have to take into account getting there 1 hour early and the time to get there

Ninahaza

ahh dang now i gotta book a hotel 2, well plz anyone else throw in your estimated time of completion so i can do this thing and ty 4 your answer fire

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Both Seattle and SF ended around 6, though the winner has to stay longer to complete paperwork and interviews and whatnot.

On the VGC team information sheet, do you put the pokemon's level 50 stats on, or do you put the pokemon's current stats on?

Ninahaza

hmmm well if they both ended at 6pm and my flight is at 8pm back, then i could easly make that if i got a ride from somebody straight after the competition, idk the trafic situation but expedia said its like a 15 min drive from the convention center to the intenational airport

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
hmmm well if they both ended at 6pm and my flight is at 8pm back, then i could easly make that if i got a ride from somebody straight after the competition, idk the trafic situation but expedia said its like a 15 min drive from the convention center to the intenational airport
haha

then plan on 30 min

just to get there that is

With a Pokemon that has a Base 60 speed, is it worth investing full speed EV's and using a +Speed nature for VCG? Or should I bulk up my pokemon more, as it probably isn't going to be outrunning anything?

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
With a Pokemon that has a Base 60 speed, is it worth investing full speed EV's and using a +Speed nature for VCG? Or should I bulk up my pokemon more, as it probably isn't going to be outrunning anything?
Depends on the pokemon, but slow pokemon tend to be bulky, so you can probably maximize bulk(or at least aim for a certain benchmark).

What's the recommended nature for Choice Scarf Kyogre - Modest or Timid?

Also, was Duy's Kyogre using Hidden Power Flying? I know his HP was super-effective against an Abomasnow, and I heard a separate mention of HP Flying on Kyogre elsewhere. Is this something that's beginning to become fairly mainstream?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)