Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I see, it's just a smaller hassle to go in with the idea that if your opponent uses the same pokemon against you, your pokemon will be outrunned.

Normal Gem for any that run Explosion, which is by far the most common item I've seen. Some run type-resist berries too (Mainly Occa, rarely Shuca) but not as many as 2009 Metagross did.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
I've got a question regarding tournament legality of BW2 Moveset changes and items. BW2 is due out in early June and US Nationals are in early July. It's unknown if there will be a US release before the US Nationals. Will Pokemon that learn new moves from BW2 (like a Fake Out or Wide Guard tutor) be allowed at the US Nationals? A similar issue with unreleased items like the Custap Berry. Japanese only event Pokemon like Speed Boost Blaziken are currently allowed so it seems to me that BW2 changes will be legal as soon as the game comes out. However a month is a pretty short time frame to prepare things and it's not reasonable to expect people to inport a game to have access to the new moves. I believe the TCG has a policy that card that are too new aren't legal but I'm not too sure on this. I've tried the official contact form for this question but I've only gotten a generic "we can't talk about unreleased BW2 info" as a response so far.

I've got a question regarding tournament legality of BW2 Moveset changes and items. BW2 is due out in early June and US Nationals are in early July. It's unknown if there will be a US release before the US Nationals. Will Pokemon that learn new moves from BW2 (like a Fake Out or Wide Guard tutor) be allowed at the US Nationals? A similar issue with unreleased items like the Custap Berry. Japanese only event Pokemon like Speed Boost Blaziken are currently allowed so it seems to me that BW2 changes will be legal as soon as the game comes out. However a month is a pretty short time frame to prepare things and it's not reasonable to expect people to inport a game to have access to the new moves. I believe the TCG has a policy that card that are too new aren't legal but I'm not too sure on this. I've tried the official contact form for this question but I've only gotten a generic "we can't talk about unreleased BW2 info" as a response so far.

I think as long as it follows nintendo's own rules regarding moves, aka the stuff about the moves being obtained by legit means, then I am all for assuming tutor moves would be allowed. However only Japan may have a realease of the game by then so BW2 shouldn't be worried about in terms of VGC for this year.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think as long as it follows nintendo's own rules regarding moves, aka the stuff about the moves being obtained by legit means, then I am all for assuming tutor moves would be allowed. However only Japan may have a realease of the game by then so BW2 shouldn't be worried about in terms of VGC for this year.
And... what about when we face them in the Worlds? Not to mention the people who import the game. I'd say it's quite relevant to VGC for this year.

I can't decide between a Hail Team and a Sandstorm team, Hail gets a perfectly accurate 120 BP spread move which is super effective to Ground types , a large part of most sandstorm teams. And is Snow Cloak Arcticuno legal?

And... what about when we face them in the Worlds? Not to mention the people who import the game. I'd say it's quite relevant to VGC for this year.

Just realized game is released in June for Jap.... my bad, was surfing the Jap website and I came across the month...

Well if it's japanese only at that point they may be banned...but also there may be a slim chance that the U.S. gets it soon too considering the double announcement for Japan and America. If it's out in America the moves will most likely be allowed. I don't think Japan getting the move tutor moves would be that much of an advantage.

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Actually it could mean a lot with the introduction of new tutor moves depending on what they are. Also it would mean us here in the US can still get the moves from the games since people can import the games, so Japan would not be unique to having these new tutor moves.

It's gonna be interesting to see what moves they decide to give us, like with the DP -> Platinum transition we got Bullet Punch Scizor. So we may get some cool stuff with these new games, who knows.

Well we definetly have time between game release in Japan to get move tutor moves from Imports. Release date is June 2nd according to the Japanese pokemon websites

Probably cress. I mean, the japanese even use OHKO moves when they can just for cheap shots at cress. Stuff like sheer cold suicune and guillotine gliscor are actually popular enough to have a primary mention on their analyses.

Dealing with BW2, it all matters if the tutors and new move additions even add anything notable. If I can make it to Nationals, it's gonna be a pain having to develop new counters and figuring out who now can carry what in such a short time period.

My Question; What is the "Hardest to Kill" Pokemon in the VGC 12 Metagame? I know that phrase is a bit vague but still...
That question is a bit irrelevant, seeing as how each Pokemon has several good counters. It all depends on your team, as your team should be prepared for the most common threats like Zapdos, Garchomp, Hitmontop, etc.

For Rain teams, anything bulky that can take several hits from sweepers like Ludicolo and Kingdra are great counters. Thunder Wave Cresselia is incredibly annoying for Rain teams to deal with. Tyranitar gets rid of Rain and can take special attacks when under Sand easily, and is pretty bulky. Bulky Leech Seed Ludicolo can completely shut down a Rain team but isn't as good under a timed setting. Ferrothorn can wall as well but Toxicroak gives it a lot of problems. Metagross is also irritating to deal with, able to tank hits and attack for a lot of damage. Fight Gem Hitmontop can OHKO sweepers that don't have defensive investment and can FO turn 1 along with using Wide Guard.

Having played with a rain team for a very long time, I find that the first thing I look for when I see my opponent's team is whether they have a weather-inducing Pokemon, mainly Abomasnow and Tyranitar since Ninetales is easily taken care of. If they do, I have to switch up my leads rather then opening with the standard Politoed/Ludicolo. The next thing I look for is whether they have anything that can potentially use Thunder Wave to shut down my team, examples include Cresselia and Thundurus. Third is checking whether my opponent has Cresselia or not, because that Pokemon single-handedly gives me a ton of trouble due to it's bulk and support moves.

When using a Milotic, would it be a good idea to run Flame Orb on it? I know why you wouldn't use it in Standard because matches last longer, but in the faster format of the VGCs, I think abusing Marvel Scale would be a good idea.

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Scope Lens increases Critical Hit Ratio. I think you may be referring to Wide Lens, which is 10% of the original accuracy, 93.5% that should make muddy water, for each target.

Rain Abusing abilities include Dry Skin, Hydration, Swift Swim and Rain Dish, i might have missed a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)