Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The length of the event will depend mainly on how many rounds are played, which will depend on how many people show.

I'm planning to get there an hour early, and there's also links for pre-registration in each of the regional threads.

There's a usage statistics post here - it hasn't been updated in a while, but it should still be fairly accurate.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Are regionals ever longer or shorter than they are supposed to be? Because my dad wants to go golfing while I'm there, and the event SAYS 8:30 to 7:00 (counting signups).

If signups start at 8:30, what time do I need to be there at to assure spots for me and my two friends?

Where can I find a full VGC Threatlist?

AND

Is there anything that I really need to know?
They'll probably be over by 5PM or so. Just get there by registration time and you should be fine.

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Eventbrite is legit, I know plenty of players that have already used it to Pre-Reg for these events. It doesn't cost you anything, and saves you time waiting in queues, so why on earth wouldnt you?

I know it's a stupid question to ask, but can I please have a yes or no answer to this question. If I have a Pokemon with "Butt" it it's nickname is it inappropriate enough for me to get dqed? I would really appreciate it if I didn't get "don't risk it" or "why even bother", I would appreciate a yes or no answer.

I know it's a stupid question to ask, but can I please have a yes or no answer to this question. If I have a Pokemon with "Butt" it it's nickname is it inappropriate enough for me to get dqed? I would really appreciate it if I didn't get "don't risk it" or "why even bother", I would appreciate a yes or no answer.

We are not TPCi, We don't know, however I very much doubt that you will be allowed with one.

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
we aren't the ones who make the calls for TCPi, we're just saying don't risk it because it's always better to play it safe than sorry.

Dozz

If you are desperate for a definitive boolean response, I'm going to have to go with No. Purely because "Don't risk it" is closer to No than Yes. After some of the stories when this was bought up previously, it's probably wise to learn from them.

That being said, Biosci did sum it up perfectly.

If you are desperate for a definitive boolean response, I'm going to have to go with No. Purely because "Don't risk it" is closer to No than Yes. After some of the stories when this was bought up previously, it's probably wise to learn from them.

That being said, Biosci did sum it up perfectly.
Alright thanks Dozz and Biosci. Kid Kadabra doesn't think I'll get dqed for it, and it's really annoying me that he wont just give me another copy because he thinks I have nothing to worry about, I've been working for the past 6 months and I don't want to get dqed because of something stupid like this.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
are the eventbrite preorder tickets legit? http://www.eventbrite.com/event/302..._campaign=event_reminder&utm_term=event_title

What do I do with it? Give it to the guy who hands out passes?
Bring the print out so they'll know you have been pre-registered in their system so they don't need to enter your information.

I wouldn't ever trust online tickets, especially for a free event like this, personally.
That is a ridiculous stance to take.

Some questions:

I recently started over my game, do I need a new Pokemon.com account for my ID?

(Along with the above question) I'm guessing you don't need all of the gym badges for your Pokemon to listen to you at the VGCs, correct?

Can you listen to music while you are playing [at the VGCs]?

Can you pick up your DS while playing someone or will it mess up the connection (I prefer playing this way)?

thanks in advance

Some questions:

I recently started over my game, do I need a new Pokemon.com account for my ID?

(Along with the above question) I'm guessing you don't need all of the gym badges for your Pokemon to listen to you at the VGCs, correct?

Can you listen to music while you are playing [at the VGCs]?

Can you pick up your DS while playing someone or will it mess up the connection (I prefer playing this way)?

thanks in advance

1. No
2. No
3. No
4. Yes, you can

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
About the playing music while playing, over in the UK the last couple of years they've been pretty strict about it but I saw quite a few people doing it this year, I asked a staff member and he said it was alright. Hopefully it's the same for you guys.

About the playing music while playing, over in the UK the last couple of years they've been pretty strict about it but I saw quite a few people doing it this year, I asked a staff member and he said it was alright. Hopefully it's the same for you guys.

I don't know about that, but someone was asked to stop last year.

Dozz

The music thing has been really really inconsistently ruled on over the past year in my case. I've been allowed/not allowed/only allowed if my opponent says it's okay/my iPod is on a table. Basically, ask the judges and tournament organisers when you get there :)

Also, someone mentioned moving your DS around? I know it's more comfortable, but, if they're not flat facing each other on the table, it can stop the IR connection, so you're left on the "connecting...." prompt for ages. This obviously wastes time, and isn't good for either player. Keeping it down on the table stops accusations of stalling, breaking connections etc and is better.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
This might be stupid but, I have a bro that wants to play in Seniors but he doesn't have a game nor ds. Is it possible for me to lend him mine, and then I can use the same game when it comes time for masters?

I think this is the right place for what I want to post... Basically I just need some opinions on how to finish off my team. Without going into too much detail, I am tired of my team losing to the Hitmontop shuffle. It's a bulky team with sand support and I need to switch out my Mamoswine to something that is more of a hard counter to Hitmontop and plays well in Sandstorm. Having another 'mon able to help taking Conkeldurr down well wouldn't hurt either.

I've narrowed it down to straight-up Special Attacker Landorus or some version of Acrobat Gliscor, possibly with Hyper Cutter instead of Sand Veil. (That's another thing that's got me uncertain, it says Sand Veil Gliscor can OHKO Hitmontop 'most of the time' after an intimidate drop, but doesn't go into any further detail.)
Which of these two Pokemon should I choose? Is there a third, better option I've somehow overlooked?

In case it matters, the rest of my team are Tyranitar, Scizor, Ferrothorn, Nidoking(SpA), and Gastrodon.

Thanks for reading my question! I've been busting my butt to make a team I can feel confident in, and this is my final hurdle.

This might be stupid but, I have a bro that wants to play in Seniors but he doesn't have a game nor ds. Is it possible for me to lend him mine, and then I can use the same game when it comes time for masters?
No, you can't do that.
I'm not quite sure about DS, but definitely not game, when you play in an event, you get "registered" for the event, and when you unregister from the event. (at the end) you can't register again.

Here's an assortment of questions about the U.S. regionals this weekend.
1) Do you need to physically bring a POP ID, or do you just need to remember the number?
2) About how long does each round last? I know battles are 15 minutes, but what about the other factors?
3) I know it varies, but what's the average number of rounds for Masters? From what I've read from (mostly Senior) warstories, the norm seems to be 6-7, but I've read there are as low as 5 rounds.
4) If you bring along a pad to take notes, does it have to be completely blank? (e.g. No damage calcs/speed tiers written on it?) I assume it does, but I just wanted to make sure.
5) Do you have to keep your DS on in between rounds?
6) If you suspect an opponent's Pokemon is hacked, and it's found to be legit after a hack check, do both players just play the battle over again? Or does the player that initiated the hack check receive a penalty?

I think this is the right place for what I want to post... Basically I just need some opinions on how to finish off my team. Without going into too much detail, I am tired of my team losing to the Hitmontop shuffle. It's a bulky team with sand support and I need to switch out my Mamoswine to something that is more of a hard counter to Hitmontop and plays well in Sandstorm. Having another 'mon able to help taking Conkeldurr down well wouldn't hurt either.

I've narrowed it down to straight-up Special Attacker Landorus or some version of Acrobat Gliscor, possibly with Hyper Cutter instead of Sand Veil. (That's another thing that's got me uncertain, it says Sand Veil Gliscor can OHKO Hitmontop 'most of the time' after an intimidate drop, but doesn't go into any further detail.)
Which of these two Pokemon should I choose? Is there a third, better option I've somehow overlooked?

In case it matters, the rest of my team are Tyranitar, Scizor, Ferrothorn, Nidoking(SpA), and Gastrodon.

Thanks for reading my question! I've been busting my butt to make a team I can feel confident in, and this is my final hurdle.
Of the two, I'd go with Acrobat Gliscor, mostly because special Landorus feels gimmicky. After an Intimidate, Adamant max Atk Gliscor always OHKOs max HP Hitmontop with a Flying Gem Acrobatics, but never OHKOs max HP Top without a Gem. (Always be wary when reading damage calcs from the analyses.) That said, Acrobatics still does 74.5-90% without a Gem, and Top can't get past Gliscor, so I'd run Sand Veil on it.

Here's an assortment of questions about the U.S. regionals this weekend.
1) Do you need to physically bring a POP ID, or do you just need to remember the number?
2) About how long does each round last? I know battles are 15 minutes, but what about the other factors?
3) I know it varies, but what's the average number of rounds for Masters? From what I've read from (mostly Senior) warstories, the norm seems to be 6-7, but I've read there are as low as 5 rounds.
4) If you bring along a pad to take notes, does it have to be completely blank? (e.g. No damage calcs/speed tiers written on it?) I assume it does, but I just wanted to make sure.
5) Do you have to keep your DS on in between rounds?
6) If you suspect an opponent's Pokemon is hacked, and it's found to be legit after a hack check, do both players just play the battle over again? Or does the player that initiated the hack check receive a penalty?
1. No, just remember
2. 15 tops, about 5-7 normally
3. there all 7 this year
4. idk, probably
5. Yes
6. You say its illegit, you battle, they check it, if it's illegit you win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)