1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Ask an Uber Question, Get an Uber Answer (Read FAQs in First Post Before Asking)

Discussion in 'BW Ubers' started by Fireburn, Jun 25, 2011.

1. RotomPoison

RotomPoison

As for sets, my point was if someone does propose a set other people can say whatever they want so that no one cares about any analysis for any Pokemon, item, or ability. It really doesn't matter to anyone what's in the analysis because of all the bad sets being put in, again, Scarf Deoxys-S?

Why should I have to discuss a set with the same people who turn down everything they didn't think of first, there isn't much of a point in that is there?

I'm not saying people aren't allowed to like/dislike something, but look at any article anywhere on the site and it will act like that. I wasn't talking only about the OU subforum, try asking on Showdown, and you will probably get someone saying the tier is screwed up beyond repair, someone else saying it is the only tier, and someone who complains about how they can't use their Charizard there unless they do everything Smogon says. While technically this whole tier system is made up, have you looked at some of the discussion there, people are talking as if Nintendo cares about "tiers" and things like "Nintendo should weaken Stealth Rock because it screws up OU."

No one cares about OU though, especially not them
  2. iliekmudkipz123456789

iliekmudkipz123456789

Why can't you use the Genesect and Mewtwo from the extremespeed Genesect event on pokemon showdown? It's the one where Mewtwo gets Hurricane and Genesect gets blaze kick extremespeed and shift gear.
  3. SmashBrosBrawl

SmashBrosBrawl

Because its not implemented yet on pokemon showdown. Once it is it will be usable.
  4. iliekmudkipz123456789

iliekmudkipz123456789

Thanks for telling me :D
  5. Haruno

Haruno

You can use shift gear/espeed/blaze kick gene as long as it's shiny + hasty. It'll still say illegal but when you use it in an actual battle it will work
  6. iliekmudkipz123456789

iliekmudkipz123456789

K thanks :D
  7. Focus

Focus I'm waiting you...

Sorry if my question isn't exactly simple, but I'm a little confused about what's going to happen with testing Species Clause. The Intro to Ubers Testing thread said this:
    Since that was all sort of tentative, what exactly is going to happen? What kind of extra precautions are we talking about? Will there be something like a thread to discuss the effect of no Species Clause before we begin the test in earnest, or will there be something more involved than that? I'm just curious.
  8. Blue Jay

Blue Jay The notorious J Lube
    is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

I would imagine that different ways/degrees of testing the Species Clause would be considered. As much as I tend towards open-mindedness, I don't see a full removal of the Species Clause ever being worth testing. While currently it is possible to build teams that have some form of check to most if not all the prominent threats in the metagame, playing around those you struggle with, and still having some win condition and game plan yourself, removing the Species Clause ruins this completely. Most current teams, even very well-built ones, would struggle to survive 2 Ekillers. Never mind a team of 6 Ekiller variants (even if you pack Skarmory, one Ekiller variant can run overheat, another might be a CB Arceus that cripples its counter with Trick, etc). The metagame would dissolve into a luckfest of how well teams match up, with well-rounded teams being good against well-rounded teams, while teams of something like 6 Ekillers will crumble to teams designed to beat Ekiller while still being able to do something to other teams.

Really, the only way I could see this working out in a way that doesn't ruin the metagame is maybe reducing the Species Clause limitation to 2 Pokemon (although even that feels like too much; some Pokemon are simply too strong when supported by the rest of the team). Alternatively, it could be considered to change the Species Clause so that it allows an alternate forme to be used on the same team (Deoxys-A+Deoxys-S, Kyurem-B+Kyurem-W, Arceus-Steel+Arceus-Ghost, etc). This could be fun and might increase the usage of some underappreciated Arceus formes or something similar, without overhwelming a team simply because it didn't happen to pack several counters to a certain Pokemon.
  9. Furai

Furai wellfare
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Scarf Deoxys-S is incredible. You outspeed everything up to +2 Groudon with standard EVs, meaning you can swiftly cripple it with a Choice Scarf which ends it. If you Trick the right Pokemon, as it is INCREDIBLY unpredictable, you can buy yourself free turns to setup Spikes or a setup Pokemon. I am updating Deoxys-S's analysis atm and the set is still in. It's probably not as good as the standard one in laying down multiple hazards, but Scarf Deoxys-S definitely has its niche.

A council meeting is going to be set and we will be discussing the effect of removal of Species Clause of the meta. We will look into aspects of competitiveness mainly. So you pretty much got it right, though there will not be a thread, there will be an IRC council meeting instead. We will let you guys know so you could come view or possibly participate in discussion.
    Focus likes this.
  10. MagikaripIsOP

MagikaripIsOP

Hey im new to uber and can you guys help me improve my team? It's cm arceus-ghost, focus sash deoxys-s, scarf kyogre, life orb kabutops, physically scarf genesect, and soul dew latias.
  11. Hack He Must

Hack He Must
    is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Two scarfers are not necessary, it lowers the team's strength vs rain stall, a team archetype rain offense has mild trouble with already. Try some other set on your Kyogre (specs, spec d, physically defensive, t-wave all have their merits). I'd go with specs personally. Looks pretty standard otherwise, and it will do good. Good luck!
  12. Astral Spirit

Astral Spirit

While looking through the sections for each tier, I noticed that every tier besides Ubers has a "Nest Best Thing" thread. I was wondering why, because I tend to enjoy those threads and it's a bit sad to see that Ubers is lacking one.
  13. Faint

Faint Valar morghulis
    is a Pre-Contributor

We've tried similar things in the past, but at the end of the day those threads are basically just picking a good mon with a somewhat gimmicky set. I consider it the same as the "Creative Movesets Thread" which was active not to long ago, and spawned sets such as CM + Water Gem + Water Spout Kyogre. We discuss interesting and creative movesets on somewhat niche mons quite often on #ubers.
  14. SmashBrosBrawl

SmashBrosBrawl

Just wondering, but is there any reason dragon pulse is never recommended as an alternative to spacial rend on palkia? I know it has a bit better power and high critical hit rate but missing a spacial rend when trying to revenge kill dragon dance rayquaza and such can really cost a game.
  15. Melee Mewtwo

Melee Mewtwo lol, nice
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Actually it's a 10% drop in power so it's not something to completely ignore. I know I calc'd it at some point and, if iirc, Rend gets you the 2HKO on 252 Arceus.

Edit: I looked at the calcs again and you miss out on 2HKOs for SpDef Latias, Tina-A, and 252 Groudon while missing a OHKO on CB Zekrom, Mixed Tina-O and the 73% min to Thundy. (Along with the 6% extra crit percentage and the general power buff) Keep in mind though the Palkia analysis is REALLY outdated so there's not much point in nitpicking it.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
    Furai likes this.
  16. ninetimesnine

ninetimesnine

which ubers is stronger: Arceus or Mewtwo?
  17. TGMD

TGMD +Biosci: you both gave me crabs
    is a Tutoris a Battle Server Moderatoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    Tournament Winner

Neither. They're 2 completely different Pokemon on so many different levels, and they're both very good in Ubers. But Mewtwo's base Special Attack of 154 is higher than Arceus' 120, so Mewtwo is "stronger."
  18. Brammi

Brammi

What are stall's options against SubBoosting Latis?
  19. blitzlefan

blitzlefan I remember it all too well...
    is a Pre-Contributor

Hmmm... I think phazers are your best bet, obviously combined with a little hazard support. Lugia can tank an attack and phaze it out with Whirlwind (or stall it out with Toxic if you get the chance). Ho-oh can phaze it out too and can take hits well with its massive special defense (though it should be wary of Psyshock). It also hits really hard on the physical side, where Latias is pretty frail. Arceus-Steel should fare decently as well, being faster and resisting commonly used moves, and phazing it out with Roar. Ferrothorn can wall Latias without HP Fire, though will become setup bait if Latias isn't badly poisoned beforehand. Lastly, just revenge kill it. A lot of Choice Scarf users can take down Latias without a Subsitute up (e.g. Genesect, Zekrom, etc.)
  20. RaXes

RaXes

Skarm or Lugia with Whirlwind, Perish Song/Roar Arceus or just try to take it down with Ferro's Gyroball.
    Genesect works well too and can cover a lot of threats to stall teams.
  21. gookie

gookie Adominnustrata
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

sublati that don't invest in bulk are completely owned by body slam jirachi.
  22. ninetimesnine

ninetimesnine

will mega evolutions be banned in ubers?
  23. Mr_Bramboy

Mr_Bramboy

There's not much information known about them yet, so we can't tell. Mega-Mewtwo might get banned because of its insanely high SpA, but these are only speculations.
  24. gookie

gookie Adominnustrata
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

as a principle, pokemon are not banned from ubers.
  25. Furai

Furai wellfare
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

From what we know right now, no. Unless a mega-evo will have insane stats and +6 auto evasion we won't ban anything, lol.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)