1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Ask an Uber Question, Get an Uber Answer (Read FAQs in First Post Before Asking)

Discussion in 'BW Ubers' started by Fireburn, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Haruno

Haruno Sprouts > Kale
    is a Tiering Contributor

I agree, though sadly with the ubers subforum seeing awful activity as of late I wouldn't really advise it. Sableye/mandibuzz was a fun research though
  2. rileydelete

rileydelete

Yeah, I agree that there's been quite a bit of inactivity lately. That makes me think of another question:

What happened to the Ubers Potato Award?

Have we seriously removed the place where we can show off great posters/contributors? I'm no Ubers genius, and I know my posts pale in comparison to others, but still, there should be another recipient or something. Maybe someone in the viability thread could get it. There's many, many awesome posts in that thread, and the posters should get some recognition.

Honestly, I'm slightly afraid to post questions like this. When I post things in this sub forum, I always expect to be hit with statements similar to "No, bad idea.", or "You don't know what you're talking about".

I just want the Ubers community to improve. :(
  3. Go10

Go10 Storm Vanguard !

Salamence already proved to be a really good late game cleaner with the scarf and moxie, don't try to do anything else with him since Ray'll do better. The double dragon DPP style could've worked if not for Genesect and Arceus.
    Hack likes this.
  4. pokeperson12

pokeperson12

Salamence is beast dragon dance +moxie =badass
    PROBLEMS and Faint like this.
  5. Haruno

Haruno Sprouts > Kale
    is a Tiering Contributor

What does dark pulse hit harder than foul play with LO darkrai?
  6. Melee Mewtwo

Melee Mewtwo lol, nice
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

7. Kebabe

Kebabe
    is a Tiering Contributor

Why does Victrieebel have a analysis?
    Hack likes this.
  8. Melee Mewtwo

Melee Mewtwo lol, nice
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

It's an alternative Venusaur. For a little less damage on Grass Knot (you miss hte sure 2HKO on Arc formes but still keep it at like 80%) you get a stronger Fire move for the likes of Jirachi and Dialga (2HKOs offensive variants) as well as a free Hidden Power to use as Rock or something. (cause fuck Ho-Oh) It's as bad as Venusaur but just as viable.
  9. Furai

Furai wellfare
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

I don't see why you /need/ a research week to get out and test these Pokemon. While I do understand it grants much more motivation and more recognition, what stops you from getting out there and testing Toxicroak? I do keep a list of RW options in the ubers mods channel and in fact, Toxicroak is there. I ran the calc once; +2 Toxicroak w/ LO OHKOs Groudon after 3 Spikes + SR w/ Low Kick. That's pretty strong actually. I think it's a bit too late into BW2 for RWs to be done. We pretty much know the metagame already. However there are discovers everywhere and everytime. Take for example Melee's Umbreon. Have no fear and go test, don't be scared to come back with results!

Same case. It's just too much of a hassle to get out and look for good posts. If someone is worthy of the badge, he will be persistent and keep good quality -- the Ubers team and I do our best finding these people.
  10. rileydelete

rileydelete

I agree, Furai. It does seem too late for another research week. I just wouldn't mind one final Ubers project; something like a "last hurrah" to bring together the Ubers community before the fifth generation of Pokemon comes to a close.

This is relieving. I'm sad the potato award can't happening any more, but I'm glad that members like you actively go out and find great posts and posters. Thanks a lot, Furai, for your hard work behind the scenes, and thanks for your response! :)
  11. ErzaVsErza

ErzaVsErza

Why isn't Jirachi a Uber ? o:
  12. Furai

Furai wellfare
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

It's place in OU has nothing to do with Ubers. If OU thinks it is broken, it will be voted upon and might get banned, but that will not affect Jirachi's roles in Ubers.
  13. Talpr0ne

Talpr0ne

Ok guys, explain this to me.
    Does Download boost the stats of Genesect in cases like this?
  14. rileydelete

rileydelete

Genesect's download will boost whatever stat will be stronger against "another thing". It's a one time (one per switch-in) boost on the first Pokemon Genesect sees.

I hope this clears things up :)
  15. Flaming Facepalm

Flaming Facepalm

How should Genesect be used in battle, and in what situations are it best in?
  16. Kebabe

Kebabe
    is a Tiering Contributor

No, download does not activate if there isnt a pokemon on the opposite side of the field when you switch in (U-turn/volt switch KO is the most common case of this). It works the same way with intimidate if I remember correctly.
  17. rileydelete

rileydelete

Genesect is, in my own opinion, the best U-turning Pokemon in the entire game, and arguably the best Choice Scarf user. U-turn is an amazing tool that lets a player dent, or even KO something like, say, Latios, and then give you what amounts to a free switch. Denting something like Kyoge is extremely important in that it gives your team free momentum.

Picture the following situation:

It is turn one, and you decide to use a Physically based, Choice Scarf Genesect while your opponent sends in a Kyogre. In addition to Genesect, you have a Lustrous Orb Palkia on your team. Now you can simply switch to Palkia to deal with Kyogre but why just switch when you can use U-turn? Needless to say, you use U-turn, hit Kyogre on it's weaker physical side, and make it lose 50% of health. Kyogre then fires off a Surf right into your Palkia. Palkia takes minimal damage. The turn ends.

It's now turn two, and it's Palkia vs Kyogre. You know that Palkia will outspeed all non Scarf Kyogres. That means your opponent is ether going to switch, something that allows you to predict, or your opponent leaves Kyogre in and you kill it with Thunder.

Genesect has already given you a tactical advantage and it's less than four turns into the match. With it's powerful STAB U-turn, Genesect has helped you gain one heck of an early game advantage. In fairness, the Kyogre set could have something like Thunder Wave, which lets it mess with Palkia, but overall, you've dealt a lot of damage to the beast, and probably a KO/ high damage if Kyogre switches out.

Now this is not Genesect's only skill; with it's 99 base speed, Scarf Genesect is a fantastic revenge killer. With U-turn, it can KO many Psychic and Dark Pokemon, with Iron Head, it can smash the Kyurem Forms, with Ice Beam, it can murder Shaymin-S and, Rayquaza (even after a dragon dance), with Flamethrower it can melt Forretress, Ferrothorn, and more. It also has Explosion to literally go out with a bang, something that destroys things like Ho-Oh. Finally, it has Thunder/Thunderbolt in case of other Pokemon. Genesect's Download boost can potentially give all of the above options even more power. Genesect is a very powerful killing machine. With a scarf, it can kill and revenge kill many things throughout a match.

Overall, Scarf Genesect is great for momentum, and great for revenge kills. It can clean, scout early game, and more.

P.S. You can also use Shift Gear for a sweeping set, but I never see it. It's kind of bad. Extremespeed and Blaze Kick can be used too if you wish.

I hope this helps :)
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  18. Melee Mewtwo

Melee Mewtwo lol, nice

It's not quite this. If you come in via U-Turn/Volt Switch KO then you don't get a boost but if you bring it in after a double KO you get a special attack boost. (I'm not even sure if it's this. I just remember getting special attack boosts a lot when there was nothing on the other side. Ugh, Download is so complicated.)
  19. Kebabe

Kebabe
    is a Tiering Contributor

Yeah you get the boost when you both send out during the same command turn, turn 1 for example. Basically you dont get a boost when Genesect is out and the opponent still have to decide what to send out.
    Melee Mewtwo likes this.
  20. cjrocker

cjrocker

Did I miss this or was the idea just abandoned? Seems kind of late to do any further testing.
  21. KJJBA

KJJBA

I know that outrage can last between 2 and 3 turns but what is the probability of it only lasting 2 instead of the full 3?
  22. kidbuu543

kidbuu543

Can someone give me the best set for rayquaza to use ?
  23. Flaming Facepalm

Flaming Facepalm

Rayquaza is known for being able to use many different styles of offense to its advantage. You need to be more specific when asking such questions.

Do you want a Dragon Dance set? A Swords Dance set? A mixed set?
  24. kidbuu543

kidbuu543

The best set because I heard from multiple people saying SD > DD on ray Idk which is true
  25. rileydelete

rileydelete

I did some research and it seems the probability is completely randomized. There's no percentage or anything similar.

There's not really a set that one can consider "best", but many people advocate that the Swords Dance set is extremely viable. It gets a powerful priority in the form of Extremespeed. After a boost, Ray can be hard to stop.

If there's anything else I can do for you guys, let me know :)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)