CAP 14 CAP 3 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody.

After seeing the typing, I somehow went to themes which ultimately ended up in toxic desert and flame swamps. This shrunk into tar pits then the idea of what could get caught there.

Enjoy a tar phoenix.

Here's the full color version and hyperlinks to some complimentary art. Please note the three different tongue colors, which looks the best?
Full Color
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o626/JakeOfJohto/KOMODO.jpg
Supplimentary DD and Swimming
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o626/JakeOfJohto/supplimentrydrawingsDDswimming-1.jpg
Supplementary Side View
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o626/JakeOfJohto/supplimentarysketch.jpg
Without Tongue and Acid
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o626/JakeOfJohto/KOMODOO.jpg

This is epic looking (you have my vote when it becomes time for it.) and I think the blue tongue looks best imo followed by the yellow.

I dunno why, but I saw the typing and just kinda thought "jester":

Oh yeah, also, here's a five-minute doodle of Furosuto's pretty awesome armoured scorpion concept on the last page:

Hey Furosuto, if you see this, wanna consider doing a joint submission? I'm kinda itching to tidy this sketch up. :D

I was told that my submission was not poison type enough so i made this dung beatle:

any ideas on how to make it look more poison type would be welkome

Chomz I am going to assume that you've presented us with a selection of bodies to choose from, in which case I say: The LEFT one man! The Leeeeft!

Updated design:

Underwater Volcano Giant Tube Worm Mon

Edits:
- Polished the artwork, as paintseagull suggested.
- The head is redesigned, and simplified to resemble a volcano, as Cartoons! and Quanyails suggested.
- Made the mon look less suggestive, as Yilx suggested.
- Took the out the unnecessary lava coming out of its arms, as Cartoons! suggested.
- Smoke is redesigned to qualify for the Art Polls, as Quanyails suggested.

Which color scheme suits it best? :U

Comments on others:
@paintseagull: Pretty cool reptile design, but I wouldn't stop there just yet. Adding a little more "features" to your lizard will help differentiate and improve your design from other reptile concepts.
@Yilx: The sun mon reminds me of Gali from Monster Rancher, and kind of has the same body type as your Necturna. I'm a big fan of your lava golem though!
@Fatecrashers: I prefer the anemone more than the Bowser looking lizard. Nonetheless, they're both neat designs.
@Quanyails: Very simple, and neat design. You can sketch well with a pencil too!

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
Hey those tubeworm designs turned out really good - great improvement especially in the composition; love the idea anyway.

I would stay with the left colors, since it resembles the pale colors of the worms (and green looks so unnatural >_< but i guess nothing down there does)

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
So I colored my lionfish.

I decided against any manner of mane or feline face because it doesn't need to be a lion pun—it just needs to be very clear that the creature is venomous, which the spines and bright coloration facilitate. I picture the open flames as being a manner of exhaust, instead of being some vital part of his physiology. Underwater, his whiskers would be made of boiling water and steam bubbles instead!

I figured I'd try another dark-body light-stripe combo first. The second one is supposed feel extremely acidic, which is another route to take with the idea of "burning toxins." The last is an attempt to invert the color scheme, so as to have a light body and dark stripes.

Commenting on my top 5, no particular order:

Mos Quitoxe: I would expect to get your design upon using a Fire Stone on Shuckle--very cute, as others have said! I like to creative use of the Lava Lamp as well.

KoA: I like the derp-frog-slug. I'm liking the addition of blue on the lips and eyes.

aragornbird: I like the lizard, but I love the chimera. I was initially afraid the "head-on-tail" thing had been used too often in Pokemon, but I think it makes your design much better.

Fatecrashers: I prefer the reptile. Hard to put my finger on why I like it so much, but I get a definite "Pokemon vibe" from it.

Yilx: I like both the Evil Sun God and Golem, and I especially appreciate all the supporting material. They remind me of Monster Rancher characters--Gali and, well, Golem--but I don't now if that was part of your inspiration. Nice use of purple slime without it feeling too much like Grimer/Muk.

-----​
Calad: I'd like to see more of yours. It could definitely be one of my favorites, but I need to see it upright! :P

I really like your gila monster and camel, Aragornbird. The only issue I have with the camel is that it doesn't really come off as a fire type. Maybe try adding some warm colors and/or changing the bubbles above the hump to smoke?

Asylum_Rhapsody

Lantern Jellyfish
I think that this idea is really cute, and I'd love to see it cleaned up. I think particularly the tentacles could use some work to look more... "realistic" for lack of a better word? Try making them thinner?

Waste Humanoid
I like the idea, but there are a few things that make it not quite click for me.
The major one is that the gas mask doesn't look... gas-mask-y enough? Like, because of the way that the eyes are done, I didn't get that it was a gas mask until you said so. I like the gas mask idea, and I think that you should roll with it, but I think doing that is going to require changing the eyes. Make them more round, reflective, don't put in pupils. In other words, make it look like it's actually wearing a gas mask. Right now the eyes look happy, which I think looks out of place on this concept.

I have no idea where you're going with this, but the one on the right looks adorable enough to intrigue me.

I like the anemone, but I'm not really clear on how the head connects to the body. Maybe if you showed it to us in a couple of different poses?

And now I have something too. My radiation angel doesn't seem to have picked up much traction, and I'm still deciding how or even if I should fix it, but in the mean time, I had another possible concept idea. While looking for possible poisonous animals to base a concept on, I found this toxic cuttlefish that looks like it's on fire. I mentioned it a couple of times to some people, but nobody really seemed to want to run with it, so I thought I'd try my hand at it because it fits with the vaguely aquatic-relevant theme we seem to have going on here.

The places that I shaded will be black with the rest being either red or orange. I thought that it might be cute to go with a villainous look, so I made two of the tentacles into a devious mustache, the decorative ridges into horn-like protrusions, and its fin flaps into a chain, appearing to connect to the black circle around its left eye to form a monocle.

Okay, so I decided to scrap the whole frog thing, and started thinking.

Luckily for me, my little sister was watching a movie last night, she was watching Snow White so the poisonous apple popped into my head.

We also have an apple shaped candle in my living room so this happened...

I know it sort of looks grass type instead of poison, but it definitely looks better than my last frog!

Comments, criticisms greatly appreciated!

Updated design:
Underwater Volcano Giant Tube Worm Mon
Yours is one of my favourite ideas, but I think that the fingers look more suggestive now. Personally i think it would be cool if the fingers had those hammer shaped things that are on his head as fingertips.

I'm just going to comment on the ones that really caught my eye.

SubwayJ: Ahahahahaha that apple looks so smug.
Asylum_Rhapsody: I like his moustache, but he looks too much like the real thing for my tastes. Since he's based on the Flamboyant Cuttlefish maybe you could give him a little top hat and cane? (I'm a sucker for "wacky" pokemon though)
Fatecrashers: I love the anemone, he looks like he'd belong as a Chrono Trigger mini-boss. Your stuff looks extremely indebted to Akira Toriyama's style.
Chomz: Don't listen to him! The right! The riiiight!
LightlyLights: A phoenix stuck in tar is an awesome idea and really creative, I want to see what you do with it.
Sentret: He looks like a neopet! I think he'dl ook better with a different pose, as it is right not his gas mask isn't obvious enough.
Doran: I'm really sorry but your chimaera looks like he's got Bjorn Ulvaeus' hair.
Quanyalis: I'm really impressed with yours. The first picture you showed didn't look super impressive but now it's a really clever idea and one of my favourites.
KoA: I love that slug frog. Ther's absolutely nothing I can suggest for it.
RockPaperScizor: I laughed out loud at yours. He looks like he ate way too many "doughnuts" or something. He reminds me of a 3-stage pseudolegendary in the current state.
Yilx: I don't think that the two elements of fire and poison mesh as well as they should (why would the sun god be made out of toxic sludge???) but I love how excited he looks to be torching a ferrothorn. However, he looks waaayy too similar to Gali.
Collol: A vaporizer frog is easily the most creative entry I've seen so far. He's adorable.
Birkal: Another one of my favourites, I think that the bamboo should be either on fire or obviously dipped in poison in the final art to demonstrate that it's a fire/poison type.
KenZomg: Have you thuoght about making him into a composite pokemon since he's a tube worm? It would really differentiate him from the other snakelike pokemon if there aer a bunch of them attached to a rock throwing sludge bombs at unsuspecting Conkeldurrs.
ElementalPenguin: Great, reminds me of what Dragonite should've been, cute but badass. Why's there a spiral on his stomach? If you want to differentiate him from Cyclohm/Hydreigon, you should give him two main heads, put heads on his arms, and turn his tail into a head as well. Considerably more hydra-like (and creepier, if you like that sort of thing).

Ultimately, my favourite is still mos-quixote's. If he doesn't win I'll be suprised/disappointed, but any of these would be pretty great to see.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Oh look I'm late again

Very quick and very poorly done concept:

Tried to do a ninja lizard based on Koga, the Fuma Kotaro design from Pokemon Conquest, and Demise from Skyward Sword all rolled into one. And yes, it was originally black, but then it just looked like a demented Quilava.

Well, it looked much better in my initial sketches anyway, and I haven't used digital art software for yonks [/excuses]

Thoughts are appreciated. Don't bother commenting on the artwork quality, as I have no intention of using this for my final submission.

EDIT: verbatim's verdict for posterity: "the deranged lovechild of a pokerus riddled rattata and a quilava"

meddle

boomer user
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A cleaner cauldronmon:

Still having trouble getting the eyes right. Otherwise, CC appreciated!

------------------------------------------------------

thornchild: This idea has tons of potential, I think, especially with the competitive aspect (handling water types) considered! Would love to see it colored and expanded upon.

Azul: I like this latest iteration on your design. Less... phallic, as others have said. Definitely go with the lavender coloring. The others have potential for shiny colorations.

KoA: Nice changes. Does his belly fill up with bile/poison? If so, it's a bit hard to see. For me it would be a selling point on the design if you could give that area a bit more clarity.

Yilx: The quality of your designs is quite good, as usual! But while I like the sun god design as a whole it does feel a bit more like something from out of Monster Rancher than a Pokemon. The poison part of the design also feels a bit forced to me and unrelated to the overall concept. Maybe some supporting materials (just background info, not attacking poses, which you already have) would help tie it all in?

aragornbird: The Pokemon franchise already has a fire camel (but I guess you could say that it has a lot of poison bugs as well... in addition to other pairings... but I digress), so I might go with the Chimera (then again, the thread has a lot of them now). I really like the coloring you chose for him, at any rate.

Fatecrashers: I, too, prefer the anemone, if only because it's just different (the thread has tons of reptiles already, and it seems a bit overdone at this point). The reptile also strongly evokes a Koopa for me, as someone else mentioned. I'd like to see the anemone in a different pose, maybe with some supporting material.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Meddle, SOOOOO much better on the cauldron now.

Comments though: Consider making the poison-thing a little less corporeal. A little more amorphous and less recognizably human-ish would be better in my opinion. Either do that, or make the cauldron less alive-looking. This is because I can't think of a single example of a Pokemon that looks like a conglomeration of two separate parts. Yeah, there's stuff like Dugtrio/Exeggcute type stuff, but that's different. That's multiples of the same thing. It appears too much as if this design has 4 eyes: the cauldron's two and the poison-thing's two.

I think the best decision design-wise to fix that would be to make the cauldron's eyes appear fake in some way. Maybe the oven-mouth too. Right now it looks like it has two sets of eyes and arms (if you count the cauldron handle things), and also two mouths. Some duplication is ok, to be sure. But at some point there should be a convergence so that it's clear that this is ONE being.

I think it'd be really cool if the real eyes and mouth were on the poison thing, but it could use the cauldron handles as arms.

ALSO: OMG LOUISCYPHRE! Now that looks like a bad ass mofo that no water-type is gonna wanna mess with underwater. Applause for sure. So glad you took the flaming-lionfish route.

Tar phoenix.
Picking this up because I think it deserves more attention. I think this could look impressive if coloured with more flame and tar! Get dramatic with it.

So far I am loving meddle's design, I agree with skr1214. It looks like two different entities between the toxic slime and the cauldron. If this is your aim then go for it, personally I would like to see either or.

Koa The colouring is really getting there! Could use a few more positions though to see how it functions.

Birkal I would really love to this further developed. How does it flamethrower?

Mos-Quitoxe I really like how cute it is. I like the simple look of it as it is. The colour is excellent. More dynamic initial design maybe?

Yilx Dramatic and wonderful design! I would love to see more of the golem.

Cartoons My favourite so far! Really interesting design.

SoIheardyoulikeSENTRET Creative, and awesome! If this becomes developed more I can see it looking great.

Hey, I'll go forward and repost because it is now in proper format and I would like some feedback before I start drawing everything on a tablet (this is a scan).

LUROPTER, THE CURSED POKÉMON

Yes, it's a flightless bat.

History: Long ago, when Luropter were only a young pokémon species, it flew over desertic areas, its acute senses allowing it to prey at night, and its thick fur to support sandstorms. However, as it mutated to develop a strong toxin to better deal with bigger preys and predators, the poison reacted with the fire in its blood to form a highly corrosive substance. Luropter's body was not able to support the chemical reaction, and the fur on its chest burned down to reveal a charred, sensitive skin. Moreover, the thin membrane of its skin was slowly bitten away by the poison, forcing Luropter to the ground.

Cursed by its own typing, the Pokémon now crawls on the desert floor, desperately lurking for prey it attracts with its tail and an oasis the soothe the constant, burning pain of its own, searing blood.

Name Origin: A cross-over between Lure and Chiropter. Plus, it sounds like Lucifer, the fallen angel.

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
These all look really cool, just gonna comment on some of my favorites.

Meddle I really like the way the two-part design shows each type very well and I think you should keep it that way, reminds me of girafarig in that it has two distinct parts to show its typings.

Yilx I think your design is awesome looking but I actually prefer the golem personally. Just think it looks cooler I guess

LouisCypher this is a very unique idea and it incorporates all of the elements really well

Azul I think this is one of the better ideas since its so unique, I think you should try to make the face more intimidating or something since the rest of the body looks much more fearsome. I think a color scheme where the body is red to resemble lava may look good too

I had the idea of a Varanus a long time ago, but I just couldn't upload it, anyway this is my idea, I know someone already posted a Komodo Dragon, so if this is ilegal someone tell me so I can develop a new idea.

Meddle, SOOOOO much better on the cauldron now.

Comments though: Consider making the poison-thing a little less corporeal. A little more amorphous and less recognizably human-ish would be better in my opinion. Either do that, or make the cauldron less alive-looking. This is because I can't think of a single example of a Pokemon that looks like a conglomeration of two separate parts. Yeah, there's stuff like Dugtrio/Exeggcute type stuff, but that's different. That's multiples of the same thing. It appears too much as if this design has 4 eyes: the cauldron's two and the poison-thing's two.

I think the best decision design-wise to fix that would be to make the cauldron's eyes appear fake in some way. Maybe the oven-mouth too. Right now it looks like it has two sets of eyes and arms (if you count the cauldron handle things), and also two mouths. Some duplication is ok, to be sure. But at some point there should be a convergence so that it's clear that this is ONE being.

I think it'd be really cool if the real eyes and mouth were on the poison thing, but it could use the cauldron handles as arms.
Seconding this. What you should do is make the poison look like the top half of a face, remove the mouth from the poison guy, and the eyes from the cauldron. It'll look similar but not quite as cluttered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)