CAP 14 CAP 3 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

This pokemon is mostly based in axolotls because of their amphibian status, dependance of water and charming look. But also I incorporated some dinosaur and nuclear reactor aspects.

And im not sure if the upper design fits the "Main design" standards, mainly because of the gas being released and the quality of the drawing.

Here i drew the same axolotl in different poses.
The upper left design was the first one.
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7576/83377667.jpg

Background
The gas it expells from its tail is so poisonous even muk feels sick when near of it. No bacteria is able to survive inside its tail.
Its skin needs water so it can absorb it and transform it into a very poisonous substance. The venenous gas that is released from its tail is the residue of the constant reactions his body produce to make poison.
Its tail is also capable of absorbing air and transform it into fire. However the fire must be released from its body as fast as it is produced. The only way of doing so is spitting it from its mouth.
The protuberances from its head can produce and keep constant fire with no need of the tail, also they supply the body with oxygen.
The holes in its shoulders legs and lower part of the body are no more than air ducts that avoid the body from becoming overheated.

Constructive criticism comments and opinions are highly appreciated.

I also tweaked the tongue to blend it a little better with the interior see-through effect. Hard to make the tongue work with a big internal structure without it looking very strange. Making the tongue green looks awful, BTW. I may try other things, but I don't have much motivation to obsess over the particulars of the tongue any longer.
@DougJustDoug: I'll be honest; I don't really like the white tongue or the tail-flame at this point. Might I suggest that the tongue convey the fire imagery you may be going for? Like, the tongue is red or orange and "slobbers" fire. It would fit with your idea that the dog is dangerous but wants to be social; it would burn or scald anything it tried to lick.

I know that the simple smooth flow of Doug's dog is important to the design, but what if there were little fires here and there? You know what I mean? A more "liquid", oozing body might also make sense. idk

DougJustDoug: The tongue looks better than before, just by giving it the effect of disappearing into the body. I am curious to know how a sort of forked-tongue would look look on HAZMUTT, since it could convey the feel of both a poisonous creature and that of a devil (known for thriving in fire), adding a little more fun contradiction to its personality while accenting its types. Just a thought that occurred to me.

The flame-tipped tail, while done very well to suit the 'mon, still seems to throw it off. I am with the opinion of dropping the flaming tail altogether. Even though it has been mentioned by several others, when I saw the second design of your pokemon, I was drawn to the thought of some collar or collar-like addition, be it by flames or anything else that would seem fitting.

YourFavoriteEgyptian: Glad I could be of help~! I think it looks a lot better, honestly. I would have to agree with MLaRF in saying that both the volcanoes and the fire plates on the back are a little much, so going for one or the other is ideal (with the volcanoes being my preference as well). Still not sure how I feel about the mushrooms, but it would look a little bare without them and I am not sure what could replace them.

MLaRF: Spoonerisms, man.

Here it is. MAYBE final submission

(removed)

I think it looks pretty good. I took a anemone hermit crab, incorporated fire onto the crab and a lava lamp into the anemone and just took the shell out.

Pokedex entry: the [lavalampanemonecrab] lives on the bottom of the ocean. The anemone is capable of producing toxic poison as well as producing very hot lava. The crab is also known for throwing flames from its dominant pincer.

Criticisms? :D

Hermit crab based on: Electric blue hermit crab: http://www.poe-poe.com/DSC060911.jpg
Anemone based on: bubble tipped anemone: http://www.livingreefs.com/attachments/11312-bubble-tip-anemone-bc00b868.jpg
Whole animal based on: anemone hermit crab: http://cache2.artprintimages.com/lrg/26/2629/LK6MD00Z.jpg

Support artwork coming soon! :D

Edit:

DJD: it looks really good :) hes cute. make the tongue red and forked, and maybe make the whole tail be on fire??

Doran Dragon:
A little comic on the origin of my CaP mon.

Chimeramon origin
I personally like the baby version A LOT more. MAYBE DO THE BABY ONE INSTEAD.

Mos: Adorable. nothing else

Wow it's scary throwing my hat in amongst such talented artists, but I thought I'd have a go.

This is just a quick sketch.
I really like the idea of a toad that boils a flame in it's belly, and thought "what if instead of oozing standard poison, it coated it's body in a thick layer of tar". Under the sunlight the tar could boil and scold it, and under rain it wouldn't be extinguished because it's flame was internal. The flame tongue is to really signify that internal flame that it's hiding.

Any advice and criticism is really appreciated, I'd like to work it out a bit more before launching in to a detailed draw up for the first time :).

Tals - It's a great design, simple and effective. I like everything about it as it is, and I'd love to see some poses. The tongue flame is great. There's not a lot to say because, like Doug's design, the simplicity is so core to its appeal. Don't overwork it, just polish it and show us what it can do. ^_^

Is Coralmon sufficiently Poison-type?

I've added this little comment to my final submission alongside two drafts I thought helped clarify the design a bit more: "I realise some people have worried that it doesn't look "Poison-type" enough, but it is based on fire coral: Fire coral IS poisonous, and my design goes a step further to include stinging tentacles and sludge cannons - I feel like the Poison bases are adequately covered."

I'd be interested in knowing if people think that's a reasonable response to the criticisms, or if they feel I'm shirking off some criticisms with real substance too lightly? Of course I don't want to do the latter.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't think it's too much of a worry. Tentacruel doesn't have any obvious features that suggest it's a Poison type other than being a jellyfish, so I think Coralmon is Poison-type enough due to its biology. Your Sludge Bomb art also further swayed me.

Tals - It's a great design, simple and effective. I like everything about it as it is, and I'd love to see some poses. The tongue flame is great. There's not a lot to say because, like Doug's design, the simplicity is so core to its appeal. Don't overwork it, just polish it and show us what it can do. ^_^
Sure! Once again some quick sketches to show how it might employ some moves, because I did put some thought in to how it might actually function in a battle. Spraying targets with tar and such!

Through the link so as not to spam up the thread:
Support art for Sludge Wave, Heat Wave and Will'o'Wisp

I like it, Tals. a toad makes a lot of sense for this CaP, at least ability-wise. Toads have skin that is dry and bumpy to the touch (Dry Skin), and they also absorb water (rather than drinking it) through this dry skin, just as CaP3 will absorb water-type attacks. Also fits the poison typing pretty well as toads carry toxins (at the very least in the Parotoid glands but I believe in the skin also).

Unfortunately, they also make damn boring pets. And they pee on you a lot.

YourFavoriteEgyptian

Banned deucer.
DougJustDoug: The tongue looks better than before, just by giving it the effect of disappearing into the body. I am curious to know how a sort of forked-tongue would look look on HAZMUTT, since it could convey the feel of both a poisonous creature and that of a devil (known for thriving in fire), adding a little more fun contradiction to its personality while accenting its types. Just a thought that occurred to me.

The flame-tipped tail, while done very well to suit the 'mon, still seems to throw it off. I am with the opinion of dropping the flaming tail altogether. Even though it has been mentioned by several others, when I saw the second design of your pokemon, I was drawn to the thought of some collar or collar-like addition, be it by flames or anything else that would seem fitting.

YourFavoriteEgyptian: Glad I could be of help~! I think it looks a lot better, honestly. I would have to agree with MLaRF in saying that both the volcanoes and the fire plates on the back are a little much, so going for one or the other is ideal (with the volcanoes being my preference as well). Still not sure how I feel about the mushrooms, but it would look a little bare without them and I am not sure what could replace them.

MLaRF: Spoonerisms, man.
I took out the shrooms to see how it looks and instead, I replaced them with sludge volcanoes. I see what you mean when you said that both the plates and the volcanoes are a little much but I think the plates give it the dinosaur appeal that I am looking for. Without the plates, it kind of looks like a Torterra without a tree. Thanks MLaRF and Dr. Eyepatch again for your feedback.

And as always, Constructive Criticism is Welcome!

I've been lurking for ages now - but this thread finally got me to come out of the shadows. I had an idea to add. It's nothing in comparison with the ideas already posted, but I thought I'd give it a go.

Flamengoo: (the sludge foot pokemon)
It catches it's food by standing perfectly still in shallow waters, allowing the sweet smell of the sludge created by its feet to attract and then poison its prey.
or
This pokemon must stay in humid areas or near water as the skin on its legs and neck tend to crack in arid climates.
or
The inner temperatures of this pokemon often force its sludge to catch fire – the toxins are so potent as to often turn the flames green or even purple.

Thanks all!

Got some colour on the bulked up image.

I like your design, flexistentialist, but you're poll-jumping a bit with the description text as description text. The green flames work surprisingly well.

If we had given the CAP hover rather than dry-skin, I'd be all over the volitile flamingo, but it just doesn't seem to fit the theme.

It fits the TYPING well enough, but not the rest of the cap theme

flexistentialist, While this bird is a refreshing change of pace, I feel I must make you aware that we don't decide on names or dex flavour at this point in the process. Also since you gave it an avian body form there's a glaring error apparent: You put the joint in the leg the wrong way round.

Oh my gosh! Everythings moving so fast! And I got left behind! I haven't had my tablet for like a week! But in that week i thought about my CAP and came to the conclusion that it looked more like a video game boss than a pokemon. But now, I present the mutant frog!

Ok so very brief backstory: It's a mutant frog! During the transition between tadpole and frog, it's pond got filled with radioactive gunk and this thing hops out with the ability to shoot fire and secrete poison!

Basically it's a poison dart frog with fire. I know there are other frog submissions and I hope you don't feel like I'm trying to hop the bandwaggon, but I feel my brings something different to the table and there it little more than conceptual overlap!

So what do you think? Keep the frog angle or ditch it and return to gas mask mon?

The frog has a better feel, and frankly quite a few artists need to drop their tenuous connections to Dry Skin, and just submit new designs that actually incorporate it more organically. The frog looks cool, and it's a better fit to this CAP.

Finally colored! God it took me so much time how do you guys do

History: Long ago, when Luropter were only a young pokémon species, it flew over desertic areas, its acute senses allowing it to prey at night, and its thick fur to support sandstorms. However, as it mutated to develop a strong toxin to better deal with bigger preys and predators, the poison reacted with the fire in its blood to form a highly corrosive substance. Luropter's body was not able to support the chemical reaction, and the fur on its chest burned down to reveal a charred, sensitive skin. Moreover, the thin membrane of its wings was slowly bitten away by the poison, forcing Luropter to the ground.

Cursed by its own typing, the Pokémon now crawls on the desert floor, desperately lurking for prey it attracts with its tail and an oasis the soothe the constant, burning pain of its own, searing blood.

Name Origin: A cross-over between Lure and Chiropter. Plus, it sounds like Lucifer, the fallen angel.

ah SENTRET, that looks much more attuned to the concept! I can't wait to see it prettied up with your magic touch :D

Lord of the Fireflies
, I'm assuming that those orange bits on the wing bones are flames? if so you might want to show them pointing upwards, if they're meant to be the burning remains of the membrane. Otherwise they look like jets of exhaust, fooling us (me) into thinking it has ROCKET WINGS (which would be hella cool IMO).

Besides that, I don't understand the point of the eyed tail when it has perfectly serviceable fangs at the front end with which to deliver poison.

Lord of the Fireflies, I'm assuming that those orange bits on the wing bones are flames? if so you might want to show them pointing upwards, if they're meant to be the burning remains of the membrane. Otherwise they look like jets of exhaust, fooling us (me) into thinking it has ROCKET WINGS (which would be hella cool IMO).

Besides that, I don't understand the point of the eyed tail when it has perfectly serviceable fangs at the front end with which to deliver poison.
Well, the flames kinda shoots out because the fire is actually the poison flowing in its bloodstream that caught on fire and now spits out of the holes in the wings.

An eyed tails are awesome, they have no reason to exist but to be awesome. Your point is invalid. Also maybe the supporting material will help (soon to be scanned).

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Oh my gosh! Everythings moving so fast! And I got left behind! I haven't had my tablet for like a week! But in that week i thought about my CAP and came to the conclusion that it looked more like a video game boss than a pokemon. But now, I present the mutant frog!
Yeah, the first thing I thought when seeing this was Battletoads. :p the design looks pretty awesome, but I think if we're going for frogs and toads, they shouldn't be bipedal. Otherwise, they have a lot of potential to feel too much like Toxicroak outside of superficial details. I think going for a quadrupedal design would help distinguish CAP 3 from Toxicroak, so if I were you, I'd try and make the design a little more animal-based. The current design would also bring up questions over its low Attack stat, but I realise this isn't valid justification.

breh

強いだね
Yeah, the first thing I thought when seeing this was Battletoads. :p the design looks pretty awesome, but I think if we're going for frogs and toads, they shouldn't be bipedal. Otherwise, they have a lot of potential to feel too much like Toxicroak outside of superficial details. I think going for a quadrupedal design would help distinguish CAP 3 from Toxicroak, so if I were you, I'd try and make the design a little more animal-based. The current design would also bring up questions over its low Attack stat, but I realise this isn't valid justification.
Agreeing that the design is reminiscent of Toxicroak, which is another frogmon with Dry Skin. On the topic of quadrupedal poses, perhaps a swamert-esque pose would be good?

Still, the design is one of the most natural I've seen.

Well, the flames kinda shoots out because the fire is actually the poison flowing in its bloodstream that caught on fire and now spits out of the holes in the wings.
well then it might be more condusive to have it trickling down the wings instead?

And eyed tails are awesome, they have no reason to exist but to be awesome. Your point is invalid. Also maybe the supporting material will help (soon to be scanned).
Well you can't say fairer than that! :P

I don't have much time to post so here are the ones that stuck out the most to me.

Mos-Quitoxe - Absolutely adorable. I can't contain my love of disgusting slime-trail-leaving aquatic creatures normally, but your design just takes the cake. I have no artistic talent and have no idea what to add or subtract from your design, so there's my opinion of how cute it is.

Yilx - It seems a bit complex for my tastes, but I adore the supporting art that you give for your designs, I love your idea and would it kill you to do something that isn't humanoid definitely think it's one of the best in this thread.

KoA - Loving the slug. I'm actually surprised at the amount of different mollusks that have been shown in this thread, and all of them are unique and interesting. Yours is definitely one of my favourites, however.

DougJustDoug - I'm speechless. Seriously, you managed to make this into a canine of some sort, and it just... Works. I applaud you on your bravery, but alas, I have no medal of honour to give you.

CyzirVisheen - I... How... I can't tell if it's cute, or fearsome. Is it possible for it to be both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)