CAP 15 CAP 4 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
My current favorite artwork by far was made by Doran Dragon. Its simple yet well-crafted take on the typing makes it perfect in my eyes. I also really like the ideas of aragornbird, Bummer, Chomz, DugoutCanoe, Kadew, KoA, and Teravolt. I hope at least some of these ideas get slated; they're really good!

Ok I made a quick draft redesign for the monster I submitted earlier. I channged the mouth and features to make it looks less reptilain or dragon like. Since there has been a femine like CAP i figured i could give it a go. This mon is based of egyptian influences, including the scrab insect. Her eyebrows are actually her antennas and she uses her psyhic abilities to hold the armor to her body. Once agian I appreciate all comments and critques.

Final Submission

Here's my little attempt at this CAP. I like to personally call the lil' guy Phasmanu, which is a portmanteau of Phasmantodea (a.k.a walking stick insect) and Hanuman (a Hindu deity).

Of course, that's just my personal name for it. I hope you all enjoy it!

aragornbird i really like your design i like the direction you took the two arms. we both had the same idea with the scarab wich shows great minds think alike ;)
Asylum_Rhapsody i really like the concept and would love to see some more sketches of it
BlueConcept another great concept and i would also like to see more illustrations of it from you
BlueConcept awesome drawing but i cant help feeling its a bit like kricketune/tot
Chomz awesome bud! i wanna see some color dude! cant wait to see the color scheme you cook up!
Doran Dragon awesome dude i love the use of the top sythe-y arms. completely captures the bug/psy combo
KoA diggin the new color scheme! i love how you got the three wing things floating around the body like that
Mos_Quitoxe haha thats brutal how you have all the dead pkm on him! but i don't get that psychic feel from him, maybe dark since he's covered in other bugs
Quanyails just some great artwork man
Rocket Grunt its so awesome man! but like Mos_Quitoxe im kinda gettim more of a dark vibe from it. still awesome though! what id like to see it a single of each of them and then one with them together without all the sketches cluttered around so i can focus on the one two and three of them
Steampowered at first i considered it to be easily one of the best but now im not sure seeing as all of these are so great its gonna be tight, but just know i liked this one from the get-go
Teravolt wow another awesome one. id like to see a cleaner image though. still great
ToxicPhox easily one of my favorites. i love how you got the brain like design behind the head and part of it wrapping around it. its really awesome. id love to see some more work done with this one. a cleaner colored image would make it just that much better
Yilx i really enjoy your artwork, though i liked the slender one better before you added the red and blue and now with the color to the scorpion, i perfer it over the slender one. the coloring and shading are superb

theres some really good competition for my first grab at the cap. i really like all of yours and added you in this list as a list of the top cap submissions. i hope you all thought you all found this helpful and id love some critiques on my work as well. i know my initial post wasn't verry good. (i drew it at 2am) my second sketch is much better in my opinion. good luck guys

Egyptians everywhere D:

Yilx's is looking badass, can't wait to see it finished.
Doug's is quirky and cool as always...
Doran's Fortune-Teller Mantis is... interesting. Very cool.

Mos-Quitoxe has a really cool design, although the implied murder of multiple other Bug mons is mildly disconcerting. Also I'm not really feeling the psychic type...

Salamachine's is pretty cool, but I don't see the bug type. Even with the change it still looks way too reptilian, I can't really spot any bug like attributes at all... I think think the feminine look has actually worsened things in this regard. It is a cool design, just... not really buggy.

Jesseus and XDaylon, I suppose I should explain again since the sketch picture is so far back now.
The psychic-ness in my entry is conveyed by the type of armor he's wearing: all of the bug shells used on him are ones with a subtype weak to Psychic; Heracross for the helmet and weapon, and all the bug/poison lines for everything else. If he were a dark-typed bug, the only thing he'd be covered in is Shedinja bits, and what use is armor when it only has 1 HP, eh?

Or I could cover it in all the other CAP4 entries since they're weak to dark themselves, but that'd be weird, to say the least! :P

Ok I missed some rules before so here's take 2 (the main image still uses the same link because i deleted the old one and reuploaded; as a result it may still show up as being too big if you saw it before)

The ants in your pantry are now super intellegent and communicate telepathically.

So basically he's an ant. Ants communicate via their antennae, so I decided to adapt this into technological antennae, giving him a radio-like face and a TV on his thorax.
I'm gonna fix it up later with some shading and a white background (transparent atm) but this is him for now. Thoughts?
Also some supporting material:
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc149/aeojrtfao/gyaradosillusion.png
You almost can't tell that he's not actually a Gyarados

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc149/aeojrtfao/weakarmour.png
It also makes sense that the illusion would break after a hit looking at this :P

XDaylon: I prefer the red coloring. It's a change of pace when it comes to color schemes used in previous entries. Also, it makes your design further different from the existing scarab designs.

Salamachine: Still not seeing any of the bug typing come through. It you want some advice on how to make it more insect-esque, give it more eyes, multiple tiny arms, an exoskeleton, and make the antennae eyebrows loke like... well, antennae. There isn't anything wrong with the design itself, but it doesn't fit with the typing that has been picked.

Lord Jesseus: Interesting concept, I'd love to see some more development into that idea of yours. Though I wonder how it gets around. Does it hop? Because that would be adorable.

Here is my magicianmoth colored in:

I'm actually working on redesigning the geeky mantis but I thought I could color this one meanwhile.

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

I will do up the supp if i have the time
basically all of it's abilities revolve around it's shield-pincers

Yilx that design is so sick! however i cant help but feel that the no gaurd is not represented when he had a large shield in front of him. and im not gettin that psychic vibe from him. like Mos-Quitoxe im gettin a dark vine or maybe even a ghost due to the wrappings, which i are awesome by the way

If I even have the gall to post after Yilx's work.. god it's incredibly well drawn

(Purplier legs? I can fix that right now. Do you prefer the above? This was the original, for comparison.)

I tried to make it less hell on the spriters, but I may have broken my colour scheme in the process. Better or worse?

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm a big fan of your submission, CBMeadow, but I was wondering whether you'd considered a more purple colour scheme for the rear legs etc. This would match the head and thus require less colours on a sprite, and I think it'd be a better combination with the red than your blue colour is to the green. Just a thought.

Also, Yilx, your scorpion is absolutely fantastic, but the navy blue on the exoskeleton is really giving me Dark-type vibes. I'm not exactly sure which colour would be best in its place, but maybe using more of an indigo hue would reduce those connotations.

In summary, all entries should be bright purple. :p

some support art for my sub. note that the arms are not actualy that big, they are just supposed to be closer to the viewer than the rest of him

so he's chargin up his shadow balls in a downward thrust with his wings. he is a psychic type but most all psychic types can lean it through tm and it suits his color. his false eyes on his shell will glow when firing/charging a special attack. the spikes on his arms can also be used like sythes for physical attacks like slash

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

Slightly revised colour scheme with a brighter blue shell.

Scorpionmon with Illusion have very tough shield-weaves that they use to project a false image and hide themselves from view.

Those with Weak Armor have brittle shields that can shatter easily, revealling sharp claws that aid heavily in forward movement.

Finally, those with No Guard will extensively use the "Obelisk" on their tail for pinpoint accuracy, foregoing their shields for actual claws. However, this also makes them very easy targets due to how easy they are to hit while aiming with their "laser scope".

And here is is using Megahorn on Celebi just for kicks...

Wow.. I've been lurking this design thread for a while and just made an account specifically to voice my support for Yilx's scorpion. Looks fantastic, man.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/Yilx/monc.jpg

Slightly revised colour scheme with a brighter blue shell.

Scorpionmon with Illusion have very tough shield-weaves that they use to project a false image and hide themselves from view.

Those with Weak Armor have brittle shields that can shatter easily, revealling sharp claws that aid heavily in forward movement.

Finally, those with No Guard will extensively use the "Obelisk" on their tail for pinpoint accuracy, foregoing their shields for actual claws. However, this also makes them very easy targets due to how easy they are to hit while aiming with their "laser scope".

And here is is using Megahorn on Celebi just for kicks...
Wow. That is really, really cool looking. Could we perhaps get a sketch of it's claws, perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)