CAP 15 CAP 4 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Did someone call for an illusionist????

Edit: I've later been made aware of Birkal's earlier submission on page 1, but regardless of the likelyness, this was drawn right after that illusion was voted for secondary ability.

You don't think it looks like a garbodor ripoff? even the teeth and colors are similar
I think it has way too many eyes, it could pass as a Zelda/RE boss, but the concept of a scorpion carrying it's babies is pretty cool, not sure if fitting.

Did someone call for an illusionist????

Oh my god. This is too cute.

That said, little issues: firstly, his right hand only has three fingers, while his left has four. I like the way he's holding his left hand in this picture, so you should go with four fingers on each hand. Secondly, I don't like his feet; it looks like he's wearing high heels.

Now, with that said, D'AAAW :3. Good work

Kadew

*bird sounds*
is an Artist Alumnus
Been lurking about the CAP project for about 4 years, time for my first contribution to the process. Hope it's not too bad. Just a rough sketch at this point.

A mantis based on a masquerade ball and that sort of mystique that accompanies such. The mask, I am toying with the idea of making it the severed head of a male, as mantises are apt to do. Illusion should be obvious with the design, it would put on the mask and PSYCHIC POWERS bam it's another pokemon. For weak armor, maybe it would break up the "gown" so it would be easier to run/use the wings.

Here is just a quick sketch of an idea I had. It's a butterfly that has been taken over by the crystal-ball like life form. The crystal ball keeps the butterfly's wings closed around it in a cocoon like shape for protection, and if need be it can launch last-hope attacks as seen in the small sketch in the corner. I wasn't sure what I wanted the design on the wings to be so if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them! Also, I'd like suggestions on how to make it more obviously psychic.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k35/weavile3/0eb2342bc83bec71a809dc6c4e1f3ee5.jpg

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
You don't think it looks like a garbodor ripoff? even the teeth and colors are similar
Nasty Jungle is one of the most talented artists on smogon, and you think that psychic scorpion looks like garbage?

Aside from being objectively wrong about everything you just said (it not having the same color or the same mouth), Garbodor is one of the ugliest pokemon in existence and Nasty Jungle's art is awesome.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/fauket/CAPsub.png

A psychedelic luna moth. The bug part is obvious but for the psychic typing, I kind of thought of a bug that has a defense mechanism where it causes crazy acid trips to living things nearby, directly disorienting others minds by emitting psychic waves through its antennas. Some more reference material to give some idea on its eyes and wings.

This needs a whole lot more love. It is so adorable and it looks fragile which could work with Weak Armor, and the supporting material of the wings flashing to confuse enemies got me thinking about flipbooks, how rapid slide progression can depict actions which got me thinking how rapid color changing can show some different body which would go with Illusion. If I were you I would even out the wings and tail a bit, because the lower wings and tail look a little loopsided. (Especially that little pointy bit at the end of the tail.)

Dusk209

No relation.
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Been lurking about the CAP project for about 4 years, time for my first contribution to the process. Hope it's not too bad. Just a rough sketch at this point.

http://i.imgur.com/pTBQc.png

A mantis based on a masquerade ball and that sort of mystique that accompanies such. The mask, I am toying with the idea of making it the severed head of a male, as mantises are apt to do. Illusion should be obvious with the design, it would put on the mask and PSYCHIC POWERS bam it's another pokemon. For weak armor, maybe it would break up the "gown" so it would be easier to run/use the wings.

Any ideas to make it more psychic-like?
I'm really loving this design, it's great for a first try. Also, I think it looks enough like a psychic type. I'm looking forward to seeing a finished version of this, It's amazing.

Some other designs I would love to see win: Yilx, ToxicPhox, or Doran Dragon.

Magician-hand spider here

How do you like my new colors? I tidied up the line-art and ignoring any future color changes, I think this is what my finalized design will look like.

@ BlueConcept Oh gosh that is the cutest thing ever. don't change anything

EDIT: Actually, I think it would be pretty cool if you could make it snap its fingers. Just saying.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
After some heavy workshopping, I've done some heavy palette tweaking. I tried that site paintseagull, and I rather like it. I tried settling on a scheme that is both majestic looking, while not having any colors that are too harsh or clashy.

I emphasized on some silvers and golds as they are the stereotypical "angelic" colors, but also a tinge of blue-ish purple for highlight. This design I feel incorporates the typing real well and does so in a way that isn't completely dependent on the color scheme.

I'm not sure why I was so hard pressed on using the earthy tones, but this I feel suits better.

Also, I really like the concept Amarquez, but perhaps the papyrus scrolls could be altered. Maybe floating glass orbs? I feel it could convey the psychic typing better and not add too much complexity to the design.

And that spider glove, despite my horrific phobia of spiders, is charming in an odd way lol.

Asylum_Rhapsody

It's finally here! Psycholobug has been revamped and is now Psycho Bug!

This submission was a collaboration. While I liked my design idea, my artistic skill is lacking, and so one of my friends decided to be really super cool and help me out by lending her artistic talents. I am still unclear on how she would like to be credited, as she is not a Smogon member, but I will update ASAP when I find out.
(EDIT: She has requested that I link to her tumblr.)

Ever since the idea of the move Psycho Boost was brought up as a potential risky Psychic STAB for our Riskymon, I wanted to see how it would go over to visually demonstrate its Psychic typing via imagery inspired by psychology rather than anything supernatural, so that's where I initially decided to make a Rorschach-Test-inspired design. As many of you may have seen earlier in the thread, my initial concept was to have the bug at the center of this Rorschach Test be inspired by a typical psychiatrist or psychologist, as though it were administering the test. However, when I posted my most recent concept sketches of what to do with Psycholobug's body, the most positive responses I got on #cap were actually for the joke image I drew of it in a straightjacket. At the same time, I was concerned that Psycholobug didn't visually inspire enough badassery, so I decided to run with the straightjacket idea, and Psycho Bug was born.

It is important to note that this straightjacket that Psycho Bug "wears" is not any external device. Rather, the flavor here is that Psycho Bug goes between periods of sanity and insanity, and during those periods of sanity, it wraps its own body and limbs in an adhesive silk, forming a sort of cocoon to prevent itself from harming itself or others during its not so sane periods. For a Psycho Bug with Weak Armor, its silk is not so effective, and each hit that it takes loosens the restraints of the cocoon. You will see this in future supporting artwork, where all four of its arms will be posed to attack.

As far as Illusion goes, I've needed to make absolutely no changes in the design to account for it. After all, the entire purpose of the Rorschach test is what you think you see, and the "wings" here have always been intended to be formed of an amorphous gaseous substance (think similar to Musharna's dream mist) that changes in shape as one would expect of a thick gas. It's no stretch to think that some Psycho Bugs would be able to manipulate this substance to form disguises and explore the true fears of their opponents.

What insect is this based on, you might ask? That is left intentionally ambiguous. The easiest answer is that it's something like a moth, as that's a typical answer given for the Rorschach Test being used above in its default depiction. However, I could see it being a lot of other things too. It bears some similarities to Shedinja, making cicada a reasonable guess. I also see it as somewhat cockroach-like in behavior in that people seem to fear it for its association with negative elements (insanity for Psycho Bug, filth or disease for cockroach) despite its non-malevolent nature. And then, of course, it's tempting to make an argument for it being a yellow jacket just because.

I was going to write some more story, but I'm worried about getting too specific, so I'll just leave it here for now and thank you in advance for feedback. ^_^

On the possible question of this submission's legality:
I have been getting conflicting messages on how this submission should be made. On the one hand, it has been stated before that collaborations for art are allowed and welcome. On the other hand, the rules here clearly state that "all material in both the main design and supporting material must be your own", leading some to conclude that I cannot post art that I did not draw myself. On the other hand, the rules also clearly state that posted art "must be related to an original art design by the poster", meaning that she would be unable to post art based off of a design concept that I originated.

For now, I am going to go with the interpretation that the "must be your own" rule, when applied to a collaboration, uses "your" in the plural sense, meaning that I can post material that is "our" own, which this is. Regardless of what is decided, I would like to request that the PRC review how collaborative entries are to be handled, as the general posting rules for this thread intended to avoid plagiarism are ambiguous and open to interpretations that may hinder collaboration.

Regardless of whether or not the Smogon people allow your submission, Asylum Rhapsody, I think it's a brilliant concept. Let your friend know that the design is very well done.

My only suggestion would be to perhaps have the "wings" as white and put the Rorschach ink blots on the white. The wings as they are now really scream "dark type", but I think with some kind of white space, they'd resemble Rorschach blots more. I think it'd be extremely easy to incorporate a set of white wings that double as restraints (like padded walls or more straps) and a cocoon.

After some heavy workshopping, I've done some heavy palette tweaking. I tried that site paintseagull, and I rather like it. I tried settling on a scheme that is both majestic looking, while not having any colors that are too harsh or clashy.

I emphasized on some silvers and golds as they are the stereotypical "angelic" colors, but also a tinge of blue-ish purple for highlight. This design I feel incorporates the typing real well and does so in a way that isn't completely dependent on the color scheme.

I'm not sure why I was so hard pressed on using the earthy tones, but this I feel suits better.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/kingofanime/angelic.png
This all of it. You have actually gone and surpassed anything I could have or wanted to do with the design I was trying to go for. Add a little Jade green and it would be absolutely where I wanted to my concept to go all this time and just didn't have the time or actual computer skill to do so.

Bummer very good aproach to the illusionist idea, without letting aside the weak armour. It's a little bit too humanshape for my own personal taste, but being more objective it's a very, very good design.
adhdtv Man I don't see anything close to Garbodor there. At all.
Kadew I think it looks psychic enough, but if you want to make it even more psychic-looking, I think that you should focus on the mask. Like giving it some illusion-psychic properties, but I really don't know. If I think of anything I'll let you know. Maybe making the face very ugly, and the mask beautiful? Yeah that's not a very good idea, but something of the sort, you know?
ikasu I'd like to see yours in color. I think that the butterfly is not finished, if you know what i mean. I think you should either make it more explicit (adding a head or whatever) or just forget about the butterfly and make it a couple of wings.
BlueConcept nothing to say, really. It's just very good. I like the idea of the snapping fingers, though.
KoA nailed it. The previous pallete gave me the impression of a forest living creature, but now I see it more like a guardian of some temple or something. I can't suggest anything to this one.
Asylum Rhapsody I think the concept you are working on is BRILLIANT. When I saw it I was like "Oh man how come I didn't think of that one". But I still think you should work around the concept, like making the straightjacket a part of the pokemon without having to explain it. Also white wings with black marks is a great idea, since it just gives me a too ghostly feel right now.

I am getting closer to my final submission. Tried to make the abdomen more organic but I didn't like how it turned out. I'll just keep it like that to give it the andean-amazonic feel. Feedback is welcome.

@KoA that is epic! Is the shiny version going to be pink/purple, or purple/black like a dark angel?

By the way, paintseagull, I saved that color website you recommended; I don't know exactly what I'm going to do with it yet, but I could see it being helpful for some of my artworks!

Rocket Grunt

✁ - - - - - - - - - -
is a Top Artist Alumnus

still dont know what im doing
but i think im closer than last time
i need to do a full on photoshop drawing
changed the wasp to more of a brain controller
wanted it to look kind of like a spine & nervous system
gotta make sure the legs are consistant though
still kind of guessing on the colors right now
im gonna do some comics later on i think
to show how illusion & weak armor work
thanks for the support

Some supporting art for Illusion.
Original Design: http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy282/November1093/CAPShaman-2.jpg

Shaman moth mon wraps itself in the cosmic power of its wings to manipulate light and form false images of other pokemon. Here we see Shaman mon about to disguise itself as a tyranitar to lure a fighting type into a sense of false security
(I know tyranitar is a bad example because of sand stream, but please bear with me).

Also on other abilities, weak armor can work similarly (moth wings aren't very good armor) and as far as no guard (which is looking like it will win the tertiary ability poll), shaman mon is always praying. It would rather pray and take an attack than worry about fending said attack off.
I must admit tho, as far as logic goes, having an ability like no guard while also having an ability that involves armor is a bit hard to have justified at the same time.

You know, for a while now, I had made up my mind that KoA's Seraph was my going favorite...

And then the Psycho Bug came into play.

MOM, DAD, DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE!

I've been stalking this project from the start, and i thought, "why not."
So, the original idea was to make it look like a butterfly, but it ended up looking more like a wasp. I suck at coloring, and I failed with the wings.

Its purple stripes and markings start to glow when it uses its psychic powers. The gem on its lower body is used as a weapon. And the abilities:
Illusion: It uses its psychic powers to twist the light around it, and creates a "reflection".
Weak Armor: Well, its head seems solid, but its actually soft. Every hit it takes transfers energy from its body to its wings, and thus it can move faster while lowering its own defense.
No Guard(?): The gem on its lower body will always aim at the foe. But all of its stripes glow brightly as well, so the foe can take aim at it.

So, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)