1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

CAP 16 CAP 5 - Name Submissions

Discussion in 'CAP Process Archive' started by capefeather, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inanimate blob

inanimate blob

I have two from the previous post that was deleted, but I'll cut it to just these two this time so I don't get deleted again.

Pythet
    Comes from "python," a type of snake, and "chet," which is Hebrew for sin.

Nachet
    Comes from "nahash," which is Hebrew for serpent, and "chet," which is Hebrew for sin. Also sounds a bit like "not yet," which could refer to a fall from grace or some deep meaning.

I'm probably going to ditch Nahissh because of the lack of reaction/negative reaction to it. So it's really between "Pythet" and "Nachet."
  2. Nomark

Nomark

Swisp
    Snake and Whisper, pronounced phonetically, like lisp with an sw.
    Whispering is one of the most persuasive tones, going with the temptation theme. The s sounds bring hissing to mind. It rolls off the tongue fairly well.
    EDIT: Inanimate Blob, Nachet sounds much better to me. The 'th' in Pythet is a little annoying phonetically. They're both good names, though.
  3. RabidChipmunk

RabidChipmunk

I really like Pessimamba, but it seems like a more obvious explanation for the pessi- part of it's name is the word "Pessimist."
  4. Thunderbolta

Thunderbolta

Crueltalus

Crotalus (From Crotalus cerastes - latin name for rattle snake) + Cruel.

Vismith
    Viper + Granny Smith Apple
  5. BloodOmen

BloodOmen

Reptiss

Reptile + Hiss
  6. dwarfstar

dwarfstar
    is a Pre-Contributor

So, here are the potential names, one of which was stated before.

-Ringophis (English phonetic rin-GO-fis, IPA rɪn'goʊ.fɪs), from ringo (Japanese for apple) and the Greek ophis (snake).
    -Anguile (IPA æŋ'gaɪɫ), from the Latin anguis (snake) and "guile", meaning trickery or deceit.

Which do you guys like better?
  7. SodaSwordfighter

SodaSwordfighter

Not Final

Cultiviper

Cultivator + Viper. It has the ability harvest and cultivator hints at that along with it being part grass. Viper is fairly obvious as it's design is based on a rattlesnake.

"Pronounced: <kuhl-tuh-vahy-per>"
    "IPA: <'kʌltə,vaɪpər>"
  8. Adams

Adams

Kepplur

Combines the sounds of snake and apple lure. Which seems very fitting to it's name.

Pronounced:Kep-lER
    IPA: kɛpplʌr
  9. ProfessorPyroak

ProfessorPyroak

I'm thinking of the name Pythorn. A combination of "python" and "thorn". "Python" like the type of snake and "thorn" because CAP 5 has thorns on its body, and because it appears to be based on the snake in the story of the Garden of Eden. :)
  10. ShravanP

ShravanP

(Two WIP)

--------------

Ominasp

Ominous + Asp

Pronounced: Au - min - asp
    IPA: ɑmɪnæsp

Very simple, easy to recognize. "Ominous" is a good word that encapsulates the feeling of evil intent that accompanies this design.

-------------

Aggrasp

Aggressive + Asp

Pronounced: Agg - rasp
    IPA: ægræsp

Another simple yet dangerous sounding name.
  11. Yarnus of Bethany

Yarnus of Bethany

Edenapple
    Eden+Apple combine to a tempting suggestion. (sound it out if you don't get it)
    Eed-enn-a-pull
  12. Lster728

Lster728

(WIP) will add pronunciation with final submission

Ok here's two I REALLY like

Surrpent
    A combination of surripere(to snatch secretly) and serpent.

Surreptile
    A combination of surreptitious(stealthy) and reptile.

Tell me what you guys think!
  13. adhdtv

adhdtv

There's a bit of christian, greek, hindu mythology here. Let me suggest a norse alternative.

Idungand/Idungandr- I took the norse goddess idunn, the goddess related to apples. She also grows the golden apples that keep the asgardian gods young and Immortal. Her name means ever young and rejuvenator. This part refers to lumrest and sitrus berry abuse from harvest.
    The second part comes from the midgard serpent, Jormungand who is Thor's nemesis. Jormungandr is said to come out of the ocean and poison the sky on Ragnarok. It is so big that it encircles the world and bites its own tail. If it lets go, the world ends
    . Another alternative is Jormundun, same etymology
  14. ShadowLime

ShadowLime

WIP

Alright, since theres so many Ouroboros entries, I'm gonna go with Soroboros [snake/serpent + sorrow + Ouroboros] so I can get the palindrome out of it to differentiate from the pack a bit.

and just to make it so my post isn't just a bump, here's a third option:

Orcharm (orchard + or/ore + charm) orchard as in apple orchard, or being french for gold or ore meaning the unrefined form of precious stones/metals such as gold, and charm being both a synonym of entice, and to evoke snake charmer.

I'll keep running with Auladon [aurum + Ladon], but I didn't think about Aurumoth, so I'm a little less stoked on it.
  15. CJorex

CJorex

I'm going to give a suggestion-

Malishus
    Pronounciation: mal-ISH-us
    IPA: məˈlɪʃəs
    Etymology: At first, it looks like a corrupption of malicious, which was intended. This references the Dark typing. However, the meaning goes deeper than that- Malicious is also a portmanteau of malum, Latin for both apple and evil, and delicious, because to be tempting the apple would certainly have to be delicious, would it not?
  16. Flaresun

Flaresun

I'm going to try to give a submission too...

Zmesire
    Pronounciation: Zme-SIRE
    IPA: idk how to do this, I'll be very grateful if somebody explained it to me.
    Etymology: the first part comes from zmey - russian for snake, the second part comes from desire.

I don't know if I should use this version or Zmeysire, and I'd love to receive critique and comments
  17. Shanimanim

Shanimanim

Eveper

Eve + Viper

Pronounciation: EEV-per

IPA: ivpər
  18. Lord Jesseus

Lord Jesseus

Why is everyone so eager to jam "ouroboros" into their names?

My top pick so far
  19. adonnis85

adonnis85

Came up with my third and final idea for a name for this evil little critter

Zenapletis or Xenapletis

Pronunciation: Zen-ap-uhl-tis
    It is a combination of "Xenopeltis Unicolor", the scientific classification of the Sunbeam Snake, and apple. Any feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
  20. Flare Blitzle

Flare Blitzle

Sinfehiss

A combination of sin, synthesis and hiss. Combines all of snakes, Grass, Dark and the Garden of Eden snake into one. Sinthehiss looked a bit odd to me so I altered it into the name above, but I'm also considering Sinferhiss, Sinfahiss and Sinphehiss as spellings. I'm not currently sure which spelling is best though.
  21. Aurist

Aurist

Nahastile

Rolls off the tongue (imo ^-^) (na-HASS-tile) and combines elements of Nachash (Hebrew for "serpent"/"shine" [in the context of brass] as well as having biblical/garden of eden connotations), Naga (fantasy serpent race), Hostile (fitting in the malevolence) and Reptile.
  22. TooMuchSugar

TooMuchSugar

Yay I'm finally contributing something

Taboa

Obvious mashup of taboo and boa. Taboo because forbidden fruit, boa because snake. It's pretty simple and I think it sounds good.

I really like Surreptile, Ominasp, Snidewindr (heh), Boallure, Hisscord, Cultiviper. I'm not too excited about all the mythology based names, they all seem too long and complicated. However, nothing so far has been as unpronounceable as Yveltal, so I guess they're okay.

Also

23. TheTraininator

TheTraininator

I know a similar name was suggested, but I'm thinking Addlure, because it's a combination of Addler, a type of snake, and lure. Now that I think about it, Rattlure would work too, for the same reasons (Rattler + Lure). Which do you guys prefer?

EDIT: I also like Roserade Raider's Temptiss, but if I may, I believe it should be changed to Temptriss, because the extra r makes it sound a lot more like Temptress, which is an actual word. Plus, it just sounds better.
  24. Yveltal

Yveltal

I choose...

Hisilishus, like hissing and a red delicious. hisilishus definition, make them nudists crazy. I wanna make em hurt, but God is saying "don't be shady"...
    Now to be serious, I would choose Disgaloa. Discord+gala(like the apple)+boa Or Corrgaloa.
  25. Allethosea

Allethosea

Sinhisster

Sinful, sinister snake.

Pronounced the same as sinister.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)