1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

CaPmon Sprite Revamping

Discussion in 'Create-A-Pokémon Project' started by Wyverii, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Onetwobanana

Onetwobanana

Privateer and pirate are two distinctly separate things.

Privateers were employed by whatever Navy - they often acted as pirates, but only towards enemies of whichever royalty employed them. A Spanish privateer would never attack a Spanish merchant vessel, and would even defend one under attack. Pirates had no such limitations.

That's neither here nor there, though. Great jobs on the sprites so far, guys!
  2. Chubbs

Chubbs

I thought that it was because of Private but idk
  3. heatran1919

heatran1919

[​IMG]
    Hey guys. I got a little bit bored, so I took a swing at a shiny for Colosshale.

We all live in a yellow submarine~
    Yellow submarine~
    Yellow submarine~
  4. elementalheroshadow

elementalheroshadow

can i call voodoom and kitsuno?

EDIT: too late! already finished voodoom!

[​IMG]

changed the shiny's heart/pins to orange. it just bothered me that it was the same as one of the arm colors.
  5. SgtWoodsy

SgtWoodsy

Not bad, but the needle is supposed to be facing the other way in the backsprite.

EDIT: Also, the head pins are facing the wrong way and are also sticking out of the wrong half in his backsprite.
  6. Wyverii

Wyverii "What I cannot create, I do not understand."
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

The Kitsunoh back posted for the current front is excellent. It is true that BW sprites don't have poses that would imply being in the middle of a motion such as the jumping one here but if we don't have the time to change the front it'll make an excellent back. Leading paw is the wrong side and there are a few perspective issues as it gets to the legs. Good contribution.

I have no idea what's going on with the voodoom above. In all respects what was done to the front is closer to a 2nd gen sprite than a 5th. Overdithered everywhere. Excellent shading from the original was removed or changed in odd ways such as on the leg and neck moving it towards an almost pillowshaded look. There are also pixel fragments in the outlines of parts, seemingly random black pixels peppered in with colours too light to meld it in with the outline correctly. The back suffers from the same problems as the front and a few odd proportions with the arms. I'm not going to lie, this is a bad attempt.

It would be faster to scrap and reattempt if you're intent on continuing the voodoom but I'd recommend you try something easier for a while and get your basics in shape. The artists here should be happy to help you out as much as possible. You've got potential but you seem to have picked up a lot of bad habits on the way.
  7. Kyuzeth

Kyuzeth

[​IMG]
    Here's my Krilowatt prevo. I call it Attowatt, but feel free to suggest names.

I tried hard for this and I know I'm not the best spriter, so you can always tell me some things I need to change.
  8. CTNC

CTNC

Not the best spriter? Um... I guess it's true if there's always somebody better than you, but this looks really good.
  9. McLuvdisc

McLuvdisc

Wow, these look great! The only one I'm kinda worried about is Syclant. In the new sprite, his lowermost pair of icicle wing things are far shorter and narrower than the original. In addition, I think the angle of the wings should be changed. In the new sprite, they're almost perpendicular to his spine (yeah, I know bugs don't have vertebrae, but you get the idea). That wasn't the way it was in the original. Finally, I'd like to see more of Syclant's face in the backsprite (especially those awesome icy mandibles) but of course that's just a personal preference. Other than that, I love the posing and the overall design. I can imagine that Syclant would be a very difficult sprite to remake (what with his odd body shape and loads of little details) and this spriter certainly pulled it off with aplomb.

Edit: I love your prevo, Darkhuaza!

Edit 2: I'd actually like to retract the point I made earlier about the angle of Syclant's wings. The spriter who did the remake was simply trying to stay faithful to the original front sprite, and overall I like their design better. No offense to Syclant's original spriter, but it doesn't make sense to have Syclant's wings spread out all around him in his frontsprite, then fold them back in the backsprite so you can see his face more clearly.
  10. Kyuzeth

Kyuzeth

Thank you very much, it means a lot to me.
  11. elementalheroshadow

elementalheroshadow

dude, i DO sort-of know what i'm doing as far as spriting goes (proof: http://elementalheroshadow2.deviantart.com/gallery/10369073). the dithering was an attempt at getting the texture of the fabric a voodoo doll would be made of. guess i failed there, huh? the back, yeah i screwed up on quite a few things. don't usually do backsprites honestly. it kinda shows. don't know how the hell i screwed up the pin, as it's sort of an obvious thing.

thanks though. i'll try to fix it best i can.
  12. Kyuzeth

Kyuzeth

Not really. Bellossom is smaller than Gloom - even smaller than Oddish - and Porygon2 is smaller than Porygon.
  13. KoA

KoA The very best...
    is an Artist Alumnus

In my defense, It was done in the style of Diamond and Pearl where the front sprite didn't necessarily mirror the back ones always. I did the wings like that because I wanted the player to see Syclan'ts face a bit. I do like Wyverii's reworking alot. She kept the charm of the originals while still making it unique.
  14. Wyverii

Wyverii "What I cannot create, I do not understand."
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

[​IMG]

Spiffy returns!

Cyclohm's done for now. Not much changed at the front, just some highlights shifted around.

As for syclant the size of the lowest set of wings was changed for two reasons. First I was incorperating some elements from both the original design which has tiny cross shaped lower wings and cartoons design. Second it shows off the abdomen more which would otherwise be completely covered. If anything my biggest concern would be with how cluttered the backsprite is, but if I am to keep the current front then there's not too much I can do about that. It's similar to how Fidgit's backsprite is cluttered too.
  15. LeviLamprey

LeviLamprey

The Syclant is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE improvement on Gen 4's odd, sketch-like sprite that is doing a hundred things at the same time. The clutterred-ness isn't an issue, but if the sprites end up animated then it'd be a huge nightmare to conduct.
    Cychlohm looks amazing (but that's a biased opinion: anything with Shield Dust=my hero), even thought he backsprite is facing oddly, the head design averts this and obviously it's deliberate.
  16. Tortferngatr

Tortferngatr

Additionally, getting these into individual sprites would certainly help us at ASB.
  17. Charmander

Charmander mfw i have a mane and am actually the sun
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Tried my hand at shiny Breezi....
    [​IMG]
  18. Albinoloon

Albinoloon

Made a Breezi prototype, I'll do the backsprites/shinies if you like it.
    [​IMG]
  19. IC3R.

IC3R.

I tried my hand at some new frontals for Kitsunoh:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I liked the idea of four on the floor, so that's what I went with. I also wanted to try a new color for the shiny variation... instead of the odd sickly green, I opted for an autumn-like orange. Just seems more appealing is all o 3 o

Working on the back sprites at this moment~
  20. Spenstar

Spenstar

Okay, the first image kinda failed on me, so I'll upload shiny Monohm again.

[​IMG]

Ta-da! :D
  21. shampoo

shampoo

I really like the voodoom sprite. Gj.
  22. iRossy

iRossy

What's Breezi the prevo of? ._.
    EDIT: Oh, is it Revenankh? Lol xD

That's a reaally awesome Attowatt. Back Sprite plox? ^.^
  23. Gerard

Gerard

No, it's Fidgit's prevo :3
  24. iRossy

iRossy

Oh wow I didn't even consider Fidgit because they're so different xD Thanks for the clarification :p
  25. Tortferngatr

Tortferngatr

It's good, although I still object. (I already made Plicowatt...:( )

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)