Creative (and good) Movesets Mk II (READ THE OP FIRST)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Cobaloin set looks really solid. I can't think of any real improvements off the top of my head and it looks pretty effective. Nicely done.

Zangoose certainly looks interesting but I'm curious as to why it hasn't been used if it has so much power. I suspect it's downfall comes down to its speed and and lack of bulk. It can't really take any of the powerful priority moves being thrown around in OU, and even a STAB, toxic-boosted Quick Attack is still weaker than CB Dragonite's ES, meaning it won't OHKO a lot of threats like Scizor's bullet punch and Brelooms Mach Punch will. That'd make it very prone to being revenge killed. Remember it also needs a turn in which for Toxic Orb to activate too, meaning it'll initially be fairly weak. Still it's an interesting concept I haven't seen explored too much and it probably deserves a closer look.

I think that Lanturn can indeed function well in OU with a Rest-Talk set. However, I don't think that running Volt-Switch on it is a very good idea because it means that once it goes to sleep it probably won't be waking up again. Because 33% of the time it'll draw Volt-Switch when asleep, it means your sleep counter will almost never expire, making Rest sort of a 1 time recovery, which isn't really a good thing. Instead I recommend running Thunderbolt or Discharge. Volt-Switch is cool and all but it goes together with Rest-Talk about as well as ketchup and peanut butter do.

That Chansey looks like a really good idea and it certainly looks like it can help Chansey get past a lot of its checks. However most of the Pokemon it beats are stall oriented, which is something to keep in mind when thinking about using Skill Swap. If your team has more trouble with offensive threats Thunder Wave might still be the better option.

That Gothitelle on the other hand just doesn't look like it'll work very well at all. Without defensive investment it won't find it easy to set up against much of anything, even with the aid of a scarf. And that scarf might not be much aid at all remember; the opponent is likely to use their move which is most effective against Gothitelle first, and that'll be what they get locked into against you making it challenging to set up. Due to Gothitelle's lack of resistances it's going to find very few Pokemon it can set up on in the first place. And even if you do set up, the reward is rather lackluster. Gothitelle's 95 SpA isn't going to win any awards even boosted as high as +4, and with barely any coverage due to being restricted to two slots, you'll still find many special walls walling you. Not to mention that any faster physical attacker will eat it for breakfast if you don't trick back the scarf, and if you do you lose ALL your ability to use coverage moves, making you even easier to wall. Overall it just seems like an inferior option to other CM users and a waste of Gothitelle's potential.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The thing is with that chansey you are giving them a decent ability when you skill swap. Reuniclus can just come in later when Chansey is at a lower amount of hp. It's definitely a great answer when they try to bring in reuniclus as their last pokemon so they can't switch out and remove the toxic status.

@ Jimbon, regarding that lanturn. I think it would benefit Lanturn if it were given more physical defensive EV spread. As it has key resistances/immunities to BoltBeam, scald, and flamethrower and the biggest hits you will be taking will probably be u-turns (or a + 1 Bug Buzz). It's definitely awesome burning stuff while they try to wear you down and then you rest :].

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It's also worth noting that Lanturn learns Heal Bell. Not only does this cut Rest short (if selected by Sleep Talk) but it also heals the entire team, making weather wars easier to win and status inducers like Jirachi easier to handle.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah if i were to use Lanturn in OU, i would run Rest / Sleep Talk / Scald / Heal Bell. With Heal Bell Lanturn is one of the few pokes that can viably run a RestTalk set, as it has a 33% chance of waking up in the first turn, and a ~56.5% to wake up in the second which is really nice.

Also about Skill Swap Chansey vs Reuniclus. It doesn't matter that it gets cured of Toxic when it switches out, as you can beat it 1 v 1 and this is all that matters. So, slowly beat every other poke, and let Reuniclus as the last mon, and you won.

I love the idea of that Sleep Talking/Heal Bell Lanturn, going to try that one.

I faced that exact Zangoose yesterday and had no problems with it at all - my team is pretty offensive though so it didn't even get a chance to activate its toxic orb. I think that may the biggest problem with it - if you don't let it have a free switch in, late game, with no priority users of your own left, it can't really do a whole lot.

Ive been testing Skill Swap Chansey a bit with some good success. Its a pretty niffty trick, one of my favorite things to do is skill swap magic bounce off espeon and poison it / set up on it (with something else). I haven't seen much reunicles, but interestingly, most of them doing even attempt to beat you once they see you have skill swap, very interesting.

It also seems like this ability could work equally well on Blissey.

One last one: Alexwolf you should have your ev spread on Chansey, max defense bold is pretty silly 160 HP / 252 Def / 96 SpD is the way to go, it avoids being 2HKOed by Tornadus-T's superpower after rocks 93% of the time, and avoids a 2HKO from specs Latio's psyshock, without rocks though (and max defense doesn't chance that one bit).

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah ScarfWynaut Blissey can use it too, but imo Blissey has more of a 4 mss, because i prefer to use her as a Wish passer. So 2 slots for Wish + Protect, one for S-Toss and one for a status move, so there is not really much space. And if you don't use Wish + Protect, you are better of using Chansey anyway.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus

Hariyama (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Whirlwind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Force Palm

Now you might be asking "Kata, what the hell is a Hariyama doing on my screen?" Well Hariyama is what I came up with to combat my team's Genesect & Heatran weakness; after about 30 battles with this guy my overall stats on PS went from pretty decent to pretty good. Hariyama has a sizable niche in OU as one of the few hard counters to the standard Genesect and, unlike Heatran, he's not at the mercy of Dugtrio. Thick Fat turns Heatran into an opportunity to spread some Paralysis and while he's no Jirachi, it's a Fighting-type that has a 1 in 3 chance to paralyze with Whirlwind to rid the field of Subs and/or Ghost-types and build hazard damage, but of course his often forgotten Base 120 Attack stat does put a little more 'umph' behind his Force Palms than you would expect.

Hariyama has a fair few qualities that set it apart from the rest of the Fighting-types; Whirlwind and the bulk to pull off RestTalk are the big ones. Whirlwind ensures that Pokemon like Gengar aren't going to be going much to Hariyama other than taking Stealth Rock damage and RestTalk keeps Hariyama in the game as well as keeping him from being a liability if he gets Burned. To add to that, Whirlwind and the constant threat of paralysis let Hariyama burn off sleep turns a little better than most RestTalkers as long as he doesn't rest again. Force Palm probably does sound like an odd choice for his attack, but Close Combat is counteractive to his goal of walling Pokemon and the rest of his attack options are...not really good. Superpower and Low Sweep are the most useable options he has but Force Palm's paralysis is too good to pass up, not just for the speed decrease but the chance that the opponent won't be able to move, giving me free switches and attacks. It's a lot like Scald, very dangerous even when resisted.

I think that should cover everything. Hariyama is a surprisingly useful Pokemon in this meta as long as he's running Thick Fat and a partner like Tyranitar or Jirachi to cover his Flying and Psychic weaknesses. Heal Bell/Aromatherapy helps too if you can afford to run it, but it's not necessary.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
after seeing both jimbon's shed shell/restalk heatran (tailor made to counter lavos sun) and the heal bell/restalk lanturn, i must say that i find it VERY interesting to see yet another restalker in this thread's recent posts. not that it's unoriginal or anything! i just find it very interesting, a curious pattern to say the least. it's intriguing how many mons have the niche of bulk and moveset with which to accomplish so much even in OU... that is, if only they had recovery, and restalk, however unreliable, gives them a chance to pull that off. restalking also works very nicely with phazing, just in general. i wonder what would happen if i tried to run multiple restalkers on a single team lol.

Cobalion @ Expert Belt
EVs: 28 Atk / 230 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Naive
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice
- Stealth Rock / Stone Edge / Taunt

All out attacker Cobalion is very good actually. Check out some calcs:

• HP Ice vs 252 Gliscor: 100.28 - 119.2%
  • HP Ice vs 200 Landorus-T: 102.71 - 120.86%
  • HP Ice vs 4 SpD Dragonite (w/o MS): 86.06 - 102.47%
  • HP Ice vs Naive Salamence: 114.5 - 134.74%
  • HP Ice vs 4 HP Breloom: 80.53 - 95.41%, ohko after SR, 1 LO round and ss damage while you easily tank one Mach Punch (69.96 - 82.97%)
  • Volt Switch vs 56 HP Gyarados: 82.02 - 97.39%, OHKO after SR and lefties
  • Volt Switch vs 252 HP Skarmory: 56.88 - 66.76%
  • Volt Switch vs 4 SpD Starmie: 62.45 - 74.32%
  • Close Combat vs 4 HP / 252 Blissey: 88.65 - 104.9%, ohko after SR
  • Close Combat vs 4 HP Terrakion: 100 - 117.9%
  • Close Combat vs 0 HP Heatran: 86.99 - 102.47%, ohko after SR 93.75% of the times

Cobalion is a very useful pivot for offensive teams, with it's useful resistances, awesome physical bulk and good speed. Cobalion is the closest thing you can get to a fast offensive Steel type that can keep momentum. He provides your team with a check to Outraging dragons, easily tanking even a +2 Outrage from all of them and ohkoing back with HP Ice. He also is a decent Gliscor / Landorus-T lure, as not many people expect HP Ice. He is also a wonderful Gyarados check, taking 52.01 - 61.3% from a +1 Waterfall and ohkoing back with Volt Switch (Gyarados can Sub up to take the Volt Switch, but then you get to go to your Scarfer that can outspeed and ohko Gyarados) after SR. Volt Switch is amazing for offensive teams, keeping momentum and damaging checks and counters, such as Starmie and Skarmory. He is also a very reliable SR setter, as his bulk allows him to set it up multiple times with ease. Finally a 4x resistance to SR, immunity to SS damage, Toxic and T-Spikes and no LO recoil mean that Cobalion is one of the most resilient pokes around.

In the last slot you can use Stone Edge if you alread have a SR setter, to break Gyarados's subs without switching out, deal better damage to Tornadus-T and Thundurus-T (the latter is ohkoes after SR) than HP Ice and prevent any Volcarona from setting up on you. Taunt is also a decent option to prevent any pesky Forretress, Skarmory and Deoxys-D from setting up on you.
You have too many EV's, just wondering which one to take off EV's from, if anyone knows please post

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Hey guys, remember this?

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Explosion

This beast wrecks the metagame. No, but seriously, with Garchomp's inevitable unbanning, the increasingly popular Tornadus-T, and both Dragonite and Tyranitar still in the top 6 for usage, why not use Offensive Trick Room Bronzong? It's a perfect counter to Chomp, checks Tornadus-T, beats Dragonite, and beats Tyranitar, all in one neat little package that explodes when you're done with it. Simply Trick Room, spam Gyro Ball and Earthquake, then on the last turn of TR, Explode. I guarantee you'll have killed at least one Pokemon, if not two or three, on the opposing team (considering you're facing offense; this set can be dead weight against stall, but still sets up TR nicely). Give it a shot.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 156 SAtk / 100 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald / Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Roar / Protect
- Toxic / Stealth Rock

STANDARD..D:

Just a little something I've been running on a Rain team. I've been surprised with how well it works, to be honest. Empoleon's actually pretty sturdy (this set can take Timid Volcarona's +1 HP Ground, which was the original point of the set) and with the Special Attack EVs it hits really hard.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
You have too many EV's, just wondering which one to take off EV's from, if anyone knows please post
er 28 + 230 + 252 = 510 which is the maximum number of EVs in game... it's just that those extra two in spatk are pointless (228 gives the same thing)

and about offensive TR zong... i know macho brace is a logical item choice, but is there actually anything bronzong can "outspeed" by wearing one? lefties or LO seems like a useful item there seeing as zong is already so damn slow that it's basically only gonna get "outsped" by a few things that would actually run minimum speed (TR cofagrigus, reuniclus, gyro ball ferrothorn, and slowbro)

EDIT: ooh good catch papita i forgot that it scaled with the factor of speed

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
Hey guys, remember this?

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Explosion

This beast wrecks the metagame. No, but seriously, with Garchomp's inevitable unbanning, the increasingly popular Tornadus-T, and both Dragonite and Tyranitar still in the top 5 for usage, why not use Offensive Trick Room Bronzong? It's a perfect counter to Chomp, checks Tornadus-T, beats Dragonite, and beats Tyranitar, all in one neat little package that explodes when you're done with it. Simply Trick Room, spam Gyro Ball and Earthquake, then on the last turn of TR, Explode. I guarantee you'll have killed at least one Pokemon, if not two or three, on the opposing team (considering you're facing offense; this set can be dead weight against stall, but still sets up TR nicely). Give it a shot.
I have tired out OTR in a HO team of mine, and he was very good. However i strongly recommend LO as the item of choice, as Bronzong needs all the power it can get. Not only LO ensures that any poke with 378 Speed or more will be taking more damage from LO Gyro Ball than Macho Brace Gyro Ball, but it also makes your EQ and Explosion wayyy stronger. For example LO Explosion does 87.43 - 103.07% to 4 HP Garchomp, 56.25% chance to OHKO after SR, which means that you can actually check SD Garchomp with Bronzong, while with Macho Brace you can't, as you are 2hkoed from a +2 Fire Fang, while you can't ohko back. There are many more examples, but i think it is clear that a poke with 89 Base Attack needs all the power it can get.

And Katakiri this Hariyama seems very interesting!

Hariyama (M) @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Whirlwind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Force Palm

Now you might be asking "Kata, what the hell is a Hariyama doing on my screen?" Well Hariyama is what I came up with to combat my team's Genesect & Heatran weakness; after about 30 battles with this guy my overall stats on PS went from pretty decent to pretty good. Hariyama has a sizable niche in OU as one of the few hard counters to the standard Genesect and, unlike Heatran, he's not at the mercy of Dugtrio. Thick Fat turns Heatran into an opportunity to spread some Paralysis and while he's no Jirachi, it's a Fighting-type that has a 1 in 3 chance to paralyze with Whirlwind to rid the field of Subs and/or Ghost-types and build hazard damage, but of course his often forgotten Base 120 Attack stat does put a little more 'umph' behind his Force Palms than you would expect.

Hariyama has a fair few qualities that set it apart from the rest of the Fighting-types; Whirlwind and the bulk to pull off RestTalk are the big ones. Whirlwind ensures that Pokemon like Gengar aren't going to be going much to Hariyama other than taking Stealth Rock damage and RestTalk keeps Hariyama in the game as well as keeping him from being a liability if he gets Burned. To add to that, Whirlwind and the constant threat of paralysis let Hariyama burn off sleep turns a little better than most RestTalkers as long as he doesn't rest again. Force Palm probably does sound like an odd choice for his attack, but Close Combat is counteractive to his goal of walling Pokemon and the rest of his attack options are...not really good. Superpower and Low Sweep are the most useable options he has but Force Palm's paralysis is too good to pass up, not just for the speed decrease but the chance that the opponent won't be able to move, giving me free switches and attacks. It's a lot like Scald, very dangerous even when resisted.

I think that should cover everything. Hariyama is a surprisingly useful Pokemon in this meta as long as he's running Thick Fat and a partner like Tyranitar or Jirachi to cover his Flying and Psychic weaknesses. Heal Bell/Aromatherapy helps too if you can afford to run it, but it's not necessary.
Brining this back up, because I can vouche for this one with solid evidence...

I tried out Katakiri's Hariyama variant on PO. It did very well, and was actually key to my winning this specific battle. Very well thought out, I like it. It beat BOTH Genesect, and Heatran, without even being afraid to stay in on them.

In my battle, you will also see Katakiri's Hariyama variant fends off Cloyster after one Shell Smash nicely, as well. If not for Hariyama being there, Cloyster would have likely swept the rest of my team.

(Please note, the last two Pokes on each side were Hariyama, and my opponents Gliscor, and it ended with Gliscor struggling to death. The boring stall war I eventually win begins on turn #45.)

Battle on Pokemon Replay Viewer

Below is the actual battle log.

Battle between SkipTG and D'ent42 started!

Tier: Wifi OU
Mode: Singles
Variation: +16, -16
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: Wifi Battle

Your team: Tentacruel / Alakazam / Salamence / Volcarona / Hariyama / Dugtrio
Opponent's team: Machamp / Cloyster / Genesect / Heatran / Dusknoir / Gliscor

SkipTG sent out Dugtrio!
D'ent42 sent out Dusknoir!
The foe's Dusknoir is exerting its Pressure!

Start of turn 1
Dugtrio used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around D'ent42's team!

The foe's Dusknoir used Will-O-Wisp!
Dugtrio was burned!

Dugtrio is hurt by its burn!

Start of turn 2
SkipTG called Dugtrio back!
SkipTG sent out Volcarona!

The foe's Dusknoir used Shadow Sneak!
Volcarona lost 46 HP! (12% of its health)

Volcarona restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 3
D'ent42 called Dusknoir back!
D'ent42 sent out Machamp!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Machamp!

Volcarona used Quiver Dance!
Volcarona's Sp. Att. rose!
Volcarona's Sp. Def. rose!
Volcarona's Speed rose!

Volcarona restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
The foe's Machamp restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 4
Volcarona used Psychic!
It's super effective!
The foe's Machamp lost 82% of its health!
The foe's Machamp's Sp. Def. fell!

The foe's Machamp used Stone Edge!
It's super effective!
Volcarona lost 374 HP! (100% of its health)
Volcarona fainted!

The foe's Machamp restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
SkipTG sent out Tentacruel!

Start of turn 5
Tentacruel used Ice Beam!
The foe's Machamp lost 23% of its health!
The foe's Machamp fainted!
Tentacruel is hurt by its Life Orb!

D'ent42 sent out Dusknoir!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Dusknoir!

The foe's Dusknoir is exerting its Pressure!

Start of turn 6
Tentacruel used Hydro Pump!
The foe's Dusknoir lost 50% of its health!
Tentacruel is hurt by its Life Orb!

The foe's Dusknoir used Earthquake!
It's super effective!
Tentacruel lost 241 HP! (80% of its health)
Tentacruel fainted!

The foe's Dusknoir restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
SkipTG sent out Alakazam!

Start of turn 7
It's super effective!
Alakazam lost 200 HP! (80% of its health)

Alakazam used Psyshock!
The foe's Dusknoir lost 41% of its health!

Start of turn 8
SkipTG called Alakazam back!
SkipTG sent out Dugtrio!

Dugtrio lost 87 HP! (41% of its health)

Start of turn 9
Dugtrio used Sucker Punch!
It's super effective!
The foe's Dusknoir lost 14% of its health!
The foe's Dusknoir fainted!

D'ent42 sent out Cloyster!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Cloyster!

Start of turn 10
Dugtrio used Stone Edge!
It's super effective!
The foe's Cloyster lost 21% of its health!

The foe's Cloyster used Shell Smash!
The foe's Cloyster's Defense fell!
The foe's Cloyster's Sp. Def. fell!
The foe's Cloyster's Attack sharply rose!
The foe's Cloyster's Sp. Att. sharply rose!
The foe's Cloyster's Speed sharply rose!
The foe's Cloyster restored its stats using White Herb!

Start of turn 11
The foe's Cloyster used Icicle Spear!
It's super effective!
Dugtrio lost 20 HP! (9% of its health)
Dugtrio fainted!
Hit 1 times!

SkipTG sent out Hariyama!

Start of turn 12
Hariyama lost 55 HP! (11% of its health)
Hariyama lost 58 HP! (11% of its health)
Hariyama lost 57 HP! (11% of its health)
Hariyama lost 54 HP! (10% of its health)
Hit 5 times!

Hariyama used Whirlwind!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Gliscor!
The foe's Gliscor was dragged out!

Hariyama restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
The foe's Gliscor's Toxic Orb activated!
The foe's Gliscor was badly poisoned!

Start of turn 13
The foe's Gliscor used Earthquake!
Hariyama lost 169 HP! (34% of its health)

Hariyama used Rest!
Hariyama went to sleep and became healthy!

The foe's Gliscor restored HP using its Poison Heal!

Start of turn 14
The foe's Gliscor used Substitute!
The foe's Gliscor made a substitute!

Hariyama is fast asleep!
Hariyama used Sleep Talk!
Hariyama used Force Palm!
It's not very effective...
The foe's Gliscor's substitute took the damage!

Start of turn 15
The foe's Gliscor used Protect!
The foe's Gliscor protected itself!

Hariyama is fast asleep!
Hariyama used Whirlwind!

Start of turn 16
Hariyama lost 159 HP! (32% of its health)

Hariyama woke up!
Hariyama used Whirlwind!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Cloyster!
The foe's Cloyster was dragged out!

Start of turn 17
Hariyama lost 28 HP! (5% of its health)
Hariyama lost 31 HP! (6% of its health)
Hariyama lost 30 HP! (6% of its health)
Hit 5 times!

It's super effective!
The foe's Cloyster lost 28% of its health!
The foe's Cloyster fainted!

D'ent42 sent out Gliscor!

Start of turn 18
The foe's Gliscor used Toxic!
Hariyama was badly poisoned!

Hariyama used Rest!

Start of turn 19
Hariyama lost 178 HP! (36% of its health)

Hariyama is fast asleep!
Hariyama used Rest!
But it failed!

Start of turn 20

Hariyama is fast asleep!
Hariyama used Whirlwind!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Genesect!
The foe's Genesect was dragged out!
The foe's Genesect's Download activates!
The foe's Genesect's Attack rose!

Start of turn 21
The foe's Genesect used Bug Buzz!
Hariyama lost 99 HP! (20% of its health)
The foe's Genesect is hurt by its Life Orb!

Hariyama woke up!
Hariyama used Rest!

Start of turn 22
D'ent42 called Genesect back!

Hariyama is fast asleep!
The foe's Gliscor lost 7% of its health!

Start of turn 23
Hariyama lost 166 HP! (33% of its health)

Hariyama is fast asleep!
The foe's Gliscor lost 8% of its health!

Start of turn 24
Hariyama lost 183 HP! (37% of its health)

Hariyama woke up!

Start of turn 25
Hariyama lost 177 HP! (35% of its health)

Hariyama used Rest!

Start of turn 26
But it failed!

Hariyama is fast asleep!
Hariyama used Rest!
But it failed!

Start of turn 27

Hariyama is fast asleep!

Start of turn 28

Hariyama woke up!
Hariyama used Whirlwind!

Start of turn 29

Hariyama used Whirlwind!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Heatran!
The foe's Heatran was dragged out!
The foe's Heatran is floating on a balloon!

Hariyama is hurt by poison!

Start of turn 30
The foe's Heatran used Earth Power!
Hariyama lost 122 HP! (24% of its health)

It's super effective!
The foe's Heatran lost 52% of its health!
The foe's Heatran's Air Balloon popped!

Start of turn 31
The foe's Heatran used Earth Power!
Hariyama lost 112 HP! (22% of its health)

Hariyama used Rest!

Start of turn 32
The foe's Heatran used Fire Blast!
Hariyama lost 123 HP! (25% of its health)

Hariyama is fast asleep!
Hariyama used Rest!
But it failed!

Start of turn 33
Hariyama lost 109 HP! (22% of its health)

Hariyama is fast asleep!
Hariyama used Rest!
But it failed!

Start of turn 34
The attack of the foe's Heatran missed!

Hariyama woke up!
It's super effective!
The foe's Heatran lost 35% of its health!
The foe's Heatran fainted!

Start of turn 35

Hariyama used Rest!

Start of turn 36
Hariyama lost 156 HP! (31% of its health)

Hariyama is fast asleep!

Start of turn 37

Hariyama is fast asleep!
Hariyama used Rest!
But it failed!

Start of turn 38

Hariyama woke up!
Hariyama used Rest!

Start of turn 39
Hariyama lost 160 HP! (32% of its health)

Hariyama is fast asleep!

Start of turn 40

Hariyama is fast asleep!
Hariyama used Rest!
But it failed!

Start of turn 41

Hariyama woke up!
Hariyama used Whirlwind!

Start of turn 42

Hariyama used Whirlwind!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Genesect!
The foe's Genesect was dragged out!
The foe's Genesect's Download activates!
The foe's Genesect's Attack rose!

Start of turn 43
The foe's Genesect used Thunderbolt!
Hariyama lost 145 HP! (29% of its health)
The foe's Genesect is hurt by its Life Orb!

The foe's Genesect lost 29% of its health!
The foe's Genesect is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

Start of turn 44
The foe's Genesect lost 25% of its health!
The foe's Genesect fainted!

Start of turn 45
Hariyama lost 156 HP! (31% of its health)

Hariyama used Rest!

Start of turn 46
SkipTG called Hariyama back!
SkipTG sent out Salamence!

It had no effect!

Start of turn 47
Salamence used Outrage!
The foe's Gliscor lost 42% of its health!

Salamence was badly poisoned!

Salamence is hurt by poison!

Start of turn 48

Salamence used Outrage!
Salamence calmed down!
Salamence became confused!

Start of turn 49
Salamence is confused!
Salamence used Outrage!
The foe's Gliscor lost 45% of its health!

Start of turn 50

Salamence is confused!
It hurt itself in its confusion!
Salamence lost 75 HP! (22% of its health)

Start of turn 51

Salamence is confused!
It hurt itself in its confusion!
Salamence lost 51 HP! (15% of its health)
Salamence fainted!

SkipTG sent out Alakazam!

Start of turn 52
Alakazam used Hidden Power!
It's super effective!
The foe's Gliscor's substitute faded!

Alakazam lost 50 HP! (20% of its health)
Alakazam fainted!

SkipTG sent out Hariyama!

SkipTG: Stall WAR!!!!!

Start of turn 53

Hariyama is fast asleep!
Hariyama used Rest!
But it failed!

Start of turn 54

Hariyama is fast asleep!
Hariyama used Rest!
But it failed!

Start of turn 55
Hariyama lost 177 HP! (35% of its health)

Hariyama woke up!

Start of turn 56

Start of turn 57

Hariyama used Rest!

Start of turn 58
The foe's Gliscor already has a substitute.

Hariyama is fast asleep!

Start of turn 59

Hariyama is fast asleep!

Start of turn 60

Hariyama woke up!
Hariyama used Whirlwind!
But it failed!

Start of turn 61

Hariyama used Whirlwind!
But it failed!

Start of turn 62

Hariyama used Whirlwind!
But it failed!

Start of turn 63

Hariyama used Whirlwind!
But it failed!

Start of turn 64
Hariyama is already poisoned.

Hariyama used Rest!

SkipTG: To help make this quick, how many total PP do you havve for all of your moves?
D'ent42: 7/8
D'ent42: you?
SkipTG: I have a grand total of 48 turns that I will survive, without question.

Start of turn 65
The attack of the foe's Gliscor missed!

Hariyama is fast asleep!

Start of turn 66

Hariyama is fast asleep!

Start of turn 67

Hariyama woke up!
Hariyama used Whirlwind!

Start of turn 68

Hariyama used Whirlwind!
But it failed!

Start of turn 69

Hariyama used Whirlwind!
But it failed!

Start of turn 70

Hariyama used Whirlwind!

Start of turn 71

Hariyama used Whirlwind!
But it failed!

Start of turn 72

Hariyama used Rest!

Start of turn 73

Hariyama is fast asleep!

Start of turn 74
But it failed!

Hariyama is fast asleep!

Start of turn 75

Hariyama woke up!
Hariyama used Whirlwind!
But it failed!

Start of turn 76

Hariyama used Whirlwind!

Start of turn 77

Hariyama used Whirlwind!
But it failed!

Start of turn 78

Hariyama used Whirlwind!
But it failed!

Start of turn 79

Hariyama used Whirlwind!

Start of turn 80

Hariyama used Whirlwind!
But it failed!

Start of turn 81

Hariyama used Rest!

Start of turn 82

Hariyama is fast asleep!

Start of turn 83

Hariyama is fast asleep!

Start of turn 84

Hariyama woke up!
Hariyama used Whirlwind!

Start of turn 85

Hariyama used Whirlwind!
But it failed!

Start of turn 86
Hariyama is already poisoned.

Hariyama used Whirlwind!
But it failed!

Start of turn 87
The foe's Gliscor used Struggle!
Hariyama lost 55 HP! (11% of its health)
The foe's Gliscor is hit with recoil!

SkipTG: gg

Start of turn 88
Hariyama lost 53 HP! (10% of its health)
D'ent42: gg

Hariyama used Whirlwind!
But it failed!

Start of turn 89
Hariyama lost 53 HP! (10% of its health)

Hariyama used Rest!

Start of turn 90
A critical hit!
Hariyama lost 106 HP! (21% of its health)

Hariyama is fast asleep!

Start of turn 91

Hariyama is fast asleep!

Start of turn 92
A critical hit!
Hariyama lost 111 HP! (22% of its health)

Hariyama woke up!
The foe's Gliscor's substitute faded!

Start of turn 93
A critical hit!
Hariyama lost 119 HP! (24% of its health)

The foe's Gliscor lost 0% of its health!
The foe's Gliscor fainted!

SkipTG won the battle!

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Alexwolf, do Swords Dance Garchomps actually run Fire Fang? I usually find myself running Aqua Tail to hit Gliscor, who's still up there in top 10. Not sure about other people, as SD Chomp isn't too common on suspect ladder - mostly ScarfChomp.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
Alexwolf, do Swords Dance Garchomps actually run Fire Fang? I usually find myself running Aqua Tail to hit Gliscor, who's still up there in top 10. Not sure about other people, as SD Chomp isn't too common on suspect ladder - mostly ScarfChomp.
Fire Fang is a must on SD Garchomp imo, if you don't want to get walled by Skarmory, and checked by Ferrothorn and Forretress, unless you use Garchomp in a rain team. And even +2 Aqua Tail 2hkoes Bronzong so it doesn't really matter.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Micol, 156 EVs in SpA isn't exactly standard on Specially defensive Empoleon, and neither is Hydro Pump.

I'm really interested in Kataraki's Hariyama to be honest - it looks like an excellent way of beating the threats he mentioned, as well as most of Lavos Sun. My only worry is how it would fare against Rain offense and common Dragon Dancers, although Whirlwind helps against the latter.

after seeing both jimbon's shed shell/restalk heatran (tailor made to counter lavos sun) and the heal bell/restalk lanturn, i must say that i find it VERY interesting to see yet another restalker in this thread's recent posts. not that it's unoriginal or anything! i just find it very interesting, a curious pattern to say the least. it's intriguing how many mons have the niche of bulk and moveset with which to accomplish so much even in OU... that is, if only they had recovery, and restalk, however unreliable, gives them a chance to pull that off. restalking also works very nicely with phazing, just in general. i wonder what would happen if i tried to run multiple restalkers on a single team lol.

Not only that but phasing loses its negative priority while under sleep talk. Fun for screwing with slow walls and boosters.
___

haha Lavos did you see my post in the chomp thread? I whole-heartedly agree that TR Zong needs to make a comeback in the near future... especially after losing a few pokes to one the other day.

Hariyama (M) @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Whirlwind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Force Palm

I had a sparring partner (friendly battles to test sets) in 4th gen that used that set a lot and I can vouch for it's effectiveness. It's difficult to KO (at least it was in 4th gen) and phasing both deals annoying damage and makes KO'ing it even more difficult.

Something just struck my mind:

Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Nature: Bold
- Softboiled
- S-Toss
- Toxic
- Skill Swap

This is the standard Chansey with Skill Swap instead of Stealth Rock / Heal Bell. Let's see what Chansey can do with Skill Swap...

It allows Chansey to beat CM Reuniclus 1 on 1 easily. Steal its Magic Guard, give it Toxic and go to town. It allows Chansey to beat SubToxic Gliscor. Come in on Gliscor, and then use Skill Swap, which works through Subs (i haven't seen this being disputed anywhere, but i already asked in the Research thread, and i am waiting for an answer), and watch Gliscor die from his own Toxic Orb, while you heal with the Toxic that he used on you. It lets Chansey escape from Gothitelle, Dugtrio and slow Wobbuffet. It allows Chansey to check BU Breloom. Come in, take everything he throws at you (except from Spore, but why would a Breloom waste Spore on something that is complete set-up bait anyway?) and use Skill Swap. Or do it if Breloom comes into Chansey on a double switch, etc. It allows Chansey to more easily beat Tentacruel in rain. Steal his Rain Dish, and you have instantly have lefties recovery, while Tentacruel can now easily be killed with S-Toss, no matter how many times he uses Protect (Toxic version still beat you, but slowing down his recovery pace is always nice). It allows Chansey to beat any Espeon (and Xatu). Use Skill Swap and then Toxic that bitch, forcing her out eventually (unfortiunately he will get cured when she switches out, due to Natural Cure, but you still beat it 1 on 1).

Anyway these are the main applications, but i am sure that there are more, albeit situational uses of Skil Swap. But i find it awseome how with one move (Skill Swap), Chansey is now able to deal with many threats for stall teams, such as Espeon and Reuniclus, while also making her virtually untrappable by Tickle + Pursuit sheningang and Reversal from Dugtrio, and RestTalk CM Gothitelle (she can still fuck you up with Trick though). So now that your stall team has Espeon, SubToxic Gliscor and CM Reuniclus covered, you have more flexibility with your other slots, insteaf of having to use specific mons to beat them.

What are your thoughts about Skill Swap Chansey?
Best thing about Skill Swap is that Toxic, even on a Poison Heal poke, still increases its power each turn, so you can skill swap against gliscor and imagine your opponent scream as their Gliscor loses 50% of its health XP

To be honest I really don't understand how Skill Swap could be viable. First of all, Chans / Bliss have insane 4MSS. Second, most things which come in against Blissey won't care about Skill Swap and may even appreciate it if they're statused. Third, even if you hit something like Gliscor, they can just switch out. Like, there are situations where it would be good, but, to me anyway, they're insignificant compared to being able to run WishProtect or SR instead.

The thing is, I have a massive Reunicles weakness which I really don't want to change my team around to fix. Skill swap Chansey / Blissey is a pretty good option for those people like me with an open slot that need a Reunicles counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)