Creative (and good) Movesets (READ THE OP FIRST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I told you to run DDLatios ages ago, Pimp.

If this Pokemon is not in the OP, then quite frankly it deserves its own analysis. There's nothing impractical about wielding perfect coverage (like Garchomp) bar the odd Air Balloon Heatran stopping you in your tracks. I think it would be wiser to run Naive/Hasty/Naughty as your nature.

Remember that you need Stealth Rock support for the OHKO on certain Jirachi and Tyranitar. It could use Spikes as well but Latios is predominently offensive, so finding room for a "spike-stacker" may not be ideal.

I still prefer the Choice Specs set because on paper DDLatios at +1/+1 fails to meet the powerful standards of Draco Meteor. The main selling point is that Latios lures the likes of Heatran, Jirachi and Tyranitar. To highlight the nature again, using -Def makes you super-vulnerable to Scizor's Bullet Punch.

If I recall correctly, I gave up on the set once I realised without an Attack-boosting natue, Earthquake failed to OHKO some Terrakion.

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
Hey Guys, what's really good :pimp:
I have also been testing a Dragon Dance Latios set which seems to work well kind of as a late game sweeper when Scizor is gone. The set is something like this.

Latios @ Life Orb
200 ATK, 252 Spe, 56 SpA
Brave (+Atk,-Def)
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Hidden Power [Fire]
-Earthquake

It seems really impractical, and the only real reason I use it is for the surprise attack element. LO Bluffs the Choice Item until you hit something. If I remember correctly, it outspeeds Timid Venu in the sun after one Dragon Dance. Outrage is for stab and Earthquake is really there as a filler. Hidden Power Fire is for things like Ferrothorn and Skarmory who would otherwise wall this thing. It is not extremely powerful because it doesn't have the highest base attack stat, but it is still fun to use sometimes ^^.
Let me know what you guys think ^^

Brave actually decreases your speed not your def making the natures Taylor suggested much better. Still a very cool set!

I think blametruth used a similar set before and it does pretty good. Also i was running some calcs and does wonders against some of his usual counters (a +1 outrage can 2hko chansey). Yes taylor is right latios needs SR support and some sun doesn´t hurt to power up hp fire. But where taylor is wrong is that a +1 EQ kills terrakion effortesly. Ttar can survive it though so keep an eye on that

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This Terrakion was at full HP and may have not fully invested in Attack to bulk up its Substitute.

Though this was on more than one occasion, but remember Naive Latios gets around 420 Attack after one Dragon Dance. With Life Orb you only barely OHKO and sometimes you will need to be aware you're not guaranteed.

You might also need Spikes for most Jirachi, though offensive versions are as similar to Terrakion on paper; with Tyranitar however it naturally survives non-stab Earthquakes, even on Choice Scarf sets.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
252 HP/120 Def/136 SpDef
Nature: Calm (+SpDef - Atk)
Ability: Unaware

-Substitute
-Toxic
-Stockpile
-Recover

A lot of my teams have had trouble with sweepers who set up on me since I usually use defensive teams, so I played around with Quagsire's moves and got this. Once Quagsire is in, Toxic the opponent's Pokemon or use Substitute on the predicted switch. Since the opponent will be forced to break Quagsire's sub, it gives you a free turn to use Toxic or to (almost always) safely switch in your own Pokemon and gain the advantage. Stockpile is for building Quagsire's defenses, and recover is obviously used for recovering HP. After a few Stockpiles, the sub becomes extremely difficult to take down allowing you to easily toxic stall the opponent. Earthquake or a water attack can also be used for either Substitute or Stockpile for an attack, but it'll be doing almost nothing to the other Pokemon.

there are two things that stop your set cold: steel types and taunt users. Also you can get perish songed or encored or anything

Yeah it's got plenty of flaws, so having good teammates is really important. An offensive fire type like Infernape or Victini is a perfect partner for it since they don't care about grass Pokemon, Taunt, etc.

I dunno if I'd really call it creative.. but

Raikou @ Expert Belt
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Thunderbolt
- Weather Ball
- Aura Sphere
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Grass]

This guy right here. He's saved my ass so many times. A ton of OU team are unprepared for him, with his insane coverage. You obviously use him on a weather team. In my experience, he works best on Sun teams and Hail if you're a maniac like myself.

Thunderbolt for STAB. Weatherball for things that resist your STAB, because if I'm not mistaken, it hits harder. Aura Sphere is just really nice for Ferrothorns on Rain teams or finishing off weakened TTars. HP Ice for Gliscor, dragons, etc. Dat boltbeam. I use HP grass on Hail teams because I already have enough ice on the team obviously. This Raikou is really good at bluffing a choice item for two reasons. One, "Raikou in OU? It must be choiced, why else would this guy use it". Two, since it needs to be Rash, it hits pretty damn hard, especially if you nail something with a SE move. My favourite thing is that he outspeeds positive base 100's even with the neutral nature!

This guy has just been a really solid poke for me

I dunno if I'd really call it creative.. but

Raikou @ Expert Belt
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Thunderbolt
- Weather Ball
- Aura Sphere
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Grass]

This guy right here. He's saved my ass so many times. A ton of OU team are unprepared for him, with his insane coverage. You obviously use him on a weather team. In my experience, he works best on Sun teams and Hail if you're a maniac like myself.

Thunderbolt for STAB. Weatherball for things that resist your STAB, because if I'm not mistaken, it hits harder. Aura Sphere is just really nice for Ferrothorns on Rain teams or finishing off weakened TTars. HP Ice for Gliscor, dragons, etc. Dat boltbeam. I use HP grass on Hail teams because I already have enough ice on the team obviously. This Raikou is really good at bluffing a choice item for two reasons. One, "Raikou in OU? It must be choiced, why else would this guy use it". Two, since it needs to be Rash, it hits pretty damn hard, especially if you nail something with a SE move. My favourite thing is that he outspeeds positive base 100's even with the neutral nature!

This guy has just been a really solid poke for me
Yeah you're not the first to use that set. In fact, I already posted in on a different topic on this same board (Using Pokemon in seemingly unfavorable weather conditions), and I had seen it posted somewhere else as a hail abuser before that (I can't remember where).

So while it is somewhat unorthodox, it isn't new. Very potent though of course, it's a tried and proven set.

Whimsicott (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Switcheroo
- Hurricane
- Giga Drain
- U-turn/Hidden Power Ground

Most people forget that Whimsicott even learns attacking moves. Some people are surprised it learns Hurricane. Those people usually let their virizion, breloom or whatever die to a SE choice specs boosted hurricane. Giga drain is useful to nail those pesky gastrodons and rotoms that give rain teams problems. U-turn.... i guess everyone knows what u-turn does at this point. Hidden Power Ground is useful to hit those steel types that attempt to wall you (hp fire isn´t recommended because you are using this on rain). Priority Switcheroo can come in handy as a failsafe against set up sweepers or to cripple some walls.

Knight of Cydonia

I COULD BE BANNED!
@papita - when using that set do you not find it lacking in power? Its most powerful move doesn't get STAB and it's working off of a very low base 77 SpA, and it will be doing even less damage if you trick your specs.

Yeah it can be a little bit underwhelming against bulkier targets but its offensive power is competent enough to give offensive teams trouble and it has surprisingly good SE coverage. But yeah you really need hazards support if you don´t want things to live with smidgens.

I asked this yesterday in the PO chat, but does anyone think its a "creative" idea to use Heatproof on Bronzong? Nobody (bar noobs) would ever use EQ or another ground type move on it. Obviously you wouldnt come in on one though. I dont use Zong so idk if its any good to use, but i'm just putting an idea in your head.

I asked this yesterday in the PO chat, but does anyone think its a "creative" idea to use Heatproof on Bronzong? Nobody (bar noobs) would ever use EQ or another ground type move on it. Obviously you wouldnt come in on one though. I dont use Zong so idk if its any good to use, but i'm just putting an idea in your head.
It is a bad idea to use Heatproof. The moment your opponent uses Spikes, the game is up. Ordinarily, Bronzong won't take Spikes damage, but Heatproof Zong does.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Also, using heatproof zong means that you can't switch in on earthquake. It's a choice thing, but you generally shouldn't use it.

Machoke -BUK Bulky utility Knocker-

NoGuard @Eviolite
208 atk 116 def 184 spdef // Adamant

-Dynamic Punch
-Knock Off
-Ice Punch/Stone Edge
-Rest / Substitute

Comments: Main idea of the set, disarm and survive. Take all those nasty leftovers and scarves/specs/bands from the switchins. Makes a great lead thanks to dynamic punch and its improved bulk.

I've been testing this in the UU metagame and it actually works to some extent. If rest is used it relies heavily on clerics to wake him up. Otherwise substitute is for cleaning and avoid prediction. Machamp could be used too, with lefties or chestorest

Also, using heatproof zong means that you can't switch in on earthquake. It's a choice thing, but you generally shouldn't use it.
you know whats even better than heatproof bronzong?

air balloon levitate bronzong.

if a competitive player sees a bronzong with an air balloon, he will assume "oh its a heatproof bronzong" and wont use fire moves on it as opposed to ground moves. so once they get rid of the air ballon, they will spam earthquakes, only to find out that it has levitate. this is even better in rain

but seriously no. levitate and leftovers are the best options for tank bronzong

Knight of Cydonia

I COULD BE BANNED!
@.-Lucky You say you tested your Machoke in UU, but since this is an OU thread it would definitely help you find out if it is a viable set by testing it in OU instead.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Machamp could be used too, with lefties or chestorest
What's the point of using Machoke over Machamp? You should specify what are Machoke's selling points over its fully evolved form. This also applies to UU by the way.

Hey Guys, what's really good :pimp:
I have also been testing a Dragon Dance Latios set which seems to work well kind of as a late game sweeper when Scizor is gone. The set is something like this.

Latios @ Life Orb
200 ATK, 252 Spe, 56 SpA
Brave (+Atk,-Def)
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Hidden Power [Fire]
-Earthquake

It seems really impractical, and the only real reason I use it is for the surprise attack element. LO Bluffs the Choice Item until you hit something. If I remember correctly, it outspeeds Timid Venu in the sun after one Dragon Dance. Outrage is for stab and Earthquake is really there as a filler. Hidden Power Fire is for things like Ferrothorn and Skarmory who would otherwise wall this thing. It is not extremely powerful because it doesn't have the highest base attack stat, but it is still fun to use sometimes ^^.
Let me know what you guys think ^^
I really hate to spoil the love this set is getting, but this is a near ripoff of a Platinum Battle Frontier Latios (the 3rd last Latios set). I'm sorry if yours, and GameFreak's thinking coincide, but I can no longer call this creative.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just pointing out that its "creative" as its "outside the norm". DD Latios is almost never seen, and its highly possible that this person didn't even know that a similar set had already been "created" by nintendo

FFS stop nitpicking an actual half decent nomination for a creative moveset (its not even the exact same set ffs), and leave him alone, rather than bitching about a quality creative moveset.

Also js its an exact same set, you will notice different, items, moves, nature, evs and for christs sake I don't actually know why im bothering explaining this to you lol, just lay off him

Just pointing out that its "creative" as its "outside the norm". DD Latios is almost never seen, and its highly possible that this person didn't even know that a similar set had already been "created" by nintendo

FFS stop nitpicking an actual half decent nomination for a creative moveset (its not even the exact same set ffs), and leave him alone, rather than bitching about a quality creative moveset.

Also js its an exact same set, you will notice different, items, moves, nature, evs and for christs sake I don't actually know why im bothering explaining this to you lol, just lay off him
overreaction much? lol

Here's a creative set btw:

Scizor (M) @ Flying Gem
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe/ 4 HP
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics

The main reason this set is useful is that it beats SD Scizor's non-steel-type counters much more cleanly. It easily 1hko's Jellicent with acrobling, can 2hko Gliscor with Acrobatics even after Poison Heal recovery, and still is strong enough to beat the bulky psychics. It needs Spikes to ko spdef jirachi, but its sweep isn't stopped by jellicent anymore. It also gives you an out vs. things like Conkeldurr who you'd be forced to use Superpower against and wind up being "revenged" by drain punch+mach punch, and keeps your health up by not having LO so you're revenged/worn down less easily. Pairs up great with Balloon Heatran, Specs Toed, and your own trapper like Magnezone who eliminates stuff like Skarmory.

I have a question about Cherrim's ability. Is it for double/triple battles only or is it a party buff? I'm confused on it, because if it's for party, I have a pretty good setup for a Darmanitan sweep using Cherrim. If only it knew Baton Pass...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)