"Discretion is the better part of valor"-- OU RMT

Well, hello there. I've been battling competitively for only a few weeks, but I'm not new to it. I've been looking into competitive battling for up to two years, and since I finally got my wi-fi to work, the "dream" has become reality. So, I downloaded shoddy to get the real feel of it. Thsi team is great, and I knwo that, but for soem reason, there are som problems I just can't point out. This is my second successful team so far, but I still think there could be some fixing done... So, any help is appreciated! Hope you liek the thread. :]

As you can see while reading, much of my success rides on my prediction skills. Hence the Thread title.

Adding Mamoswine made my team great, but I coudl still use a lot of help, so when I actually make this team on my Platinum game, there's nothign wrong with it.

At a Glance

---

Bold = Changes, unless used on moves [in the paragraph], Pokemon's names, or titles.

---

Metagross @ Lum Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/238 Atk/20 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash

A great, overused OU lead overall. Has great typing, defenses, and a lot of bulk in general. I chose not to use Explosion partly because I'm not a very big fan of it. Earthquake was chosen to get other Metagross leads out of the way. He has more Speed EVs than the typical set says, mainly to outspeed opposing lead metas. Meteor Mash used to be Rock Slide, but I changed it because a super effective rock attack does just as much damage as Meteor Mash comign from Metagross. This set works great when up against Ninjask and Yanmega leads. They usually Protect/Sub till 25% hp, and then run the hell out of there. I use my predicting skills for this. I use Meteor Mash until that 25% mark, and then Bullet Punch for the KO. It is extremely potent... And annoying to the one getting hit! Stealth Rock is the obvious choice, and SR is... almost standard for most teams.

---

Arcanine (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 198 Atk/252 Spd/60 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Overheat
- Extremespeed
- Flare Blitz
- HP Ground

Yup, a fire type that isn't Heatran. Does that make you mad? Well, sorry. I don't like Heatran all that much, and Arcanine fits better with my team. Overheat is it's only Special attack. With the Sp. Atk EVs, it can OHKO Scizor and 2HKO Celebi. Extremespeed is my favorite move for him. I bring him in on anything that's almsot dead [Usually fun to bring him in on water types, to ensure they don't switch.] and Extremespeed. It's always a great thing to have. Flare Blitz is his best physical STAB move, and it's going to hurt anything that doesn't resist it. If I know the opponent has a heatran, I can predict the switch by using HP Ground, dealing significant damage to Heatran. Only thing I have to watch out for is CS Heatran.

---

Milotic (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP/6 SAtk/252 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Surf
- Mirror Coat
- Recover
- Dragon Pulse

Haha, I love her so much. Mirror Coat is always a surprise to Jolteon and Zapdos, and it always makes me happy to see them go down after getting there attacks reflected back at them. The nature and Sp. Def. EVs allow it to take a hit from specs Jolt, as well as specs Zapdos. She's pretty much a special wall with some offensive capabilites. One of my favorite things about her is-- She can take a 6x boosted Dragon Pulse from Latias! Mirror Coat is deifinitely an unexpected move, and with some predictive genius, it's a great move to pull off. Recover is obvious for a wall, as recovery is never a bad thing. Surf is a powerful STAB move, and coming off base 100 Sp. Atk., it does some considerable damage. Dragon Pulse counters Kindgra, who Ice won't affect.

---

Porygonz @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Tri Attack
- Thunderbolt
- HP Fighting
- Dark Pulse

With Adaptability, Tri Attack gets 160 BP with a 20% chance of Burn, Paralysis, or freezing. That's no doubt awesome. Thunderbolt OHKOes Gyarados, while Dark Pulse offers great type coverage with my other moves. HP Fighting even adds to that coverage, getting rid of those high Defense Rock and Dark types that CC can't get through. Definitely an important member of my team.

---

Mamoswine (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Stone Edge
- Body Slam
- Earthquake

I replaced Kingdra with him. He's practically a counter to many of my previous threats. Stone Edge gets rid of Zapdos, Ice Shard 2HKOs Latias [If he dies, I always have Gallade's Night Slash to back me up.] I chose Body Slam over Superpower for the 30% paralysis, since i don't have Thudner Wave on my team. Mamoswine also holds the strongest STAB Earthquake in the game, so why not add it? He's definitely helped me counter a lot of pokemon who were previously my counters.

---

Gallade (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Psycho Cut
- Trick
- Night Slash

This guy has saved me more than once. If he's the last one stadning, he can easily take out 4-5 Pokemon providing they don't resist the Choiced Attack. Close Combat is the Best fighting type move out there, and works like a charm coupled with Choice Scarf. Psycho Cut is obviously STAB, and a high Critical Hit rate is never a bad thing. I used to have Leaf Blade instead of Trick. After realizing CC does just as much damage as Leaf Blade on Swampert, I switched it with Trick. Trick is only used if a wall is brought out, otherwise, I liek to keep my Scarf. Night Slash is another CritRate move, and it works great against anything weak to it. With it's high Crit rate, a crit Night Slash OHKOes Latias! Definifitely soemthign I need.

---

Typing

My favorite thing about the team. With the addition of Mamoswine, the typing isn't as awesome, but it's still great. No 4X weaknesses, three Scizor Bullet Punch Walls, resistance to toxic, and someone with Flash Fire. There are also no glaring weaknesses, and for the weaknesses I do have, there's a counter for them [Barring Ground.]

---

Threat list:

Easily taken care of.
Gives me problems, but I can deal with it.
A huge problem.

Azelf: Explosion is annoying, but not really a problem. Gallade OHKOes with Night Slash, and gets the first hit usually.

Breloom: Overheat from Arcanine is a OHKO.

Celebi: Grass Knot is annoying against Milotic, but I wont' be bringing her out against her anyway. Overheat 2HKOs.

Dugtrio: Miltoic can typically OHKO him before he OHKOes me.

Electivire: Mamoswine walls him, unless he gets Cross Chop, which can be a problem. Metagross can also Earthquake him to death, usually surviving at least one hit.

Empoleon: Gallade, anyone?

Flygon: Milotic/PorygonZ with Ice Beam ftw.

Gengar: Gallade can outspeed and OHKO with Psycho Cut.

Gliscor: Mamoswine gets rid of him.

Gyarados: Thunderboooooolt.

Heatran: Gallade can CC while outspeeding even the Choice Scarf sets.

Heracross: Arcanine gets rid of this guy easily.

Infernape: He's not a huge threat, but CC and fire moves are a problem together, especially with him being a common lead, and Metagross being my lead.

Jirachi: TRICK. All right, Trick is annoying, but it's no big deal. Arcanine gets rid of her.

Kingdra: Milotic pretty much walls him, and can counter with Dragon Pulse.

Latias: With Mamoswine on my team, he's down for red to orange. Ice Shard 2HKOs, and if that doesn't get the job done, I have Night Slash and Ice Beam, as well as Miltoic's Dragon Pulse.

Lucario: Arcanine pretty much outspeeds him and can OHKO/2HKO with Flare Blitz or overheat.

Machamp: UGH DYNAMICPUNCH. I have to get Gallade in ASAP against this guy to Psycho Cut away.

Magnezone: He can easily kill Metagross with Magnet Pull, and it's hard to get Arcanine in there to use Overheat.

Mamoswine: Not much of a problem, as Overheat 2HKOs it.

Metagross: As a lead, my Metagross outspeeds the standard, so Earthquake away!

Ninjask: Read Metagross on my team list.

Porygon-Z: If he gets Choice Scarf, then he becomes a problem. Other than that, I have Gallade CC.

Rhyperior: Ice Shard ftw?

Roserade: Gallade gets rid of her with Psycho Cut very easily.

Rotom-A: He's annoying. I don't know why, but he's VERY annoying to my team. I can use strong attacks against him, but he's still hard to get down.

Salamence: Ice Shard = OHKO.

Scizor: Overheat ftw!

Snorlax: He's hard to get down, but CC can OHKO him.

Starmie: I'm often brought to a stall war with her at the end of battles with Milotic, and it's definitely annoying. She can use thunderbolt and resist Surf/Ice Beam, too.

Suicune: Suicune? Really? Hm, Thudnerbolt is my best bet here. CM and RestTalk versions are a huge problem.

Togekiss: Paraflinch is annoying, but not that hard to take down or anything.

Tyranitar: Gallade/PorygonZ.

Weavile: Gallade, again.

Yanmega: Metagross.

Zapdos: Mamoswine is my main counter, resisting Thunderdbolt. Heat Wave is a problem, but Ice Shard can 2HKO, and Stone Edge is my other option. It can still give me problems though.

Changes made in bold

Porygonz @ Choice Specs
- Tri Attack
- Thunderbolt
- HP Fighting
- Ice Beam

Obviously, my main special sweeper. First of all, you'll probably notice Hyper Beam. It may seem pretty dumb, due to the recharge turn. However, it can OHKO almsot ANYTHING that doesn't resist it. Coming off of 607 Sp. Atk and being boosted by Adaptability, that's some utter pwnage right there. Tri Attack is practically the less Uber version of that, without the recharge turn. Hyper Beam is usually only used as a desperate attempt to get throguh anything I can't KO otherwise. The BoltBeam offers wonderful coverage, so there's no reason not to have it on my main special sweeper!

-
In my honest opinion, HP Fighting is going to allow you better type coverage than Hyper Beam. It helps you with pesky steel types like Magnezone, where as Hyper Beam, nor any of your other moves, will cover that. Also, what's the point in having 2 normal type attacks? You have a chance of Burn/Paralysis/Freeze using Tri-Attack, so I'd just stick with that one

Now as for your Latias problem, an Ice Beam from PorygonZ might actually do the trick (considering Latias is weak to Ice because of its Dragon typing)
I may also recommend a Life Orb/Scarfed Pokemon with Outrage
Preferably a Mence or Flygon

I'll try out HP fighting and see how that works.

As for Latias, don't forget her high Special Defense, as well as higher speed than PorygonZ

I'll try out HP fighting and see how that works.

As for Latias, don't forget her high Special Defense, as well as higher speed than PorygonZ
I was thinkin a Scarfer with Outrage or a Life Orb DD Mence with it x]
You could also go for a fighting type with Stone Edge to see how that works?
Lol

I was thinkin a Scarfer with Outrage or a Life Orb DD Mence with it x]
You could also go for a fighting type with Stone Edge to see how that works?
Lol
Gallade is my Scarfer right now, and that crit with Night Slash can OHKO Latias, hoping that it getsa in. If not, Extremespeed gets the job done, but it's still a problem. I'll try Mence though.

EDIT: I think Mamoswine practically perfected this team.

Hey there Jeddi-Kun, it's Fate from Shoddy.

The team is looking nice. You're lacking in Fighting Resistances D: I would replace Mamoswine or PorygonZ with a this Salamence:

Salamence@Life Orb
Nature: Naive
Item: Life Orb
80 Atk/252 SpA/176 Spe
• Earthquake
• Fire Blast
• Draco Meteor
• Roost/Outrage

This gives you a nice Fighting resistance coupled with Intimidate and allows you to a lot of damage to any team without a Cresselia. Whichever choice user you drop is fine, but regarding both PorygonZ and Gallade. In addition it out-speeds the other Base 100s and more importantly Lucario who can sweep this team quite easily if it gets an SD under its belt.

I'm fairly sure Gallade's Close Combat does a number on Swampert; 38.15-44.89 is the damage on a standard MixPert. I wouldn't consider switching Swampert into Gallade anytime soon. I strongly advise dropping leaf blade on it for Trick. Sure it's an annoying move but it will tear Stall limb from limb and let you handle any set up Pokemon. At least test it. If you drop Mamo over PorygonZ I would also suggest Trick on it. PorygonZ learns it too and It has no hope otherwise of getting past Blissey.

Regarding PorygonZ, Ice/Thunderbolt is really a poor option. Your Specs Tri Attack 1HKOs 0 HP/0 SpD Salamence with what the damage calculations say is a minimum of 107%! Instead of focusing on BoltBeam replace it with Tri Attack/Dark Pulse/HP Fighting. This hits Ttar/Steels and Ghosts who are immune to your Tri Attack. The point of Choice Specs and Choice Band is to hit with neutrality to do the most damage, not hit Super Effective on certain things. My suggestions do just that. With your last free move slot, Trick helps it with walls that come in and try to take the hit.

As for Milotic, Vaporeon can run this and is superior at what Milotic does.

Vaporeon@Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Water Absorb
188 HP/252 Def/68 Spe
• Surf
• Ice Beam
• Mirror Coat/Protect
• Wish

The explanation of Vaporeon over Milotic is clear. Milotic has a hard time against Infernape's Grass Knot as it is quite heavy. Vaporeon on the other hand is very light and takes very minimal damage from Infernape's Grass Knot. In addition, Wish lets Vaporeon heal members of your team which makes it a real team player. Also, Dragon Pulse being able to hit Kingdra is a poor benchmark; Kingdra outside of rain are usually physically based, and Milotic's defenses are paper thin when it's trying to handle Dragons, Infernape, AND Heatran. Simply put Vaporeon does the job better unless you're going for Hypnosis :\

As for Arcanine, I'd like to see some way for the little guy to be able to hit Scarf Heatran, seeing as how you're using Flash Fire over Intimidate. Unfortunately HP Ground is it's only way.

In any case, I know you're using this team on Wifi, so I'm trying not to make suggestions with Pokemon that could be difficult to obtain. Best of luck,

Fate

I went with Trick on Gallade, and it does work pretty nicely. It's a bit situational, but it works great when it can.

If I were to get rid of Ice Beam/Thunderbolt on PorygonZ, that makes it extremely hard to bring Gyarados down.

Arcanine has HP Ground now... I don't know why I didn't have it there eariler. Haha.

And actually, Milotic can take 3 hits from MixNape's Grass Knot, and it's the smae with Celebi's. She can only take two from Empoleon, but Recover fixes that. And, for some reason, I prefer Milotic over Vaporeon. I honestly don't know why,m but after tryign her for a few battles, the results weren't as good.

No fighting resistance? Look at Gallade carrying Psycho Cut. =P

Damage Calcs say Milotic takes anywhere from 75.63%-89.34% damage from a Nasty Plotted LO Grass Knot off Infernape. This means if Milotic has switched into Stealth Rock twice, Grass Knot OHKOs.

You are underestimating PorygonZ's Tri Attack. PorygonZ's current Tri Attack does a minimum of 88.82% damage to Gyarados standard LO Gyarados. With Stealth Rock, it is a sure OHKO. Consider this; Tri Attack hits Pokemon (In this case Waters) for 160 Base damage off 405+1 SpA. Thunderbolt hits off the same 405+1 for 190. It's foolish to waste a slot on Thunder, when Bulky Waters are 2HKOd upon switching in and are slower. Anything that's faster will have a hard time with Tri Attack/Hidden Power Fighting/Dark Pulse.

Regarding using Gallade as your only fighting "resistance" :\

•*Mixape's Close Combat which is only coming off of 260 Atk, does 47.12% - 55.40%
• Restalk Machamp's Dynamic Punch does 45.68% - 53.96%
• Lucario can KO Gallade with both LO Close Combat and then LO Extreme Speed or a +2 LO Extreme Speed.

Gallade can't switch into anything more than once; It's poor defenses just don't cut it as a Fighting Type counter D:

Milotic (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP/6 SAtk/252 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Surf
- Mirror Coat
- Recover
- Dragon Pulse

Haha, I love her so much. Mirror Coat is always a surprise to Jolteon and Zapdos, and it always makes me happy to see them go down after getting there attacks reflected back at them. The nature and Sp. Def. EVs allow it to take a hit from specs Jolt, as well as specs Zapdos. She's pretty much a special wall with some offensive capabilites. One of my favorite things about her is-- She can take a 6x boosted Dragon Pulse from Latias! Mirror Coat is deifinitely an unexpected move, and with some predictive genius, it's a great move to pull off. Recover is obvious for a wall, as recovery is never a bad thing. Surf is a powerful STAB move, and coming off base 100 Sp. Atk., it does some considerable damage. Dragon Pulse counters Kindgra, who Ice won't affect.

---

Porygonz @ Choice Specs
- Tri Attack
- Thunderbolt
- HP Fighting
- Dark Pulse

With Adaptability, Tri Attack gets 160 BP with a 20% chance of Burn, Paralysis, or freezing. That's no doubt awesome. Thunderbolt OHKOes Gyarados, while Dark Pulse offers great type coverage with my other moves. HP Fighting even adds to that coverage, getting rid of those high Defense Rock and Dark types that CC can't get through. Definitely an important member of my team.

---

Threat list:

Flygon: Milotic/PorygonZ with Ice Beam ftw.

Rhyperior: Ice Shard ftw?

With the EV spread your Milotic has, and the lack of speed your Porygon-Z has, Outrage will reck them both on the switch in. Flygon typically carries the Choice Scarf or the Choice Band and enjoys Outraging late-game. But that's what you have Metagross and Mamoswine for, right? =D

Also, just use Earthquake to take down Rhyperior rather than Ice Shard. They're both supereffective and STAB'd, but killing a Rhyperior with a 40BP instead of a 100BP move is no way to get rid of him in a hurry. =p

Probably just typos, but I want to make sure you knew.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)