First OU Sun Team

This is my first Sun Team, and am quite new to competitive battling with my own strategies. I came with this team, and please tell me what you think of it. It's called California Girls.

SunBro (Ninetales) @ Red Card
Trait: Drought
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Hypnosis
- Roar
- SolarBeam
- Fire Blast

This is my lead, as you would suggest. It is how I get my sun out, thus boosting the team. I use Red Card because it's unexpected, and if someone uses any priority first-move like Fake Out or Mach Punch. Other than that, it's pretty standard, as its main purpose is sun.

WingsBro (Volcarona) @ Life Orb
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Roost
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz

I love my Volcarona so much lol. I've never used a set that was better when I've used it. A solid sweeper, who can regenerate, boost 3 different stats on the same turn, take multiple hits, and spread amazing damage on many Pokémon.

PlantsBro (Venusaur) @ Leftovers
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Lonely Nature
- Earthquake
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder

You have to have a Chlorophyll user on a team when it comes to sun. There's not much to say about it, it's a Venusaur. It can either A) Sleep its counters, or B) Sweep what it can. It's not AS useful as my Volcarona, but still quite solid.

TopsBro (Hitmontop) @ Leftovers
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Fake Out

My Rapid Spin and Priority user. I need Rapid Spin if I'm using Volcarona with the dreaded x4 weakness to Rocks, plus I need someone to be my Utility. Hitmontop will Fake Out upon switch, and either use Toxic, Mach Punch, or Rapid Spin, depending on the foe.

SharpBro (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 232 Def / 252 HP / 24 Spd
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock

This is my Physical Wall, and my hazard user. This is more of a wall than anything, but it still helps with the Stealth Rocks and Spikes. I use Brave Bird to just wall the opponent to death, using a high-damage output. Roost is for needing that extra regeneration.

PonyBro (Keldeo) @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

This is my counter Pokémon. It sweeps the Pokémon my other Pokes just can't do. If I have the chance, I Substitute, then Calm Mind a couple times. Then go for the damage. My second most loyal sweeper on this team, and I love it to death.

That is my team. Please rate it, and thank you!:)

Last edited:
Hello there! I've been messing around with sun teams myself a lot lately, and lemme post some suggestions to make this team a bit sturdier.
SunBro (Ninetales) @ Leftovers/Air Balloon (Ninetales needs the recovery way more than a one-use item that may or may not be useful. Air Balloon is for countering Lead Mamoswine)
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-o-Wisp/Toxic (Hypnosis is okay, but it's not reliable enough. These statuses allow to hit other weather starters and put them on a timer)
- Roar
- Sunny Day (Solarbeam is NOT usable in this metagame. If someone switches in a politoed or tyranitar in when you solarbeam, you have to wait for it to charge up.
- Flamethrower (A more reliable option)
WingsBro (Volcarona) @ Life Orb
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain/Hidden Power Ground (Roost is an excellent source of recovery, but with the moveset you have, you're going to get hard walled by Rotom-W and Heatran. Giga Drain nets you the kill on Rotom, while Hp-Ground puts a huge dent in Heatran)
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
PlantsBro (Venusaur) @ Black Sludge (Always run Black Sludge on Poison types you were going to put leftovers on. It's not a big deal, but it helps if you get Trick'd and there's no drawback)
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 180 Spd / 252 SpAtk / 76 HP
Timid Nature
- Growth (Venusaur is a powerhouse, and with Growth, you turn him into a steamroller. Special Attacker Venusaur is way better.)
- Hidden Power Fire (It gets a boost from the sun, and it hits celebi, scizor, etc. hard. Way better than Synthesis, IMO)
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder/Sludge Bomb (Consider Sludge Bomb over Sleep Powder, as it gives you extra coverage, and gives you a way to hurt dragons)

As for the rest of your team, I feel like the weakest links are these guys:
----------------------------------------------------

Replace Hitmontop with one of the following:

Donphan
252 Hp/ 252 Def/4 Spe
~ Rapid Spin
~ Earthquake
~ Stealth Rock
~ Ice Shard
Forretress
252 HP/ 252 Def/4 Atk (0 Speed Ivs)
~ Rapid Spin
~ Spikes / Stealth Rock
~ Volt Switch
~ Gyro Ball / Hidden Power Ice
Why? 50 Hp is pathetic in this metagame where even the sweepers have more. These two have much more utility, and also have much better bulk and utility, compared to the weak hitmontop.

Replace Skarmory with any of the following:
Heatran@Leftovers/Air Balloon

248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
~ Lava Plume
~ Protect
~ Roar
~ Toxic / Will-O-Wisp / Stealth Rock
Scizor@Choice Band

248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD

~ U-turn
~ Bullet Punch
~ Superpower
~ Pursuit

Why? From what I see, you have a pretty glaring Lati@s Weakness. Skarmory is a great pokemon, but it doesn't synergize as well as it could in other weathers. The 2 above are two really good options. Heatran gives you an immunity to fire, and some nice sp.def bulk, as well as a useful typing. Scizor gives you priority, pursuit trapping, and momentum.

Replace Keldeo with either of the following:
Garchomp@Choice Scarf

4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Blast
~ Dual Chop / Dragon Claw
Dugtrio@Focus Sash

252 Atk/252 Speed (JOLLY Nature)
~ Reversal
~ Earthquake
~ Stone Edge
~ Stealth Rock / Memento / Sucker Punch
Why? Keldeo is a great sweeper. It's a fantastic sweeper.......but not in sun. Keldeo's power comes from titanic Hydro Pumps, and huge hits. However, it's a wasted slot on Sun teams. Water attacks do less damage in sun, and the set you're running doesn't add anything to the team other than ANOTHER thing that sets up. Garchomp does a few great things for the team. It is a check for Jirachi, Terrakion, and slower dragons such as Salamence, Dragonite. Garchomp is a GREAT pokemon in sun, and I run it on all of my teams, because it has great bulk, powerful STABs, and a nice speed tier. Dugtrio, on the other hand, can get some very key KOs, like Heatran, Tyranitar and other big threats. Consider it, if Garchomp isn't pulling its weight.

-----------------------------------------------------
These are just my suggestions, so take them as you will. Sun is not my preferred weather, due to how difficult it is to maintain and use. However, it's the highest Rick vs. Reward in the game, and I can respect the playstyle, and those who pull it off successfully. I hope these at least helped steer you in a good direction for your sun team.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)