1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Gen 5 Article Claims/Suggestions

Discussion in 'Articles and Letters' started by Nexus, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Raseri

Raseri here to help
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    NU Co-Leader

Since we're done collecting data for speed tiers and it only needs to be formatted, and maybe having a few sets added I was wondering if I could take over the NU Threatlist, it went inactive after it started and I would like to revive it. If I need to wait until the speed tiers are absolutely finished I'll wait though
  2. Nexus

Nexus Day 358: Believe
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Wi-Fi Commissioner

well we still need speed tiers for three other tiers, but you can take over the threatlist, feel free to make a new thread and use some of the entries in the previous one if you want to.
  3. Trinitrotoluene

Trinitrotoluene +Dread Arceus: the edgier the name, the higher the crit rate
    is a Tutoris a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus

I noticed that there's no article for Team Preview on the site for OU. Would it be alright if I claimed rights to write that article?
  4. Nexus

Wi-Fi Commissioner

PM me an outline.
  5. Trinitrotoluene

Trinitrotoluene +Dread Arceus: the edgier the name, the higher the crit rate
    is a Tutoris a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus

Work in progress page up here.
  6. BTzz

BTzz spams overhand rights
    is a Contributor Alumnus

7. BTzz

is a Contributor Alumnus

Sorry for the double post, but may I write an OU Guide to Trapping? (Magnezone, Wobb, Pursuit etc)

I don't know if we're allowed to have two articles at the same time, but my ru sun guide is almost done (currently in GP phase).
  8. Nexus

Wi-Fi Commissioner

Get the RU sun article through GP first and then you may work on that.
  9. Thundur

Thundur

May I write a BW OU guide to clear skies? With the weather articles covered in BW OU, I think it would be a nice touch to have a clear skies article as well.
  10. Nexus

Wi-Fi Commissioner

no, the articles here are for recognized metagames with their own set of analyses and forums.
  11. Thundur

Thundur

Do you think I am referring to the tier Clear Skies? I was asking to write an article on the playstyle of clear skies in the BW OU metagame (a BW OU team without a weather inducer). I don't quite get what you are saying.
  12. Nexus

Wi-Fi Commissioner

Yes I was referring to the clear skies tier, anyway I'm rejecting your idea (now that you've made it clear) it just sounds like too general a concept.
  13. Thundur

Thundur

Do you think a guide to Choice items in BW OU could work? That is a more narrow topic.
  14. BTzz

is a Contributor Alumnus

Guide to Trapping in BW is up. I hope it's okay to make it a multi tier article, as trapping is viable in lower tiers, but I don't think there's enough to make separate articles out of it.
  15. Ray Jay

Ray Jay "The sky's the limit, okey-dokey!"
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Reserving Guide to LC Move Legality
  16. spuds4ever

spuds4ever

I'd like to start an article on anti-metagaming teambuilding. Would anyone like to join me? (p.s, congrats to ray on the mod badge).
  17. TrollFreak

TrollFreak (╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Can me and Complete Legitimacy work on a Guide to NU Baton Pass?
  18. Nexus

Wi-Fi Commissioner

sorry for ignoring this, end of the semester finals and all that god stuff.

sure

not to sure about this one would like an outline of it.

yes
  19. Psychotic

Psychotic Foulest thing about time; it still ticks when you gone

Can I write a guide to BW UU Offense? I know my post count isn't very high, but I have been playing UU since the beginning of Gen V and am very knowledgeable about the metagame. I just recently noticed that the only article on UU was about rain, which is next to nonexistent in the tier, whereas offense is the most common playstyle. I will definitely get as much help as possible when writing this article, it will be a huge commitment. Reachzero has already said that he would help me write it, and I am trying to get support from a lot of other top UU players as well. Thanks in advance!
  20. kuja20

kuja20

I'd like to take a crack at the UU Speed tiers. I'm surprised these haven't already been reserved or done yet.
  21. Nexus

Wi-Fi Commissioner

go ahead

please do
  22. tednugent1

tednugent1

There where a couple of Baton Pass articles floating around a few months ago, what happened there?
  23. Nexus

Wi-Fi Commissioner

People gave them up or went inactive, and as for those cases they get moved to Locked/Outdated Analyses.
  24. Unbreakable

Unbreakable

Seeing as Smogon seems to adopt the "learn to swim by jumping into a lake" approach to learning how to be a competent competitive battler, I think it should be clear to some that not everyone is on that level, nor is that approach the best path to learning for some people.

I've been kicking around the idea of an expanded glossary article in which common terminology is defined as well as a few examples. While a lot of it may seem like common knowledge, there is much to be said for the aphorism of "common sense isn't." Here would be one sample entry:

Lure (n) - A strategy of tempting an opponent into switching in a certain Pokemon or using a certain move. (v) - The act of employing such a strategy.

Example Lures and Strategies

(sample Zoroark set)

Zoroark is in some respects the ultimate lure, as it can pose as another Pokemon entirely and get a surprise kill when the opponent reacts as they would to the Pokemon whose guise it is in. For example, if Zoroark were to pose as Haxorus and the opponent sends in their Ferrothorn in order to take the expected Outrage or Earthquake, Zoroark can instead unleash a Flamethrower, leaving his team's Haxorus with one less obstacle on the path to world domination, or at least winning the match.

(sample Gyarados and Electivire sets)

GyaraVire was a popular "instant offense" option before the advent of team preview. The strategy here is to tempt the opponent into trying to use an Electric move on Gyarados, only to have Electivire take the hit in order to activate Motor Drive and proceed to use its incredible coverage to best advantage. Theoretically, any ability that grants some sort of boost upon being hit with a certain attack type can be used in such a move-luring strategy. On the defensive side, this act of switching into a predicted resisted move is the heart and soul of a stall strategy.

(Placeholder for a lure set)

One can also take into account the popularity of certain sets on a certain Pokemon and design a set to take out what stops the more commonly seen variants. This "lure" set makes the opponent think that the Pokemon you've sent out is running one thing, but when they send in their response they get a nasty surprise when they find out it's something else entirely.
  25. Azotal

Azotal

May I reserve the BW OU Hail Guide? If I can, Harsha will co-write it with me.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)