Official NBA 2011-12 Season Thread

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Way to refute man, I'm totally convinced, Dell Demps is a genius.

Also, what makes you think that team would have been a playoff quality team anyway? The pre-trade Clippers are a 40-45 win team, Lakers, Rockets, Mavs, Spurs, maybe Blazers, Grizzlies, Thunder. A team like Sacramento can take a step forward, and the Suns can contend for an 8 seed as long as Nash is there. Meanwhile, Okafor/Scola/Odom/Martin/Jack is a really unbalanced roster - Odom can't play SF full time, Martin is a terrible defender and is inefficient as a #1 option, Okafor is a good C but is undersized, Scola is undersized, and Jack/Dragic are mediocre. And I doubt Odom is going to play hard for that team.

That team could win 42 or so games, or it might win 25 games. If you're going to win in that range, at least win that many games with young talent.

The thought of the Clippers being title contenders is a bit overboard in my opinion. They have a really good future and a pretty good starting five, but they really aren't deep after that. They'll probably earn a playoff spot and be a 6-8 seed which would be their first time in the playoffs since 2005-06.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
They'll be title contenders in the future (which is what I meant, not THIS season, my mistake) if they fill out the depth. Jordan will be at least as good as Kaman (15/10 C) and is a better defender. Griffin will be like a 27/12 guy in the next few years. CP3 will be CP3 barring injury.

The big question is will Caron be at least a decent option (they should have signed Prince instead) and whether Billups can play the 2, or if they can trade him.

Every team should think about getting their supertars leaving. That's investment...that's nba business. and if paul leaves, they still have blake which can attract big names in their team.

and do you think being better than 27 teams makes you legit? you have low standards in your life i think..
I have low standards because I think being the best 10% at something highly competitive is "legitimate". Wow I am so fucking dumb!!!! Help the stupidity is leaking out into my every word!!!

I have no idea what your first non-meaningful response is supposed to address. I cannot remember a "superstar" ever swapping teams like this with less than 4 years in place. This is patently different than whatever you are trying to assert this is like.

Are the Clippers contenders? Heck no. That's a huge stretch. Definitely a playoff team though, and dare I say it.. you could possibly argue they're better than the Lakers at this very moment. >_> Not saying it's true, but.. you could argue it!

I have low standards because I think being the best 10% at something highly competitive is "legitimate". Wow I am so fucking dumb!!!! Help the stupidity is leaking out into my every word!!!

I have no idea what your first non-meaningful response is supposed to address. I cannot remember a "superstar" ever swapping teams like this with less than 4 years in place. This is patently different than whatever you are trying to assert this is like.
this is getting ugly..but anyway i'm sorry. i don't want it to be like this.. i have my opinion,you have yours. i'm okay with that... let's be cool, peace?

anyway, can't wait for the thunder u! FU lock-out!!

CP3 and Billups is now in L.A Clippers, New York gets Tyson Chandler. What's next? this season is very interesting.

The Clippers are going to be the most fun team to watch in the league. If their main players stay healthy, the Clippers should be legitimate title contenders in a couple years.

For the people saying Chris Paul is just going to leave after this year, there was a condition in the trade that he had to opt into the last year of his contract so he's staying for at least two years.

For whoever was wondering, Clippers can't trade Billups until July. I could see them try to swing Bledsoe or Williams for a mediocre SG but it probably wouldn't be an even trade.

In my fantasy land they trade Bledsoe to NY for Landry Fields :D

The Timberwolves signed Bonzi Wells, who hasn't played a game in several years. I lol'd.

For whoever was wondering, Clippers can't trade Billups until July. I could see them try to swing Bledsoe or Williams for a mediocre SG but it probably wouldn't be an even trade.

In my fantasy land they trade Bledsoe to NY for Landry Fields :D

The Timberwolves signed Bonzi Wells, who hasn't played a game in several years. I lol'd.
Bonzi can still play.. hes been playing in China for a few years, but hes a guy that shouldnt have been outta the league in the first place

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
The Heat vs Magics pre-season game was pretty good today. The Heat's new players are really doing well, especially Terrel Harris and Norris Cole.

Can't wait for the next one.

Kinda sad that it's the new guys that're carrying the Lakers right now.

EDIT: I think I'll go cry in a corner until Christmas.

Preseason games shouldn't be taken too seriously...

That being said, the Clippers offense looked great for some stretches. If Chris Paul can penetrate half as well as he did this game during the regular season, we are going to see lots of threes raining down. There was GREAT ball movement around the perimeter. Chris and Mo were being active, telling players where to go on offense and both seemed pretty comfortable with a few plays, which is amazing considering Chris Paul has been to two practices? Mo Williams looked fast as hell (maybe my crazy imagination), especially on those quick give n' go's. They were running good action off of the pick-and-roll: they had this nifty set play where Chris and Blake do a pick-and-roll on one side of the floor, while Foye runs curls around two screens on the other side (good because they didn't have much movement off the ball last year). Lots of isolations, but it was a preseason game... By the time the season starts, they are going to know the plays better. With that in mind, the pick-and-roll combination between Chris and Blake looks deadly. Both are good in the pick-and-roll, excellent actually (CP3 is in the top two in the league), and teams are going to have fits guarding it. It is also very comforting to know that teams who do well in the half-court do well because of great pick-and-roll players and great isolation players. The Clippers have both in Chris Paul w/ Blake Griffin and Caron Butler.

It is also very encouraging to see that we have lots of good shooters on the roster. Caron Butler is a very good spot-up shooter, even when guarded and SynergySports will back me up on that. Blake's post game and Chris' penetration attract so much attention that our shooters can have a field day. And our reliance on the three-point shot is different from Orlando's where they pretty much rely on three-point shooting and Dwight Howard's post possessions to win. We have Chauncey and Chris who run the pick-and-roll well, as well as Blake to post up. Caron Butler is also a good isolation player who can carry our team for stretches... The makings of a championship team.

Chris Paul has definitely lost a step, like when Steve Blake could keep up with him in the open court and even make Chris Paul commit an offensive foul. (!) The Clips have lots of good three-point shooters and play-makers, but they really need more size after DJ and Blake. Brian Cook cannot handle someone like Bynum lol. Chauncey seems good with his role on the team, being aggressive from the get-go. Great, amazing passes and alley-oops from all our points. DJ had an amazing dunk over Pau and 'Drew.

All in all, there are lots of reasons to be optimistic as a Clippers fan (of nine or so years nonetheless!) and I think that the Clips can make a deep run in the playoffs and contend in a year or two. They have the main pieces and many complementary pieces for success; they just need a solid 2 guard (a rare commodity in today's NBA it seems, but they may not even need one) and better backup bigmen. I think the Clips will get to the second round easily and to the Western Conference with luck. And maybe even the FINALS!!! (nah, not really).

Cadence said:
And our reliance on the three-point shot is different from Orlando's where they pretty much rely on three-point shooting and Dwight Howard's post possessions to win.
.. Not really. Chauncey Billups shoots a lot of transition threes and most of the threes you guys got were kick and drive as well. Orlando gets threes this way too.

gonna miss peja so much, he and the early 2000 kings were by far one of the most fun teams to watch, its a shame that the refs robbed him of a potential title in 02 with admitted cheating

one of the sweetest 3point shots ever, should be hof for being a part of the early foreign player movement with dirk and divac

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)