Resource ORAS OU Viability Ranking Thread V4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mega Medicham A -> A+

I want to start of by saying this thing is a beast like there not many wall that it does no 2HKO added that to the fact that lot of good mons in the current meta get access to u-turn and commonly use it so you don't have to go out of your way to make a volt-turn team around because volt-turn users are so common for example torn-t and lando-t .I feel like the current meta being balanced mainly the mega medicham can cause mayhem also medicham having access to fake out and bullet punch and one of the faster wall breaker in the meta means that it is also well equipped to deal with offence not only stall and balance thanks to this ability I feel like mega medicham is one of the only wall breaker that is ready to face the versatility of the current meta that i feel part in a class a part from current wall breaker like Mega gard and k-black which it is currently in the same rank as.

Also mega medicham i so hard to deal with when team building that to it raw power and good type coverage most team don't pack counter to this thing. Also if your team building and you want to build semi stall or stall you pretty much have to run mega sab otherwise you lose to mega medicham this may not be a big deal to stall but semi stall really get hit hard by this because all semi stall teams have to run sab or there getting destroyed by mega medicham and there are few team that try to run semi stall with out mega sab or with out slowbro but medicham can run thunder punch for that.

Over all it destroys balance like literally balance losses a mon when it comes in if they don't have sab or slowbro and it one of the only wall breakers that can do pretty good versus HO as well because of its speed and fake out plus BP I really thing it deserves A+

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
okay so the big issue with sab moving to s rank for me is that sableye lacks the support it had back when it was S rank. The kind of teams mega sableye typically forms face matchup issues much more severe than before the stag ban, and theyre just no longer as effective overall. Furthermore the metagame has adapted to mega sableye so that things like lum SD chomp and lando are fairly common, and both get rocks up on sableye 99% of the time. Sableye loses to all three S rank mons at the moment, and the metagame has been shifting more and more out of its favor with things like volcanion being introduced which has sets like LO superpower that can break common sab/chans/skarm/quag/filler builds with only a little support. Jellicent has also been gaining some hype because it counters volcanion, and jellicent pesters stall by taunting things like chansey and having a decent chance to burn sab switchins with scald - something sableye really doesnt appreciate. I think sableye moved down to A+ for good reason because sableye builds just arent as viable as they used to be, and I really havent seen any recent metagame trends that actually favor sableye and make it worthy of the title of "S Rank".

I also have a new nomination.

from A to S

I think Latias-Mega has all of the qualities that a Pokemon in S should have. Right now, Mega Latias has been used significantly more lately, and it's starting to hurt the viabilities of other Pokemon. (Hippowdon, Manectric-Mega, etc.) What is there to say? Latias-Mega is near flawless. It runs offensively and defensively with little to no effort, it pairs well with a big amount of Pokemon in the tier, the amount of things it can switch into is incredible, need I go on? Seriously, when you think about a Pokemon's viability, one of the first things you think of is if Mega Latias can check or counter it or not. The presence of Volcanion has made this thing better too.

from A to S

I think Latias-Mega has all of the qualities that a Pokemon in S should have. Right now, Mega Latias has been used significantly more lately, and it's starting to hurt the viabilities of other Pokemon. (Hippowdon, Manectric-Mega, etc.) What is there to say? Latias-Mega is near flawless. It runs offensively and defensively with little to no effort, it pairs well with a big amount of Pokemon in the tier, the amount of things it can switch into is incredible, need I go on? Seriously, when you think about a Pokemon's viability, one of the first things you think of is if Mega Latias can check or counter it or not. The presence of Volcanion has made this thing better too.
There gona be alot of people wanting to roast you for this so im going to make this a short as possible just because volcanion is here and that mega latias can deal with it does not mean it can go straight to S rank latias doesn't have the best defensive typing it has lots of counters e,g t-tat ect it only has a couple of set it main set being defensive CM which clefable does better for the main part there are niches it has over clefable though ''near flawless'' it was A- like 5 weeks ago there no way it can to near flawless in that little time when the meta hasn't changed that much and there only been one new pokemon i feel like this post was thought less (a bit like my post when i first started) i'd reccomend just trying to get somthing to move up by one rank not 2 and differently not to the highest rank at that.

HailFall

from A to S

Mega latias is good but its really not an s rank mon. It checks a lot of relevant metagame threats and has good bulk. Unfortunately mega latias is fairly passive and relies on supereffective damage to maintain offensive presence. the mono attacking CM sets are nowhere near as good as twave/reflect type, and it struggles heavily to put in work against playstyles like stall since chansey walls most of the sets to hell and back, while sableye fears nothing from cm stored power. Its a good mon and glue for balance, but is overall not metagame defining like the S rank pokemon that already exist. I also think youre dramatically overstating the impact it has on the metagame as far as the "one of the first things you think of is if Mega Latias can check or counter it or not" remark goes.

can sab be moved back up to s rank

never really saw a reason for it to drop in the first place and it's still the same unholy centralising piece of shit it was before. i think the main reason it was dropped was mostly a knee jerk reaction to the banning of shadow tag but several months later its still a very dominant force because of the way it single handedly shuts out a ton of mons and the way it dictates stallbreaking is such a strong force when it comes to teambuilding, forcing teams to prepare very heavily for it, but a load of its common answers and checks have fallen in usage apart from stuff like diancie, clef, and tran. a lot of other stuff has just taken a big hit in viability or usage especially stuff like altaria / zards. not to mention that the stuff that does beat sableye is actually fairy easily to cover with support, hence leading to the ladder being more stall dominant than usual. you can say "p2 ur just shit run stallbreakers" but that argument kinda falls down on itself when stallbreakers need the initial hazard pressure to eat into stall, which sableye does a very good job of preventing, and no i will not run rocks clef on my offense and rocks tran doesn't particularly fit on every offense build either - and if you think rocks tran is a good idea on every team then it just goes to show how limiting sableye is. i've also spammed the living shit out of sab recently so im not only taking a negative approach from facing it, but also from experience of using it.

tl;dr i think sab is the biggest restraint in the tier at the moment and never really had any reason to drop back when stag got banned, infact it had no reason to not get banned either.
I'd also Like to add that Sableye can be annoyingly resistant to stallbreakers, one of the biggest obstacles for them to over come on stall, in my opinion. BU talonflame can beat it, but stuff like SD gliscor and whatnot are maimed by foul play. Furthermore, it can't really be taunted, mean that it actually doesn't mind stallbreakers like the aforementioned Gliscor and taunt gyarados (Why I run sub>taunt) Now, I'm not saying that it's impossible to beat Sable with stallbreakers because it is, ofc. I mentioned Substitute Mgyara and BU flame. Still, anthing that relies on SD or Taunt to break stall is not nearly as effective at beating Sableye.

450.png
Hippowdon A- ---> B+

Hippo's former glory is nearly gone now. Hippo is outclassed by Lando-T in many ways other than the ability to take an Ice attack better. And ever since the A+ Volcanion rose, Hippo just has another check that just OHKO's it. The meta also is just easily handling it now especially with Specs Volcanion. Hippo just isn't as good as it used to be anymore. Until it gets its glory back and hopefully it will, Hippo To B+.

127-m.png
Mega Pinsir A- ---> A

Mega Pinsir is definitely a threat if set up. Talon flame BB checking Pinsir, Mega Pinsir has the ability to sweep mid-late game with simply one SD. With all threats removed, Mega Pinsir easily can pick apart a team with that 155 base attack boosted with SD. Mega Pinsir's defense stat also allows it to eat some nuteral hits. Mega Pinsir definitely deserves an A ranking.

Last edited:
Thoughts on Clefable Dropping from S--> A+?

Clef is fantastic mon. However, the current meta is not too kind to it. First off, Volcanion just kinda dicks all over it and being a free switch in to Volcanion and giving it free reign to spam it's stabs is not a good thing at all.

Not to mention The calm mind set is significantly worse with the increase of hard hitting bulky attackers that kinda just muscle though it's mediocre defenses with strong neutral hits

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Clefable: 262-310 (66.4 - 78.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
We interrupt your regularly scheduled program for an important announcement. After some deliberation, the ranking team has made a decision.

Please welcome Gary2346 to the ranking team! We believe he will be a great addition.

Also, due to inactivity, we've decided to remove Halcyon. from the OP. Come back bro ;_;

Please carry on, thanks.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion

Clef is fantastic mon. However, the current meta is not too kind to it. First off, Volcanion just kinda dicks all over it and being a free switch in to Volcanion and giving it free reign to spam it's stabs is not a good thing at all.

Not to mention The calm mind set is significantly worse with the increase of hard hitting bulky attackers that kinda just muscle though it's mediocre defenses with strong neutral hits

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Clefable: 262-310 (66.4 - 78.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery.
There is one reason and one reason alone that clefable is S rank and will be for the rest of gen6. It is the same reason Volcanion is not a free switch :[
Let me tell you why.

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
add me to the ranking team i swear heads will roll such as

Mega Sableye from A+ to S

when the pokemon u nominate should barely even be OU let alone A+ (cwl)

i could elaborate but apparently people such as TDK and TheEnder agree with me that this PoS shouldnt rise and should, if anything, drop i dont really want to expand on this but if those two feel like it go ahead otherwise ill do it tmrw evening

Listen, before I do this post, you should know something. I hate Clefable. I hate facing it, I hate using it, I hate how it Twaves every damn thing in site. but... It's very deserving of its S rank. There's just a gross amount of threats that it stops. Kyu-B, Lopunny, Weavile, Mega Manectric, Scarftar, and basically any offensive mon lacking SE moves or made to beat walls. Clefable is also an extremely versatile mon, being able to run CM, Tank, Stealth Rock, and Unaware Cleric sets very, very well. Overall, Clefable is not really ranked super high for being a world-destroying monster like Hoopa-U. It's there because it really doesn't have any "safe" switchins due to most sets running thunderwave, making switching in stuff like Mega Metagross a lot trickier that one might originally expect. Clefable and Heatran are are the only two rockers that can beat Mega Sableye reliably, which is definitely a very important place. So, Volcanion isn't a super reliable "switchin" to Clefable since it has to deal with paralysis and the subsequent parahax. CM clef can actually Twave it on the switchin, set up a calm mind, tank a few steam eruptions or even Sludge Bombs as it fishes for parahax (which it will usually eventually get) and go from there, setting up more calm minds. What I'm saying here is that Clefable brings so much utility to the table when it comes to a teamslot that there is very, very little not to use it at all, unless your team is extremely offensive.

add me to the ranking team i swear heads will roll such as

Mega Sableye from A+ to S

when the pokemon u nominate should barely even be OU let alone A+ (cwl)

i could elaborate but apparently people such as TDK and TheEnder agree with me that this PoS shouldnt rise and should, if anything, drop i dont really want to expand on this but if those two feel like it go ahead otherwise ill do it tmrw evening
I would definitely like you to elaborate on this. Not even as a challenge, I'd genuinely like to hear what a group of upper level players have against such an influential pokemon.

Yea I'm not really seeing how Mega Sableye deserves S-Rank at all now. Hell, it should go DOWN if anything (I'm okay with it staying where it is).

At least right now, Volcanion is on the majority of teams, and what pairs really well with Volcanion? Well, 3/4 of things in the tier, but strong fairies like Mega Gardevoir love the thing as an offensive check to things like (Mega) Scizor and so on. Said strong fairies blow back Mega Sableye 100% of the time too. BandTar is now becoming much more common as an offensive partner for Volcanion as well, and BandTar Crunch 2HKO's your standard Utility Mega Sableye (CM Max Defense is trash in comparison most of the time), while Stone Edge does a min of 68%. Given that Mega Sableye is slower than almost all of Volcanion's good offensive partners, this is a really unfun trend. Common checks/counters (depending on the set obviously) to Volcanion like CM Suicune, CM Slowking, and so on also have 0 trouble with Mega Sableye and use it as setup fodder.

Volcanion itself doesn't really have trouble with Sableye. Sure, it doesn't want to come in on Knock Off, but Sableye does not handle Specs Volc well AT ALL.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Mega Sableye: 211-249 (69.4 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

LO Volc also does the same thing, and even Volc sets that are just Max SpA and Modest put heavy pressure on Mega Sableye since a burn means you win the 1v1 even with Recover spam.

252+ SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Mega Sableye: 141-166 (46.3 - 54.6%) -- 59.8% chance to 2HKO

Yea, not really seeing any reason for Mega Sableye to move up in this meta. If anything, it should move down due to the pressure that it's facing nowadays.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Because it is not an influential Pokemon. It's just the staple Mega Pokemon on a very common ladder playstyle. As AM said before, Sableye is 100% only good because of the solidity of the teams it usually finds itself on. As a standalone mon, Sab just doesn't do much. Using it on balance can be a detriment because of how free of a switch it is for stuff like Clefable and Mega Diancie, two of the hardest Pokemon to deal with in the tier. This isn't as much of a problem with stall because they usually have mons like Amoonguss and Chansey and Skarm which can switch in to those mons with relative ease.

Beyond that, it doesn't have the same effectiveness as a hazards deterrent, sicne many common rocks setters can beat it or at least do a lot of damage to it every time it switches in. It really beats Ferrothorn and Skarm and that's it. Offensive Chomp, Earth Plate or SD Lando-T, Rocks Clef, Dazzling Gleam Klef, and more all beat or significantly hurt Sableye on the switch.

It's still a good mon, but just doesn't have the influence on its own to be S rank imo. It requires more support than it gives as a support mon which is never good.

Mega sableye A+ TO S
I don't get how we can have a pokemon that is mandatory on stall , like when was the last time you saw stall with out this thing? How can we have something that is on every team of one of the most powerful play styles be only A+ .And who care if its only really at it best on stall because I feel like hoopa-u was only at its best on balance Volt-turn and that thing just got banned .Mega sab has impacted stall so much I think it would be silly to keep it at A+ stall doesn't even have to run spinners or defoggers any more.Its not even like it a hindering team to use this thing because it awesome move pool and great defensive typing and it counter what would be the greatest stall killer if mega sab wast here mega medicham. it can also run spdef and def so it easy to fit on a stall team like literally you don't have an excuse to not run this on a stall team .I'l return to the first question I ask how can something that is mandatory to stall only be A+ .Im gona leave it short because im looking forward to TDK or TheEnder post on this on even CBB because im sure they can give better reasoning than me as CBB hinted that one of them would be posting and il realise why i'm wrong in thier eyes. But i really cant see why it shouldn't rise when I feel Mega Sab defines stall as a play style

ye sure Volcanion but Sab stall run's chansey and one mon shouldn't deicide all the rankings of other mons

Last edited:

HailFall

Mega sableye A+ TO S
I don't get how we can have a pokemon that is mandatory on stall , like when was the last time you saw stall with out this thing? How can we have something that is on every team of one of the most powerful play styles be only A+ .And who care if its only really at it best on stall because I feel like hoopa-u was only at its best on balance Volt-turn and that thing just got banned .Mega sab has impacted stall so much I think it would be silly to keep it at A+ stall doesn't even have to run spinners or defoggers any more.Its not even like it a hindering team to use this thing because it awesome move pool and great defensive typing and it counter what would be the greatest stall killer if mega sab wast here mega medicham. it can also run spdef and def so it easy to fit on a stall team like literally you don't have an excuse to not run this on a stall team .I'l return to the first question I ask how can something that is mandatory to stall only be A+ .Im gona leave it short because im looking forward to TDK or TheEnder post on this on even CBB because im sure they can give better reasoning than me as CBB hinted that one of them would be posting and il realise why i'm wrong in thier eyes. But i really cant see why it shouldn't rise when I feel Mega Sab defines stall as a play style

ye sure Volcanion but Sab stall run's chansey and one mon shouldn't deicide all the rankings of other mons
I don't get why I need to point this out but "defines stall" =/= "defines ou". Furthermore there have been several successful stall builds that dont use mega sableye, even if they arent as common. Chansey is a mon you see on basically every stall team. Does that mean that chansey should be S rank too? Even if we do agree that sableye defines stall (which it doesnt do to the extent you suggest), stall simply is not an S rank playstyle after the shadow tag ban. It faces large matchup issues, and due to the nature of the teams, has extreme difficulty playing around bad matchup

Getting tired of this absolute bs about Mega Sableye being the only stall mega. There is Mega Venusaur (premier mega diancie stop + mega altaria), Mega Slowbro (actual bulk, regenerator, whatever), Mega Altaria (stops mega heracross, spreads paralysis, team support, bunch of stuff), Mega Scizor (haha mega metagross), and not to mention all the niche stuff like Mega Blastoise (best spinner, if we don't consider mega), Zard-X, Mega Latias, like seriously I think half the megas are useable on a good stall team, so can we stop pretending Mega Sableye is the only one, it's not even the best, shit doesn't have enough bulk, get some proper hazard control.

stall doesn't even have to run spinners or defoggers any more.
pft.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I think this quote from thursday by squirtletheturtle is becoming relevant again. It seems like certain members think they are highly superior and that shitposts and one-liners are okay as long as the vr team agrees with them. It really discourages discussion and makes for an unhealthy community. Instead of acting like a gigantic douchebag, you can actually contribute to the discussion or just tell them why you disagree.
Or grow a spine? Why is it that every 5 pages we get that comment of white knighting and "let's all be friends" that has nothing with any presumed toxicity of the community? Everytime alexwolf corrected my wrong assumptions when I started or I was in that same position before I still kept coming back and wasn't discouraged cause it forced me to play the game at a level that isn't total dong to back up my points, which eventually played a big part in me getting on ranking team after awhile previously. You ever thought maybe you can just ignore the 5 or so replies that go along with? He / she isn't entitled to take it into consideration either that or can just refute the point. Discussion is also discouraged when the remark has no substance and then dudes like squirtle want to white knight but basically says 0 and instigates this entire discussion again and again. How about instead of labeling the community as "a gigantic douchebag" read the handful of posts above that clearly has some substance. It's also discouraging to divert the thread towards the subject of this all the time and then have individuals like yourself just slap the word toxic on the community and partially why people don't want to get involved here, not because a handful of guys are willing to correct said individuals who can make their own decisions without being defended by posts like these.

Edit: to make it clear that's all I had to say on the matter I'd like to think we can just move on, instead of sitting in a circle singing kumbaya.

I think that Mega Pidgeot should be moved up a few ranks from B-. It's combination of No Guard + Hurricane makes it a great move to spam with the mix of Flying's great typing and the 30% confusion chance. Not to mention that it can outspeed and use Heat Wave to crush most mons that can take a Hurricane. While it does have some issues with the likes of Heatran and Tyranitar, these checks have easily exploitable quad-weaknesses to remove them for Pidgeot to clean up. You can also run U-Turn to provide momentum for the rest of your team. It can be seen as a waste of a mega slot due to Tornadus' better coverage, but Pidgeot's higher SpA and perfectly accurate monstrous Hurricane's makes it no less of a threat.

Last edited:

Subjugator

Banned deucer.

Infernape to B-

I think Infernape is a little low in C+, considering how underrated I think it is. I've been playing about thirty matches with it on an Offense team, and I have to say, I am very impressed. Sure, it's definitely outclassed. There are other offensive fighting and fire types that get the job done much more efficiently, like Terrakion, Keldeo, Mega Charizard X/Y, Talonflame, Mixed Victini and Breloom, but Infernape still has a clear cut niche as a fast attacker with a wide and usable movepool. It can also run defensive sets if you want a fast WoW'er to surprise normal checks like Azumarill, Gyara and TankChomp. If Lucario can rise, I definitely believe Infernape can rise. Many of the offensive threats in OU and the spotlight on Volcanion hurt it badly, but they aren't strong enough to not justify a rise in my opinion.

Defensive Infernape is one of the best checks to Dark types in the tier right now, facing off against Weavile and Bisharp very well. It's incredibly versatile too, as it can run defensive, offensive, mixed, Scarf, and AoA very, very well. Yes, it has its flaws, with Volcanion, Tornadus-Therian, Keldeo, and others running amok. But I still think that C+ is undermining what Infernape is definitely capable of.

Last edited:

HailFall

I think that Mega Pidgeot should be moved up a few ranks from B-. It's combination of No Guard + Hurricane makes it a great move to spam with the mix of Flying's great typing and the 30% confusion chance. Not to mention that it can outspeed and use Heat Wave to crush most mons that can take a Hurricane. While it does have some issues with the likes of Heatran and Tyranitar, these checks have easily exploitable quad-weaknesses to remove them for Pidgeot to clean up. You can also run U-Turn to provide momentum for the rest of your team. It can be seen as a waste of a mega slot due to Tornadus' better coverage, but Pidgeot's higher SpA and perfectly accurate monstrous Hurricane's makes it no less of a threat.
Mega pidgeot isnt bad by any means but offensive sets are simply outdone by torn-t. Its special attack stat is good but LO torn t hits way harder. Its only real niche is its work up/roost/hurricane/filler sets, which while effective, arent effective enough to justify another rise. Its fine in B- imo with other pokemon that have solid niches, but crushing flaws such as scolipede and omastar. The implication that it should move to B+ and be in the same rank as stuff like chansey, tangrowth, and suicune when it requires significantly more team support to be effective than any of the other mons listed in that rank is ridiculous to me.

Infernape to B- or B

I think Infernape is a little low in C+, considering how underrated I think it is. I've been playing about thirty matches with it on an Offense team, and I have to say, I am very impressed. Sure, it's definitely outclassed. There are other offensive fighting and fire types that get the job done much more efficiently, like Terrakion, Keldeo, Mega Charizard X/Y, Talonflame, Mixed Victini and Breloom, but Infernape still has a clear cut niche as a fast attacker with a wide and usable movepool. It can also run defensive sets if you want a fast WoW'er to surprise normal checks like Azumarill, Gyara and TankChomp. If Lucario can rise, I definitely believe Infernape can rise. Many of the offensive threats in OU and the spotlight on Volcanion hurt it badly, but they aren't strong enough to not justify a rise in my opinion.
Nape is just underwhelming. It misses the 110 speed tier, its attacking stats are mediocre, it has poor bulk, and its overall jsut not that great. If "other offensive fighting and fire types that get the job done much more efficiently" then why should it be used at all? Its movepool might be decent but i dont see it as good enough to justify a rise. If anything the metagame has been getting far worse for it with volcanion, keldeo,and torn-t running around everywhere.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Most people don't even use the right nape sets is the problem. Defensive nape is arguably the best dark type counter in the tier if not THE best and can do a really solid job vs stall, being able to taunt shit like chansey and skarm while spreading status around, and also being immune to burns from msab bouncing it back. Also, the nasty plot set is insanely good vs bulkier playstyles. +2 fire blast obliterates mega sableye, +2 gknot rapes slowbro while neutral gk bodies quag, skarm and amoong are both smoked by fire blast, ttar and weavile are obviously taken out handily by fighting stab (cc, fblast, or vacuum wave), chansey is taken out by every single fighting stab quite easily at +2 bar vacuum wave. Mixed has decent utility vs offense, being able to lure shit like garchomp for teammates with hp ice among other moves. On top of that, it can function as an EXCELLENT fairy lure with gunk shot, has a great band set to use on volturn teams, and is even a really solid revenge killer with LO/Band mach punch. Obviously nape still has the same flaws as it always has, but we're nominating it for B-, not A rank rofl. Infernape is a really solid mon in the current metagame and rising up to B- rank certainly isn't unjustified as a ranking.

while i enjoy not being a part of the viability rankings any longer, i'm pretty disappointed on how it's all turned out. don't mind me posting here, i probably won't do it again unless i feel the need to do so. shoutouts to whoever's left holding up the fort, miss you all, but don't miss you that much kek.

amoonguss A- -> B+ no idea why this rose in the first place, but if i had to guess it's probably because of the prevalence of ladder stall. however i wouldn't rate amoonguss' utility along the likes of starmie or hippo or anything else in A- for that matter. and it most definitely is not better or worse than anything in b+. people only use this mon bcs they already have a mega and can't use venusaur. not only that, it faces competition with other popular grass types in the tier and is passive af after it's put something to sleep.

alakazam A- -> B+ alright i think we can all come to terms with how regular zam performs in this meta. sure lo zam is a threatening mon against balance and bo, but megazam does its job a lot better. there is very little justification in running regular zam on your team at all and more often than not, another mon would more than likely do better for your team. lozam is basically a slightly stronger megazam with paper-thin defenses and minus the sweet speed boost which makes a world of difference. sashzam is an extremely niche rkiller in which a scarfer or priority is usually more ideal. also i know this isn't the most accurate of comparisons, but think of what mega scizor is to regular scizor and what megazam is to regular zam. regular scizor is in B but i even think that has more utility than regularzam by virtue of its defensive typing and the minimal differences between its regular and mega counterpart. finally, everything in A- outclasses it by a landslide .__.

heracross (mega) B+ -> A- glad to see this thing is making a comeback. most definitely one of the most underrated megas and is long overdue in a rise. bulk is insane, strong as hell, requires very little support, 6-0's most stall and you get the idea.

latias B+ -> A- i understand why everyone wants to hop on the bandwagon of thinking latios is ultimately superior and latias is hopelessly outclassed which is true, but a drop all the way to B+ is somewhat of an illogical stretch. i mean, it isn't even that much outclassed by latias. what it trades in a bit of power it gains in bulk which is just ridiculous for it to drop an entire subrank. the bulk is actually a blessing for some teams since you can actually switchin into specsvolcanion, lo thund, avtorn, specskeld icywind, manectric, etc. without getting 2hkod unlike latios. hwish is just icing on the cake, and if your so adamant on defining latias for this one 'niche' it has over latios then i'd say your loss. i'd recommend building a team with dual hwish mons+scary set up mons/breakers, just might change your perspective on how you see it for what it is. not to mention that latias is better than the entirety of B+(except maybe overlord pinkblob supreme) so there's that.

gallade (mega) B -> B+ ok i get that adacham is probably the most op mega at this current junction in the meta, but that shouldn't mean gallade has to fall into obscurity. they aren't even the same in how they are supposed to function. i would also argue to great effect that a +2 gallade is much more threatening than megacham, albeit requiring support and an opportunity to set up; which shouldn't be much of a problem considering it's above average bulk and recovery in drain punch (cc is terrible and ur better off using cham if ur thinking of using cc lmao). in my humble opinion, i think adamant sd drain punch zen headbutt and shadow sneak is the best overall set it can run, but it definitely is unexplored and has a ton of other options like bulk up, stallbreaking, coverage, etc. seeing it in the ranks of the likes of mega beedrill is appalling to say the least and since most fighters like cham terrak and hera have risen, i don't see why not this.

nidoking B -> B+ nice to see that this thing rose to B, but honestly i think it deserves B+. this thing 2hkos the entire meta and is only stopped by extremely spdef walls like chansey, mew slowking, and friends. nice defensive typing lets it softcheck diancie, clef, terrak, loom and you can even run sub>flame to mitigate prediction or on a sack. why you guys put it below mamoswine and diggersby is beyond me.

sceptile (mega) B- -> B sure scept is for the most part outclassed by serp and occupies a mega slot, but i don't get why this had to drop from B to B- when serp rose all the way to A. Just because serp is good doesn't necessarily make sceptile itself more worse than it was before. fast af, exceptional coverage and decent power should be why its used in the first place. and godamnit pls don't make me bring up fking beedrill again...

omastar B- -> B ORAS OU Viability Ranking Thread V4 (See post #1254 - Page 51) sweep summed it up pretty well, but omastar is definitely the most dangerous ss abuser there is. aside from a specs set which just obliterates almost every switchin, if you let this get a free shell smash its essentially game. this isn't impossible since oma forces so many switches and if they can't afford you to set up knowing that u are smash, then they're going to have to sack regardless. apart from ohkoing even water resists at +2 in rain, ss is especially helpful since it bypasses it's speed problem, allowing it to outspeed scarf lando and up. life orb or mystic water are viable items for it and you can run ep or ancient pwr if volcanion is a problem for you.

infernape C+ -> B- i'm kind of surprised to see this so low. offensive wise it is pretty mediocre, but infernape is a mon that shines through its defensive utility. sr taunt low kick slack wisp encore fire punch, a fire type that is neutral to rocks with reliable recovery and is able to switch into scizor, weavile and bisharp and neuter would be counters with burn? now that is indispensable. relegating this down in the ranks of C+ underscores its capabilities as it deserves better.

rhyperior C+ -> C this doesn't really wall or check much prominent threats in the meta as it used to and faces severe competition with literally every other ground type in ou. it has some cool techs to it up its sleeve but the novelty has worn off unfortunately.

tyrantrum C+ -> C same with rhyp, though it's outclassed entirely by tyranitar and really only has a niche in recoiless headsmash. though for real i'd just use cbterrak or ttar lol. it can't even function that well as a dd'r for lack of things to actually set up on.

cofagrigus C -> C+ now this is definitely a mon that deserves more usage. it goes without saying how effective its defensive utility is in the tier as well as its unique ability im mummy. defensive tspikes is a pretty sick set especially since it spinblocks, but nastyroom has to take the cake for me. albeit an unconventional win con, it is extremely deadly if given the opportunity to set up. it still is able to function as a teamplayer by spreading burns and checking a ton of physical attackers, go figure.

jellicent C- -> C+ i would say this is especially underrated right now considering volcanion+pursuit is being spammed a ton right now. but even then, jelli is still able to pull its own weight. with a simple stallbreaking set in recover wisp scald/hex taunt, jellicent is able to beat threats such as sciz azu gross keld star bro volc etc. having a colbur berry is definitely advised as it allows it to beat those pesky dark types trying to trap it, thereby eliminating their premier answer to this.

shedinja D -> C- i think this has solidified its presence in the ou meta enough for it to warrant a rise. goes without saying that it walls a lot in ou, but definitely needs hazard support and a countermeasure to the elements.

think i've covered all the important stuff for now. i was going to write about medicham -> A+, gengar -> A-, and slowking -> B+, but those 3 seem a tad controversial. i'll let you all decide amongst yourselves about those pce.

How about Chansey --> A-? It has a pretty nice niche in being basically the only safe Volcanion switch in in the tier rn. Unlike most of the other checks, which can be
A. easily pursuit trapped (Latis/Jelli/Slowbro)
B. Bopped by coverage moves (Gastro/Seismi/opposing Volcanion)
C. Annoyed by burns (stuff like gyara i guess)
, Chansey can switch in reliably, heal it off, and even retaliate with yellow magic. Chansey can stand up pretty easily to a lot of volc builds, and with that monster running around everywhere, it gives Chansey a huge niche, enough to be listed in A- imo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)