1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 (DS, June in JP, Fall in EU/NA/AU) - Updated May 12th

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Firestorm, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Diverman

The Diverman

Yeah because the growth rate of a 10 year old is 2 years in the pokemon world.

Well they already said the rival is very protective of his sister, so that shows he's at least caring. He is also your childhood friend, so he'll probably help you out, and by just looking at him, he sort of gives me a Blue vibe.
  2. bluemon

bluemon

i feel like pokemon is getting closer to the other rpg serieses like final fantasy
  3. Parallel

Parallel

How do you mean? I mean, in my view it's been drifting further away...

I mean, Gen I introduced so many things which were staple for all fantasy RPG's: potions, ethethers, elixirs... Heck there was even a HEALING CIRCLE in lavender tower.

If you stop to think what those items actually ARE, they start to conflict with the image pokemons built for itself since those games with unique elements like berries and pikeblocks. The pokemon world is one of science and nature now, not the magic of other fantasy RPG's it was closer to at its begginings.
  4. Acritter

Acritter

I think he meant mechanically, which I would buy. The original Pokemon was very much free-form. There wasn't much of a central plot. Hell, if you wanted to, you could get the badge from Fuschia before getting the one from Celadon. The game was exploring around and getting your Pokemon. As the games have gone on, they've started to get more and more significant plotlines, which follows the standard JRPG model. I'm personally hoping they take the next step after that, which is to change the plot based on your decisions.
  5. Cobraroll

Cobraroll
    is a Community Contributor

I thought the linearity of Unova was simply too boring. I mean, it was all "after doing X, you can keep going to point Y. Then you need to do Z to proceed."

There was always a glaringly obvious obstacle blocking your path. And the obstacle you first encountered was always the next one to be removed. Totally unlike R/B/Y, where you could go see Snorlax before you took on the third gym, but you would have to finish the fourth one before you could go further. Or yet better, R/S/E, where nothing prevented you from proceeding on from Mauville before even beating the third gym - except a stretch of water that you couldn't cross before you had taken on the fifth. Heck, hadn't Surf required the Balance Badge, you could have gone all the way to Fortree before beating the first gym.

The possibility is slim, but I still hope they fix this up a little in B/W2. Let you roam a little, instead of just clearing one section of the path ahead of you at the time. Let there be crossroads, not just a linear path with dead ends sticking out. Let you have to go back to proceed, sometimes. Pokémon games have always contained the element of "Before you can do B, you must do A", but in BW they took the concept to the extreme and shoved it right in your face.
  6. blasphemy1

blasphemy1

Potions, ethers, and elixirs were merely parallels for medicines. I'm not sure they were ever magical. Now they've simply added berries and Pokeblocks, the latter of which are equivalent to pet food. Pokemon parallels reality more than it does any fantasy RPG.

I agree with Cobraroll. I liked how you could choose which gyms to tackle and when, rather than being forced along. Now it feels less like an adventure with your own choices and more like going through the motions just to get to the end to see the story through. Perhaps Game Freak knows they went a little too far with Unova's lack of choice and extreme linearity. Although the fact they added a tunnel on top of all the bridges might be another sign they want to herd us like cattle to the next objective.
  7. Charon

Charon

Wish theyd do something to fix the ground immunity issue.

I would do it like this:
    -Make Flying type resistant to Ground instead of immune
    -add a separate off-ground stat mechanic (meaning any pokemon can get off-ground status simply because of its design implying the physical ability to fly)
    -change ground moves to affect off-ground pokemon where appropriate (Mud Shot, Bone Rush, Mud Bomb...)

Then all the dual type bugs with wings would gain an immunity to EQ and co. (Venomoth, Scizor, Volcarona..)
    And the pokemon that have Levitate for no other reason than to fix the issue of flying and getting hit by Ground, could get a proper ability.
    Meaning for example Flygon could get the amazing Sandstream for once.
    :E
  8. blasphemy1

blasphemy1

Pokemon does NOT stay true to flavor to this extent, nor do I think it ever will... Besides, you're suggesting to give Scizor an immunity to Ground... yeah, that's totally fair and balances the one good aspect Bug/Flying Pokemon have, right? Also, the notion that a Pidgeot should only resist Ground while Scizor, which cannot sustain flight, should be immune to it, is ridiculous.
  9. The Cicada

The Cicada

is N going to be in White and Black 2? =i
  10. Lucario_Guy

Lucario_Guy

On the subject of "Choice vs Linearity" in the way a Pokémon game is built, I prefer the linearity showcased in BW1, if only for the coherency of the story line. There's plenty enough choice in the Pokémon we use, anyway.

Also, there was indeed a "roadblock" in BW1 akin to the Snorlax of Kanto: the little orange cone in the Dream Yard. :P

Don't know for sure yet, but so far there isn't anything to suggest Natural's presence in these games.
  11. The QWAZ

The QWAZ

I want getsis to be back, he was an absolute monster and by far the best villan
  12. Katakiri

Katakiri Listen, Brendan...
    is a Pokemon Researcher

Aside from the fact that the Legendary Pokemon that N took in B/W is the one Kyurem stole energy from in the sequel.

Kind of a dead giveaway unless Game Freak is stupid enough to go "And suddenly Black Kyurem exists for no explained reason!" Which won't happen because they were milking B/W's story for all it's worth and I don't see any reason for them to stop now.
  13. lmitchell0012

lmitchell0012 Banned deucer.

Well, why did they give bronzong a second ability and everything else got nothing?? I think it's wrong that bronzor/bronzong were given special treatment (in the form of other abilities) and everything else was just ignored.
  14. Charon

Charon

Obviously Pidgeot would be an off-ground poke hence immune to the ground attacks in question.
  15. satchmo

satchmo

I agree. BW2 needs a bit more freedom, BW was WAY to linear.
  16. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Why am I so shit
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

BW is not linear, it's Final Fantasy XIII meets D/P's regional Dex meets G/S's pokémon distribution. 2.5 years after the Japanese release, I have three save files (Nuzlocke, original cart, NFE-only run) and I've beaten the E4 in only one of them (nevermind EXPLORING West Unova), because the game manages to have the worst in-game possible.
  17. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Man whaaaat
    BW has way better Pokemon distribution than GS
    Once you get past Striaton, I mean. But it's not like the in-game selections are bad??

Choosing my teams as I played I kept agonizing over did I want this one or that one.
  18. Mario With Lasers

Ok fine, I exaggerated, nothing can be as bad as GS's distribution. But I won't change a word because fuck Unova until BW2.
  19. Flarephoenix332

Flarephoenix332

I hate to be this guy, but this is bugging the shit out of me. The bold part is wrong. You don't NEED to beat Erika to get the Scope, rescue Mr. Fuji, then awaken the Fatkren. And you DO need to beat Wattson to use Rock Smash, necessary to head to the desert area thingy. You're thinking of Dewford, which is totally skippable.
  20. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I will say I hope some of the later-game mons like Durant or Druddigon get moved to at least mid game.
    People might actually use Heatmor, then!
  21. satchmo

satchmo

Another thing is they need to beef-up the wildmon's levels a few. Catching a level 26 Litwik when the majority of your team is mid-30s blows.
  22. Sprocket

Sprocket P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n

A few Audinos takes care of that problem.
  23. SuperCharizardMaster

SuperCharizardMaster

Here's some food for thought. Maybe they will introduce a move tutor in there. Because it's so annoying that I have to go to GEN 4 just to get a certain move like stealth rock, and then you have to get it to gen 5 and finnally you find out that you needed another move from gen 4....... it's one of those momments where I say this word "Fudge!!!!!!"
  24. Mario With Lasers

If we had Surf, we could go all the way to Dewford, then Slateport, then Mauville, then Fortree.

I won't bother much because now we'll have 300 pokémon before the E4. So, like, every route will be almost exploding with pokemans.
  25. Sprocket

Sprocket P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n

OK, so where can I import this?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)