Pokemon Platinum - The definitive thread.

Do you think there will be a sequel?

• Yes

Votes: 487 96.1%
  • No

Votes: 20 3.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Platinum would be the American name, as Opal is much more fitting. Palkia is a Dragon/Water type, and he belongs to the game Pearl. Pearls are generally found in the ocean, hence the Water type. Dialga is a Dragon/Steel type, and belongs to the game Diamond. Diamonds are the hardest natural material, hence the Steel type. Giratina is a Dragon/Ghost type, and might belomng to the game Opal. Opal is the gemstone of the month October, and we all know October for its special day called Halloween, which involves ghosts or spirits. The gem is also sometimes associated with bad luck, which is fitting for a Ghost type.

Regardless, I do think there will be a third installment. Can't wait for it. =)

I don't think Platinum would be the American name, as Opal is much more fitting. Palkia is a Dragon/Water type, and he belongs to the game Pearl. Pearls are generally found in the ocean, hence the Water type. Dialga is a Dragon/Steel type, and belongs to the game Diamond. Diamonds are the hardest natural material, hence the Steel type. Giratina is a Dragon/Ghost type, and might belomng to the game Opal. Opal is the gemstone of the month October, and we all know October for its special day called Halloween, which involves ghosts or spirits. The gem is also sometimes associated with bad luck, which is fitting for a Ghost type.

Regardless, I do think there will be a third installment. Can't wait for it. =)
The problem with Opal is that it sounds terrible. "I have Pearl, but I want Opal". Platinum sounds much more appealing. The more appealing or cool a name sounds, the better it sells. Dialga isn't the only reason Diamond sold better then Pearl. Besides, games names don't have to match the Pokemon on the cover - Sure, Charizard was red, but Ho-Oh didn't have too much to do with Gold (outside of the anime).

And outside of Pokemon Green, names have always remained the same, Japan or not.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Girasol (a fire opal) >>> Opal.

Specially in Portuguese; Girasol = Sunflower, while Opal basically means "the dick" (NOT the gemstone, just the pronunciation that's really similar)...

"hey did you liked Diamond"

"of course, but I do prefer Opal"

"what the hell man"

Good thing they changed the name. I still want Girasol, though...

Now that I think of it, Opal does sound gay. xD Although Platinum doesn't match the description and stuff, I can see what you mean by it selling better because of the name Platinum.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Platinum makes perfect sense

In the Jap version:
Giratina

And the game's name:
"Platina (Purachina if going strictly by the katakana)"

Girasol (a fire opal) >>> Opal.

Specially in Portuguese; Girasol = Sunflower, while Opal basically means "the dick" (NOT the gemstone, just the pronunciation that's really similar)...

"hey did you liked Diamond"

"of course, but I do prefer Opal"

"what the hell man"

Good thing they changed the name. I still want Girasol, though...
This post amused me to no end.

First time I'm proud of being a brazilian.

Funnily enough I just found out Nintendo also has the following names Trademarked:

Poke'mon Topaz
Poke'mon Tourmaline
Poke'mon Amethyst
Poke'mon White Gold
Poke'mon Moonstone

From way back in 2002...
Source.

Not that it really means much on it's own lol...
White Gold and Black Silver, anyone? Those names pretty cool, since if there is a remake you would assume they would name them like they did the other remakes.

I like the new battle window, and I really hope they make real animations (Come on, repeating the same 2 poses 5 times isn't cool) and some new sprites, but please don't make them look awful like you did with Emerald, GameFreak. :(

Red Beret... Blue coat? Errrr... Awful... o_O, Nobody wears berets (NOBODY except loser-tourists, you will never see a French person in beret...) so why does Lucas have to? Different hat or just give him a headband... A BLUE headband, not something that looks funky with the other colors. Or, they could just recolor the beret purple-blue...

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Except "White Gold" IRL is just Gold with a bit of Silver mixed in. There's no 'Black Silver" iirc... >.>

Anyway if you trace the link back to the original source you'll find:

According to one of my most reliable Japanese sources, several names have been trademarked. Not for Pokémon, but for versions. Nintendo must be doing this amount to throw us off but here is the possibilities. Remember you saw it here first:

Pocket Monsters Topaz
Pocket Monsters Tourmaline
Pocket Monsters Amethyst
Pocket Monsters Moonstone
Pocket Monsters White Gold These may not be entirely accurate, I am doing constant checks as you read this but it looks promising for a 3rd version or possibly even a Gamecube Version. Speaking of Gamecube versions there are also these two registries made:

Pocket Monsters Colosseum
Pocket Monsters Channel
Do those last two seem farmiliar or what?

Guys, Nintendo has the trademark for Super Mario Sisters since the early 90's.

They don't really mean anything lol.
Word Mark SUPER MARIO SISTERS
Goods and Services (ABANDONED) IC 028. US 022 038. G & S: ELECTRONIC GAME PROGRAMS
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 74033003
Filing Date February 27, 1990
Current Filing Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition September 11, 1990
Owner (APPLICANT) Nintendo of America Inc. CORPORATION WASHINGTON 4820 - 150th Avenue Northeast Redmond WASHINGTON 98020
Attorney of Record Bruce E. O'Connor
Prior Registrations 1453314;1546563;1592182;AND OTHERS
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
Abandonment Date December 5, 1991

Nintendo owned the trademark for "Super Mario Sisters" for a little under 2 years. Nintendo hasn't owned it for some 17+ years.

Anyway, it is clear that Nintendo isn't trademarking these Pokemon names... but at the same time it is clear that Nintendo owns the domain names to some of them. I only wish I knew what this "secret source" is... you can't legally copyright something till it is actually made, and Nintendo doesn't trademark the names of its games.

Pokemon Platinum is now officially confirmed on the Japanese Pokemon web site. It doesn't have any new information, and the images are the same as in the scans, but better quality. Serebii mentions this in his latest news post, but I really hate how he always appropriates other people's information and pictures without citing where it came from or posting a link. So here's a link to that web site, which PokeBeach was good enough to link to:

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/special/platinum/02.html

Lol, they spelt Form wrong :P

Anyway, I'm currently ripping and cleaning up the Giratina sprite. Why did they have to JPEG it?

Finished the rip:

Feel free to use. No credit needed, although it would be nice.

Although if you're going to put it on your site (not just personal use/signature/avatar), give credit!

Except "White Gold" IRL is just Gold with a bit of Silver mixed in. There's no 'Black Silver" iirc... >.>
Iirc, "black silver" would be tarnished silver.

I also have support for Pokemon Girasol/Opal though...Platinum may make sense and sound cool, but still. Opals are so much more colorful.

I just realised something, which I don't think anybody has mentioned...

Gold/Silver = Metals Crystal = Many gems are crystals
Pearl/Diamond = Gems Platinum = Metal :O

Pokemon Platinum is now officially confirmed on the Japanese Pokemon web site. It doesn't have any new information, and the images are the same as in the scans, but better quality. Serebii mentions this in his latest news post, but I really hate how he always appropriates other people's information and pictures without citing where it came from or posting a link. So here's a link to that web site, which PokeBeach was good enough to link to:
If he did that they wouldn't be able to say "exclusively" on Serebii.

That male sprite doesn't look as bad as the original scan made it seem. The blue is much more subdued then what it looked like.

I also have support for Pokemon Girasol/Opal though...Platinum may make sense and sound cool, but still. Opals are so much more colorful.
But they very clearly designed this generation's legendaries to be based off of their respective gems: e.g. Palkia (Parukia) with pearl-like emblems on its body, and the special Lustrous Orb; Dialga with kind of a crystalline structure and a blue jewel on its chest, who uses the Adamant Orb ("adamantine" means diamond-like). Giratina at least looks vaguely platinum-colored. Opals are iridescent, and I can't see that matching Giratina at all. And while it's tempting to say "girasol" matches Giratina, "girasol" is just such an obscure and perhaps obsolescent name. Most people just call that stone a fire opal. IIRC, "girasol" means sunflower in Spanish.

Off-topic, but Speed Life Orb doesn't sound like that good of an idea to me.

Want things to be harder? Throw Kyogre into OU. Garchomp into UU.

Hard is ok, but only to an enjoyable extent.
That's really not a valid point at all. Boosting pokemon to make them more viable in competitive battling is very different from adding Ubers to OU. I'm talking about bringing more pokemon to the same level.

But they very clearly designed this generation's legendaries to be based off of their respective gems: e.g. Palkia (Parukia) with pearl-like emblems on its body, and the special Lustrous Orb; Dialga with kind of a crystalline structure and a blue jewel on its chest, who uses the Adamant Orb ("adamantine" means diamond-like). Giratina at least looks vaguely platinum-colored. Opals are iridescent, and I can't see that matching Giratina at all. And while it's tempting to say "girasol" matches Giratina, "girasol" is just such an obscure and perhaps obsolescent name. Most people just call that stone a fire opal. IIRC, "girasol" means sunflower in Spanish.
The pokemon of this generation weren't really designed after their gems at all, they just had them on their bodies. Diamonds were made into a bluish color while pearls were turned red, which is quite a stretch for both of them. Giratina's generic greyish color would have to be sort of stretched to fit "Platinum," it's likely they will just change the color of platinum to resemble what Giratina already is.

That's really not a valid point at all. Boosting pokemon to make them more viable in competitive battling is very different from adding Ubers to OU. I'm talking about bringing more pokemon to the same level.
But by making more Pokemon viable in OU, you make some of the current OU Pokemon less viable. What about those Pokemon who are only any good because of their speed? What about the Pokemon that have low speed for the sole reason that if they had more, they would dominate (if they weren't restricted to one move, of course). Especially if one Pokemon is so good that it makes more games boring. Choice Scarf is plenty imo. But that's really a different discussion for a different thread.

Anyway, is that origin Giratina form the actual way it is in-game? Because I'm not too fond of the position it's in =/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)