Pokemon VGC 2010 DATES / rules announced for the US!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandman

Bum bum bum bum
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm totally going to the New Jersey one, i'm so scared though since so many good people seem to be going there though.

I'll see everyone in Indy, hopefully making it through the LCQ and then to the top 8 in Nationals! ATTN European players: Americans placing 9-16 in the national championships also must pay for their own flight to the world championships. You're not alone.

Nothing reasonably close to Chicago.:pirate:
Indianapolis has a last chance qualifier for up to 768 people....

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
I'm totally going to the New Jersey one, i'm so sacred though since so many good people seem to be going there though.
Damn, I keep forgetting your IP is Jersey when you sign on IRC; you've probably got a good chance though.

Tyler

No Longer Live
won the 1st Smogon VGC Tournament
Am I reading this right? It says (for Dallas) that you have to come the 22nd to sign up, and come back the 29th to play? That is so frickin retarted!!!! If you only had to go the 29th, I would be there. There is no way my parents are going to take me both days. (We live in AR, it takes 10hrs to get to Dallas) Of course, if I went, I would get my butt kicked due to being born in 1997, so I'd be facin adults. Although, I might use the money I'm saving for a PS3 to pay my rents' the gas money. But why do they have it in May? I have school, and if I miss I have to do up-downs in football. O life is cruel. So for bad grammar I'm using my iPod Touch.
It doesnt say anything about the 22nd.

You live in Brockton? Lol, that place is a dump.

I had to download Fire Fox to download NBS so I could test my VGC team, then I deleted Firefox because I'm not a tool and had to play Where in the World is my Default Web Brower?, then summoned up enough patience to make a team on there, and then I have to do all these other stupid things....

... And then I FINALLY get to battle, but when I click on the option that lets me start battling, I get an error. Now I'm REALLY pissed...

"Run-time error '339':

Component 'MSWINSCK.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

Any help? /)_-
Anyone at all?

Newark = WTFOMGBBQ . The first few rounds should be easy, especially considering last year. Since this year it's first come first serve, Newark is the qualifier with the worst problems (last year's Philly was ~900 Seniors.) Now, imagine that with more players coming due to no lottery, and the fact it's first come first serve means that some bad players who are large fans will come early... just to be beaten ;)

On the good side, all the other regionals are safe and sound. Nothing to fear, no problem of lottery, more players to face, etc. Now, let's do Newark's math....

Estimated Players: ~1000 (since there's no lottery, and it's closer to NE and NYC)
Players allowed in: ~0768
Estimated Not-in: ~0232

Single Elimination: 512 play first round, 256 with byes (hopefully)
Rounds Top 16: 6 Rounds
Rounds Top 04: 8 Rounds
Rounds Finals: 9 Rounds

On a side note, my estimates for the total participating might be flawed. I noticed that the Shiny Eevee is being given out BY WIRELESS. This means we won't have players signing in just for the Shiny ;) As if you need to go to the event, since you can just RNG....

EDIT: Silly me, I forgot my New Jersey geography (I'm a New Yorker :D). I thought Newark was Trenton. But anyways, just so you know, Newark is ACROSS THE HUDSON RIVER from New York City (Manhattan to be precise).

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
good grief they changed things.

might be for the better though...

I like the fact that more people can play.

Damn TPCi and the crappy locations... AGAIN!!!
But at least there's no lottery...
I might be going to the AZ one, but i feel like taking a 4 hour trip to play is a little to much... but NO LOTTERY!!!

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I guess I shouldn't complain as there are a ton of you willing to make the trip that I'd have to make to hit Seattle's competition, but I was really hoping for one in Vancouver =/

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'd hardly call a three hour drive to play pokemon reasonable.
Clearly you need to revise your definition of reasonable.

If you show up just to compete and not have any fun whatsoever, then yeah, I'd almost call that a wasted trip. Socialize a bit, this is probably the one time of the year you get to hang out with dozens of people who think Pokemon is just as awesome. A long trip is very much worth the effort if you enjoy yourself, and maybe end up with a story to tell.

I guess I shouldn't complain as there are a ton of you willing to make the trip that I'd have to make to hit Seattle's competition, but I was really hoping for one in Vancouver =/
Just to be clear: we'll still be seeing you in Seattle, right?

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If I go to a tourny, it will be the Newark, NJ one since I will be living in NYC for all of June. Sounds pretty awesome though.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Highly doubt it. I'd have to leave the night before and I plan to volunteer at Game Developers Conference Canada which is on Thursday and Friday. I'll be there for PAX in September though!

drcossack

Clearly you need to revise your definition of reasonable.

If you show up just to compete and not have any fun whatsoever, then yeah, I'd almost call that a wasted trip. Socialize a bit, this is probably the one time of the year you get to hang out with dozens of people who think Pokemon is just as awesome. A long trip is very much worth the effort if you enjoy yourself, and maybe end up with a story to tell.

I knew the 24 hour drive would come up again. lol.

You going to do that again this year? It'll be ~ another 12 hours to Jersey though.

Otherwise, I agree. I know a bunch of people from smogon are going to be at Newark - me, tds, dragonfe, godudette, dubulous, EE, and his son, among others. Gonna be interesting to meet them all.

Shitty prizes aside, anyone care to help me?

And no good people go to Newark if I'm going. Please :(
I'm going D:
Help with what? A team? Borrow one of mine. :)

and it's going to be 90-95% morons at Newark. Smogon people are gonna wipe the floor with the bad players.
LOL I feel much better now.

Would you be willing to help me as well, if I asked nicely? I suck at RNG (only did it once just to try it) and yeah lol it would mean a lot.

drcossack

I'm going D:

LOL I feel much better now.

Would you be willing to help me as well, if I asked nicely? I suck at RNG (only did it once just to try it) and yeah lol it would mean a lot.
I get my stuff from mattj - I'm not too sure how thrilled they'd be about a lot of similar stuff appearing though (I recall hearing something about Blakchrome last year, since a lot of smogon people had it), but w/e. I can clone stuff that has his OT; it also can't hurt to ask him about stuff directly (like EV training - use me as a reference)

btw - anyone notice this? From the Worlds FAQ, the winner gets:

An invite to participate in the 2011 World Championships

Why not keep it in Philly? Jerseys such a crappy state but oh well its closer. Now at least I can actually get in this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)