Simple Questions & Simple Answers & General Resources (OU Edition) MK II

Status
Not open for further replies.

haunter

Banned deucer.
HP fire is a must have on offensive Aboma. Scizor, Ferrothorn and Forretress completely wall you otherwise and can just get momentum with u-turn or set up hazards.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If a Pokemon like Heatran with the ability Flash Fire were to use the move Will-o-Wisp, and the opposing Pokemon were to use Magic Coat or have the ability Magic Bounce to rebound the attack, would the Will-o-Wisp count as a Fire move to boost up Flash Fire?

If a Pokemon like Heatran with the ability Flash Fire were to use the move Will-o-Wisp, and the opposing Pokemon were to use Magic Coat or have the ability Magic Bounce to rebound the attack, would the Will-o-Wisp count as a Fire move to boost up Flash Fire?
Yes, it would. So heatran would raise his own Fire type attacks by a stage by doing that.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yes, it would. So heatran would raise his own Fire type attacks by a stage by doing that.

If I used HP Ground on a levitating Pokémon, would it still land? I know Earth Power, and Earthquake would not.

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If I used HP Ground on a levitating Pokémon, would it still land? I know Earth Power, and Earthquake would not.
The move: Hidden Power [Ground] will be ineffective against all pokemon with the ability: Levitate under normal circumstances. The opponent will have to use the move: Roost, or the user would have to have the ability: Mold Breaker etc for it to have any effect.

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Just to clarify, there's no difference between HP Ground and Earthquake / Earth Power in this regard; they are all Ground moves, and thus, like all Ground moves, won't affect the target unless the user has Mold Breaker / Teravolt / Turboblaze (the last one is not applicable in OU, but let's be complete). Also, TGMD is incorrect since a Roosting poke with Levitate is still immune to Ground attacks; Roost only removes the Flying typing (if the poke is a Flying type), but does nothing to remove the immunity Levitate provides. Yeah, it's counterintuitive, but I bet there are much worse things...

Smogon said:
This does not apply to non-Flying-types who use Roost, and Pokemon with Levitate who use Roost do not forfeit their Ground immunities.
http://www.smogon.com/bw/moves/roost

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gdi, I know that, brain farts are cool a_a Thanks for clearing that up Ganj4lf.

Rhys DeAnno

Slacking Off
According to new sleep clause, imagine I am facing scarf Breloom. I switch in my sleep sac and it gets spored. Then since I do not know it is scarf, I switch in my breloom check, and it gets spored again. Since this isn't banned by new sleep clause, am I just sad with two sleeping pokes on my team? This seems kind of bad.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
To add to that question, what happens you have a last Pokemon Scarf Breloom with Spore as its only move? It wouldn't affect anything competitively in OU, so maybe a better example would be for Ubers with Darkrai and its Bad Dreams ability.

EDIT: As in, would it fall under Sleep Clause?

blitzlefan

shake it off!
To add to that question, what happens you have a last Pokemon Scarf Breloom with Spore as its only move? It wouldn't affect anything competitively in OU, so maybe a better example would be for Ubers with Darkrai and its Bad Dreams ability.

Ummm... I doubt it's Sleep Clause since you technically ARE forced into using Spore with Breloom. Also... I've never seen anybody come back from down 6-1 with a scarf Darkrai locked into Dark Void... so don't worry about it. :)

In lets say a scarf terrakion.
would running
close combat/ x-scissor/ stone edge/ earthquake

be better than the standard
CC/ x-scissor/ SE/ rock slide or sacred sword?

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
eq, rock slide, sacred sword - they're all interchangeable moves in the fourth slot that you will hardly ever click anyway on terrak. honestly i would not pull out hairs over this slot but here is a quick break down

- eq is useful for breaking through poison types a bit faster since stone edge often doesn't leave much mark without a boost (esp tentacruel, the most common bulky poison type in OU). sucks to be locked into eq though, and really poison types are the only thing it helps against (neutral CC is almost as strong as SE earthquake and much less risky for a choiced mon).

- rock slide is useful for a more reliable revenge on things that are already within kill range. it saves you the stress of worrying about a stone edge miss. the reduced damage means you'll be forced out more easily afterwards but hey at least you revenged something and didn't outright lose. rock slide is probably your best bet, honestly.

- sacred sword is only useful against things that boost defense. in OU that's limited to noobs using cosmic power/stockpile on random stuff, and bulk uppers. most bulk uppers can take rak on 1v1 anyway (conk and croak are the only usable bulk-uppers in OU) so i don't even understand why this is up for consideration

- quick attack is useful for two situations: 1) non choiced rak kills a sash dugtrio with it to avoid being eliminated and 2) band rak has enough power to revenge faster mons with it. since you are running scarf rak this will pack very little punch and it sucks to be locked into quick attack. this is a no no.

- double kick is a VERY rare option but i have seen it. it has some very niche uses - beating certain substitute users (back in bw1 a friend of mine killed my sub+3 magnezone using double kick rak -_-) and beating certain very squishy sashed leads, like smeargle. even counting both hits, it's half as strong as close combat, but hey, it does do certain things.

ahh i can't think of any other random 4th slot options on terrak so there you go

In lets say a scarf terrakion.
would running
close combat/ x-scissor/ stone edge/ earthquake

be better than the standard
CC/ x-scissor/ SE/ rock slide or sacred sword?
Based on my own personal experience, Rock Slide is the way to go on Choice Scarf Terrakion sets. It tends to be most talented when it comes to revenge killing boosting threats such as Volcarona, Salamence and Dragonite. Anyone who has used Stone Edge extensively in the past will know that it always seems to miss in the worst possible situations. Whilst Rock Slide does not have perfect accuracy either, it is much more reliable than Stone Edge, and is strong enough most of the time to get the job done. Earthquake allows Terrakion to hit Toxicroak hard and do a little more to Jirachi/Tentacruel, but I find that this isn't necessary as Scarf Terrakion isn't really designed to punch holes through the opponent's team like the CB / SD sets do.

mmm yeah.Rock Slide is the better choice. That miss on SE can matter alot. and rock slide misses half as often as stone edge. Yeah. Thanks both of you.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Let's say a Scarf Loom get trapped by Wobbuffet.
He spores the Wobb on the switch.
Then Wobbuffet switch out, as Breloom keep using Spore (he has no other choice).
Will the switch in be affected by Spore, does it break the Sleep cause ?

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Let's say a Scarf Loom get trapped by Wobbuffet.
He spores the Wobb on the switch.
Then Wobbuffet switch out, as Breloom keep using Spore (he has no other choice).
Will the switch in be affected by Spore, does it break the Sleep cause ?
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3457184

there is really no answer for this, some people would say yes it breaks sleep clause while some others would say that they don't want to create new win conditions by forcing some one to break sleep clause so sleep clause wouldn't apply here.
This only helds true for cartridge game play since on simulators sleep moves simply fail after you have already put something to sleep.

OU Banded Scizor move set question

Hello , I'm new , tell me if I'm posting on the wrong category :x
So I have a standard Banded OU Scizor IN A SMASH PASS TEAM .
The problem is I do not know what Bug type move to run on it ...
The dilemma - BUG BITE - has sweeping potential , has technician stab boost .
- U-TURN - less sweeping potential , has scouting element and stab .

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Bug bite on a smash passing team if Scizor is the intended SmashPass recipient though I would not recommend using him as such. U-turn if he is not the intended recipient

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you're running ridiculous Choice QuickPass, don't use Scizor as a recipient. Bug Bite powerful and everything but you have to be sure to get rid of Heatran and Skarmory to actually pull off a sweep since you'll be locked into Bug Bite; why not just use a Dragon-type like Haxorus to give you better neutral coverage? CB Haxorus literally only needs Outrage and Earthquake to outspeed and rape the metagame. Here's calcs at +2. Too lazy to format prettier:
Skarmory (OU Physically Defensive) Outrage 60.77 - 71.55% Earthquake 0 - 0%
Forretress (OU Physically Defensive) Earthquake 66.1 - 77.96% Outrage 59.32 - 70.05%
Ferrothorn (OU Standard) Earthquake 75 - 88.35% Outrage 67.32 - 79.26%
Skarmory (OU Specially Defensive) Outrage 79.04 - 93.11% Earthquake 0 - 0%
Forretress (OU Specially Defensive) Earthquake 82.76 - 97.45% Outrage 74.29 - 87.57%
Ferrothorn (OU Choice Band) Earthquake 88.6 - 104.55% Outrage 79.77 - 94.01%

You OHKO everything but these mons and super defensive stuff like Regirock (they don't have on-site analyses so they're not on Honkalculator). You could play it safer and go with Life Orb but you miss the OHKOs on stuff like Balloon Heatran and Magnezone, Hippowdown, and the rare Porygon2 and Cresselia. Finally, do not pass to Kyurem-B. It 2HKOes the same stuff but cannot OHKO nearly the amount of things since it doesn't get Earthquake.

Also I moved this question to this thread, since this is the thread for simple questions / answers. Ask here next time and welcome to Smogon!

Bug bite on a smash passing team if Scizor is the intended SmashPass recipient though I would not recommend using him as such. U-turn if he is not the intended recipient
If you're running ridiculous Choice QuickPass, don't use Scizor as a recipient. Bug Bite powerful and everything but you have to be sure to get rid of Heatran and Skarmory to actually pull off a sweep since you'll be locked into Bug Bite; why not just use a Dragon-type like Haxorus to give you better neutral coverage? CB Haxorus literally only needs Outrage and Earthquake to outspeed and rape the metagame. Here's calcs at +2. Too lazy to format prettier:
Skarmory (OU Physically Defensive) Outrage 60.77 - 71.55% Earthquake 0 - 0%
Forretress (OU Physically Defensive) Earthquake 66.1 - 77.96% Outrage 59.32 - 70.05%
Ferrothorn (OU Standard) Earthquake 75 - 88.35% Outrage 67.32 - 79.26%
Skarmory (OU Specially Defensive) Outrage 79.04 - 93.11% Earthquake 0 - 0%
Forretress (OU Specially Defensive) Earthquake 82.76 - 97.45% Outrage 74.29 - 87.57%
Ferrothorn (OU Choice Band) Earthquake 88.6 - 104.55% Outrage 79.77 - 94.01%

You OHKO everything but these mons and super defensive stuff like Regirock (they don't have on-site analyses so they're not on Honkalculator). You could play it safer and go with Life Orb but you miss the OHKOs on stuff like Balloon Heatran and Magnezone, Hippowdown, and the rare Porygon2 and Cresselia. Finally, do not pass to Kyurem-B. It 2HKOes the same stuff but cannot OHKO nearly the amount of things since it doesn't get Earthquake.

Also I moved this question to this thread, since this is the thread for simple questions / answers. Ask here next time and welcome to Smogon!
Ok cool thx :x I wouldn't like to use a Haxorous cos its kinda OP so I just want to give myself a challenge :x So if my Scizor is the receiver of the smash pass , what Evs would I split it into ? Do I use the Smogon Choice scarf or choice band EV set ?

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Honestly, don't give yourself a challenge. Maximize your chances of winning with whatever strategy. Potentially locking yourself into Bug Bite is does not do that. If you really must use Scizor, use Life Orb. You will at least OHKO heatran and 2HKO Skarmory (possibly OHKO Specially Defensive after SR) with Superpower and are free to spam Bug Bite or (steel move) after that. Still, Haxorus is faster, stronger, and has way better coverage in just two moves. It murders stuff that normally hard-counter it, which is pretty cool. CB Scizor, not so much.

Landoru-I's best friend

I'm wondering what a good offensive partner for Landorus-I (special RP sweeper) would be. I'm working on a "sand" team (has sand from tyranitar but certainly doesn't require sand to function, hence special landorus over physical) that currently runs like so: Tyranitar/Landorus-I/Scizor/Rotom-W/Latios/Terrakion.

Oddly enough I feel like terrakion is the weakest member of my team (crazy right?). I think I want it to function as a wall breaker for Landorus-I so I currently run sub/sd/cc/se w/salac (so terrakion can potentially sweep as well but I should likely run lo for pure power).

Anyway, my question is should I run something else that pairs better with Landorus-I offensively or am I just a really bad user of Terrakion?

Hint: the team (as mentioned above) already has 2 trappers so Lati@s and somewhat Gengar aren't much of a problem. I can see this team not liking ran weather wars though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)