1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Simple Questions & Simple Answers & General Resources (OU Edition) MK II

Discussion in 'BW OU' started by Matthew, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nova

Nova Samsung Alpaca
    is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

Yes because Steel is the only type that resist Dragon, so Magnezone can trap and take out things like Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Scizor paving the way for your Dragons to fire off unresisted Outrages and Draco Meteors
  2. G-Von

G-Von

Now that the Tornadus-T/Keldeo test has been finished, is there another pokemon or set of pokemon planned on being suspected? Or is it a little too soon to determine this since the voting finished only a couple days ago?
  3. alkinesthetase

alkinesthetase <@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
    is a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

i have heard from aldaron that it's sizing up to be deoxys-D, but discussions are probably still ongoing in #suspect
  4. G-Von

G-Von

Hmm interesting, thank you for the quick response!
  5. Shurtugal

Shurtugal The Enterpriser.
    is a Pre-Contributor

deod? its hardly broken lol. first keldeo and now deod? *sigh*

as for my question: why would deod be suspect?
  6. Nova

Nova Samsung Alpaca
    is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

It's because Deo-D creates a playstyle that takes basically no thought and with his bulk, there's very few attacks that can straight out OHKO him so its basically guaranteed Stealth Rocks and usually a layer of Spikes too which is essentially what sent Deo-S packing.
  7. Frochtejohgurt

Frochtejohgurt

Hi, does the Technican boost still apply to Flight Gem (or no item) Acrobatics?
  8. alkinesthetase

no you lose the tech boost if your acro is doubled by lack of item; this includes if you were carrying the flying gem
  9. Frochtejohgurt

Frochtejohgurt

OK, thanks.

Also I came up with another question. Why is this website called Smogon University and not Koffing University? Smogon is Koffing's German name, but this is an english forum.
  10. Trinitrotoluene

Trinitrotoluene (◕‿◕✿)
    is a Tutoris a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

A non sequitur question deserves a non sequitur answer. I believe the name Smogon University came about because of an inside joke between the earliest inhabitants of the site of something along the lines of "Nazi Pokemon" or something like that. Someone more in-tune with Smogon's history can answer this question better than me though...

I spend too much time in Thread Cryonics...
  11. hotcoldyay

hotcoldyay

How come manaphy is staying in ubers and not allowed in ou? Ive rarely seen it in uber battles and i dont see much about it that makes it broken. It seems perfectly viable, especially since its so heavily reliant on rain. I personally think she should be the next suspect.

And why is haxorus thrown out for other dragons and so sorely underrated?

Edit: btw, thanks to novaray for answering my last question.
  12. alkinesthetase

hydration+rest+tail glow/calm mind = boost up and ignore damage then sweep faces. the "it's so reliant on rain" argument is rather inaccurate considering that rain is already by far the most powerful weather and thus "reliant on rain" is not really a disadvantage for any pokemon

main problem with haxorus is it's usually too slow and not easy to set up with
  13. alexwolf

alexwolf King of Conquerors
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

@holdcoldyay

Haxorus's is best at destroying slow defensive teams, which are not so popular, which in turn leads to Haxorus being scrapped for Dragons more capable of facing the offensive teams that are everywhere.
  14. Jukain

Jukain fuck redew
    is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

@Trinitrotoluene:

A little late, but I'm pretty sure it comes from the original Smogon forums being Nazi themed. It was an inside joke. From what I've seen at least.

note to self: spend less time in internet archives
  15. pinky8bit

pinky8bit

is it worth thinking about leftovers, toxic heal gliscor and try to predict an incomming toxic or is it just to hard to pull off? because I watch some pokemonbattles on youtube, po or showdown and I am always happy to see interesting or original things but I have never seen that so.. is it too stupid or is that just something no one has tried yet (or not often enough that I could've seen it)
  16. alkinesthetase

the number of times you'll predict a toxic and walk away with 3/16ths per turn is nowhere near the number of times you won't get toxiced and have to suffer with 1/16th per turn. it's just people hoping they get lucky and more often than not, you won't. seeing as one of the #1 reasons to use gliscor over landorus-T is for the extra recovery and status immunity imparted by the toxic orb, it's definitely silly to not equip the toxic orb in the first place.
  17. Commander Vimes

Commander Vimes

Where can I find the current list of Ubers?
  18. Subject 18

Subject 18 Forever Childish.
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Server Moderator

This it right here. You can find it in the Ubers RMT sections and there is a thread titled OU's ban list.

Edit: Changed the link.
  19. rolrctermaniac

rolrctermaniac

Go into the smogon strategy pokedex and click uber next to one of the Arecus forms

[​IMG]

always current, plus you get a strategy dex.
  20. hotcoldyay

hotcoldyay

Thanks for the answers on manaphy and haxorus :)

Is this set viable for virizion in ou? I made it up :P

Virizion @ Life Orb
    Hasty, 30/31/30/31/31/31
    64 Atk/192 SpA/252 Spe
    -Calm Mind
    -Giga Drain
    -Close Combat
    -Hidden Power Ice 70

Although somewhat odd and counter productive to its special defense, close combat is extremely useful. This seemingly typical calm mind variant lures in blissey and ohkos 4/0 variants with the given evs and life orb through close combat. It can also severely hamper and 2hko, if not outright ohko after previous damage, ferrothorn. Hasty is so choice locked politoed and keldeo and to an extent cm latias are walled nicely and fairly enough, respectively.

Ive tried it and its been working nicely so far. Im just curious to know if this set actually is as viable as ive been lead to believe through my experimentation.
  21. alkinesthetase

nobody runs 4/0 blissey, where would the other 256 EVs be >_> besides a +1 focus blast has a pretty good chance of 2hkoing some blissey variants if you're LO. if you aren't LO, the worst blissey can do to you is status (lum that shit) or seismic toss as you boost again and hit it.

you CAN run close combat as a lure, but there is a different set that is better suited to that, which was the mixed viriz with work up. it's not really about work up on that set, the boost is really just there as an option if you ever get an opening. on your current set, chances are you're better off with focus blast for more power against most opponents.
  22. hotcoldyay

hotcoldyay

Oops i meant 4/252 calm blissey, sorry about that. Im seriously deprived of sleep XD im guessing it still doesnt change the circumstances.

The huge problem i have with focus blast, however, is that accuracy. It always misses when i need it, and hits when i dont really need it at all. And i have to rely on virizion as it fills a niche that breloom and celebi could never rely fulfill: taking hits In general, more so specially, and countering dark types, most especially tyranitar. Respectively.
  23. Box

Box

4/252 means 252 Def EVs when the attacking move is physical.

4/252 Calm doesn't exist.

You're much better off using the Mixed Attacker set, though if you're looking for something to sponge special hits I am perplexed as to why you want to use the offensive sets.
  24. Onicon

Onicon

You are about to confure us - again, the third time.

With all due respect, isn't it a bit preticipate to say, 4/252 Calm Blissey does not exist, when they are used in the on-site analysis? Granted, they outdated, but even according the actual stats this spread is used on one of five Blisseys.

So are we allowed ask again? What kind of advantages does 4/252/252 Calm has over the classic 252/252/4 Bold?
  25. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the astronaut's best friend >:3
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Doubles Co-Lead

your answer lies here
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)