Simple Questions & Simple Answers & General Resources (OU Edition) MK II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is the only point of that is to trap steel types with Magnezone?
Yes because Steel is the only type that resist Dragon, so Magnezone can trap and take out things like Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Scizor paving the way for your Dragons to fire off unresisted Outrages and Draco Meteors

Now that the Tornadus-T/Keldeo test has been finished, is there another pokemon or set of pokemon planned on being suspected? Or is it a little too soon to determine this since the voting finished only a couple days ago?

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
i have heard from aldaron that it's sizing up to be deoxys-D, but discussions are probably still ongoing in #suspect

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
deod? its hardly broken lol. first keldeo and now deod? *sigh*

as for my question: why would deod be suspect?
It's because Deo-D creates a playstyle that takes basically no thought and with his bulk, there's very few attacks that can straight out OHKO him so its basically guaranteed Stealth Rocks and usually a layer of Spikes too which is essentially what sent Deo-S packing.

alkinesthetase

no you lose the tech boost if your acro is doubled by lack of item; this includes if you were carrying the flying gem

no you lose the tech boost if your acro is doubled by lack of item; this includes if you were carrying the flying gem
OK, thanks.

Also I came up with another question. Why is this website called Smogon University and not Koffing University? Smogon is Koffing's German name, but this is an english forum.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OK, thanks.

Also I came up with another question. Why is this website Smogon University and not Koffing University? Smogon is Koffing's German name, but this is an english forum.
A non sequitur question deserves a non sequitur answer. I believe the name Smogon University came about because of an inside joke between the earliest inhabitants of the site of something along the lines of "Nazi Pokemon" or something like that. Someone more in-tune with Smogon's history can answer this question better than me though...

I spend too much time in Thread Cryonics...

How come manaphy is staying in ubers and not allowed in ou? Ive rarely seen it in uber battles and i dont see much about it that makes it broken. It seems perfectly viable, especially since its so heavily reliant on rain. I personally think she should be the next suspect.

And why is haxorus thrown out for other dragons and so sorely underrated?

Edit: btw, thanks to novaray for answering my last question.

alkinesthetase

hydration+rest+tail glow/calm mind = boost up and ignore damage then sweep faces. the "it's so reliant on rain" argument is rather inaccurate considering that rain is already by far the most powerful weather and thus "reliant on rain" is not really a disadvantage for any pokemon

main problem with haxorus is it's usually too slow and not easy to set up with

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
@holdcoldyay

Haxorus's is best at destroying slow defensive teams, which are not so popular, which in turn leads to Haxorus being scrapped for Dragons more capable of facing the offensive teams that are everywhere.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
@Trinitrotoluene:

A little late, but I'm pretty sure it comes from the original Smogon forums being Nazi themed. It was an inside joke. From what I've seen at least.

note to self: spend less time in internet archives

is it worth thinking about leftovers, toxic heal gliscor and try to predict an incomming toxic or is it just to hard to pull off? because I watch some pokemonbattles on youtube, po or showdown and I am always happy to see interesting or original things but I have never seen that so.. is it too stupid or is that just something no one has tried yet (or not often enough that I could've seen it)

alkinesthetase

the number of times you'll predict a toxic and walk away with 3/16ths per turn is nowhere near the number of times you won't get toxiced and have to suffer with 1/16th per turn. it's just people hoping they get lucky and more often than not, you won't. seeing as one of the #1 reasons to use gliscor over landorus-T is for the extra recovery and status immunity imparted by the toxic orb, it's definitely silly to not equip the toxic orb in the first place.

Thanks for the answers on manaphy and haxorus :)

Is this set viable for virizion in ou? I made it up :P

Virizion @ Life Orb
Hasty, 30/31/30/31/31/31
64 Atk/192 SpA/252 Spe
-Calm Mind
-Giga Drain
-Close Combat
-Hidden Power Ice 70

Although somewhat odd and counter productive to its special defense, close combat is extremely useful. This seemingly typical calm mind variant lures in blissey and ohkos 4/0 variants with the given evs and life orb through close combat. It can also severely hamper and 2hko, if not outright ohko after previous damage, ferrothorn. Hasty is so choice locked politoed and keldeo and to an extent cm latias are walled nicely and fairly enough, respectively.

Ive tried it and its been working nicely so far. Im just curious to know if this set actually is as viable as ive been lead to believe through my experimentation.

alkinesthetase

nobody runs 4/0 blissey, where would the other 256 EVs be >_> besides a +1 focus blast has a pretty good chance of 2hkoing some blissey variants if you're LO. if you aren't LO, the worst blissey can do to you is status (lum that shit) or seismic toss as you boost again and hit it.

you CAN run close combat as a lure, but there is a different set that is better suited to that, which was the mixed viriz with work up. it's not really about work up on that set, the boost is really just there as an option if you ever get an opening. on your current set, chances are you're better off with focus blast for more power against most opponents.

nobody runs 4/0 blissey, where would the other 256 EVs be >_> besides a +1 focus blast has a pretty good chance of 2hkoing some blissey variants if you're LO. if you aren't LO, the worst blissey can do to you is status (lum that shit) or seismic toss as you boost again and hit it.

you CAN run close combat as a lure, but there is a different set that is better suited to that, which was the mixed viriz with work up. it's not really about work up on that set, the boost is really just there as an option if you ever get an opening. on your current set, chances are you're better off with focus blast for more power against most opponents.
Oops i meant 4/252 calm blissey, sorry about that. Im seriously deprived of sleep XD im guessing it still doesnt change the circumstances.

The huge problem i have with focus blast, however, is that accuracy. It always misses when i need it, and hits when i dont really need it at all. And i have to rely on virizion as it fills a niche that breloom and celebi could never rely fulfill: taking hits In general, more so specially, and countering dark types, most especially tyranitar. Respectively.

4/252 means 252 Def EVs when the attacking move is physical.

4/252 Calm doesn't exist.

You're much better off using the Mixed Attacker set, though if you're looking for something to sponge special hits I am perplexed as to why you want to use the offensive sets.

You are about to confure us - again, the third time.

With all due respect, isn't it a bit preticipate to say, 4/252 Calm Blissey does not exist, when they are used in the on-site analysis? Granted, they outdated, but even according the actual stats this spread is used on one of five Blisseys.

So are we allowed ask again? What kind of advantages does 4/252/252 Calm has over the classic 252/252/4 Bold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)