1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules.
  3. Want real-time art feedback? Want to meet YILX FIRST PLACE ARTIST? Come chat with us in the studio's IRC channel! Log onto #smeargle on SynIRC, or click this link to visit us via mibbit!
  4. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Smeargle Card Project

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Studio' started by icepick, Jan 1, 2013.

1. icepick

icepick she brings the rain
    is an Artist

Yes, please join!

1. I think right now, the best option would be to have everyone do their own text however they feel is best incorporated into their card. Once we have all the cards done, someone can format them with borders and text covering the artists' text, and at that point we can compare and decide. Or at that point we could have both options available, to suit those who want to play with the cards and those that just want to collect them.
    2. Since Zracknel is interested, I'll leave it to him
    3. The cards won't be sold, but rather the images will be available for people to independently print. I discussed this in IRC yesterday and there will not be quality check, though I encourage people to seek critique and advice in this thread.
    4. There's no set darkness, these are art cards first, and playing cards second. However artists can consider practicality however they want.

That's a fine idea, I would suggest people to leave a 1/8 inch bleed at the edges of the card where there are no important details so we can decide later if we want a border.

I covered most of this in my reply to eagle4, but the general approach I would like is to leave all options on the table until we have all the cards drawn, then experiment with formatting. For now though, we can have the artists make their own text.

Absolutely, though I would also love to see you do a card face as well
  2. Alice

Alice The worst taste in music

is traditional media allowed?

i may consider doing something with lilligant if so... >_>
  3. icepick

is an Artist

If you have a scanner or some other way to get a good quality pic, then certainly

or if you don't someone can probably mess with it in photoshop and get a good result
  4. Swaggersaurus

Swaggersaurus I DON'T NEED A MAN
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

would love a two tone red checked ornate pokeball back design from you, zracknel!!
  5. Kirbyofthestars

Kirbyofthestars

I'd rather a bit of quality check, just in case...

Also, for the darkness, I had a great idea of Cofagrigus (Jack of Clubs) being inside the Relic Castle, with the background fading out into darkness... I'll try and work on it, but since I'm not too skilled at using Paint (the program) solely for things like this, I might not be able to do it very well.
  6. Bummer

Bummer Too quite.
    is an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Art Co-Leader

10 of clubs.

[​IMG]

old versions (open)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Edit: Another version, slightly different background and enhanced aura around club tree.

Edit 2: okay so this looks insanely dark on my work computer, so I'll work on lighting things up a bit later I will never be content with this image heh ugh

Edit 3: Brighter now.
  7. Juicy Fruit

Juicy Fruit

Initial sketch attempt at Mewtwo - Ace of Clubs.
    Is the card suit evident enough in the picture?

[​IMG]
  8. Mastadi

Mastadi

Gonna have a shot at Darkrai for Ace of Diamonds, reserving it I guess even tho I kinda suck at art????
  9. ium

ium rowan is an ape
    is an official Team Rateris an Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

10. Swaggersaurus

Swaggersaurus I DON'T NEED A MAN
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

how about portraying mewtwo in his sphere-firing pose? that way you can do what you've done with this fingers making the clubs sign, but twice over with one hand above the other, the lower hand the other way around

this way you can mirror the suite the way it would be in the corner of the card, and compositionally you won't have to worry about him being sorta stuck in a corner with the clubs sign slightly off centre

the concept of his digits as the clubs sign is fantastic
  11. Eagle4

Eagle4

ium and bummer they're both absolutely fantastic, good job on those! And thanks for the response Icepick, although I do want to chat with you tomorrow or something (i need to sleep now) about some of your answers, since I don't agree with some of them.
  12. Alice

Alice The worst taste in music

I've got a scanner but I wouldn't mind someone else cleaning the picture with PS >_<

ok then I guess I pick 5 of hearts, lilligant

BTW is there a deadline or something? it may take me some time coz i'm busy with something else atm, probably a week more or less >_<
  13. icepick

is an Artist

No deadlines, I'll check up on you if we start running out of cards.

I think swaggersaurus already has KD reserved.
  14. Mastadi

Mastadi

I was meaning to write Ace of Diamonds, K wouldn't really work with the concept I had in mind, sorry!
  15. Nastyjungle

Nastyjungle fat and sassy
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

[​IMG]

two of clubs
  16. SnowPeashooters

SnowPeashooters

Hehe well, I'm done with mine. It was bluish-purple at first, but after looking at the comments, I messed around with the colour scheme so it became this. If you guys come to a decision about whether the heart/the font needs to be removed, I'll post a changed version.

[EDIT] I really have no idea why Photobucket keeps changing the size, so is it possible for you to download it from my Deviantart account?
    http://snowpeashooters.deviantart.com/art/Altaria-Card-346373138?ga_submit=10%3A1357182059

And um, here's the smaller version:
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]
  17. Mastadi

Mastadi

Are you sure you used the correct pixel density? It should be 300 DPI

Also, most people it'd seem are using thumbnails and linking to the actual picture
  18. icepick

is an Artist

Just a heads up, yours is 731 × 1024
    Also if you guys can post a smaller version at 50%, that would be cool
  19. ium

ium rowan is an ape
    is an official Team Rateris an Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

i'll work on jack of diamonds l8r.

i might change my mind and do king of something, not sure.

chomper
  20. Nastyjungle

Nastyjungle fat and sassy
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

ill also nab the seven of diamonds if nobody minds
  21. veiva

veiva

If possible, I'd like to snag the King of Hearts! I have a excellent idea for a Ditto.

edit: Done...

[​IMG]
  22. ium

ium rowan is an ape

chomper

[​IMG]
  23. Pocket

Pocket GOJIRA
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Doubles Co-Leader

man Ditto would be a good Joker
  24. Kirbyofthestars

Kirbyofthestars

Yikes! How are you guys doing these so fast; I'm having trouble just making the Pokemon...
  25. elcheeso

elcheeso
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderator

By the way, I found a site that sells customised cards for $8 a deck (and $6 for shipping to both the US and Aus). Obviously not 100% sure on quality since I haven't used it before but hey, it's an option. Printer Studio

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)