The Everything NFL Thread - 2013-2014 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
um peyton didnt have 3 of his starting offensive line against a defense that made significant strides this year and look to be getting even better i mean jeez to this point the broncos had played the stellar defenses of the cowboys, eagles, giants, jaguars, and raiders is it really a shock that vs a defense that was much better vs the pass and with those injuries he didn't have as astounding as a game as he normally does. peyton played great considering the circumstances

Last edited:
The jaguars defense is underrated as hell. They only give up 35 points because the offense is all time bad. At least post cap. Thats probably the best defense they've played this year and imo Peyton had a worse game against them.

what

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

if you dont want to buy into that, they dont produce turnovers, opposing qbs have a 105.3 rating when playing vs the jags with a 15 td/3 int stat, the jaguars are giving up 4.6 yards per carry on the ground, and opponents are converting 42% of their 3rd downs vs the jaguars.

what part of that screams underrated defense

Oposing qbs have good ratings against them because they can(and always do) run the ball down the jags throat. Qbs all become nothing more than game managers against the jags because there is no threat from the offense. It's really, really hard for a defense to do anything when the other team is just running the ball until it breaks them. Jag games just become a race to get the 60 minutes in. Qbs can phone it in.

It isn't the best defense in the league obviously, but better than the colts and underrated... If only because those stats make them seem horrendous when they're actually not that bad.

thats... just not true. quarterbacks don't magically become 100x better because you can run the ball. quarterbacks have good ratings vs the jaguars because the jaguars suck. being unable to stop the pass and the run doesn't mean you're actually good in one stat.

the colts pass defense has been great so far and they have just as bad of a run defense as the jaguars. why is there pass defense not suffering if they have the exact same problem as the jags? honestly i'm not sure where you pulled this "the jaguars defense is actually good" argument because you seem to switch your stance at a whim. first you say the defense is good, then you say that the run defense is so awful that it makes them look worse than they are. well...if they cant stop the run whatsoever, doesnt that indicate a bad defense? does the blowout losses not indicate a bad defense? there is literally nothing in your favor that says "this defense is actually good" you're just making stuff up and its so random. find me some numbers/sources/SOMETHING that proves your point. i gave you the jag's defensive statistics and footballoutsider's defensive reports so im not sure what else i could possibly say here.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Tebow tends to underthrow and Freeman tends to overthrow, so maybe we can fuse the two together to make a superQB who is 6'6", built like an RB and throws perfect balls?

I like Trent and knew all this but heads up, this guy is supposed to be the best RB in a draft class. He HAS to be compared to Peterson or whatever all time great you can think of. And his career will either be up there or he'll be a complete bust... In peoples eyes. There is no middle ground for Trent. Not fair obv but thats why he has so many haters.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Josh Freeman out with a concussion.

By God can either Freeman or the Vikings catch a break? I bet Freeman wasn't thinking: "okay so my coach will turn out to be a sociopath hellbent on destroying my reputation, publicizing every minor personal issue I have, then cutting me so I can get picked up by a doormat team and then get concussed during my first game. I can't wait for the season to start!"

Also the Vikings probably weren't thinking: "Let's follow up our playoff season by watching our MVP running back drop to 19th in the NFL in yards per carry while every one of our quarterbacks either get injured or plays like he's injured so we pick up a guy who was run out of Tampa Fucking Bay to be our quarterback only to watch his brains get scrambled after being on the field for precisely 23 and a half minutes. Super Bowl or bust, guys, right?"

To help keep you guys from being slaves to stupidity/conformity, I hope this helps someone out

Teams to win Super Bowl last 5 years, record rank: 2005 T-5, 2006 T-4, 2007 T-7, 2008 T-2, 2009 T-1, 2010 T-6, 2011 T-10, 2012 T-9

So please, please tell your family, tell your friends, tell your enemies that the Chiefs are not the fucking god damn best team in the NFL ;_______________________; beating up 6 non-winning teams and one winning team by 1 point with game manager football & an admittedly good defense does not a good team make..Alex Smith is not taking anybody to a Super Bowl without the defense going full 2000 Ravens on us.

Last edited:
Not sure why you exploded in this thread. I haven't read a single post in this thread saying that the chiefs are the best team.

All the sucking has made me hate the chargers, raiders and chiefs alot less but suddenly i could live without the chiefs. And yes, they're going 5-11 next year and we are going to see the same people surprised when a playoff team becomes bad. It happens every year.

The Chiefs certainly aren't the best team, but they deserve respect all the same. It's never a walk in the park, no matter how easy the schedule is, for a team to be undefeated through seven games. And I'm not even a Chiefs fan, but I don't get why everyone is calling them "overrated," seeing as most people don't respect the fact they're 7-0, therefore not even making them "rated" in the first place.

No they fucking do not. Nobody "deserves respect" for beating up 2-5 teams and this year's NFC East.

How are they not overrated? Ordinary people, both those who work in sports and fans who casually dissect sports, are slaves to perception and not willing to make actual incision, so the Chiefs automatically occupy the #1 spot for a shitload of people. When people are stopping to consider whether or not that team is better than the Colts, Saints, Seahawks, Broncos, Packers, 49ers, Patriots...that is a complete joke.

I have no idea where you're getting that from. I literally know of nobody who thinks the Chiefs are the best team in the NFL. Nobody on Smogon who posts on this thread appears to think so either.

Okay guys, Del Rio has definitely talked to more than 10 or 20 people recently about which teams in the NFL are strong so I definitely must be out of my fucking mind.

Wait you mean we do not share all the same friends in common and encounter the same people talking about the same shit? *gasp*

You are out of your mind. Everything you post in this thread is fucking retarded, from Flacco's career being complete shit to the Chiefs not deserving respect just because they took advantage of the schedule that was dealt to them, yet they win every game they were supposed to and others they weren't (which is hard to do in the NFL from week to week).

I think Manning said it best before facing the Jaguars, in that it's not easy to win an NFL game. Even against "weak" teams, underestimating an opponent is not a good idea.

Yup I am out of my mind. Clearly when I went anti-Flacco this summer, that sooooo bit me in the ass. Clearly the Chiefs deserve respect for beating up 2 2-5 teams and an 0-7 team, what fucking warriors, what immense bravery.

Nobody "deserves" respect for playing a game, that is just cut and dried. You have not provided anything like a logical argument to counter that opinion, all you did was get specifically personal with me instead. I do not mind it at all, but I cannot understand why you want to act like you get to take the high road at the same time as that.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Don't listen to Kirby, Del Rio. He's just being abrasive for the purpose of being abrasive. This thread is reasonably intelligent enough to realize that the Chiefs are obviously not the best team in the NFL. Yes, being 7-0 is an accomplishment and the fact that the Chiefs haven't slipped up against inferior competition when other great teams like the 49ers and Saints have speaks to their consistency and all that, but KC's not winning the division and probably isn't getting out of the wild card round unless they're lucky to get the wildly overrated Patriots in the first round.

Kansas City is definitely a top-10 team this year, but they're not better than teams like the Seahawks, 49ers, Bengals, Colts, or Packers. I'd take the Eagles over them if they can stay healthy, too. KC's got easily the best defense in the league but their offense is far below average. If the defense wasn't playing lights-out so far then Alex Smith would not be able to win these games with his arm. He's a top-20 quarterback whose claim to fame is "I don't do much, but I don't fuck up either", just like he's been for the past two years.

Also, people have to stop giving the Buccaneers so little credit. Everyone's hyping up the Jaguars as this year's complete embarrassment to professional football, but the Buccaneers are just as pitiful on offense now that their QB-RB combo is Mike Glennon-Mike James and Schiano doesn't understand that you actually have to use Darrelle Revis correctly in order for him to play well. Both teams' defenses are only below average as opposed to terrible, but as long as the Buccaneers and Jaguars' offenses continue to be the 4th and 5th- best offenses in the state of Florida (behind the Miami Dolphins, Miami Hurricanes, and Florida State Seminoles, of course), they could both push for 0-16. And honestly, if I had to pick a team that really has the desire to rewrite the record books of sucking, it's Tampa Bay.

Also, the Buccaneers should bring in Tebow. He could do a better job than Schiano and would at least sell tickets, right?

Last edited:
The Bucs are actually pretty decent at every position except head coach.

Mike Glennon's actually doing much better than Josh Freeman was, and has gotten better each of the last three weeks. They actually have a top 15 defense using both conventional and advanced metrics, and are especially good at rush defense. If Glennon can be average they can scrounge together a few wins, but hopefully it won't be enough to save Schiano's job... that man is just an awful, awful head coach.

The Chiefs are basically the 2012 Atlanta Falcons, jumping out to the best record in the league thanks to a super easy schedule and an obscenely high turnover margin. Things will probably come down a bit in the 2nd half of the season, but they're probably no threat in games where the opponents will score 28+ points (ie Denver, New Orleans, Indianapolis, New England if they can get their shit together) thanks to game manager Smith.

To help keep you guys from being slaves to stupidity/conformity, I hope this helps someone out

Teams to win Super Bowl last 5 years, record rank: 2005 T-5, 2006 T-4, 2007 T-7, 2008 T-2, 2009 T-1, 2010 T-6, 2011 T-10, 2012 T-9

So please, please tell your family, tell your friends, tell your enemies that the Chiefs are not the fucking god damn best team in the NFL ;_______________________;
so you're finally admitting the 2012 Ravens and the 2007/2011 Giants were the best teams in the NFL those years? hehehe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)