The Everything NFL Thread - 2013-2014 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Schiano isn't an awful head coach, he's an awful human being.

Combee must live in some alternate universe where people think the Chiefs are the best team in the NFL because I sure haven't and apparently nobody else has actually heard that anywhere. I do like them more than most people seem to, though. also why did he list "last 5 years" and then proceed to list the last eight

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I mean some of NFL.com's analysts have the Chefs at #1 but to the best of my knowledge nobody in this thread takes that site seriously. Not sure why we have to be so damned hostile to one another just because we disagree on some points.

If I were to rank the Chefs seriously I'd probably put them at #4 or 5, behind teams like the Colts, Broncos, Saints and Seahawks. The 49ers and Pats are in the mix as well but too inconsistent so far this year. The Bengals are not better than the Chiefs though, I promise you that.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Chiefs' D is dominant, Tamba Hali is having an D-MVP-like season. The Chiefs' O? Average at best. Alex Smith's rating is hilariously low, and Jamaal Charles isn't really scaring anyone right now. There's a reason their most impressive win of the season so far was a 17-16 squeaker.

I mean some of NFL.com's analysts have the Chefs at #1 but to the best of my knowledge nobody in this thread takes that site seriously. Not sure why we have to be so damned hostile to one another just because we disagree on some points.

If I were to rank the Chefs seriously I'd probably put them at #4 or 5, behind teams like the Colts, Broncos, Saints and Seahawks. The 49ers and Pats are in the mix as well but too inconsistent so far this year. The Bengals are not better than the Chiefs though, I promise you that.
seems like nfl writers have been drinkin that kool-aid

The best team is definitely not always the team to win the Super Bowl, and the best team is definitely not always the team with the best record. In both cases a lot of luck can skew the results over such a small sample size (16 games is nothing, neither are 19 or 20). Other factors like beating up on zombie teams can do it too.

DetroitTrollCat, at what point was I "abrasive just to be abrasive?" I brought up a general topic that applies this week, I was never "abrasive just to be abrasive". The Chiefs also do not easily have the best defense in the league, so given the glib, hyperbolic slipup, you indicate despite your robble robble no one around is buying into hype!!! speech, you easily bought into a false hype. The Seattle PEDs have easily had the best defense from the get go this season.

Chiefs' D is dominant, Tamba Hali is having an D-MVP-like season. The Chiefs' O? Average at best. Alex Smith's rating is hilariously low, and Jamaal Charles isn't really scaring anyone right now. There's a reason their most impressive win of the season so far was a 17-16 squeaker.
The RB who is 2nd in total yards isnt scaring anyone? He's been the most consistent RB this year and he's a legit MVP candidate.

Interesting, this is the first time the Panthers have been above .500 since 2008 I read? Thought they had some stretch in those years where they were above temporarily.

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
Nah, our best since 08 was 8-8 in 2009 - 2010 we went 2-14 - then the cam newton era. We never stretched above a winning record the 8-8 season. We were 4-7 at the end of the season and we won the last 4 of 5 with Matt Moore.

The RB who is 2nd in total yards isnt scaring anyone? He's been the most consistent RB this year and he's a legit MVP candidate.
People are down on him for his low y/a. Personally, I want to see that number suffer at least another full season before making a judgment (but really you need that Cedric Benson three year fall to 3.9 y/a to really know imo). Barry Sanders never carried a consistent year to year running average, this is no different yet, unless you think he permanently lost something to his injury.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
I could be retarded, but I've always associated consistent ypa numbers to be correlated to consistent blocking more than anything else. Barry Sanders not having a consistent running average was just, IDK intuitive? Alternatively Foster being 4.5 +/- .4 every year of his career with the good Houston Blocking also just made a ton of sense.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Barry Sanders was a back that you just had to watch on tape to realize how ridiculous he was. His yardage totals were impressive yes, but his fluctuating YPC is misleading on paper. I still see him as the GOAT based on what I physically saw from him by watching games, not by stats.

Barry's critics would say he was always trying to hit the home run. So while he's one of the best talents to ever play, his style of running meant a fluctuating YPC average and quite a few three and outs for the Lions' offense. Guess you can't really fault him for trying to make a play since the Lions only won a single playoff game in all his years there.

his body type did not allow him to consistently push piles or otherwise get more than his blocking provided unless there was open space for him to move. so yeah, sometimes he'd get stopped in the backfield and lose 4 or 5 yards compared to a larger back that would more willingly follow a shitty block into the line and net zero yards or something... the tradeoff, of course, was that sometimes this extra yardage ended up being a touchdown from anywhere on the field, or at least a huge gain.

imagine if barry sanders had been on, say, the broncos or 49ers during that same period. i can't profess to know how good barry's o-lines were during his career, but there's no doubt he could have a much better setup on offense. how effective do you think emmitt smith would have been in barry's shoes? how effective would barry have been in dallas?

Watching this Miami-NE game is making me sick, so many terrible calls. NFL has to keep their precious Patriots in contention. What a bunch of bs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)