The Fysical Phitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Just a question; are you confusing your pain with soreness?

If you're experiencing soreness then I would suggest then just a few days will do it. Not sure what type of workout program you're on, so I can't advice much. But if you're a begginer and you're struggling to squat the weight you're on, lower your weight. The only way to get better at the workouts is keep on doing them. No other exercises will aid you more in your situation.

I can assure you the reason for your pain is because you're overloading.

and I can assure you that your lower back is rounding on both lifts as a result. This can be for a number of reasons:

1. Bad form due to overloading/lack of practice, in which case you should deload and work on your form.
2. Lack of Hip/Hamstring flexibility, in which case you should deload, work on your form and also do dynamic stretching before workouts and on off days
3. Weak lower back/posterior chain, in which case you should deload, work on your form, do dynamic stretching, and also do some lower back/posterior chain assistance work.

Likely all three are at least somewhat of an issue

Some good assistance (and I want to stress the word ASSISTANCE, these are not substitutes for squats and deadlifts) exercises are Glute-Ham Raises, Supermans, Back Hyperextensions and Reverse Hyperextensions. You can probably find a good tutorial on youtube for each exercise, but you can always ask me if you need the help.

But what I really want to stress is deloading and working on your form (if you couldn't already tell). Proper form is crucial to avoiding injuries and progressing on lifts. I'm don't know how much weight you're doing right now on these lifts, but a good number would be to drop the weight by 15-20% for both lifts and work your way back up, focusing on proper form. Dynamic stretches help a lot, too.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
All 3 of your points lead up to the same exact thing I said: he is overloading.

When you're overloading it's obvious you're using full force to push something your body is not ready for, thus improper form while performing the exercise is probably happening.

btw OP, if you are a begginer and you're doing strength bases exercises, stick to 5x5 for a few months, just so you can get some good technique; once you get good form switch to 3x5 and start lifting heavy for real.

Some advice on squatting I'll pass on (strength workouts or not): start squatting on a weight where you can go all the way down and you can say that your balls almost touch the floor. You might think I'm joking, but trust me, mentally picture your balls touching the floor as you go down. Try to get your balls to the floor. Of course don't be a dumbass and actually get your balls to the floor, you'll hurt yourself, but pick a weight where you can go to that limit with no problem. Advance in weight from there.

That actually looks sick Venom, thanks for sharing! When I feel as though I start to plateau with my routine, I might just try out a Hypertrophy routine to use on alternate weeks to continually shock my body. They seem pretty intense which is what I'm looking for, lots of supersetting which I love. I'm curious though as to how to tell whether you're two reps from failure haha, personally I can't tell that easily until I'm actually at failure.
i use this routine, and the only problem is that its extremely heavy volume for an intermediate lifter. however, if you stick with it and don't go so hard on it the first few weeks, but rather acclimate to the volume and load, it is the best routine out there for a mix of strength and visual gains. i highly recommend this routine.

I posted this on another board but I expect to get a lot of dumb responses. One of Smogon's scientists must have the answer!
your answer is negatives sir. do negatives using the curling rack on the weak arm to strengthen it up. that, or just load the weaker arm with extra volume and more working sets. basically, don't let the strong arm continue to get ahead, let the other one catch up first before you move onto barbell exercises. stick to dumbell till you remove the asymmetry.

well yeah, but if you just say "you are overloading" and then he deloads, doesn't fix his form or flexibility and just works his way back up with bad form then nothing has been fixed. Arguably it might be made worse because it's harder to fix form when you're already used to squatting/deadlifting a certain way

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
You're assuming the OP is having problems performing technique, which is not even what he posted for in the first place. He might be performing excellent technique and we don't know, which is why I didn't suggest de-loading FOR proper technique; I don't know if the man is performing the exercises correctly or not. How can you fix something that ain't broke?

You're jumping to conclusions too fast.

better to tell someone to make sure they're using proper technique than to assume they are. You don't know if he is performing the exercises correctly or not, so why not drive home that he needs to make sure he is? It never hurts to practice form more.

I mean not to put you on the spot or anything, it's just that more likely than not there is something wrong with his form. This is true for most people as the squat and deadlift are incredibly difficult lifts to get down properly.

He posted that he's having lower back problems, and you jumped to the conclusion that he's overloading. While that's not a bad assumption, it's about as likely that he just doesn't have proper form. You don't need to be overloading to have back issues. It's most likely a combination of both.

Thanks for your replies guys sorry i took so long to reply

Just a question; are you confusing your pain with soreness?

If you're experiencing soreness then I would suggest then just a few days will do it. Not sure what type of workout program you're on, so I can't advice much. But if you're a begginer and you're struggling to squat the weight you're on, lower your weight. The only way to get better at the workouts is keep on doing them. No other exercises will aid you more in your situation.

Its deifinitely not soreness, its only one side of my back and its very very low on my back

and I can assure you that your lower back is rounding on both lifts as a result. This can be for a number of reasons:

1. Bad form due to overloading/lack of practice, in which case you should deload and work on your form.
2. Lack of Hip/Hamstring flexibility, in which case you should deload, work on your form and also do dynamic stretching before workouts and on off days
3. Weak lower back/posterior chain, in which case you should deload, work on your form, do dynamic stretching, and also do some lower back/posterior chain assistance work.

Likely all three are at least somewhat of an issue

Some good assistance (and I want to stress the word ASSISTANCE, these are not substitutes for squats and deadlifts) exercises are Glute-Ham Raises, Supermans, Back Hyperextensions and Reverse Hyperextensions. You can probably find a good tutorial on youtube for each exercise, but you can always ask me if you need the help.

But what I really want to stress is deloading and working on your form (if you couldn't already tell). Proper form is crucial to avoiding injuries and progressing on lifts. I'm don't know how much weight you're doing right now on these lifts, but a good number would be to drop the weight by 15-20% for both lifts and work your way back up, focusing on proper form. Dynamic stretches help a lot, too.
My squatting form is very good, and i have been told this by gym instructors, and because i am squatting with more than my bodyweight of 60kg ( i squat 70-80 depending on reps) i physically cant round my back.
My deadlift technique is not as good, i dont have any noticeable rounding in my lower back but i have some curving/rounding in my upper back ive been told.

those stretches and exercises sound very good i will try them out, i will probably do what you say and drop some weight then build it back up

When you're overloading it's obvious you're using full force to push something your body is not ready for, thus improper form while performing the exercise is probably happening.

btw OP, if you are a begginer and you're doing strength bases exercises, stick to 5x5 for a few months, just so you can get some good technique; once you get good form switch to 3x5 and start lifting heavy for real.

Some advice on squatting I'll pass on (strength workouts or not): start squatting on a weight where you can go all the way down and you can say that your balls almost touch the floor. You might think I'm joking, but trust me, mentally picture your balls touching the floor as you go down. Try to get your balls to the floor. Of course don't be a dumbass and actually get your balls to the floor, you'll hurt yourself, but pick a weight where you can go to that limit with no problem. Advance in weight from there.
I try to go quite deep and i usually hit paralell or slightly lower, i do alternating months of sets of 5 and 10, and i dont really want to start going as low as 3x5 or lower than 5 reps,
Thanks for your help ill take a week or two up and try to strengthen my lower back then build my weight back up

edit: as far as i can recall ive been squatting for 6 months and deadlifting for about 4, only in the past few weeks ive had pain in my back and i think my deadlifting is the reason for this so i will work on this, it should also be noted that the pain is just above my bum so very low on my lower back and is only aggravated by exerting a weight over 20 kg or so day to day activities are fine

can you record yourself lifting? it wouldn't hurt for us to see your form, you might have just the slightest movement to one side or something that an instructor might not notice or think is a big deal which could be all the cause for your pain. also when do you actually feel your pain? is it during the lift or after? if it's during, when do you feel it?

edit: ps doing 20 pull up challenge aiming for 20 at the end of 6 weeks can currently do 6. lessgooooooooo (also talking dead hang pull ups here, no swaying etc.)

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I try to go quite deep and i usually hit paralell or slightly lower, i do alternating months of sets of 5 and 10, and i dont really want to start going as low as 3x5 or lower than 5 reps,
Thanks for your help ill take a week or two up and try to strengthen my lower back then build my weight back up

edit: as far as i can recall ive been squatting for 6 months and deadlifting for about 4, only in the past few weeks ive had pain in my back and i think my deadlifting is the reason for this so i will work on this, it should also be noted that the pain is just above my bum so very low on my lower back and is only aggravated by exerting a weight over 20 kg or so day to day activities are fine
I know what you mean now, I've had the same pain before. That pain right above your ass is a bitch when you get up and sit down. Don't know our bodies might not be the same, but probably taking a week off wouldn't be a bad idea. I did it while applying some Icy'Hot everyday of that week, and if possible try to get a good massage in that area as well; a girl will be pretty useful here. It's up to you if you want to do some type of exercises, but I would recommend just rest it off, it's what worked for me. Just some experience talk here.

I don't know what your mentality on bodybuilding is, but I'm the type that can take a week off and not really give a fuck. Hopefully you're not the "I don't take a day off because it will affect my gains" thats bullshit. In fact, this will help you out a lot because after weeks and weeks of lifting, a pretty good resting period always helps out, both physically and mentally.

On your deadlift, I struggled a lot to learn this. I struggled a shitload. The only way I learned this was through a dude who used to work at YMCA. I would watch videos over and over and just couldn't get it. I don't work out in my garage tot, so I didn't have any type of gym instructors to teach me either. You say you workout in a gym though, so one of your instructors should be able to teach you. I would suggest learning how to do it properly once your pain goes away though. It can affect you mentally when you're trying to learn proper technique and the pain stings.

Like I said, that pain in the ass is a...pain in the ass.

Well, i guess i'll start working out again. I'm currently like, 160-170, with muscle. I've been slacking off in the summer though. Xbox live does that to you, btw. I just recently bought a Perfect. Multi-Gym set.

Sadly, my door way is interfering with the actual door ledge where you snap the top at, so i can't do pull ups, who needs them anyway! However, i can do dips, sit ups, and push ups with them, which is nice. I already have weights.

Here's my problem though: I'm skinny. Not skinny skinny, but just you know, ripped, but too skinny. I want to bulk up, like peyton hillis!

I need to know what types of foods to eat. I really limited myself to what i eat. I only drink water, no punch, no soda. I eat baked chicken only when it comes to meat. Last time i drunk a sip of soda was 2 years ago. I know i need to buy lots of protein bars, that's for sure.

don't buy protein bars. Eat a ton. Lots of meat, lots of veggies, lots of milk, lots of everything. Do heavy barbell exercises. Bodyweight exercises will not make you look like peyton hillis

I know what you mean now, I've had the same pain before. That pain right above your ass is a bitch when you get up and sit down. Don't know our bodies might not be the same, but probably taking a week off wouldn't be a bad idea. I did it while applying some Icy'Hot everyday of that week, and if possible try to get a good massage in that area as well; a girl will be pretty useful here. It's up to you if you want to do some type of exercises, but I would recommend just rest it off, it's what worked for me. Just some experience talk here.

I don't know what your mentality on bodybuilding is, but I'm the type that can take a week off and not really give a fuck. Hopefully you're not the "I don't take a day off because it will affect my gains" thats bullshit. In fact, this will help you out a lot because after weeks and weeks of lifting, a pretty good resting period always helps out, both physically and mentally.

On your deadlift, I struggled a lot to learn this. I struggled a shitload. The only way I learned this was through a dude who used to work at YMCA. I would watch videos over and over and just couldn't get it. I don't work out in my garage tot, so I didn't have any type of gym instructors to teach me either. You say you workout in a gym though, so one of your instructors should be able to teach you. I would suggest learning how to do it properly once your pain goes away though. It can affect you mentally when you're trying to learn proper technique and the pain stings.

Like I said, that pain in the ass is a...pain in the ass.
Yeh I think you know what I mean, when I'm squatting I'm fine as I go down to parallell and then as I come up just as I reach the upright position the pain kicks in.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Well, i guess i'll start working out again. I'm currently like, 160-170, with muscle. I've been slacking off in the summer though. Xbox live does that to you, btw. I just recently bought a Perfect. Multi-Gym set.

Sadly, my door way is interfering with the actual door ledge where you snap the top at, so i can't do pull ups, who needs them anyway! However, i can do dips, sit ups, and push ups with them, which is nice. I already have weights.

Here's my problem though: I'm skinny. Not skinny skinny, but just you know, ripped, but too skinny. I want to bulk up, like peyton hillis!

I need to know what types of foods to eat. I really limited myself to what i eat. I only drink water, no punch, no soda. I eat baked chicken only when it comes to meat. Last time i drunk a sip of soda was 2 years ago. I know i need to buy lots of protein bars, that's for sure.
Are you limited to what you eat because you can't eat just anything or because you're on a budget? If you're on a budget, then there is various cheap as fuck foods you can eat without drowning your wallet; eggs, milk, peanuts, meat cuts, chicken breast, peanut butter, cottage cheese. The most versatile food will probably be eggs and peanut butter. You can eat your eggs cooked or hard boiled. You can also crack a few eggs in orange juice you can get extra calories and protein fast and easy. Peanut butter is probably the best shit on bulk. Try to eat this as much as you can. It won't be hard either, you can pretty much eat peanut butter with various foods ex. bread, celery sticks, milkshakes, shit it some with a spoon.

Instead of spending bars on protein bars, spend it on Whey protein. On bulk, you should be drinking Whey about 3 times a day. You can put Peanut butter on your Whey protein mix (however you drink it but whole milk would be a wise choice in your situation) for extra calories. There isn't much to bulking...just eat.

Yeh I think you know what I mean, when I'm squatting I'm fine as I go down to parallell and then as I come up just as I reach the upright position the pain kicks in.
Yeah, some rest will help a lot here.

recurring fee on SL just so i can use blogs, look at pictures, and listen to a podcast

yeah, right. i know mehdi is dumb but this is just a new kind of retarded. no one is honestly going to do this for more than a month; those that do are just wasting money. mannnnnn i hope the people who's logs i read that have switched to blogs update both now because i don't want to miss out on reading about different training methods

/complaints
/rantishthing

also he's only letting a select number of people apply for this gold membership. what the fuck? if you're going to make something that costs money and you have thousands of people wanting to buy it why would you limit it? he's the worst business man i've ever seen.

know /rantishthing /complaints

REGION CHAMPS FUCK YEAH

Call me crazy, but I row (yes in a boat, no there are no priates or drums and the boats do cost as much as a used car) 12+ hours a week, except during the summer. Rather than having trouble doing everything and working out, I find during the summer I have trouble finding something to do. I still work out during the summer, but not as much.

So I was doing some dead-lifts today when some guy comes up to me and tells me I shouldn't feel my lower back... *facepalm*

http://joeskopec.com/programs.html

on SL, good to look through. bookmarked and I plan on looking into stuff to do a year and a half or so from now. never hurts to plan ahead! (or to just be salivating over the cool stuff you're going to be able to do in the future!)
lol so what you're telling me bro is that you plan on studying a lifting routine for 1.5 years and THEN lift? you've got to be trolling me. it's not rocket science--if it were, then dumb jocks wouldn't be so jacked.

just eat a shit load of food, make sure you're getting your brotein, leafy veggies, incorporate squats, deadlifts, and bench press into your routine, and just have a basic idea of how to set up a 3 day or 4 day split routine. you can quickly google a decent routine, and if it's missing either of the three exercises i mentioned just throw it in the appropriate day (like squats on a legs day). and work hard and you will become big and strong.

the difficult part is not getting the most optimal routine and studying up on routines, but actually pushing yourself in terms of diet and working out hard enough and often enough. that's how you get big, not some dweeby 1.5 years of studying sl. i mean, dont get me wrong, knowledge is good to have and all, but lift AND learn at the same time. and if you're gonna study anything a lot, study on good deadlift and squat form and use low weights as you're learning proper form.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
So I was doing some dead-lifts today when some guy comes up to me and tells me I shouldn't feel my lower back... *facepalm*
Just imagining if that shit would have happened in front me has me laughing hard. Stupidest shit I've ever heard. That's why I have my own squat rack, to avoid people like this.

lol so what you're telling me bro is that you plan on studying a lifting routine for 1.5 years and THEN lift? you've got to be trolling me. it's not rocket science--if it were, then dumb jocks wouldn't be so jacked.

just eat a shit load of food, make sure you're getting your brotein, leafy veggies, incorporate squats, deadlifts, and bench press into your routine, and just have a basic idea of how to set up a 3 day or 4 day split routine. you can quickly google a decent routine, and if it's missing either of the three exercises i mentioned just throw it in the appropriate day (like squats on a legs day). and work hard and you will become big and strong.

the difficult part is not getting the most optimal routine and studying up on routines, but actually pushing yourself in terms of diet and working out hard enough and often enough. that's how you get big, not some dweeby 1.5 years of studying sl. i mean, dont get me wrong, knowledge is good to have and all, but lift AND learn at the same time. and if you're gonna study anything a lot, study on good deadlift and squat form and use low weights as you're learning proper form.
obviously he meant that he's going to continue doing what he's doing for 1-1.5 years (SL 5x5 I think) and then look into new programs.

Okay, so, I have a question for you more experienced lifters. I was wondering what your opinions on the floor press vs the bench press are.

Is one better than the other, or will I be losing out on working certain areas if I floor press over benching? Any input is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)