The Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, tbh with two wingers on the bench and anderson>fletcher in CM I'd go with Anderson over Fletcher on the bench although I wouldn't bet against a 4-3-3 with Rooney and ROnaldo supporting The Tov

Yeh, I can also see Fergie going with something like:

- Neville ---- Ferdinand --- Brown -------- Evra --
------------------ Hargreaves -------------------
--------- Anderson -------- Scholes -------------
----- Ronaldo ----------------- Rooney ----------
------------------ Berbatov ---------------------

I feel confident with that team, to be honest. And knowing that we have Tevez and Nani as offensive alternatives, who we can call upon late in the second-half, in order to run at tired full-backs and centre-backs will be worthwhile. If we play Rooney more central and slightly behind Berbatov, we would have only Ronaldo occupying the flanks; and that's defensively poor. But if we keep Rooney out wide, specifically on the left-hand side, once again SAF will play Rooney out of position and in a place where he cannot perform well.

We'll just have to wait and see!

Official Line-up:

-------------------- Van Der Sar ------------------
Neville ------ Ferdinand ---- Evans ---------- Evra
----------- Fletcher ---------- Scholes -----------
Hargreaves ----------------------------------- Park
--------------------------- Rooney ----------------
------------------ Berbatov -----------------------

The line-up was posted like this, but it could be either Fletcher or Hargreaves on the wing. Rooney and Berbatov get the nod upfront, but to be honest I think this is a cover up of a 4-5-1 formation as Sir Alex won't want to go full out in the early going against Chelsea away, he's playing it like a European Away tie. Chelsea generally play a more 4-5-1 and Sir Alex will want to match that instead of losing that midfield battle, which is fair enough really. That line-up is chosen for the flexibility to revert to this formation IMO:

-------------------- Van Der Sar ------------------
Neville ------ Ferdinand ---- Evans ---------- Evra
-------- Fletcher ------------ Hargreaves ---------
--------------------- Scholes ---------------------
-- Park --------------------------------- Rooney --
--------------------- Berbatov --------------------

Matching Chelsea's usual 3-man midfield, but we're playing Rooney out of position again and it's usually "not very effective" (lol).

Subs: Kuszczak, Brown, O'Shea, Ronaldo, Giggs, Nani & Tévez

As predicted, Anderson is the one to miss out. With Evans starting, I really see no reason to play Gary Neville over Brown at Right-Back, IMO he doesn't deserve that yet, especially for such a big game. Neville's fitness surely can't be up to par yet, and as we've seen his crossing is rusty so unless he's improved dramatically in the last 4-5 days, Brown should've played.

However, from that line-up I see a lot of energy in the midfield with Hargreaves, Park and Fletcher. So I'm assuming Sir Alex will want to match Chelsea's energy for 60 minutes with those three, before injecting some serious pace and work-rate from the likes of Ronaldo, Nani and Tévez.

Let's see how this goes.

Oh, and here's the Chelsea team for the hell of it:

Chelsea: Cech, Bosingwa, Carvalho, Terry, Ashley Cole, Obi, Joe Cole, Deco, Lampard, Malouda & Anelka.
Subs: Cudicini, Drogba, Ballack, Bridge, Kalou, Alex & Belletti.

--------------------- Cech --------------------
Bosingwa ----- Carvalho -- Terry -------- A.Cole
--------------------- Mikel --------------------
----------- Lampard -------- Deco -------------
- J.Cole ------------------------------- Malouda
--------------------- Anelka -------------------

I'm not surprised by that team tbh, 4-3-3 when the going is though with Berbs, Rooney and Park with Tov spearheading and 4-4-2 with two workhorses on the wing otherwise.

He did a pretty similar thing in the CL final with Ronaldo on the left however. Tevez, Ronaldo and Nani on the bench is pretty lol at our squad depth.

Scratch that, Deco injured in the warm-up. Ballack starts, not sure who takes the subs bench place.

I believe that the predicted substitutes, should we use all 3, will be Ronaldo, Tevez and Nani. That's some real energy on the bench.

A goal of how many in the last three seasons for him? I hate when you attempt to prove me wrong when you know that I am talking in general. Besides his goal, and one deflected shot on the edge of the box, Park played defensive all the way through. There was nothing offensive besides the run he made to score. That's how Park has been used for so long. Your strawman shit can be so frustrating at times.

Aren't Chelsea lucky?

heh man I was joking quite obviously Nani>Park in terms of being a threat...just ironic he scored after saying that.

Also what a load of shit Riley was today.

1-1 in the end, United held on until about the 80th minute or so, Chelsea just won't lose there.

I didn't see the highlights as I was watching a recording of the Man Utd. game, but 6-0? Be interesting to see if City can keep that up.

For some completely fucked up reason I actually kinda give a shit about Swansea [they're playing Cardiff now].

Swansea Cardiff
1-0

Bookings [all cardiff]:
Ledley 6
McPhail 38
Whittingham 84
McCormack 89
Comminges 90

Sent off:
McPhail 75

dude. what the fuck.

Also arsenal are beating sheffield [my other liked team] 6-0. We blow. We fucking blow.

Woo, Man Utd finally won a game last night :D

It was only the Carling Cup, but at least we put some goals past Middlesbrough with Ronaldo, Nani and Giggs scoring, wingers to the rescue!

Manchester United vs. Bolton Wanderers

6ozg6tw.png
vs
2u439qe.png

Barclays Premier League

Venue: Old Trafford (Capcity: 76,000)
Date: Saturday 27th September, 2008
Kick Off: 15:00pm GMT

Injury Worries

Michael Carrick (ankle) and possible thigh injury for Edwin van der Sar.

Predicted Line-up:

GK: Tomasz Kuszczak #29

RB: Wes Brown #6
CB: Rio Ferdinand #5 (c)
CB: Nemanja Vidić #15
LB: Patrice Evra #3

RW: Cristiano Ronaldo #7
CM: Darren Fletcher #24
CM: Paul Scholes #18
LW: Park Ji-Sung #13

FW: Dimitar Berbatov #9
FW: Wayne Rooney #10

Subs: Ben Amos #40, Gary Neville #2, John O'Shea #22, Ryan Giggs #11, Anderson #8, Nani #17 & Carlos Tévez #32

Damn, this is hard. I can't belive I've left Hargreaves out, maybe it's time I admit that Giggs doesn't always have to be in the 18. But he's such a good player and it's too hard to leave him out. John O'Shea is defensive cover for anywhere on the pitch, I trust him enough to replace anyone in the defence so I always put him on the bench. Neville and Brown is a coin toss really, dunno who will start but the other will definately be on the bench. Anderson has had a break in the league, so I'd expect him to be in the squad, but if not this is where Hargreaves will be. Nani and Tévez can have such an impact on the game, especially in the latter stages so I have to choose those as well.

As for the starting line-up, I'm expecting a 4-4-2, but like the team for the Chelsea game, it has the option of switching to a 4-3-3 whenever needed, like so:

Ronaldo - Fletcher - Scholes - Park
----- Berbatov ------ Rooney -----

Becomes:

Fletcher -- Scholes -- Park
Ronaldo - Berbatov - Rooney

Anyway, we'll beat Bolton.

I could always catch it on at the pub. At our local, we have access to foreign channels - channels that have the rights to show these games that take place on a Saturday - and this match is guaranteed to be presented on it.

Great to see some of the youngsters playing, and playing really well. Rafael was up and down the right flank all night. Evans was awesome again. Possebon was again, looking back to the first few games of the season, really composed, and I'm damn glad that he didn't break his leg. Thank God for that. We really need to get on a streak now that the last week is out of the way. Get Tevez back in the lineup and lets score some goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back