1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Please refer to this thread for the current Smogon Tier Lists.
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Solace, Aug 11, 2012.

1. AudaciousAedz

AudaciousAedz

I am quite serious, that's the thing! I've been told this information by a few people now, but I will probably will restart soonish when I find some as I'd cry if I got DQ'd after spending multiple cashmonies and time training/thinking.

Lol and that Magikarp is just the bees knees man.
  2. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

can someone suggest some good trick room synergy. Mostly with the pokemon musharna, and some other pokemon that work well with Musharna and Telepathy.

400!
  3. Agonist

Agonist You were my last great war, you were my heaven ablaze
    is a Forum Moderator

Pretty much anything that spams EQ/Discharge/Surf/other spread move. Musharna can also provide Helping Hand support, which is nice. I was using a Rhyperior + Musharna for a while, with Rhyperior protecting on the first turn, and Musharna setting up TR, then spam HH boosted EQs and Rock Slides.
  4. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

Hmmm... I like that idea, but what to do against rain teams?
  5. Agonist

Agonist You were my last great war, you were my heaven ablaze
    is a Forum Moderator

Gastrodon is my check for Rain teams, and I have a TR Abomasnow in addition.
  6. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

ok, thanks I'll look into this.
  7. Infinity.Cypher

Infinity.Cypher

Something fun with Musharna is Gravity + Hypnosis. Although this prevents Helping Hand boosts, it brings Gravity, making high-power low-accuracy moves to hit now, so no more Rock Slide misses, no more Megahorn misses, no more Hydro Pump misses, so Rhyperior, Escavalier, and Hypnosis Hydro Pump Politoed works with Gravity Musharna. Especially Rhyperior since it can now spam EQ without hitting Musharna while hitting their Cress or Thundurus.
  8. Sidfrid

Sidfrid

Hello guys!
    I've been wondering how does the resistant berries work in the case of a critical hit.
    Since crit bypass any drops in attack and boost in defense, will the crit also bypass the berry effect?
  9. Chenkovsky

Chenkovsky

Crit's don't bypass the berries affect although it does render the berry useless as 1*0.5*2=1
  10. chaoguy

chaoguy

Hey sorry if this question is too broad, can some one give me a TL;DR of the current meta? I've been out of the game for about a year, year and a half. What's are the current most popular team comps? What pokemon are "flavor of the month?"

Thanks!
  11. hathater

hathater

Rain teams are very popular.
    the main threats are generally terrakion, and the genies (landorous thundurous, tornadous). Hail is incresingly popular. Goodstuff is popular as well. sandstorm is popular
    EDIT: Oops, forgot to say rotom formes are popular; especially washing machine rotom (rotom w)
  12. Anas2k7

Anas2k7

Polidra
    Therian formes
    Tornadus
    Latios/latias
    random trick room stuff
  13. tlyee61

tlyee61

omg the previous two posters talking about the metagame haven't mentioned one thing: CRESSELIA!
    but anyway, here are things you want counters to:
    Cress
    Metagross
    Rain teams
    Sand
    Thundurus (-T)
    Hitmontop
    Landorus-T
    Intimidate Scrafty
    Rotom-W
    Hydreigon
    Latios
    Salamence
    SD Scizor
    Gastrodon
    *probably forgot some, will edit in later*
  14. Anas2k7

Anas2k7

fixed it for u
  15. RedSpyda

RedSpyda

Was there any word on the spring regionals and who won?
  16. tlyee61

tlyee61

wait, what? how is taking out things fixing something?

p.s. it's FTFY

twitter.com/nuggetbridge has them, but you might have to dig through some tweets.
  17. Braverius

Braverius Free the music, unleash the vibe
    is a Tiering Contributor

18. Brophlosion

Brophlosion

Is the next tourney Nats?
  19. Dozz

Dozz Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

The next "real life" tournament for the US is Nationals, but there's another international challenge in June I believe.
  20. Brophlosion

Brophlosion

and after nats is worlds right?
  21. Dozz

Dozz Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

22. hathater

hathater

breloom or scizor? they both have technician, priority stab etc. scizor has a better typing, while breloom has spore.
  23. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

Well hathater, it solely depends on what your team needs, Scizor's typing is very nice except being weak to common fire moves, and Bullet Punch Technician Steel Gem can't be beat. While Breloom, has better offensive typiing with both grass and fighting. So it essentially depends on your team, it's needs, and it's weaknesses.
  24. M. Rock

M. Rock

No offense, but this is kind of a stupid question, and a pretty vague one at that. The logic in the question is like comparing apples to oranges: you can't label them similar because "they have Technician and priority STAB". Both have completely different roles on a team and both have different counters. Which one you're going to use depends on what the rest of your team looks like.

However, if you're deciding which to start with to make a new team, here is what both are like:

Scizor
    - Has these attacks to choose from (excluding his priority): Bug Bite, Acrobatics, and Nature Power (which, powered by an Occa Berry, is a Technician-boosted Fire move to hit other Steel-types).
    - Has a lone weakness to Fire
    - He makes a good user of Swords Dance and can reliably get it up once
    - Is is a simultaneous Dragon resist and weather counter, being able to handle Abomasnow and Tyranitar.
    - Bug Bite 2HKOs most Cresselia right through whatever berry they're using
    - In a flexible speed tier so he can be used in either Tailwind or Trick Room
    - Speaking of which, he learns Tailwind, and has the bulk and resistances to set it up
    - Because of his limited selection of viable moves and great typing (offensively and defensively), he's a very easy and straightforward Pokemon to use.
    - Keep him away from as many special attacks as possible, no matter the set
    - Dragons appreciate having him around, because he removes Abomasnow, Latios, and Cresselia (and Cress almost always has either Ice Beam, Icy Wind, or Thunder Wave). In turn, Dragons resist and threaten Fire-types, and a Dragon Gem Draco Meteor from Latios or Hydreigon very often KOs his best counter: Rotom-W.

Breloom
    - His priority STAB has much better coverage than Bullet Punch
    - Bullet Seed can break Focus Sashes and Substitutes
    - He cannot handle Cresselia - rather, he is countered by it. This can somewhat be circumvented by having Spore, but you would have to invest in Spe a lot to catch Cress off-guard and Spore it before it causes trouble.
    - Less bulk and more weaknesses makes Focus Sash a viable item (especially if you opt for a speedy spread). Scizor would never need a sash.
    - However, unlike Scizor, Rain can actually help him survive Fire-type attacks.
    - He can't do much against other Fighting-types
    - Breloom is tougher to use, because using Spore effectively takes good prediction (against tougher players), and he has more type weaknesses to worry about. Regardless, the payoff of using him right is pretty great.
    - He can beat Rotom-W and Gastrodon. Scizor absolutely cannot fight Rotom, and he struggles with the latter.
    - Since Spore is his biggest niche, you want to have a Fake Out user. Or even a Taunt user to prevent the opponent from using Protect. Prankster Liepard can do both.
    - I've only used him once (as opposed to using Scizor for months), but I found he works best on a rain team. He is less weak to Fire, Spore is great, and he can beat some Pokemon that give rain trouble (Rotom, Gastrodon, Tyranitar, Abomasnow, etc.).

That's all I can think of for now
  25. hathater

hathater

:'( thanks

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)