Volcarona

same here. once bliss is gone this guy can rip a lot of shit apart and given how easy it is to kill her (specially with something like scizor that can u-turn, pursuit or superpower her) i can see him doing that often. sure, he is weak to SR and water, but buterfly dance give him enough special defense to survive a surf, and i dont know any water type that is not 2hkoed by a +1 fire blast/bug buzz/hp grass/eletric/rock.

Pair this guy up with Espeon and Vaporeon and you got yourself a pretty decent core.
Keeping rocks off the field isn't hard and is most certainly worth it.
I've been using that bulky set with 252hp/252def and a Modest nature, and it's so easy to get dances up because of the bulk. It also takes priority attacks bar Aqua Jet like a champ.

Toxic spikes is greatly appreciated though. The Ghost/Water can be troublesome for me at times.

Definitely a threat.

I've played with this guy and the other member of the godzilla duo Sazandora, and I honestly believe it has immense OU potential. Yes, it has the 4x weakness to stealth rock, but bulky rapid spinners are more prevalent and can stay around longer, mainly donphan and forretres, thanks to sturdy or the ever popular Starmie and Magic Mirror Espeon. He kind of reminds of Charizard, another powerful fire type who was forced into NU because of the same weakness, though hopefully this gen can rectify it.

Ulgamoth is almost definitely OU material this gen. With all the mischievous heart leads running around, SR is uncommon to the point where I can run urgamoth without any rapid spin support whatsoever. 100 base speed is pretty cool, especially with all the Pokémon such as Genosect, Sazando, and Hihidaruma running around. His typing and high SpDf also means it can easily set up on Shandera after a revenge kill.

One cool note is that this moth CAN, in fact, get past Blissey, although you will have to more or less sacrifice it. After one or two BDs, Blissey cannot touch Ulgamoth outside of seismic toss and toxic. Meanwhile, you can spam flame dance and if you net enough SpAtk boosts, the pink egg will go down.

The only consistent problem with this beast is choosing the coverage move. No matter what HP you use, or psychic, you’re going to be walled. Both abilities are useful though. Swarm is swarm, 'nuff said. Flame body is actually really useful. If it activates, you can easily set up on resisted physical attacks such as Scizor or Breloom's choice locked priority attacks. It is also like a final "fuck you" if ulga gets revenged by a contact move.

Stall/Wall/Tank/Sp. Atk Sweeper & Ninetails' Drought pwn

You have no Idea how good I can dance-
Urugamosu (M) @ Heat Rock
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 80 HP / 32 Def / 252 SAtk / 144 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Butterfly Dance
- Flamethrower/Flame Dance/Fire Blast
- Morning Sun
- Sunny Day

Basically ruins anything, You should Sunny Day first unless you have Flamethrower then you maybe 1(2)HKO, but you probably want to Sunny Day first just to knock those water attacks (you won't have to Sunny Day against Drought-Ninetails). Then Set Up with Butterfly Dance. And when HP is running low use Morning Sun to heal up (thx to Heat Rock this can last for 8 turns so don't worry). Then fire away. Flame Body usually always activates when hit directly then causes KO, then burns opponent so it can cause a big "Aftermath" affect. Flash Fire is just thown in there for noobs that hit this with Fire type moves :S. Choice for Flame Dance is just in case you want extra Sp. Atk but it's not recommended (for that's Butterfly Dance's job.) and Fire Blast is for users who want that extra power. *yeah you might want process Rock type moves (I suggest use as lead so no Stealth Rock can get you. It can KO Calm Mind-Suicune and Drizzle-Politoed easily with set up (make sure to have +5 when doing this) Taunt/Torrent probably should harm you to much if you make sure you evaluate it (a.k.a BOMB them with FLAMETHROWER) correctly (but they're probably gonna go straight for it :[ ).*

Edit:
Ninetails would be extra help in this and with that;
Drought follower/Weather Chaser-
Urugamosu (M) @ Focus Sash/Leftovers/Life Orb
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 80 HP / 32 Def / 252 SAtk / 144 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Butterfly Dance
- Flamethrower/Flame Dance/Fire Blast
- Morning Sun
- Solar Beam/Hurricane

Pretty much same: Item changes due to Drought you could prepare for a rock move or you could get extra HP. Solar Beam could be an EASY way to OHKO Rock/Ground/Water Pokemon. Or you could get ready for a Weather change and still get increase for a Max'D out Hurricane and try to just over power them. So go ahead and get a Ninetails set ready :D

EDIT: Ulga does not get Flash Fire (thx for Wichu for pointing it out.)

Firstly, Ulgamoth doesn't get Flash Fire.

Second, your first set is walled by opposing Flash Fire users and bulky Waters. No, you can't beat Politoed and Suicune unless
Politoed is slower, but even with Sun, the standard set will put you to sleep and switch out. Even worse, it could Encore your Sunny Day. Sun-boosted Flamethrower deals 23.4% - 27.9% to Politoed, giving it plenty of opportunities to use Hypnosis; setting up Butterfly Dance just gives Politoed even more time to put you to sleep, then switch for a Pokémon with a Rock move. Hydro Pump-wielding ScarfToed easily 1HKOs you, while Boil Over ScarfToed 2HKOes even with Sun.
Even if your opponent switches in Suicune, letting you get Sunny Day in, you still lose; even with Sunny Day, Flamethrower fails to 3HKO, while Suicune's Surf easily 3HKOs Ulgamoth. If you start setting up, Suicune can do the same, and still beat you. Of course, there's always the possibility your opponent will switch in Tyranitar and completely shut you down.
Speaking of Tyranitar, it easily destroys both those sets. Tyranitar can switch in after you've set up Sunny Day, and proceed to OHKO you or force you out while your attacks do pathetic damage. Once Ulgamoth is switched out, SR will make it difficult to switch in again.
The second set is walled by Heatran too, no matter which move you use - Solarbeam will deal pathetic damage, while Hurricane is also resisted and has only 50% accuracy in Sun. Fire Blast 2HKOs, while Overheat has a pretty good chance to OHKO.

^Every special attacker in the game is useless then. Maybe you should, i dunno, kill chansey before you start dancing. Just a thought.

Wait, your saying "under sun"..Well, under sand Dory is far more dangerous and faster.

And please, this guy is shut down by Blissey with Twave and Seismic Toss.
Interestingly enough, this is the Urgamoth thread, not the Doryuzu thread.

As Green Mage says, one Pokemon countering/checking Urgamoth =/= Urgamoth is useless. That's what the rest of your goddamn team is for.

^Every special attacker in the game is useless then. Maybe you should, i dunno, kill chansey before you start dancing. Just a thought.
I always keep my chansey alive as long as I can in case a special attacker shows up. As long as I have Chansey, I feel safe ^_^

Not every Special Attacker loses to Chansey. Certain Pokes with Psycho Shock can beat me, and of course there's SexyDancerMon, AKA Meloetta :3

Interestingly enough, this is the Urgamoth thread, not the Doryuzu thread.

As Green Mage says, one Pokemon countering/checking Urgamoth =/= Urgamoth is useless. That's what the rest of your goddamn team is for.
I never said this guy was useless. Besides, depending on the Hidden Power, Burungeru and Heatran also wall him. Moth guy isn't the best choice for a special sweeper, partly because there are other Special Attackers that can get around Blissey/Chansey.

Diglett Dig Diglett Dig Trio Trio Trio...
Oh sorry Chansey. You were saying?

I find that Urgamoth gets played badly a lot of times in Dream World - People will foolishly take ANY opportunity to set up, to which opponents respond LolDitto. Urgamoth is one of the best Final Guns in the game. Once the scouting and fieldwork is done, not much can stop Urgamoth.

I find that Urgamoth gets played badly a lot of times in Dream World - People will foolishly take ANY opportunity to set up, to which opponents respond LolDitto. Urgamoth is one of the best Final Guns in the game. Once the scouting and fieldwork is done, not much can stop Urgamoth.
I agree wholeheartedly. Urugamosu actually reminds me a lot of Lucario back in Fourth Gen in that regard, as they seem to play a very similar role, just in different ways. Where Lucario had brute strength and Extremespeed, Urugamosu constantly boosts it's power and speed, as well as special bulk. Very similar.

Toxic Spikes are a godsend for this thing, as would likely Spike Support. I also find myself running HP Rock quite often on sets, as the ability to smack down other Moths, neutrality on Heatran without worrying over Balloon, and other pesky targets like Aerodactyl/Featherdactyl and Shandera are worth quite a bit.

Diglett Dig Diglett Dig Trio Trio Trio...
Oh sorry Chansey. You were saying?
Evo Stone. CB Dugtrio can't 2KO Max DEF Chansey with the Evo Stone, allowing me to Toxic-Softboiled stall him.

Now, as Chansey was saying, she walls firemoth. And surprisingly, Dugtrio. You'll believe it when you see it.

Now, as Chansey was saying, she walls firemoth. And surprisingly, Dugtrio. You'll believe it when you see it.
Without Toxic Chansey and Blissey both lose to bulky Ulgamoth with Morning sun. Even if they paralyze him, moth can just keep dancing till he outspeeds almost everything even with paralysis, and at +6 he easily 2HKOes Chansey. Their only chance is extreme parahax, and even then they need seismic toss (as opposed to flamethrower or ice beam) to actually deal any sort of damage.

Without Toxic Chansey and Blissey both lose to bulky Ulgamoth with Morning sun. Even if they paralyze him, moth can just keep dancing till he outspeeds almost everything even with paralysis, and at +6 he easily 2HKOes Chansey. Their only chance is extreme parahax, and even then they need seismic toss (as opposed to flamethrower or ice beam) to actually deal any sort of damage.
My Chansey has Toxic, S-Toss, Softboiled, and Aromatherapy. I win. Honesty, without any offenses whatsoever, my Chansey has no other choice.

have we forgotten about blissey or what? why do you use chansey...?
I use Chansey because it takes Special hits just as good with the Evolution Stone, and it takes Physical hits a LOT better than Blissey with it. No lefties sucks, but I have softboiled.

You know Spenstar, it's cool you're happy with your Chansey and all, but just leave that out of Urugamosu's thread. Chansey practically walls any special attacker (except Pokemon with that physical special move, if you get what I'm saying). That's why you take out Chansey and Dittos before you start boosting. Now don't say you will just switch out, some time you will get outpredicted or are forced to leave in your Chansey against something like Roobushin.

You know Spenstar, it's cool you're happy with your Chansey and all, but just leave that out of Urugamosu's thread. Chansey practically walls any special attacker (except Pokemon with that physical special move, if you get what I'm saying). That's why you take out Chansey and Dittos before you start boosting. Now don't say you will just switch out, some time you will get outpredicted or are forced to leave in your Chansey against something like Roobushin.

Okay, I'll stop talking about Chansey. Even without it, Urugamosu just gets walled by so much with a BD+3 attacks set. Depending on your Hidden Power, Heatran or Burungeru can stop you cold. Not to mention that Dugtrio mentioned a few posts up that can revenge it.

The main problem I see is that a lot of users of this mon try to set up in the early game when a healthy Heatran or Chansey can stop it cold. I haven't once seen anybody use firemoth in the late-game.

^Well, then they aren't using Ulgamoth wisely. Like most good Pokemon, it needs proper support. You can't just expect to throw it on your team and have it sweep from the start of the match (especially if you know your opponent has a Chansey waiting).

Yes, Chansey causes problems as she does for almost every other special sweeper. Ulgamoth is worth the support, though. It's so powerful with arguably the best boosting move in the game.

Such a sexy sweeper. Ulgamoth is my favourite kind of Pokemon-- It requires more team support and skill to use than your typical sweeper due to its many drawbacks, but get things right and the reward is huge. I guess it's a bit like Empoleon in that respect.

I've taken a somewhat obvious route and partnered Ulgamoth with Tentacruel, who can lay down Toxic Spikes to cripple Blissey/Bulky Waters, can Rapid Spin away Stealth Rock (and absorb TSpikes), and can somewhat counter Heatran. Roobushin is pretty helpful as a solid counter to Blissey and a check to Dory too.

What EV spreads have you guys been running? I've stuck to your bread and butter 252/252 and it's proven to be effective so far, but no doubt there's a spread that better utilizes Ulgamoth's impressive bulk.

One weakness I've found with Ulgamoth is that Stealth Rock needs to be kept off the field at all times, not just when you send him in. The reason for that is because if the opponent uses Roar/Whirlwind and Ulgamoth is dragged out at an inoppurtune time (like if Vaporeon or Gyarados was the Phazer), you've just lost 50% of your health and need to switch back out.

Another weakness is, of course, Politoed and his Drizzle. If Rain is up then Ulgamoth effectively loses a STAB. So far I haven't found Ninetales to be a mandatory member for the team, I just run Sunny Day on a random Pokemon. Even though it doesn't last for an infinite number of turns like Drought, it will still clear away the rain. Running weather in this way is useful for neutering the aforementioned Doryuzuu too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)