Want to see your Original sprites on the X-Box Live Arcade?

Week 1 Sprite Competition Ending Soon!!!!!

ALRIGHT EVERYONE!!!!

Our first weekly sprite competition is coming to a close VERY SOON (Saturday @ 11:59pm) !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope everyone has been working hard on the assigned sprites for this week and I look forward to seeing all the great concepts!

I am going to show and example of how we want to see your submission formatted below. Your submission wont be disqualified if you fail to follow this format but... just try, lol.

(these are not the concepts you should be submitting... this is just an example)

CONCRETE CONCEPT - ATOMIC JELLYFISH

TYPE CONCEPT - SHADOW SQUID

OPEN CONCEPT - METAL MANTIS

I WILL BE OUT OF TOWN UNTIL MONDAY NIGHT SO I WILL PASS JUDGEMENT ON THE SUBMITTED SPRITES THAT NIGHT.

Since I will be out of town this weekend I will give you Week 2's assignments now as well:

CONCRETE CONCEPT - Earth Panda

TYPE CONCEPT - Electric

OPEN CONCEPT

Due Saturday June 5th @ 11:59 PM

Here's some more
Octopus:

And my contest entry:
Type Concept-Electric Toad
They look good! I did some QC on the toads (updated version can be seen in the sprite encyclopedia in the 2nd post of this thread) and I haven't decided what if anything I will do to the octopi so I didn't add them yet. THANKS!

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just wanted to clarify for people that it's not Xbox Live Arcade that the game will be appearing under but rather Xbox Live Indie Games.

And my contest entry:
Type Concept-Electric Toad
If at all possible, consider adding some transparency to the toad's throat. It could make for a really cool effect if used correctly, and if need be, I could even do it in QC.

On the topic of sprites, I have made lineart for the Fire Ram, and should have a rough draft finished by tomorrow.

Also, on a final note, can I start QCing a few of these babies? It would give me something quick and easy to do in my free time. +)

If at all possible, consider adding some transparency to the toad's throat. It could make for a really cool effect if used correctly, and if need be, I could even do it in QC.

On the topic of sprites, I have made lineart for the Fire Ram, and should have a rough draft finished by tomorrow.

Also, on a final note, can I start QCing a few of these babies? It would give me something quick and easy to do in my free time. +)
You are welcome to do some QCing but before you do make sure to check the sprite encyclopedia (2nd post in this thread) because I have been doing a lot of it lately. So if you are going to tweak sprites at least work with the most recent versions. The ones in the encyclopedia are not considered finished versions I just a quick first round of QC on some of them to bring them closer to our vision of the creature they all still could use work.

ALSO!!!!!

If you like messing with other people's sprites instead of scratching you could do me a huge favor and recreate those tortoises from the jpegs (Yvonne lost both the originals of the jellys AND the tortoises) ... I just cant bring myself to start them for some reason, lol.

Looming Deadline

Hey guys.

Here is the deal. I was hoping that the weekly contests would get you a little excited for some competition and crank out more sprites but it seems that the opposite has been true.... So here is what we are going to do:

My team and I are hoping to close this chapter of our work by summer's end so that we can begin bringing the different aspects of the game together in a finished product. I have been authorized to move on from volunteer labor to offering commissions for the sprites in the hopes that this will help us meet our deadline of finishing this part up by the end of summer.

So what does that mean for you?

We still want to have 9 different creatures in each of the 9 different types so that means that there are still ALOT to be created yet. At this time we are willing to offer 50 cents per front sprite and 25 cents per back sprite (more concept work goes into the front sprites so we will pay more for those) that you create and that we accept which means that there is potential for 1.5 dollars per creature family (front and back sprites for adult and juvenile forms) available to you.

With 75+ creature families left to generate that means there is a lot of money to be made for you.

NOTE: Payment will be sent once the final selections of all creatures have been made. That way we can send one lump sum to you instead of several small payments and we can be sure that the sprites you submit make the final cut.

I want to reiterate that simply submitting shoddy work will NOT earn you money. Your sprite must be selected as part of the final set in order to be eligible for payment. Those who create more sprites will in addition to payment will receive priority placement of their names toward the top of the credits of the game.

ALSO! No sprites should be considered safe! If we get 3 different renditions of an Ice Penguin, for example, even if we have put one up in our encyclopedia we will take the best one. So put in your best work!

If you guys have any questions or concerns the please let me know.

IMPORTANT!!! Since we want to have this done by the end of the summer, we are only going to offer this cash incentive for a limited time. Hopefully this will help you guys get motivated to start cranking these things out.

The back sprites have the same size restrictions as fronts right?
Yes. 100x100. You just use more of the frame.

Truthfully though I think we should hold off on them until we finalize the set of front sprites because the sprites that make the cut might change and they all definitely still need QC. So I think we will start with back sprites in a little bit! I wouldn't want you to waste your time until we are sure the concepts have been chosen.

zombie fish/pirana/shark/idk lol it'd be dark type...oh and i dont want any of your money :(
You do not have to accept the money offer if you do not want to. You can certainly feel free to continue spriting on a volunteer basis.

I think we might want to make the zombie fish part of the atomic type? Maybe? It looks like it you know may have been reanimated or mutated by radiation and some glowing eyes and something somewhere else might sell that pretty well.

Have you ever played World of Warcraft? Well WoW is all about glowiness and there is this one sword I have seen that kind of glows but the glow drips off it like blood or something... its really eerie and really awesome looking. Maybe we could try something like that with this guy. I will try and find some reference material for you if you would like.

EDIT! I could not find the reference material I had hoped for but if you just imagine dripping blood or any substance but in this case it is just radioactive glowing material... Hopefully that helps, lol

I made a two fire animals. ;D I should probably recolor one of them so they're not so similar.
I like them. A couple things:

> I think on the adult that the 2nd horn should be visible given the angle
>While I like that you are trying to add texture and details to the creature I think the yellow circle on its brown pelt is way to reminiscent of ursaring and will need to be changed.

>The infant is a great concept but has some anatomical issues... the body seems small for the head size.

With these issues addressed I think we are good!

I made a two fire animals. ;D I should probably recolor one of them so they're not so similar.
I think the Adult would look better if you took off the flame tail, IMO. Just a little too much, honestly.

On my side of things, I am currently working on the Fire Ram (Shading and Coloring) and the Water/Electric (Can't remember right now) Basilisk (Lineart). I also have an Earth Bull drawn out that I will also scan and work on soon. As for commission, currently, I am not looking for money, so I'm fine doing volunteer work.

hey, what types would you make them? and are you sure you still what these guys? I could always make the Adult versions.

oh, and quick question, are the monsters going to be like pokemon, in which you can domesticate them and use them to fight other living creatures?

Ok, that sounds fair. Here are some that would be great additions (some maybe with slight alterations):

Primaruner

Pichoom & Boompedo

Ibiphim

Psykopus

Armaslash

Eastalestia

Terrest

and perhaps

Horwall (though a new prevo would likely be necessary)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)