Worlds Last Chance Qualifier - Kona, HI - August 13, 2010 - OVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

imperfectluck

Banned deucer.
I'm considering attending just for the pleasure of haxing out OmegaDonut. However, I would need to find living accomodations.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
looks like we have a list of some awsome people "considering going"
-TaD38
-daflo
-Flash_mc
-...firestorm???????
-IPL
-Ninahaza

remember this is just going by the posts in this thread :). who will make the jump from "MAYBE" to "heck yeah i am going, REPRESENT baby", only time will tell

Hope it's not too off topic, but what do y'all think of the location of the "Very, VERY Last Chance Qualifier"? Are you happy with it because it's an amazing place, or are you unhappy with it because it's too expensive to get there?
Too expensive. Otherwise I'd totally go. ):

Yeah I've been reading some war stories recently and remembering how fun JAO back in 2006 was and Australia hasn't been getting Pokemon events so I'm going to make the trip to worlds LCQ for the hell of it.

As a last chance qualifier (for real this time!!) the location sucks for Americans and Europeans given how expensive it is to get there. However, that's really not the point. I mean, I will be rooting for OmegaDonut and the rest as much as the next person (probably a lot more), but the worlds last chance qualifier should really only be for the most dedicated of Pokemon trainers. This prevents people from just showing up because it's an hour away (cali, florida, indy..........) and having a chance to qualify for the WORLD Pokemon Tournament. Unlike Synre, I don't find it insulting that there's a second last chance, but really the only people the location sucks for are those who received an invitation to compete in Worlds but not the free trip.

That being said, give em hell, Donut!
Bullshit man. Dedication has NOTHING to do with the financial means to go to the Worlds. Either you have fuckin rich parents or you work your ass off and don't care about your family and social life and whatnot. This is valid for both the LCQ and unpaid invitations.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
All I meant by my statement is that it isn't someone just showing up because it's down the road and taking a spot. If you are selling things and working extra hours etc to go then you are more dedicated than someone who doesn't. You're basically saying that dedication has nothing to do with... dedicating time to getting yourself to Hawaii? It is not something I would do (seeing as my name is not on the front page of the thread) but that is because I am not dedicated to competing in the World tournament.

Also, I think I mentioned in that post that the location is really terrible for unpaid invitations. There is no argument there.

Yeah, I mean, I'm still very much of the opinion it's ridiculous this event exists at all, but there's not much argument(well, ignoring the "rich parents" thing...) that the people who are willing to spend gobs of time IRL to get cash for the event/cut into thier savings/sell shit/etc. to get there are more dedicated to the event than those of us who aren't, or who just went to local events, in the sense they're giving up the most to get there. It might be different than "dedication to the game" or whatever, which might be better quantified in practice time, but the location sure does maximize getting the people who'll give up the most spots.

Sucks for the 9th-16th seeded players, though, since the travel expense is massive for something they've already earned.

That said, I think that ensuring there are max spots for the most dedicated players is not such a good trade-off for making it so inaccessible for everyone. The location is always going to suck for someone - it's the nature of a worldwide event - but I'm not sure making it suck for everyone is a real logical alternative to at least making it viable for some. I know there's quite a few of us Americans who would have played anywhere on the mainland US, but won't be going to Hawaii due to the expense, at least.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
My only regret about it being in Hawaii is that it means less smogoners to come and chant

"O-ME-GA, O-ME-GA!" much like we did for Alaka in Indy! Good luck OmegaDonut, and all other smogoners competing. :)

OmegaDonut!!!!! You don't need luck man! Go and rape the Japs for Smogon man!

I'm going straighht to Worlds. Idk if I should use a team to break the format like Nats. :p

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You probably will want to use a different team, Milan. Our videos get watched and picked over as much as we do to the Japanese. They'll know what you used in Nationals. Count on it. :)

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the compliments! PokemanMaster, I'll still need luck to win it, because I'm pretty certain the big winners of the tournament are a) skilled people and b) lucky enough to beat out the other equally-skilled people.

My picks to make it in the LCQ:

- Trench Kamen
- WaterPokemonMaster and\or HagridTwin
- zerowing (if he comes)
- xerograde
- sister of the Junior National Champion (she had the unfortunate luck of facing xerograde 1st round in Phoenix, and me at Nats LCQ; she engineered his winning team)
- imperfectluck (if he uses a less silly lead than Jynx\Wobbuffet!)
- drcossack or ultimatedra
- myself

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Are the Arnolds actually coming? I know Gracie qualified, but didn't get a trip.

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
Nah even on pokemonvgc.com it lists her as one of the 9-16 competitors. They're listed in order of finishing.

You probably will want to use a different team, Milan. Our videos get watched and picked over as much as we do to the Japanese. They'll know what you used in Nationals. Count on it. :)
He is using a completely different team. I should know seeing I came up with it and RNG'ed 4/6 of the team and EV'ed 4/6 and gave the movesets to 4/6. So he's obvoiusly one of my top picks because of how I did that. I did some special CP and special BP just for that new team. Hopefully you'll all enjoy the pokemon NN'ed "Human FTW!" (Hey, I didn't ask him to NN it that, he chose to NN it that!), that is probably one of the most interesting pokemon on his team.

Thanks for the compliments! PokemanMaster, I'll still need luck to win it, because I'm pretty certain the big winners of the tournament are a) skilled people and b) lucky enough to beat out the other equally-skilled people.

My picks to make it in the LCQ:

- Trench Kamen
- WaterPokemonMaster and\or HagridTwin
- zerowing (if he comes)
- xerograde
- sister of the Junior National Champion (she had the unfortunate luck of facing xerograde 1st round in Phoenix, and me at Nats LCQ; she engineered his winning team)
- imperfectluck (if he uses a less silly lead than Jynx\Wobbuffet!)
- drcossack or ultimatedra
- myself
You wound me, Mike! Paul told me he won't be able to make it due to the cost, so if I do end up going (which is a very real possibility at this point), I will probably be using a team conceived by him, TTS, and myself.

Human is right.

This team is pretty interesting and will definitely be a showstopper. So, if anyone sees my battle on TV, you should watch. :P

And I assure you all that the Japs will NOT see this team coming. :)

Skarm-alright man. Though that TR team prolly still done great. :P lol

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
He is using a completely different team. I should know seeing I came up with it and RNG'ed 4/6 of the team and EV'ed 4/6 and gave the movesets to 4/6. So he's obvoiusly one of my top picks because of how I did that. I did some special CP and special BP just for that new team. Hopefully you'll all enjoy the pokemon NN'ed "Human FTW!" (Hey, I didn't ask him to NN it that, he chose to NN it that!), that is probably one of the most interesting pokemon on his team.
You wound me, Mike! Paul told me he won't be able to make it due to the cost, so if I do end up going (which is a very real possibility at this point), I will probably be using a team conceived by him, TTS, and myself.
Hey, I didn't know you were going. If not zerowing, you're my pick.

Hey, I didn't know you were going. If not zerowing, you're my pick.

Don't worry, I'm officially not going now =( Noob driving (protip: changing the song on your ipod while turning is a bad idea) led to me incurring a large unexpected loss, coupled with my parents' hesistancy to let me go to Hawaii alone, has dashed my hopes. If anyone wants to discuss strategy and/or practice, I would love to help.

The was meant to be the one pokemon NN'ed "Human FTW!". One has a gender confused name, and I am just re-EV training two pokemon then NN'ing them for him. Also I can't go to Worlds LCQ, family visiting from Israel and the cost, especially seeing I am only 14!

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
Don't worry, I'm officially not going now =( Noob driving (protip: changing the song on your ipod while turning is a bad idea) led to me incurring a large unexpected loss, coupled with my parents' hesistancy to let me go to Hawaii alone, has dashed my hopes. If anyone wants to discuss strategy and/or practice, I would love to help.
Ouch, that sucks, and, uh, yeah. lol.

I'll discuss strategy and practice - I'm easy to find on PO (and AIM, should you have it. Check facebook.)

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
My status is actually looking decent now, I forgot I had won $350 from fantasy football last year (that I haven't gotten yet), just want about $100 more and I'll be good money-wise. The only other problem as of right now is if I'll be in New York or California when Worlds does roll around.

My status is actually looking decent now, I forgot I had won $350 from fantasy football last year (that I haven't gotten yet), just want about $100 more and I'll be good money-wise. The only other problem as of right now is if I'll be in New York or California when Worlds does roll around.

Awesome! I hope you can make it, you are imo one of the best players in the US and you deserve a chance to prove it. Also cossack, I'm on vacation right now but I will be back by the weekend so expect me sometime this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)