Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 21 (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

symphonyx64

Private messages are the best way to reach me
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I have quite an odd question that I've been thinking about all day today, and since I just got home I don't feel like Google'ing for information, so might as well ask in here. Anyways, my question is this: would Hidden Power [Fire] be boosted/reduced by Sunny Day/Rain Dance (or Drought/Drizzle) or be boosted by STAB by the same typed HP user? I'm thinking no because Hidden Power still remains as a Normal-type move, so it wouldn't benefit from any of those things above, correct? I also believe Hidden Power can't be boosted by STAB with a Normal-type Pokemon using it because there is no Hidden Power "[Normal]", right?

Also, I know I asked this not too long ago in this section, but I have read up on a few articles here and there about using the Rotom Formes on Wi-Fi. Is it true that if you and your opponent both have Platinum versions that you can use any Rotom Appliance on Wi-Fi without it reverting back to regular Rotom Forme (or even Skymin/Shaymin-S or Giratina-O)? If that is true and you can use them against other Platinum version owners, then it kind of reveals you have a Rotom Forme on your team if you ask for a battle with Platinum players only. (Only answer this if you have played against another Platinum player with your Platinum version and with a Rotom Appliance Forme on Wi-Fi with it successfully maintaining it's forme/stats/appliance move. Also, please refrain from mentioning to me to use the AR code to play with a Rotom Forme on Wi-Fi; that is an unacceptable option for me.)

Thanks in advance to whoever can answer my questions. Also, when and/or if you do answer my questions, please elaborate on your answer to my questions with a brief description rather just saying "yes to that/no to that".

~ Aether Nexus
Yeah, Hidden Power does gain a boost or a reduction in weather. Depending on what the weather is of course. Yes, Hidden Power does receive a STABed boost if the user is of that same type. But, if you think about it, that would be rather silly. Lets say you give Jolteon Hidden Power Electric. Sure its STAbed, but the maximum base power is 70. Thunderbolt on the other hand is base power 95, and that too is STABed.

You're correct about the Hidden Power Normal question.

Are most Giratina-O's running HP Fire and a Timid nature these days? I'd look at the Shoddy usage statistics for October, but it looks like they aren't out yet.

In all honesty, I have recieved some traded pokemon that are shiny and flawless and not caught with a master ball....Nothing looks out of the ordinary (iv's, nature all match) The person says they RNG (these are all 4th gen by the way) Is there really any way for me to tell if they used an AR device with the shiny code, 100% catch rate, and 31 IV, or am I SOL.........I want to be a more competitive player, but I want 100 legit (please don't say then catch them yourself) I just want to be safe....Thanks in advance..

two questions...
best physical wall to stop tyranitar, metagross, salamence etc? (OU)
best special sweeper overall in ou?

two questions...
best physical wall to stop tyranitar, metagross, salamence etc? (OU)
best special sweeper overall in ou?
Tyranitar, Metagross, and Salamence are pretty much handled by Swampert. Hippowdon and Skarmory are other popular choices.

In all honesty, I have recieved some traded pokemon that are shiny and flawless and not caught with a master ball....Nothing looks out of the ordinary (iv's, nature all match) The person says they RNG (these are all 4th gen by the way) Is there really any way for me to tell if they used an AR device with the shiny code, 100% catch rate, and 31 IV, or am I SOL.........I want to be a more competitive player, but I want 100 legit (please don't say then catch them yourself) I just want to be safe....Thanks in advance..
Unfourtunetly, no. You cant. But what i like to do is pay close attention to WERE they captured the pokemon. For example, starly arent found on stark mountain, so if the stats say " met at level 7 at stark mountain", and it wasnt hatched there, i'll know it was hacked. But unfourtunetly, this too has its drawbacks, most hackers arent stupid enough to pull something that obvious.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Q: What makes Deoxys-D Uber? I mean, defensively, Cresselia is overall more bulky, Blissey is a much better special wall, etc.
Reliable recovery move (recover>moonlight), access to spikes\double screen\taunt (extremely wide movepool), 90 base Spe (which is absolutely respectable for a wall). I guess it's uber because it fullfills both the defensive and support characteristic. That's all I can think of.

In a Double Battle, if I use a two Pokemon that both have Pressure, and the opponent uses an attack that hits both of my Pokemon, will Pressure activate once, or twice, since the move targeted both pokemon? The criteria for Pressure to activate is that the Pokemon that has it as an ability must be targeted by an attack, and the in-game text just vaguely states that it 'raises foe's PP usage', instead of specifically saying that 'foe's moves use 2 PP instead of 1'.

Q: Right now my Groudon's moves are Sword Dance, Rock Polish, Earthquake, and Stone Edge. The suggestion suggests Dragon Claw over Sword Dance but I prefer both buffs at the same time. The question is....will I take too much damage to make myself an uber tank? Will it be worth it?

Are most Giratina-O's running HP Fire and a Timid nature these days? I'd look at the Shoddy usage statistics for October, but it looks like they aren't out yet.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63173

The person might have RNG abused them, in fact they most probably did. The only way to make sure is to get a hack check, which you would want to request in wifi's Simple Request thread. If it was me, I would just toss them. You don't want to be put on some variation of the Smogon Wifi Blacklist for a mistake like that.

Q: What makes Deoxys-D Uber? I mean, defensively, Cresselia is overall more bulky, Blissey is a much better special wall, etc.
Let's look at Deoxys-D. 50 Base HP isn't great, but with superb 160/160 Defences, access to a huge movepool (All of the Deoxys Formes moves combined), it wouldn't be too hard to turn it in to a sweeper. 252 HP, with hte rest spread around it's defences, a Calm Mind sweeper could dominate. Also, 90 base speed means it outspeeds Scizor with no investment (?), and KO with HP Fire. Recover / Calm Mind / HP Fire / Ice Beam or Thunderbolt would own. Plus the fact, as Haunter stated, it has nominations under Defensive and Supportive Characteristics, it's not hard to see why Deoxys-D could be dominating Pokemon.

The person might have RNG abused them, in fact they most probably did. The only way to make sure is to get a hack check, which you would want to request in wifi's Simple Request thread. If it was me, I would just toss them. You don't want to be put on some variation of the Smogon Wifi Blacklist for a mistake like that.[/QUOTE]

Thats my real question, lets say for example someone has caught a dialga at the right place but used the 100% catch rate/shiny/31iv codes...can the hack check program really tell me if it was hacked...do pokemon leave a digital trail??????

Does confusion always inflict the same damage? Does it take account of the stat modifiers? Is it the same damage formula as for the regular attacks? (with a base power of 40 typeless physical)?

Thanks

Does confusion always inflict the same damage? Does it take account of the stat modifiers? Is it the same damage formula as for the regular attacks? (with a base power of 40 typeless physical)?

Thanks
Confsuion does take in count Stat Modifiers. a +2 confused Lucario will take more confusion damage then +0 Lucario.

In a Double Battle, if I use a two Pokemon that both have Pressure, and the opponent uses an attack that hits both of my Pokemon, will Pressure activate once, or twice, since the move targeted both pokemon? The criteria for Pressure to activate is that the Pokemon that has it as an ability must be targeted by an attack, and the in-game text just vaguely states that it 'raises foe's PP usage', instead of specifically saying that 'foe's moves use 2 PP instead of 1'.
Pressure will activate twice and make the opponent lose a total of 3 PP. If they use a move that hits all three Pokemon and they all have Pressure, it will use 4 PP.

Edit:
how do i get onto the servers?
Assuming you mean Shoddy, you need to download it here.

how do i get onto the servers?
Assuming you mean Shoddy, you need to download it here.
^ This.
Or, if you have Shoddy and are unable to connect to a server, then make sure that you have a login on that server. Your normal Smogon username and password will not work with the Smogon server, for example (IIRC...)

Can you clock change abuse growing berries?
I don't think so, and I would not recommend trying as I have heard of people missing daily events as a result of clock-changing.

Q: Right now my Groudon's moves are Sword Dance, Rock Polish, Earthquake, and Stone Edge. The suggestion suggests Dragon Claw over Sword Dance but I prefer both buffs at the same time. The question is....will I take too much damage to make myself an uber tank? Will it be worth it?
According to the analysis, Dragon Claw is the preferred option because of the numerous dragon types in Ubers. It is more reliable against Rayquaza, Latios, and Palkia and does better damage against Giratina-O. But in my opinion, if you already have good dragon counters on your team, Swords Dance could be a lot more helpful. +2 Atk and Spe Groudon is unstoppable, unless a Stone Edge misses.

Are the effects of trapping moves (Fire Spin, Magma Storm, Wrap, Bind, Whirlpool, etc) Baton Passable? ie; Floatzel used Whirlpool on [Pokemon X], Floatzel used Baton Pass to [Pokemon A]. Is [Pokemon X] still trapped and/or hurt by the move?

I just finished EV-ing a pokemon and I went to the lady in Sunnyshore Market. She said "Oh! your jolteon worked so hard blah blah" and gave me the effort ribbon; however, it's not showing up on my pokemon's ribbon page. What's the deal?

Are the effects of trapping moves (Fire Spin, Magma Storm, Wrap, Bind, Whirlpool, etc) Baton Passable? ie; Floatzel used Whirlpool on [Pokemon X], Floatzel used Baton Pass to [Pokemon A]. Is [Pokemon X] still trapped and/or hurt by the move?
No, the effect of whirlpool/fire spin etc go away after the user switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)