New and 'creative' moveset/EV spread thread Mk. 5

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Here's a set I came up with that has been bringing me some success recently.

Ability: Pressure
Nature: Bold
IVs: 31 / * / 31 / 31 / 31 / *
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpDef
Moveset: Calm Mind / Ice Beam / Rest / Curse​

This guy is for late game when you have removed all of your opponents suspected Taunters.

Why would I want to bother raising Dusknoir's base 65 SpAtk, you might ask. Well, the SpAtk boost is nothing more than novelty. The important part of the Calm Mind is to boost the SpDef. After 1 Calm mind, Ice Beam can take out all versions of Salamence and survive the Life Orbed Outrage with pleanty of HP to spare afterwords.

Rest is there to heal after Curse, which is there to take out bulky Waters and Steels. You shoud be able to survive the two turns of sleep versus anything not named Weavile, but Weavile should have been taken out of the game by then anyways, as I would naturally suspect it to be carrying Taunt.

All of that stuff is pretty much novelty, as well, since the idea is to stall via Pressure. While Resting up, your opponent is firing off whatever it will do, while you are stat boosting the SpDef and making your opponent BEG for a critical hit.

Anything at (or after) +2 Calm Mind means loosing half of your HP using Curse does next to nothing when you can Rest back your HP, and more than survive the two turns you're taking a nap.
You might get outstalled by similar pokemon. I'm pretty sure crocune could outstall this set. Ice beam wouldn't do anything and with rest it might be able to take curse well.
Calcs: Max sp.atk Dusknior ice beam on Max sp.def Crocune 5%-6%
Max sp.atk Crocune surf on Max sp.def Dusknior 23.8%-28.6%
If you curse while he surfs, he can outspeed you next turn for a probable ko. You have a slight chance of surviving to rest, but not a lot. This is assuming sandstorm to cancel leaftovers.

A creative set nonetheless. Perhaps you can try to make a free moveslot for Mean Look. Cursed pokemon can't switch out this way and you can set up on them.
I did consider that, but I don't think Dusknoir is fast enought to outspeed anything that would matter against. Maybe if Trick Room was set up first before Dusknoir comes into play, but this set isn't really intended for TR.

You might get outstalled by similar pokemon. I'm pretty sure crocune could outstall this set. Ice beam wouldn't do anything and with rest it might be able to take curse well.
If you curse while he surfs, he can outspeed you next turn for a probable ko. You have a slight chance of surviving to rest, but not a lot. This is assuming sandstorm to cancel leaftovers.
Someone did bring this up to me on another forum, and I agree, survivng to Rest would be iffy.

Also, I was suggested to use either Shadow Ball (for STAB) or Dark Pulse so as to not get walled by CroCune. I haven't ran a damage calc. on it, but I'm pretty sure that even with the STAB Sadow Ball I still wouldn't be doing all that much damage even if it turned into a Calm Mind stall war.

I would HAVE to find a way to be able to BOTH Curse, and Rest, without risking the 2HKO. This could be troublesome, but I'm pretty sure I need the EV's more hwere they are placed right now. I do know that with SR, Lefties, and Sandstorm all factored in, with the HP and Def EVs where they are at now, Adamant, Scarf Flygon Outrage is a 3HKO.

I made a Houndoom set to use in OU and its been working pretty well so I'd like it to be checked out here...

Houndoom @ Life Orb
Mild Nature (+SpAtk -Def)
Flash Fire
EVs:
There were two EV spreads I had but I can't access the 2nd one now but this is the first one I made:
152 Attack [I forgot what it was for, but OHKOing 136 HP Starmie with SR up (by using Sucker Punch) was one of them] / 180 Special Attack / 176 Speed [outspeeds neutral nature base 85s by one point, more count be put in for +nature Heatran or +nature Gyarados]

-Fire Blast
-Dark Pulse
-Hidden Power (Ground)
-Sucker Punch

This set is supposed to sweep and when a Pokemon like Starmie who is weak to Sucker Punch attempts a revenge kill, hit them hard with Sucker Punch. Fire Blast and Dark Pulse are both good STAB moves and aren't resisted by many Pokemon, some of the ones that do being Poliwrath, Heatran, and Infernape. Hidden Power Ground provides coverage for a predicted hit on a Heatran or Infernape.

Calculations:
Sucker Punch
Sucker Punch vs 136 HP Starmie
254 Atk vs 206 Def & 295 HP (80 Base Power): 276 - 326 (93.56% - 110.51%)

Sucker Punch vs 4 HP Azelf
254 Atk vs 176 Def & 292 HP (80 Base Power): 320 - 380 (109.59% - 130.14%)

Sucker Punch vs 4 HP Salamence (No Intimidate factored in)
254 Atk vs 196 Def & 332 HP (80 Base Power): 145 - 172 (43.67% - 51.81%)

Sucker Punch vs 4 HP Salamence (Intimidate factored in)
169 Atk vs 196 Def & 332 HP (80 Base Power): 96 - 114 (28.92% - 34.34%)

Fire Blast:
Fire Blast vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Skarmory
330 Atk vs 262 Def & 334 HP (120 Base Power): 422 - 498 (126.35% - 149.10%)

Fire Blast vs 252 HP/92 SpDef +Nature Bronzong
330 Atk vs 320 Def & 338 HP (120 Base Power): 344 - 408 (101.78% - 120.71%)

Fire Blast vs 248 HP Zapdos
330 Atk vs 216 Def & 383 HP (120 Base Power): 256 - 303 (66.84% - 79.11%)

Fire Blast vs 4 HP Salamence
330 Atk vs 196 Def & 332 HP (120 Base Power): 141 - 166 (42.47% - 50.00%)

Dark Pulse:
Dark Pulse vs 188 HP Vaporeon
330 Atk vs 226 Def & 448 HP (80 Base Power): 165 - 195 (36.83% - 43.53%)

Dark Pulse vs 252 HP Suicune
330 Atk vs 266 Def & 404 HP (80 Base Power): 139 - 165 (34.41% - 40.84%)

Dark Pulse vs 4 HP Salamence
330 Atk vs 196 Def & 332 HP (80 Base Power): 189 - 223 (56.93% - 67.17%)

Dark Pulse vs 0 HP Gyarados
330 Atk vs 236 Def & 331 HP (80 Base Power): 156 - 184 (47.13% - 55.59%)

Hidden Power Ground
Hidden Power Ground vs 0 HP Heatran
330 Atk vs 248 Def & 323 HP (70 Base Power): 352 - 416 (108.98% - 128.79%)

Hidden Power Ground vs 0 HP Infernape
330 Atk vs 178 Def & 293 HP (70 Base Power): 244 - 288 (83.28% - 98.29%)

Hidden Power Ground vs 0 HP -Nature Infernape
330 Atk vs 160 Def & 293 HP (70 Base Power): 270 - 318 (92.15% - 108.53%)

Any opinions on how good this set is? Its more focused on battling against offensive teams instead of stall.

The Dusknoir idea looks interesting, but seems like it would be a huge pain to attempt to set up, and could be outstalled or even be forced to switch out in many situations. I would personally recommend curse as a unique, rarely seen move on Dusknoir because it works nicely with pain split. I'm not saying this set is bad, I would also be willing to test it a bit.

As for the Houndoom, I really wouldnt recommend using a Houndoom in OU no matter what the set is. Houndoom will be forced to switch out A LOT, and its weak to stealth rock, also gets OHKOd by almost everything because its so frail and isnt fast enough to outspeed many threats with its 95 base speed. You will even be walled by a Blissey who can force you to switch while getting a free turn to spread status or support its team. The best thing this set can do is suprise a few people, but many UUs can do that in battle, doesnt make them worth using in the long run.

Diploman, Infernape is always going to outspeed you before you can HP Ground. And Heatran would just switch :|
It's an interesting set, but I don't really see the thing that makes it sell.

Also, Houndoom in OU doesn't seem like a good idea with Blissey and TTar everywhere. And base 95 speed isn't fast at all.
If anything, I'd just put all the EV's into speed so it could outspeed +Spe Lucario. Even though it might just Extremespeed for the KO.

HP Ground is just for predicting a switch :/

Putting EVs into Speed could work I think and then a Naive nature would be better though since you don't get your Defense lowered letting you take E-speed better.

I don't think tanking E-Speed is a good idea at all.

Lucario LO Extremespeed 252 Atk [Jolly] vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Houndoom
319 Atk vs 136 Def & 291 HP (80 Base Power): 175 - 206 (60.14% - 70.79%)

Lucario LO Extremespeed 252 Atk [Adamant] vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Houndoom
350 Atk vs 136 Def & 291 HP (80 Base Power): 192 - 226 (65.98% - 77.66%)

After stealth rock damage and one turn of LO recoil Houndoom is dead pretty much, not worth the effort, and I can't see such a frail/slow sweeper working in OU :(

EDIT: calcs without a -Def nature, so yeah >.>

Slowbro
@ Leftovers
Nature: Brave | Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 180 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
-Belly Drum
-Trick Room
-Aqua Tail
-Zen Headbutt/Return

This is a beast. Works wonders in TR teams and teams that utilize DS to allow sweepers to setup. Basically, pair this up with a dual screener like Bronzong and bring this in on something weak, like Heatran locked in Fire Blast. Now Trick Room as they switch and then follow it up with a Belly Drum. Now you have max attack and bound to move first due to Trick Room. You also do not have to worry about priority because the common Bullet Punch, Mach Punch and Ice Shard will do next to no damage while Lucario's Extremespeed will do a little less than 30%. Only the rare STAB Sucker Punch has a chance to stop you.

Aqua Tail is for STAB and your next choice of attack depends on whether you want more coverage and accuracy with Return or more powerful STAB in the form of Zen Headbutt.

This TR BellyBro works so well because everyone suspects you are a supporting bulky water and will cause no threat to their team. Until they see the Belly Drum but by them it may be too late...

curse can be stacked, and is noir keeps using a combo of it and rest, he will beat suicune

I have using a Medicham lead and it works quite well.
Here's the Moveset:

Medicham @ Lum Berry
Nature: Adamant | Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk/6 Spe
-Low Kick/Focus Punch/High Jump Kick
-Bullet Punch
-Zen Headbutt/Psycho cut
-Ice Punch/Fire Punch/Return/Thunder Punch/Rock Slide

This thing can beat most leads, It OHKOs Machamp immediately, while Low Kick, 2Koes bulky leads, such as Bronzong, Metagross, and it 3KOs Swampert. Depending on which move, you choose for the last slot, the most troublesome lead is Jirachi, However, Fire Punch 2koes, and it doesn't really mind being tricked a scarf. With max HP, it can usually survive a hit.

Recommended Moveset:
Medicham@ Life Orb
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Pure Power
252 HP/252 Atk/6 Def
~High Jump Kick
~Bullet Punch
~Ice Punch
~Magic Coat

This is the most optimal set for the lead position, because it beats the most leads.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
curse can be stacked, and is noir keeps using a combo of it and rest, he will beat suicune
I ment the turn he uses curse and looses 50% health, crocune inflicts another ~25% health. Crocune will outspeed and inflict another ~25% for a ko most times, including SR and SS.

I have using a medicham lead and it works quite well.
Here's the moveset:

Medicham @ Lum Berry
Nature: Adamant | Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk/6 Spe
-Low Kick/Focus Punch/High Jump Kick
-Bullet Punch
-Zen Headbutt/Psycho cut
-Ice Punch/Fire Punch/Return/Thunder Punch/Rock Slide

This thing can beat most leads, It OHKOs Machamp immediatly, while Low Kick, 2Koes bulky leads, such as Bronzong, Metagross, and it 3 KOes Swampert. Depending on which move, you choose for the last slot, the most troublesome lead is Jirachi, However, Fire Punch 2koes, and it doesn't really mind being tricked a scarf. With max HP, it can usually survive a hit.
Doesn't work at all, think about it. The aim of a lead is to get rocks down, an anti-lead either stops or sets up while the other lead does their thing.
Azelf and Metagross just set up rocks like normal, and then explode on you.
Aerodactyl still gets Stealth Rock up, he doesn't mind getting killed.
Not sure what it would do to Swampert, probably not much >.>

EDIT: Focus Sash could make it work better IMO

Utilizing the Raikou event, you see, I will be one of the few, who will pick Raikou over Entie, if we ever get the chance

Raikou@ Choice Specs
Rash
252 Sp.Atk/252 Speed/6 Atk
~Thunderbolt/Thunder*
~Shadow Ball
~Aura Sphere
~Hidden Power Grass/Sleep Talk/Weather Ball*

Ok, this set is designed for OU usage obviously.
Thunderbolt, is for a consistent STAB, Shadow Ball and Aura Sphere provide unresisted coverage
HP Grass,for the ever so common Swampert.
Sleep Talk for a sleep absorber

*Only for Rain Dance teams, Thunder with 100% accuracy, and 150 Base Power Water type Weather Ball. Also Weather Ball, can be on any weather team, though the only one, I would consider other than Rain, is Hail

Special Calm Minder
Raikou@ Life Orb
Rash 252 Sp.Atk/252 Speed/6 HP
~Calm Mind
~Aura Sphere
~Thunderbolt
~Shadow Ball

This set is designed for Blissey killing, at +2 Aura Sphere will do 48% the most defensive Blssey set, which is normally only seen in Ubers
Its speed reaches 329, 1 point above +Speed nature, Base 100's which include Celebi, Salamence and Flygon
Raikou will do minimum 55% to the most defensive Celebi, at neutral boosts

@Sy123, I think it would be best to use Extremespeed [its an event move right?], I mean his Atk stat is not terrible, and it would help in finishing off some speedy pokes, especially since you are using a neutral speed nature. If you are using all Special moves, you are probably better off with a normal TBolt/HP Ice/Shadow Ball/CM or whatever..

"snipers dance"
kingdra@leftovers/life orb/scope lense
ability:sniper
nature:adamant
evs:116 def/140 atk/252 spe
moveset
-focus energy
-dragon dance
-waterfall
-outrage

items:- leftovers will help with hp recovery when you are setting up.
-life orb is to bring more power on the stab type moves but may not be good if your setting up.
-scope lense is put for,to better increase the chance to crit.

stategy:
this moveset relies on crits,kingdra needs to come in on someone that dosent do much, or he can be use as a lead but you will need to watch out for taunt leads like aerodoctyl or azelf.depending on the pokemon your faceing you do 1 of the following first:(a)dragon dance (b)focus energy.if your facing a defensive pokemon then focus energy, but if thereusing an offensive pokemon its better to use a dragon dance. waterfall is your first stab move with flinch as a back up ,this is your primary move which take out many pokemon with DD support.outrage is your secondry stab that will finish anything off and will take care of enemy dragons,imagine getting crit outrages. dragon dance helps your attacking power and speed so other pokemon like starme wont outspeed you.

@metalmulisha, I don't think a set like that would work too well, it would be more effective to run SubDD or YawnDD, also you would always DD first just so you can outspeed stuff >.> Also as a lead it wouldn't work, as mentioned Taunt ruins it, and Metagross/Heatran would just explode as you try to set up. Swampert could just Roar you out.

Salamence @ Leftovers
Nature: Timid
Ability: Intimidate
-Wish
-Draco Meteor
-Roar
-FireBlast

Ev's 88HP / 132Def / 212 SpAtk / 76 Spe

Ok so I wanted a new salamence for my new team so this is what I got.
I knew I wanted him to be (physically) bulky, recovery is always nice so I put wish on there DracoMeteor hits hard and fire blast works well with it.

I know the Ev's are kinda all over the place but they do work (:
88 in hp gets you to a nice leftovers number whilst providing extra bulk the defences EV's to keep it Bulky. 76 Ev's in Speed allow you to outspeed Adamant lucario and the rest is slopped into SpAtk for more power.

So you come in on a poke you know you can force out with your typing (and intimidate) and wish, then if you know you can live the attack you can roar its counter away or just hit hard with either of the two moves in the knowledge you'll get healed at the end of the turn.

This set works well with all Entry hazards most notably toxic spikes to build up status and momentum for the team.

The downside to this set is that you are completely walled by heatran so make sure you have a counter for it ;)

Doesn't work at all, think about it. The aim of a lead is to get rocks down, an anti-lead either stops or sets up while the other lead does their thing.
Azelf and Metagross just set up rocks like normal, and then explode on you.
Aerodactyl still gets Stealth Rock up, he doesn't mind getting killed.
Not sure what it would do to Swampert, probably not much >.>

EDIT: Focus Sash could make it work better IMO

The purpose of this lead is to be a frailer, more powerful Machamp, Life Orb could also be an item. Medicham beats around the same amount as Machamp does, may be even more. It may not have Payback, But its so much more powerful, it really doesn't need it. It can 2koe most leads, even the bulkiest leads. Swampert and Hippowdon can even 2koed, with Focus punch+Zen Headbutt/Low Kick. Low kick/Zen headbutt does about 50% to each. If Medicham has a sash, Reversal is massively powerful.

"snipers dance"
kingdra@leftovers/life orb/scope lense
ability:sniper
nature:adamant
evs:116 def/140 atk/252 spe
moveset
-focus energy
-dragon dance
-waterfall
-outrage
I've tried a set like this before as well, and I noticed that Agility is a nice option to use instead of DD.

I've tried a set like this before as well, and I noticed that Agility is a nice option to use instead of DD.
If you choose Agility, Instead of DD, Then the Evs should be changed, With one agility, it outspeeds, everything barring Ninjask+Electrode.
A good moveset for Kingdra could be:

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Sp. Atk/4 Spe
Naughty nature (+Atk, -Sp Def)
- Agility
- Draco Meteor
- Outrage
- Hydro Pump/Waterfall

It could function, almost like Mixmence, but with only one weakness, and not weak to SR. Empoleon could still counter this set with ease, and Scarf Flygon would also cause problems. If rain is up, then you dont need Agility, and you can replace it with Hydro pump or Waterfall.

Slowbro
@ Leftovers
Nature: Brave | Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 180 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
-Belly Drum
-Trick Room
-Aqua Tail
-Zen Headbutt/Return

This is a beast. Works wonders in TR teams and teams that utilize DS to allow sweepers to setup. Basically, pair this up with a dual screener like Bronzong and bring this in on something weak, like Heatran locked in Fire Blast. Now Trick Room as they switch and then follow it up with a Belly Drum. Now you have max attack and bound to move first due to Trick Room. You also do not have to worry about priority because the common Bullet Punch, Mach Punch and Ice Shard will do next to no damage while Lucario's Extremespeed will do a little less than 30%. Only the rare STAB Sucker Punch has a chance to stop you.

Aqua Tail is for STAB and your next choice of attack depends on whether you want more coverage and accuracy with Return or more powerful STAB in the form of Zen Headbutt.

This TR BellyBro works so well because everyone suspects you are a supporting bulky water and will cause no threat to their team. Until they see the Belly Drum but by them it may be too late...
This looks pretty good at a glance, but you'll be pretty vulnerable at half your HP and Trick Room only gives you three turns to sweep(Turn One, Trick Room. Turn Two, Belly Drum). Also, you don't have any recovery so you can only use this twice at the most and that's unlikely, what with Stealth Rock and co everywhere. If you're stopped by something that walls you, then that's pretty much it for Slowbro.

If it manages to set-up and sweep though, it would truly be a force. High risk, high reward.

Infernape@Life Orb
Nature: Jolly | Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
IVs: all 31
- Swords Dance
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat

This Infernape is used as a lead. No, there is no stealth rock here. The point is to predict what your opponent will do turn one. Seeing Infernape the slower leads will all think, fake out! so they Protect. Then of course I Swords Dance and sweep them off the board.

Infernape@Life Orb
Nature: Jolly | Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
IVs: all 31
- Swords Dance
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat

This Infernape is used as a lead. No, there is no stealth rock here. The point is to predict what your opponent will do turn one. Seeing Infernape the slower leads will all think, fake out! so they Protect. Then of course I Swords Dance and sweep them off the board.
I don't think this works properly, most leads will just SR and explode/attack you like normal, I ran a lead Monferno in OU using a similar set, and it actually was awesome. I will rewrite it as Infernape of course

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Jolly - Blaze
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
-Swords Dance
-Fire Punch
-Close Combat
-Mach Punch

Works pretty similar, but it allows you to set up Swords Dance effectively, and still stay alive after an attack. Mach Punch deals heavy damage to Heatran/faster pokes, and Fire Punch is extremely powerful once sash is activated, thanks to STAB and Blaze, Close Combat is an incredible attack >.>, of course this lead is not that great, just showing my version of the set you used.

Salamence @ Leftovers
Nature: Modest
Ability: Intimidate
-Wish
-Draco Meteor
-Roar
-FireBlast

Ev's 88HP / 132Def / 112 SpAtk / 176 Spe
This gives you the same speed/other stats, as well as more Special Attack so overall, this spread is better for that...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)