Flat Battle / Random Battle Discussion

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Although you do see ingame crams now and then, most of the teams played in random match are to a degree competent (unlike in PBR).
That's what I like to hear.
little entry hazards to "break" the illusion, the option of not even appearing in the 3 choices makes it aggravating to fight. On the other side, it can reveal 2/3 of the team though...
Exactly what i was expecting. Sounds like Zoroark has a niche after all.

Ehh I don't think so

Although you do see ingame crams now and then, most of the teams played in random match are to a degree competent (unlike in PBR).

I can second this. I've run into a total of 2 or 3 ingame teams. Everything else is EVed Japanese Teams.

The horror when you realize your opponent's Politoed likely has Drizzle is... indescribable.

As far as time out rules, I'm assuming they're similar to battle castle?

I've been looking everywhere for how it determines a winner when that time limit is hit... but there's no details on it anywhere.

It gives you a whole hour for a round though, which is , in all honesty, very practical. With timers everywhere. (2 minutes for choosing your team, 1 minute moves, 1 hour for a match, I think)

On a related note: Free battles are up and working for North America, ranked matches are down until website gets up, of course.

My first match.... is against a disconnecter of course, apparently disconnects don't show up on your record as a win or a loss, go figure.

So what are precisely the restrictions placed on Gen 3/4 only TMs, tutors and egg moves? Tutors and egg moves are okay, but TMs are not?

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
So what are precisely the restrictions placed on Gen 3/4 only TMs, tutors and egg moves? Tutors and egg moves are okay, but TMs are not?
For the Flat Battle mode itself, no restrictions. The only restrictions seem to be on the random battle mode (and even then there's conflicting results).

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
That's a relief. Don't Flat Battle and Random Battle use the same ruleset?
More or less. You can think of it as Flat Battle being the ruleset, and Random Battle is a multiplayer mode that happens to use Flat Battle rules.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
The only competent players I have had matches against on random have been Japanese. Everyone one else, crap.
1. How is that different than any other online game? :P

2. Considering that B&W only came out a few weeks ago outside of Japan, I bet a lot of players haven't had the time to put together a decent team yet.

1. How is that different than any other online game? :P

2. Considering that B&W only came out a few weeks ago outside of Japan, I bet a lot of players haven't had the time to put together a decent team yet.
1. True. But with Starcraft it's Koreans.

2. That is also true. I'm suprised people are not just using Pokesav, because my adamant Meinshao that has god-knows-what IVs outspeeds a majority of the pokes that are used by non-japanese players. Or is that detected by the game?

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
2. That is also true. I'm suprised people are not just using Pokesav, because my adamant Meinshao that has god-knows-what IVs outspeeds a majority of the pokes that are used by non-japanese players. Or is that detected by the game?
I don't use Pokesav. I actually catch and breed my Pokemon legitimately without the use of ROM flashcarts or cheat devices. I'm sure the majority of players do too.

That process takes time.

I don't use Pokesav. I actually catch and breed my Pokemon legitimately without the use of ROM flashcarts or cheat devices. I'm sure the majority of players do too.

That process takes time.
I might do that eventually but I am really going to loathe the process. Random IVs are good enough for me right now.

I'm actually going to look into your breeding guide.

I might do that eventually but I am really going to loathe the process. Random IVs are good enough for me right now.

I'm actually going to look into your breeding guide.
His breeding guide is pretty damn good, definitely gonna use that thing's help while I'm out to sea and have nothing to do off work.

So in everyone's opinion though which offers the bigger challenge, smogon metagame or flat battle? I'm not anywhere with a router (or a proper voltage outlet to charge my game boy...) so I haven't been able to play. On PO I've encountered almost nothing but weather and I saw earlier ya'll saying that while it's possible to abuse the fact you only get three can screw you if your opponent has anti-weather on their team.

Yeah, this, pretty much. It was a harsh realization when I realized that no one other than me beat the main game in two days and proceeded to make a full EVed team in two more. >_<

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
A few neat stuff I've seen in Singles Random Match:

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
- Substitute
- Protect
- Guillotine
- Earthquake / Bulldoze

Though I have not personally used this yet, in theory this could be extremely annoying to fight against, given the fact that it can make itself virtually invincible with Substitute and Protect, while punishing attempts to stall it out with Guillotine spamming (something Glisstall somewhat struggles to do normally in OU). Hates floating ghosts and Sturdy I guess, (and opposing Gliscor with Sub/SD or something), but otherwise it seems disturbing.

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Trait: Speed Boost
- Fire Blast
- Hi Jump Kick
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Okay this isn't all that interesting but I've used it (tossed Excadrill in the process because he was becoming almost useless) and it rips many teams apart. Speed Boost Blaziken appears to be extremely rare in Random Match too (probably because no one really has access to it...) and it doesn't appear that he's prepared for much, allowing room for destruction.

Honorable gimmick mention goes to an extremely strange Fire Blast/Ice Beam Expert Belt Regenerator Audino which almost swept my team the other day :(

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Honorable gimmick mention goes to an extremely strange Fire Blast/Ice Beam Expert Belt Regenerator Audino which almost swept my team the other day :(
Hell I'd give this more credibility than the Quick Claw Wailord that swept me in the Battle Subway.

Also, ran into a Cloyster using the boring Skill Link/Shell Smash/multi-hit move combo, except this time it had a King's Rock for a hold item. That was not fun, either I got ridiculously unlucky or, as I suspect, King's Rock activates each time Icicle Spear hits.

Getting swept by a Flying Gem Unburden Acrobat Drifblim was ... interesting.

I'm not sure if it says more about my team or the Drifblim.

Getting swept by a Flying Gem Unburden Acrobat Drifblim was ... interesting.

I'm not sure if it says more about my team or the Drifblim.
That's pretty clever, actually.

If it makes you feel better, my Life Orb Walrein has netted me some wins today:

Walrein @ Life Orb
Modest, Thick Fat
255 HP/255 Sp. Atk (I was lazy, okay?)
-Ice Beam
-Surf
-Hidden Power (Electric)
-Encore (I'm going to try replacing it with Hail)

Somehow, it works extremely well; it takes down Pokemon that I need to take down in order to win the battle. I do not know what, exactly, you would call this... thing. It's certainly not a sweeper, but definitely not a Stallrein. It's a tad bulky, but its typing sucks too much to be a bulky water. I'll go with, "An Abomination Made by a Lunatic", or "Aambal" for short, because I don't think this is how you're supposed to use a Walrein.

Random Singles is pretty fun, I have to admit, even if I'm half-trolling with that Walrein. Mostly competent opponents, and there seems to be more and more English-speakers coming on, which is good. I'm probably going to be playing Pokemon Black for a long time thanks to Random matches.

Cthullu if Cthullu was a Walrus

But yeah I'm finding BW's randoms a lot more fun than I did PBR's (and I actually enjoyed PBR). There's a surprising amount of variety in teams, and even if they aren't the best around it's still fun to fight. And it brought me a moment where Vanillish took down an Infernape which was wonderful.

so far ive only been testing out my trollgekiss, wish nicknames stayed lol.

standard air slash/kings rock/thunder wave BS has gotten a ton of disconnects, think it ends up at like 70-75% flinch rate? + paralysis chance

hes my only EV trained so far so i just put in 5 other morons and have at it.

Doubles battle versus 6 out of 7 Eeveelutions. Damn those Japanese.
I had a Single Battle against a team just like that earlier today. She was pretty good (only won due to some luck in team matchups and that Walrein), and it was a fun battle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)